Code of Conduct

Default What's Missing in my wardrobe?

ok, So it's been a few months since I've been here on BN, and it's been one bottle after another of blind buying. so far so good, Only a few misses (Ck Obsession, Halston z-14, Dunhill edition (all three have cinnamon notes, I can't stand cinnamon. :\ )

Cheapies that... well.. smell cheap... Lucky no.6 (awfully cheap, sold for twice it's price.lol) Hummer and America. next person in the same country as me, I'm selling these for peanuts.

so anyway, I've got my eyes on a few bottles and I'm wondering if any of these would be redundant with what I already have. Please comment on what you think I should add to my collection. Budget is roughly 120$ MAX for a 100-125ml bottle. although right now I'm looking at 50ml bottles more...

here's a shot of my current wardrobe. with days scents on the bottom and night up top (I Live in a place where it's summer all year round, so I can't sort by season)

I have my eye on:
    Narciso Rodriguez
    Terre D'Hermes
    Eau D'orange concentre
    Polo Green/Modern Reserve
    Mugler Cologne.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Default Re: What's Missing in my wardrobe?

Are you only interested in the ones you listed? You don't have one single floral..or any women's scents...what about a classic like Mitsouko?

I Have Kenzo power and Grey Flannel, if that counts as a floral. any suggestion on what florals I should try?

I'm reading reviews on Mitsouko now, Seems like something atleast interesting to try.
    :thanks:
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

What about Givenchy Insense? A good quality approachable floral, but more in the masculine realm. You can often find the old bottle for reasonable prices at discounters, etc.

Guerlain is always a good option...Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Vol de Nuit...all easy to wear floral/oriental/chypres.

In your wardrobe you only miss space ... I would add Narciso and TdH from your list , and from mine Dior Homme Intense
    Last edited by Igorbg; 5th November 2009 at 03:17 PM.

Agree with above...I think you need some more classics in there. You have Grey Flannel and Vetiver, but how about something a little less green? Maybe Habit Rouge, Aramis (I think you would like Aramis a lot based on your wardrobe ratings), or a classic citrus like YSL PH?

If you're looking to stay within the ones listed, I think I'd go with Eau d'Orange or TdH, but I'm a Hermes hound.

Also, if I may make another suggestion...I see you have several one and two star fragrances in your drobe. Maybe get rid of those (swap or sell) and try to get something more to your taste.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I've been eyeing Dior homme intense too, only a matter of time before I pull the trigger on that as well.

@LiveJazz: Funny, I've never read reviews for Aramis before, always figured it to be something I wouldn't like, I've been interested in Patchouli recently, and I need leather in my life, so Maybe I shoudl give that a try. I do plan on getting rid of some of my less used fragrances, but I should add that I'm more of a "variety" kind of guy, as I've mention in another thread, I'd rather have this wardrobe than say... 3 Holy grails, as I would bore of them in a month or two. so far these 1-2 star bottles serves as filler so I won't tire of my favorites. I Guess I'm building up my wardrobe to be a large collection of only favorites, and I think I should take my time with exhausting the Designer pool before moving on to niche. but yeah... rambling again.

@Sofresh: thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them soon since I've been looking into getting my 2nd Guerlain. Tried guerlain homme, but I don't think it was reall FBW. :\

looks like you lean towards heavier, darker scents. also a bit of orientals.

you may want to add Ungaro III (deep red rose based) & a lively citrus based scent like either Homme de Gres by Gres of Agua de Loewe by Loewe.
    Last edited by jenson; 5th November 2009 at 03:36 PM.

Are you still not a fan of the 80s powerhouses ?
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Are you still not a fan of the 80s powerhouses ?
    Who ever said I wasn't ? I'm actually been trying to see about getting a few. I just don't know where to start. as usual, nothing too animalic, or poopic like Fleur Du Male please.

@jenson: It's funny how I always read reviews saying "this smells like a million other Citrus based scents" . . And I don't think I even have a scent that's based on citrus? I Think the closest to citrus I have is Live Jazz and Power with it's Fizzy citrus opening that lasts about 5 minutes. lol. thanks for the suggestion and I'll take a look on those and try to get samples or bottles if they're cheap enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    @LiveJazz: Funny, I've never read reviews for Aramis before, always figured it to be something I wouldn't like, I've been interested in Patchouli recently, and I need leather in my life, so Maybe I shoudl give that a try.
    It's a very approachable, friendly leather. I thought of it because you're a big fan of Dirty English, which to me is sort of like a woodier Aramis. Be warned though that the topnotes are kind of stereotypically "old" (and I hate using that word) with a strong, sour, aldehydic citrus and spice combo. Give it a few minutes and it will give back.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 5th November 2009 at 03:44 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Wow, now it sounds like I'm going to like Aramis, To be honest, I live in a place where Not very many people use fragrances, if they do, It's usually something like Cool Water or Polo Sport, the only association I have with "Old" would be Patchouli, or atleast I think it's patchouli, ESCADA Pour Homme definitely smells "old" to me, as well as Rive Gauche, probably because it smells like something my dad used to wear. Was it Brut, or maybe Chaps ? Not sure.... but everything else is pretty fair game, except maybe for old lady notes, which I find M7 to be, and old lady scent... sorry to its fans, but most of my grandma's chinese friends smell like m7. :\
    Last edited by TimothyX; 5th November 2009 at 03:52 PM.

