Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Thursday 5 November

Good morning, yet another day in Comme des Garçons EdP for me...

Have a good day!
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th November 2009 at 04:41 AM. Reason: fatal error aka sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Thursday 5 November

Good morning all.Extremely sleepy today,so it was veeery tempting to just crawl back up in bed!.....I was a good girl,though, and didn't. Yesterday we had a really interesting lesson about drugs .A former Drugaddict had the lesson.An intersting field studywise,so that's why I force myself to school today! In an attempt to wake me up I've now had a shower, some black coffee and a generous spriz of L'ombre dans l'eau.Hope all is well with everyone!
    Last edited by ineespenes; 5th November 2009 at 02:53 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I started with EL PC Tuberose Gardenia and then progressed to my new bottle of Gucci By Gucci .
    Tigrushka and Dora- I hope you are much better today ! Many hugs !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Chergui again!
    I have a question for the panel: how to pronounce this name. I'm tending towards "shur-gwee" but I bet that's not right, is it? Come on - set me straight!

Small went off on her first school trip today with Kindergarten. She's 5 and she's going on the train to Zurich, then changing to a tram and going to the zoo, where she's going to see the elephants because that's what the class has been studying this last term. (Elmer has figured large in her life in recent months.) This is her first whole day without me and I will admit to a combination of terror about her wandering off and getting lost (she's infamously ditzy with a teeny-weeny attention span that makes a goldfish look focussed) and a guilty joy at having a WHOLE DAY to myself. I have a lunch date with a girlfriend. When did I last have one of those?

And then there will be time to sniff in peace. Wow! no speedsniffing: 'got to get back to my family waiting patiently in the cafe so I'll prioritise this and this; yup nice, yuk vile, OK, go go go...' and no sniffing with Small in tow. Although she's a sweetheart, there is usually a conversation that goes: 'darling, please don't touch. NO! Don't even go close to those really expensive bottles of extrait! No! Don't go stick your fingers in all the eyeshadows on the makeup counter and rub them all over your face... oh. You did already. Yes, honey, you look pretty. Let's go now. Quickly honey...'

Have a good one y'all!
    xxx
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Basenotes Plus

Shalimar Extrait
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

My old stalwart, Cabochard.

A fantastically bright, but chilly, autumn day. Cabochard smelled strangely spicy when I sprayed it on this morning. Very nice indeed!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

LOL, Wordie, that's just precious!! Enjoy your lunch date and unhurried sniffin'.

"Check Engine" light came on. I leave for Kentucky in two days. So I'm stopping by an auto parts place in hopes they can find it quick, tell me its something trivial and cold-weather related, and say I'm free to go without a care in the world. *crossing both fingers*

If they say otherwise... ugh... let's not think about that...

Nothing really feels right this morning... something interesting and different that doesn't get much wear. Usually a bit of almond and rose in the opening, then baby powder the rest of the time, which is a scent I really don't care for. But today feels different.... maybe...

Keiko Mecheri's
    Loukhoum

Wishing everyone the very best on this very early Thursday morning!
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Rochas Lui.

Top notes: Calabrian citron, neroli
    Middle notes: buffalo grass, sycamore wood, cedar
    Base notes: patchouli, amber plant, vanilla pulp

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Another day in Korres SAAC... The Agarwood in it is reaaaaaaaaally nice... A must try for everyone!!

+

Fred Miller Above -- it arrived yesterday. Sweet and light, morning scent with fruity notes on a light vanilla base. Marshmellow -- very light Allure Sensuelle (almost wanted to add Summer Mist to that) -- are the first comparisons springing to mind.

LOL @ W's "Quickly honey" and please enjoy your day. Small will be fine, there are trained professionals there with them all. Actually, the best insurance for the people who wander that they would not wander off is assigning a partner to be with them at all times, perhaps that's what they will use today.

Keeping my fingers crossed for EM -- now that you need that car more then anything else in the surrounding world!

Make it good, bunch!

Dear Exquisitely me- SOON ! YAY !

