Code of Conduct

Default A metaphorical interpretation of reformulated powerhouses.

Yes, I know we all regret it. Basically, if we could get the originals we would be happier people, but the fact is that, whatever the reason, manfacturers change the formulas of scents, in minimal occasions for the better, most of the times for worst.

So I ended up thinking that they have grown up: a bunch of noisy, boisterous bunch of guys partying suddenly coming to terms with their adulthood and its responsibilities. Some times they became quite boring people - take Azzaro - , sometimes they became matured, established and formal - for example, Gentleman -, sometimes they really grew old - Antaeus (the drydown reminds me of old time scents, I like it, but I can't help remembering my Grandfather).

Luckily, some of them are still the same kind of people we met years ago - see? That is Kouros.

Default Re: A metaphorical interpretation of reformulated powerhouses.

LOL Pollux, the problem is they start to reformulate the reformulated fragrance. Where does that leave us

In a laberynth... so to speak. Or better still, confused.

In the same way that the body decays with age, so will the spirit and formulation of fragrances. More legislation and more cost cutting will inevitably lead to diminishing returns. After so many reformulations, the product has virtually no connection with the original concept. One can only imagine what Chanel No.5 or Antaeus will smell like in 2109

"One can only imagine what Chanel No.5 or Antaeus will smell like in 2109"

Wit all due respect, he worst case scenario of this just makes me shiver (but probably I will not be alive by then anyway).
    On a more serious tone, which reasons would fragrance houses have to reformulate that heavily and especially their best creations- it cannot be the cost factor, since the prices increasing anyway should justify, if not an increase, than at least a constancy in the quality, of raw materials and/or manufacturing process, it cannot be the appeal to "a wider market" either, since classics BEFORE not liked and lead mostly to NO increased sales. Therefore, what is the real reason behind all this?
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 8th November 2009 at 07:24 PM.

There is one reason in terms of Marketing actions, that is, lowering the quality of established products makes them obsolete, thus forcing customers to buy newer releases which can be more profitable due to novelty issues (add the celebrities and the huge ad campaigns, you get the idea).

There is another reason based on managerial psychology, that is, continous action-oriented decision making in order to justify managerial salaries and benefits; this would be one of the reasons for the continous increase of brands and products in the market.

Hypotheticaly, this would leave niche perfumery on a better situation since owners would have other motivations behind profit-making - unless they become way too succesful and fall in the hands of giant corporations.

Frankly? I would like to be a perfumist and owner of such kind of company.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Interesting metaphor indeed. I guess some of them went under the knife, a handful had gone for a sex change procedure, and more than a few had died from (un)natural causes... But by and large the majority are now carrying spare tires, sport eyebags and thinning hair. Only a select few aged gracefully.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 10th November 2009 at 04:39 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    So I ended up thinking that they have grown up: a bunch of noisy, boisterous bunch of guys partying suddenly coming to terms with their adulthood and its responsibilities. Some times they became quite boring people - take Azzaro - , sometimes they became matured, established and formal - for example, Gentleman -, sometimes they really grew old - Antaeus (the drydown reminds me of old time scents, I like it, but I can't help remembering my Grandfather).....
    In the metaphor may lie the answer. We (by "we" i mean the market in general, not us hardened BaseNoters) may be the ones changing. In trying to keep the "oldies" current and attractive, the focus-group/committee-led houses could be tempted to tweak and fiddle, saving costs while they are at it. I just wish the frags could remain the noisy, boisterous guys they once were, even when we become grown up.

Thanks for sharing, Pollux.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Trussardi Uomo would be the guy with the heavy gold chains and the tight silk shirt open to the fourth button. Now he's behind the deli counter, an apron covering the chest fur he treated all of us to (frequent) glimpses of.

Brut was the Guy who was the Night Club Lounge singer, but now he's the Guy who sings Karoake on friday nights, and the funny thing is I actually love Brut

I just won a bottle of Paco Rabanne vintage formulation on Ebay ,,
    should be a lot better than the current juice !!

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

There is one reason in terms of Marketing actions, that is, lowering the quality of established products makes them obsolete, thus forcing customers to buy newer releases which can be more profitable due to novelty issues (add the celebrities and the huge ad campaigns, you get the idea).

Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to just flat-out discontinue the fragrance than do this?

Luckily, some of them are still the same kind of people we met years ago - see? That is Kouros.
    Kouros isn't alone, thankfully. Yatagan, Giorgio For Men and Bijan Men are still hell-raising, tequila-shot drinking, pillaging brutes.
    Last edited by shamu1; 10th November 2009 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Kouros isn't alone, thankfully. Yatagan, Giorgio For Men and Bijan Men are still hell-raising, tequila-shot drinking, pillaging brutes.
    Grey Flannel is still living in the suburbs with his boyfriend, curses his graying hair, and is completely confused by what's passing for "manly" these days.

Knize Ten just slaps him on the back, and chuckles about how it's always been that way.

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui got so rip-roaring shit-faced during the 80s, he's still hung over, liver completely cooked, can't get out of bed because he's got the shakes so bad, and still doesn't know where the hell he is or who he is.

meth-taking M7 used to be a wild child but he's since sobered up. All that's left is his alcohol addiction

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    meth-taking M7 used to be a wild child but he's since sobered up. All that's left is his alcohol addiction
    Either vintage or new formulation, M7 doesn't really fit into the powerhouse category. Contemporary powerhouse maybe but still debatable.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

If we were going to name movies to typify this subject, I nominate the Wrestler. In fact, I nominate Mickey Rourke as poster boy for this subject. Seriously do love the movie, though. Saw it at 11:00 a.m. on Christmas morning 2008 - that's how eager I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I just won a bottle of Paco Rabanne vintage formulation on Ebay ,,
    should be a lot better than the current juice !!
    Don't ask me why, I feel it "deeper" than the actual version. I've been trying to find what "deeper" means in this context, and I can not find an alternative word. It is like the vintage scent has some sort of dimensionality absent in the current blend.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to just flat-out discontinue the fragrance than do this?
    You risk loosing customers to other companies: this way you direct them to other options. Imagine this situation taking place at any store where Coty's Sales Force (CK's owner), have been doing homework the way they are suposed to do:

Customer: "I have been using Obsession for the last X years but it is not the way it was, I don't know, it doesn't last the way it used to..."
    SA: "O, I see.. may I suggest Obsession Night? Do you know it? Would you like to try it?"

You get the picture. I know, CK's O and CK's ON don't compare, but remember that these people bet on the lack of discretionality by part of customers. Things are changing thanks to the Net, though.

Enrique Iglesias: New Face of Azzaro pour Homme.

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Enri...ance-1129.html

Can someone please do Azzaro a favor and tell him this does not fit him?