I used to be afraid to wear "old" scents last time but I took a chance and bought Eau Sauvage. After that I really got a different perspective about "old" scents. I don't call them "old" anymore but rather I label them as the classics. So take a risk and why not get a classic masculine.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Seems like you have a lifetime supply of perfumes. I can't see what all the bottles are and you didn't list the names, but I don't see a tea scent (surprisingly useful at times) or a true tobacco scent. As others have mentioned, an orange scent might fit in nicely

For florals, it might be worth looking for a dark rose and an iris fragrance. Those would definitely be "sample first" categories, and you might have to look to the ladies' side of the perfume store.

Maybe an "incense" fragrance as well?

How about a classic eau de cologne? I'm no citrus fan either, but I really miss my Jean Marie Farina sample for when I am just getting out of the shower.

Dependent

Have you tried Baby Blue Jeans? (Powdery sharp lemon and herbs)

If you want a floral, Bulgari Soir is a little creamy and full of florals and woods, on top of the tea. Worth checking out.

I'd have 2nd Jonny's mention of Eau Sauvage, but in the case where you are unable to smell it first, there is that animalic, herbal accord to it that one may relate to as "old world".

I think the first 2 can be had below 40 each? The Eau Sauvage is a tad more pricey but definitely still within your budget.

Edit: From the list you provided, I'd pick TdH and/or NR.
    Last edited by MFJ; 5th November 2009 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louslice View Post
    Seems like you have a lifetime supply of perfumes. I can't see what all the bottles are and you didn't list the names, but I don't see a tea scent (surprisingly useful at times) or a true tobacco scent. As others have mentioned, an orange scent might fit in nicely
    I'm not sure I quite "get" tobacco. I've tried and owned D&G PH, and currently love Guerlain Vetiver, and I don't smell tobacco in there, maybe it's because I'm a smoker and Can't even smell my room if it smells like ciggarette smoke, but other have been more observant than myself about the smell.

The names are on "My Wardrobe"

Hi Matt, always glad to hear from you I'm deffo going try those out soon. Soir does sound good.

Dependent

Hi Matt, always glad to hear from you I'm deffo going try those out soon. Soir does sound good.
    Always glad to help.

+1 for a female scent.

You and share quite a few frags, and I would recommend Black Orchid (the EdP version only, and not that Voile de Funk stuff). It will satisfy your darker side, yet bring an introduction to new possibilities.

You should also check out either Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin or Kenzo Air. You have Kenzo Power, which is uncharacteristically light in comparison to its neighbors. I don't see much Anise in your drobe. (That was not meant to sound as Cuir as it did.)

Fantastic looking wardrobe Tim! A few fabulous and affordable suggestions if I may...

Gourmand Citrus - L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme ($54 for 4.2oz EdT @ Fragrancenet)
    Spicy Citrus - Mandragore by Aniick Goutal ($74 for 3.4oz EdT @ Fragrancenet)
    Tobacco - Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris ($63 for 1.7oz EdP @ Fragrancenet)

In regards to what you currently have your eye on, TdH is the definite winner, although my opinion may be slightly bias as I do own a bottle of this myself. All I can say is you will not be disappointed!

Also, in regards to the Dior Homme Intense, it would be a nice addition if you enjoy gourmand type scents, but since you're looking for a floral I would still stick to the original as I find the iris to be much more prominent and absolutely fantastic! I'm recommending this based on the cooler climate I live in.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by scentaddiction View Post
    +1 for a female scent.

You and share quite a few frags, and I would recommend Black Orchid (the EdP version only, and not that Voile de Funk stuff). It will satisfy your darker side, yet bring an introduction to new possibilities.

You should also check out either Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin or Kenzo Air. You have Kenzo Power, which is uncharacteristically light in comparison to its neighbors. I don't see much Anise in your drobe. (That was not meant to sound as Cuir as it did.)
    Power was supposed to go on the bottom part, but I thought it looked cool besides A*men, to amplify the Bling. :brolly:

I'm getting really nice suggestions outta this thread. Thanks guys.
    @Warlandsboy : Niiice, I'm reading up on those now and I'll to figure out which ones I like based on the reviews. I'm not looking to get more sweet scents since I've about enough to go around, so I think Dior Homme might be a better idea,no?

@everyone:
    I don't know if you've noticed, but most of my night time scents are either orientals or gourmands, sans a few dark green scents, I've always felt like I'm missing out on a certain group of scents that's appropriate for night outs or for the cold...and with this thread, I think should be looking at florals more... maybe even incense... any more suggestions ?

How about Kouros ?

How about L'air Du Desert Marocain ?

Or something from Frederic Malle ? Musc Ravageur

Or MPG ? Parfum d'Habit

Or some modern classic from Nicolai ? New York
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I'm not looking to get more sweet scents since I've about enough to go around, so I think Dior Homme might be a better idea,no?

I've always felt like I'm missing out on a certain group of scents that's appropriate for night outs or for the cold...and with this thread, I think should be looking at florals more... maybe even incense... any more suggestions ?
    Yes, I think Dior Homme may be the better choice as its not as sweet as the Intense.

Also, I totally forgot to recommend Fahrenheit Absolute - this is a great choice for an oriental incense. Try it out if you can I think you'll like it.

You know what, I think you hit what I'm looking for spot on.
    I just might get your suggestions if I spot a good deal on those. Thanks.

Wow, now it sounds like I'm going to like Aramis. :\
    I usually chuckle at the notion of a fragrance smelling "old" or "dated", but in the case of Aramis, I can understand. I must have an association of Aramis with old men. I also find Aramis to be far too strong on me. I can detect this fragrance about 30 feet away. It's a classic to be sure, but it certainly did not appeal to me one bit.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    How about L'air Du Desert Marocain ?

Or something from Frederic Malle ? Musc Ravageur
    A, I think those may be a little over 120$/100-125ml