Wordie- ah, 5 year olds ! Wonderful, exhausting.
    Enjoy your free time, sweet one.

I'm off early in Arpege, for oral surgery.
    Hoping our BN honeys are healing up, in this crazy weather.

Feel well, do well, be well...MWAH.

Wordbird - your daughter sounds absolutely adorable - a little beauty queen in the making! I hope you enjoyed your day to yourself

Today I was feeling a little uninspired by La Perla's Charme, it's OK but nothing to rave about and I'm not entirely sure why I bought a bottle of this. I really must sort out my sampling system and start making some more planned purchases - such as Iris Noile which I cannot get out of my head.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

It's been so long since I last posted, I am sorry.

I'm wearing Coeur d'Été today, I find it very comforting and it's what I need at the moment. I don't think of it as a summer scent at all, especially as I mainly get the banana & chocolate.

Bulgari BLACK

Thumbs up Re: SotD Thursday 5 November

Christopher Sheldrake's ARABIE

Serge Lutens

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Wordbird, enjoy your afternoon to yourself; as much as you give to everyone else you have to remember to take some "me" time.
    Sending out car vibes to exquisitely me's check engine light. We don't want something like engineering to get in the way of our young lovers' weekend together.

Wearing something new for me.

Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur

The 2007 release from James Heeley's eponymous fragrance line, Cuir Pleine Fleur, is often seen renamed as Fine Leather on some english speaking sources. When I looked up the real translation of the words it strictly translates to "leather full flower". While fine leather captures one aspect of this fragrance it is the strict translation that really tells the full story as the presence of a floral accord is what makes this leather scent stand out from others. The top of Cuir Pleine Fleur is all fleur as violet and mimosa bring this scent to life. Violet is one of my more favorite floral accords and the violet here is one of the better vioilet accords I've come across. It is tricky working with violet as too much and it becomes sharp and bitter. Here the mimosa rounds off those sharp edges with a dollop of sweet floral and helps accentuate the softer side of violet. The heart is where the leather shows up along with a deep slug of birch. This is a full-throated leather and oddly appropriate in combination with the violet at the top. There is a moment in the development where the violet is waning and the leather is in its ascendancy that I have a short period of unusual beauty as the floral and leather aspects are sublimely balanced. The base is a smoky vetiver which supports the continued presence of the birch and leather and give a little bite to the drydown. Cuir Pleine Fleur has above average longevity and moderate sillage, on me. Each Heeley I try has found a way to make me appreciate a note I think I know well in a new way. This is true in the case of Cuir Pleine Fleur not only for the central leather note but also for the violet and in both cases the results are eye-opening.

Have a Towering Thursday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

L'Occitane Eau de Badian today
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    ...."'darling, please don't touch. NO! Don't even go close to those really expensive bottles of extrait! No! Don't go stick your fingers in all the eyeshadows on the makeup counter and rub them all over your face... oh. You did already. Yes, honey, you look pretty. Let's go now. Quickly honey..."

Yesterday's mailbox belched forth a HUGE packet of sample goodies from the divine Carlita and I eagerly rolled on
    POTL's Luctor et Emergo
    before coming downstairs.....

Big mistake. For some reason it's all fake cherries and almonds this ayem instead of the lightly sweet flower-kissed and slightly leathery semi-loukhoum I remember.

Headed for the bathroom and something with bite....will report.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 5th November 2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Credit where credit is due....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Wordbird - enjoy your adult time! Now it's your turn to stick your finger in all the eyeshadows on the makeup counter

EM - good luck with the auto mechanic. If you have a large, mean looking male friend (one who looks like he could bend concrete supporting rods with his bare hands, preferrably) - bringing him along wouldn't be a bad idea. I find you get much better service that way

--------------------------------------------------------------

Gearing up to go to a Service Excellence breakfast and awards thingie. Still can't believe I've been nominated for an award at this level. And can't shake the feeling that winning it would be a double-edged sword. Been enjoying my relative anonymity. Maybe I should have worn a wig and contacts today

Making things more interesting - since most of my co-workers are at a conference, I get to drag along a motley crew of "IT folks". In all of their rumpled, slovenly glory. I am looking forward to conversations on World of Warcraft raid strategy and the pros/cons of Windows 7.

