Code of Conduct

Default Help with Cherry Blossom

Hi all,

I want to buy a friend of mine a little bottle of something for Xmas.
    She adores the smell of cherry blossom!

I don't want to go niche or toooo expensive.

Now I havent ever tried Bath & Body Works Cherry Blossom edt, as I'm in the UK. But I certainly don't mind getting some shipped over or checking ebay for some if this smells like just the thing.

Might there be something else prediminently cherry blossom that I could think about getting her?

Thanks all
    x

Default Re: Help with Cherry Blossom

Hello there, Goldiloks -

The BBW Cherry Blossom is nice, but nothing really memorable, imo. If I recall it actually smelled a bit of maraschino cherry. I think it's a nice choice for bath and body products, but I'd look elsewhere if what you want is a nice bottle of edt or edp.

There are several fragrances that include the cherry blossom note in the BN directory, including Nina Ricci's Love by Nina, Pure White Linen Pink Coral by Estee Lauder, Chopard's Wish Turquiose Diamond and Young, Sexy, Lovely by YSL. And Guerlain has Aqua Allegoria Cherry Blossom plus another fragrance simply named Cherry Blossom.

I must admit I haven't tried any of them, but I do know that cherry blossom is a rather delicate note so I think you'd be better off choosing one that doesn't have too many other notes (it's one of only four notes listed in Love by Nina, but Pure White Linen Pink Coral has 13 other notes for the cherry blossom to compete with...which is not to say that you won't be able to detect it, of course.) Most of these would be available at your nearest dept. store fragrance counter.

If you are able to find L'Occitane products, they have a Cherry Blossom fragrance as well, 34.00 for 100ml. It's also available on their UK website.
    Sniff and let sniff.

To be 100% honest, the B&BW Cherry Blossom perfume smells very harsh and synthetic, so, at all costs, I would not purchase it for your friend. I sprayed some on at my friend's apartment, a few times, and it smelled so harsh - almost like room spray harsh. It is that bad.
    Last edited by ApacheRosePeacock; 6th November 2009 at 09:07 PM.

I've tried Guerlain's variations, and the recent Aqua Allegoria version is horrendous...avoid at all costs.

The previous versions, which can be tricky to come by, are all decent, but nothing spectacular. Pretty bottles and girly, pink scents, if that appeals at all. They did come in a parfum/extrait formulation occasionally that was richer and preferable.

L'Occitane cherry blossom is great!

Basenotes Plus

Your friend is lucky!
    Just a suggestion but Cabotine Rose by Gres is very reasonably priced (in the US at least) and has notes of cherry blossom in it- and bears no resemblance to shampoo or room spray. it's not a soloflore, nor a rose scent- has a little pepper in the drydown.

Many thanks all!

I did look up the notes/names in the directory and have been reading about L'Octaine, some good reviews both here and other places!
    It is predominantly the cherry blossom note I am looking for, however I dont want to sacrifice quality.
    If B&BW version is harsh, and L'Occtaine is kinder on the nostrils (I have no tried either) then L'Occtaine it is! Prices seem very reasonable too

I don't want this to be an uber expensive gift, but she was talking fondly of the smell and of her youth, and she wasnt sure if she was smelling the cherries themselves or the wood of the tree and its leaves, but overall it took her right back to carefree days. I just wanted to find a frag that would capture all that for her again!
    Last edited by goldiloks; 7th November 2009 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Your friend is lucky!
    Just a suggestion but Cabotine Rose by Gres is very reasonably priced (in the US at least) and has notes of cherry blossom in it- and bears no resemblance to shampoo or room spray. it's not a soloflore, nor a rose scent- has a little pepper in the drydown.
    I second Cabotine Rose. You sometimes find the 1.7 oz EDT with a nice tube of skin lotion at discount sites. A wonderful cherry scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

B&BW had 3 cherry blossom scents, Japanese Cherry Blossom got better reviews and was an Allure Magazine's "Editor's Choice"...

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...m%283356167%29

B&BW White Cherry Blossom also got better reviews than Cherry Blossom, it's a lighter scent and was discontinued, but you might be able to find it on Ebay.

I have L'Occitane's Cherry Blossom, it's a simple scent with a woody base note. My husband doesn't really like it. I think I might like Carolina by Carolina Herrera better, not cherry blossoms, but an elegant scent with strawberry notes and can be found inexpensively at discounters online. Hmmm... maybe I'll get that one myself, I keep talking about it.

Never tried Cabotine Rose by Gres but it sounds pretty, too. What a sweet friend you are!

Great! Thanks loads, I have two promising (affordable) candidates now