These things make me nervous. Wish me luck....

Oh yeah - wearing Barbara Bui in hopes that the incense makes me less anxious.....

Will let you all know how it goes......
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Stumbled out of bed, still getting whiffs of L'Occitane Honey & Lemon, so I hit myself with another spritz to see myself through getting the DS off to school. He's in a mood, we had a "gerbils escape & encounter kitties" drama last night, and one gerbil is still missing. I need another hit of caffeine to deal with the hysteria.

Positive juju going out to those in need. Is it Friday yet?
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Frapin 1270 for me today. Yummy

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Where's Brielle to confirm our French pronunciation? I'll take a stab at Chergui.

Shay-(hint of guttural R and soft G phlemed together)-ee.

I can't consistently bring myself to say "queer" for cuir because "cure" seems more apropos leather.

Daughter's headed out to work, now the shower's mine. Back lay-tah, gay-tahs.
    Last edited by Quarry; 5th November 2009 at 01:08 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

no. 19 it is
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Hope you find the missing gerbil Outlandish...kitties and gerbils don't mix! Keeping fingers (& toes) crossed for Exquisitely_me for a quick auto fix! A major award for Sakecat? Hip hip hooray! This is no time to be shy, revel in the glory that is deservedly yours today! Sending healing vibes & plenty of painkillers to our Chaya...soup is definitely in order! May everyone's troubles evaporate quickly, stay strong - it's almost Friday!!!

Coromandel, from a sample - hugs & kisses to G!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 5th November 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Wordbird, I believe it is Share-gwee', but you swallow the R making it gutteral and in the "gui" part, the G is sort of breathed, with the mouth in the position to say "oo" but the sound "ee" coming out.

Much easier than the sounds for Dutch words starting in Sch that I recently learned how to pronounce...I think my mouth was never meant to move in such a way

Congratulations to Sake Cat--you paint a hilarious picture in my mind. I'm thinking of the comic book guy on the Simpsons now, lol. Exquisitely me, fingers crossed that all you need is an oil change and air pressure in your tires checked!

SotD, haven't decided yet...will report later.

Wordbird, enjoy your "grown-up" time! (And yes, bringing Small a sample or two from your outing is totally okay...)

EM, best of luck with the car. And if you don't have the huge, threatening male friend Sakecat recommends, try crying and explaining about your planned love-nest getaway and the whole long-distance relationship drama.

Speaking of Sakecat, go get 'em, ScentDaughter! Rather than hiding under the table, revel in being recognized for the fact that you do a great job. Woo-hoo!

The bunnies escaped again yesterday afternoon (successfully recaptured after just a few minutes). I still maintain that HonDon has a wild bunny girlfriend. Honestly. Kids.

Today I'm wearing a new one from Neil Morris Fragrances: Ayour, which means "moon."

True to its name, I find it luminous, gently evolving and gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous -- completely FB worthy. I hate being in a period of fiscal austerity.

Ayour notes include: Fig, Pomegranate, Aldehydes, Elemi, Cedar, Oud and Arabian Frankincense.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 5th November 2009 at 01:15 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Amouage Silver Cologne
    Wishlist is pointless.

Whew!

(Thanks for the intro Mario!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Hi everyone!

Tuxedo by Ralph Lauren is on my left arm, and Tuxedo by Irma Shorell is on the right. Both sides smell incredible!

I received the LLP version of Tuxedo yesterday, and it's very good - I'm thrilled! Now I can stock up on several bottles of this, and finally be able to enjoy the real stuff sans worry (I have a hard time using anything vintage/discontinued unless I have a few back-ups.)

I love this smooth, soft leathery chypre and the LLP version isn't letting me down at all. It's been about an hour and they've been practically identical so far. But I'll have to wait and see if the LLP has the original's longevity - remember back in the 70s and 80s when the cologne strength had a full day's wear in it?

Interesting note (to me, at least) - Tuxedo has a bit of peach in it, and I think this is the reason it has always reminded me a bit of Mitsouko. I'm sure they share several other notes, so I'm not sure why I find it surprising.

Okay then - y'all have a great day!

Amouage Jubilation 25

Tom Ford Champaca Absolute.

In the midst of booking a trip for my partner's mum and me to Bruges to celebrate her 75th birthday in December. She was largely grounded caring for my partner's dad for the past 15 years until his death earlier this year, and hasn't been abroad for more like 30, so it will be a bit of an adventure, hopefully!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Mandragore. I've got the big bottle. Anybody need some?

Hope you all get what you're wishing for: safe travels, good health, deserved awards, and happy smells.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Banned

Random Scent of The Day
    Serge Lutens
    Tubereuse Criminelle

SotD now established Bois 1920 Sandalo e The.

Parfum d'Odette for me today, same house as ComDiva. Wow. I want to sniff Ayour.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Frapin 1270 for me today. Yummy
    Same here, and loving that yumminess!

I hope the day goes well for everyone. Towering, even, as SMM suggests!

Basenotes Plus

Wordie, I hope you relaxed and enjoyed your time. (It's nervewracking at first, I know! It does get easier.)
    EM - keeping fingers crossed for the car!
    (((((Chaya,))))) hope the oral surgery is over and done with before you know it.
    Evangeline, welcome to Basenotes! I haven't tried LLP's version of Tuxedo but do have their version of Venezia (xoxo Twolf!) and it is beautiful and virtually spot-on.

Sotd is the wonderful Bal a Versailles.

Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Talking Re: SotD Thursday 5 November

LUSH VANILLARY )) XX one of the best vanilla frags ever ( in my opinion ) ))

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    And then there will be time to sniff in peace. Wow! no speedsniffing: 'got to get back to my family waiting patiently in the cafe so I'll prioritise this and this; yup nice, yuk vile, OK, go go go...' and no sniffing with Small in tow. Although she's a sweetheart, there is usually a conversation that goes: 'darling, please don't touch. NO! Don't even go close to those really expensive bottles of extrait! No! Don't go stick your fingers in all the eyeshadows on the makeup counter and rub them all over your face... oh. You did already. Yes, honey, you look pretty. Let's go now. Quickly honey...' ...
    This made me giggle Wordbird.

For me today it's: Private Collection (parfum) by Estee Lauder

The citrus and green aspects of this scent remind me of a masculine eaux colognes, but thickened and distilled into a denser and concentrated smell. I swear I only dabbed from the bottle and I am heavily scented. This stuff is incredibly strong.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Terre d'Hermes parfum

Just some Japanses Cherry Blossom lotion today.

Anthousa Fig & Vetiver today. The generous Tao had given me a sample of it awhile back and I finally hunted down a decant of it, so I sprayed away liberally this morning. A little too liberally. Hopefully it will settle into the background a bit as the day wears on. Take care, all!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Going for my walk today in B&BW Violet Bouquet EdT, which I haven't worn much in the past because I have so many other violets frags.

This one has some similarity with AG La Violette in that there is a rose note, but it is less sweet. It is quite pleasant and easy to wear.

Toni Gard EP for me today. Almondy goodness!

Happy Thursday!

I am swimming lovely in Knowing today. Yesterday wore OJ Man, which comes off quite femme on me. I shall have to use it more.

I was off work yesterday, unusual for a Wed. Took advantage of it and cleaned house mid-week, and met my Dad for lunch in town.

Sakecat - cool congrats to you!

Received my 1804 today, but will have to wait til later to use it. Knowing will be around for awhile.....
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Wordbird; once again your way with words and imagery is perfect

I'm in Ambre Sultan today. Still seem to be circling around Daim Blond - Ambre Sultan - EL Pleasures Delight like a planet pulled in by gravity. Wonder what will tear me away?

a.m. Chanel 19 edt
    p.m. Cuir de Russie parfum

Have a great day!

Basenotes Plus

Natori body cream & edp

Miss Tao, POTL has never sat right on me either, not a single time. No disrespect, but it is a total scrubber on me and my tolerance for very sweet is quite high.

Sakecat, you are a winner already in my eyes! We need more details: what was celebrated, what was served and how other people were smelling. Any particular purse/scarf/pair of shoes that caught your attention?

Chergui: I say "Sher-ghee'" with the second syllable accented.

Knowing in perfume on the neck and 4 Ajne scents on the wrists and arms for the afternoon.

Hi everyone! Started my day in cheap thrills: Pacifica's Mediterranean Fig. Am now in vintage Black Cashmere. Chere Quarry, did you know that a chergui is a desert wind?
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Chanel Bois des Isles. Woke up with the idea of sandalwood... and this is the best one IMO

I have a terrific story (NOT) about me, POTL, a migraine, and the toilet. Blech. I can't imagine what it would take to make me want to smell it again.

Scent of the Afternoon is Tokyomilk Honey & the Moon. It is pretty sweet so far, but I'm sure there will be times when this suits my mood. What is slightly off putting is that is seems sticky where I sprayed it on my skin.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Ready for bed! SotE, Ava Luxe's Opoponax Intense...

Hello! I wore D&G Feminine as SotD for subbing. I'm sampling Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange as SotE. I totally get this one. Almost makes me want to take up smoking again. I get a salty aspect that I thought might be vetiver, but it's not listed in the notes. Love the hay, love the tobacco. The jasmine keeps it from getting too butch. Very nice!

Wordie, love the Small stories (as usual). I would have thought share-GHEE, based on high school and college French courses. But what do I know? HS and college French and all I can do is ask directions and nod uncomprehendingly.

I hope everyone is well today. I've been busy, but it's good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post

Sakecat, you are a winner already in my eyes! We need more details: what was celebrated, what was served and how other people were smelling. Any particular purse/scarf/pair of shoes that caught your attention?
    Thanks! Unfortunately, this is more of a "no good deed goes unpunished" sort of situation. The awards ceremony itself was a political quagmire. Long story I won't get into. Let's just say I'm glad it's over. Now it's just a matter of seeing when the knives are coming.

We didn't find out who nominated us or what they said until we went to the breakfast. Turns out I was nominated by someone highly respected at the university outside my department. A big deal in and of itself in my book. Didn't win - which was fine by me. The folks who did win deserved it. I think I'm a bit too ornery to fully deserve a university-wide service excellence prize. (And if they heard me cussing at some of the things coming across my e-mail this afternoon, they would have reconsidered the nomination. )

Everyone was dressed unusually nice (well, except for my IT date who really does look like a human version of the Simpsons comic book guy. Even grew a beard recently - which makes the resemblance even creepier) - but nothing really stood out.

The only scents I really picked up were oversprays of commercial fruity florals of indeterminate origin. Nothing I wanted to race over and figure out what they were wearing.

Breakfast was good. I had fresh fruit (that was actually FRESH - a feat for university catering) and an onion bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese and lots of coffee.

My HR counterpart and I have decided that we are going to nominate each other next year so we can have breakfast again.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

'Chergui' is a variant of the Arabic 'sharqi' ('Eastern', as in the wind). The stress is on the first syllable.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I am scent twins and a grateful BNer for MikePerez today, wearing Private Collection courtesy of his own marvellous stash......I used to love to sample this one from the testers, back when I was a mall-employed teen in the mid 80s...I had forgotten how gloriously herbal and vegetal the original PC is. It amazes me how unisex it is, too. Current feminine releases are all sugar and flowers, the 70s green chypres are so refreshing!

Good Golly, it's a good thing I don't live in the vicinity of Minou2, I would have spent my day sniffing her gorgeousness! Two of my big favorites.

I got a little package from Ava Luxe today....I got the oils for No 23 and Opponax Intense, two longtime faves, but also a blind buy of Tao. I think Tao will be my SotE so I can come back and leave a review!
    Last edited by YouCanCallMeMo; 5th November 2009 at 10:19 PM.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Coco
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer