Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default Polo Red, White and Blue

I saw this in Macys today. Apparently the notes are:

Top: watery red apple, cucumber, Sicilian mandarin, lush accord
    Middle: caneel accord, bay accord, curry sage, frosted lavender tonic
    Base: stone washed suede, white woods, amber wood, sheer musk
    Last edited by petruccijc; 6th November 2009 at 10:23 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent

Default Re: Polo Red, White and Blue

A fruity aquatic from RL. What took them so long??
    Last edited by MFJ; 6th November 2009 at 09:58 PM.

Oh, I thought it was the same juice as blue, but in a different bottle.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    Oh, I thought it was the same juice as blue, but in a different bottle.
    The SA told me it was a new fragrance and showed me the list of notes. But the notes have some similarities to Blue. I don't know myself - maybe it is a variation on Blue???

Whatever it is - I didn't like it.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 6th November 2009 at 10:31 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    The SA told me it was a new fragrance and showed me the list of notes. But the notes have some similarities to Blue. I don't know myself - maybe it is a variation on Blue???

Whatever it is - I didn't like it.
    If you look it up on the Ralph Lauren website, it is listed as Polo Blue. The SA's should know, shouldn't they? I guess it's all moot, if it smells like crap.

Sur la Plage

If you look it up on the Ralph Lauren website, it is listed as Polo Blue. The SA's should know, shouldn't they? I guess it's all moot, if it smells like crap.
    I specifically asked if it was a new fragrance or just the same in a different bottle. She may have just been telling me a pile of sh*t.

Well I never liked Blue - so if it was that in a different bottle I guess that explains it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

As with any RL release post-Safari, try before you buy and wait for the drydown. RL likes to top load the good stuff, falling apart within an hour.

Polo Blue's notes on polo.com are different from the ones posted here:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Yuck, cucumber? Aren't they about 15 years too late?

They're different. I did a side-by-side at Macy's. I sprayed RWB first, and I thought it was identical to PB. Then the lady sprayed the original on a card, and it was in fact a deeper, stronger smell.

RWB is like PB Lite. Just another fresh aquatic. Nothing special.

I bought a bottle of Blue back when I didn't know much about scents, and I just wanted a scent, ANY scent to add to my collection. I thought it smelled kinda fresh, something different, so I bought a bottle. That was about 2 years ago. To this day i've only used it about 10 times. The cucumber is just way too present throughout, really puts me off. Oh well, you live and you learn.

They're not bad scents, just too common smelling. When you're into scents enough to be on this board, Polo Blue just does not cut it! LOL!

It's a fine scent for the average Joe...we are not average!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    They're not bad scents, just too common smelling. When you're into scents enough to be on this board, Polo Blue just does not cut it! LOL!

It's a fine scent for the average Joe...we are not average!
    +1 there
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

I picked up a bottle of Red, White and Blue today at Macy's. I loved the opening of fresh cucumber and was quick to hand over the $50 bucks. The dry-down on the way home was a bit of a letdown unfortunately. To me, it became very similar to Kenneth Cole Black, which I like, but already own.

Prior to making the purchase, I had sampled Mugler cologne (on my right hand, RWB on my left) which I didn't like in the opening moments. Red White and Blue got worse in the dry-down, Mugler got better...and I regret the purchase!!! Shoulda gone with Mugler! Impatience!!

Poor Blue just doesn't get any respect. I don't wear it often myself, but find myself defending it time and time again. Fresh Aquatics and the label "Blue" weren't much of a sub-group when Polo Blue came along. Sure, there was Aqua di Gio, but by and large, the genre really exploded AFTER Polo Blue was released in 2002. That's when the Desire Blue, Givenchy Blue, etc. followed suit. I do believe Polo Blue was successful, but the fact that it smells "common" and "all too familiar" shouldn't be a negative reflection on its behalf. After all, imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Red White and Blue is a different scent.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Red White and Blue is a different scent.....Gary
    Since you are the resident Basenotes L'Oreal (Giorgio Armani Parfums/Ralph Lauren Fragrances/Viktor & Rolf Parfums/YSL Beaute) rep, I knew you could clear up the confusion for us in a jiffy. Thanks!

Anyway, is Polo Red, White, and Blue a limited edition, or a permanent addition to the Polo line?
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Since you are the resident Basenotes L'Oreal (Giorgio Armani Parfums/Ralph Lauren Fragrances/Viktor & Rolf Parfums/YSL Beaute) rep, I knew you could clear up the confusion for us in a jiffy. Thanks!

Anyway, is Polo Red, White, and Blue a limited edition, or a permanent addition to the Polo line?
    I was told by a Macys SA that it is a permanent addition. I don't know if it's true or not, but it comes in two different sizes...

It smells like a sibling to PB but much better.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Truly a great looking bottle:

I like the mention of it as a "cold mountain air feel" with some woods
    But can anyone describe the apple note?
    Is it similar to the artificial "candy" apple notes we know?
    Or is it more subtle and natural like the apple note featured in Pal Zileri classic?

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    Poor Blue just doesn't get any respect ... I do believe Polo Blue was successful, but the fact that it smells "common" and "all too familiar" shouldn't be a negative reflection on its behalf.
    I completely agree. I actually like Polo Blue quite a bit, but then I've never been a member of the Aquatic Haters Club anyway. And the commonality of a fragrance has nothing to do with its quality. I'll have to give this new one a try and see how it compares with "its daddy".
    Last edited by Astaroth; 19th November 2009 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Truly a great looking bottle:
    I like the mention of it as a "cold mountain air feel" with some woods
    But can anyone describe the apple note?
    Is it similar to the artificial "candy" apple notes we know?
    Or is it more subtle and natural like the apple note featured in Pal Zileri classic?
    The first note I noticed, when I tested this, was a red apple one. It smelled pretty subtle and natural to my nose.
    Agree with Scentologist. It smells better than PB.
    Last edited by breeze11; 19th November 2009 at 05:56 AM.

^Great.
    Off to test today.
    For the record, Polo Blue is my least favorite Ralph Lauren masculine.

I bought this today. I really like it a lot! It is different than PB. This is a deeper, smoother smell. Its kinda like windex with a deep blue smell that has a smooth musky finish. I think this is what PB should have been.

Does the cucumber dominate like in PB? I really, really don't like cucumber in scents.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Does the cucumber dominate like in PB? I really, really don't like cucumber in scents.
    I found the cucumber to be amped up in Red, White and Blue compared to Blue. It's extemely apparent in the opening but I found it fades in the dry-down -- after about 15 minutes on me.

Looks like RW&B is a flanker of Polo Blue. Much like Polo DB is a flanker for Polo Black...

I've only had one wearing of it so far and to my nose, I don't get cucumber. I will try to pay attention to it when I spray some on here is a few minutes. To me, overall, PRWB is more smooth and less irritating to me. There was something in PB that was sharp. For me, PRWB is all goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Looks like RW&B is a flanker of Polo Blue. Much like Polo DB is a flanker for Polo Black...
    Yeah I will agree, its a softer Polo Blue with a few added touches. We at Macy's expect it to sell tremendously and are buying hundreds of bottles. At the counter however, Polo Blue is still edging RWB in sales, especially since they have it in the 6.7oz bottle now.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY911 View Post
    I found the cucumber to be amped up in Red, White and Blue compared to Blue. It's extemely apparent in the opening but I found it fades in the dry-down -- after about 15 minutes on me.
    I would hope so as I didn't get as much cucumber in Blue as others did, and I'm not averse to cucumber at all. Can anyone speak at greater depth about the drydown? Similarities in any stage?

I can imagine all of those notes except for one: What in the world is curry sage? Is it supposed to be clary sage?

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post

I'm sorry for the late reply to this question.....I have heard that this is a permanent fragrance.....I hope that this is the case.....I do like Polo Blue and I feel that this is a very nice addition to the line.....Gary

I think this is most definitely an improvement on Polo Blue.
    But i don't really smell a distinct and/or believable apple note here, certainly nothing like the very natural apple note in the aforementioned Pal Zileri.

The base is definitely Smoother, and the single note which always seemed to irritate me in Polo Blue is either thankfully missing or hidden. But it's not striking enough to warrant a purchase for me, shame as that bottle is truly a classic design.

Thumbs up Re: Polo Red, White and Blue

I think this is most definitely an improvement on Polo Blue.
    But i don't really smell a distinct and/or believable apple note here, certainly nothing like the very natural apple note in the aforementioned Pal Zileri.

The base is definitely Smoother, and the single note which always seemed to irritate me in Polo Blue is either thankfully missing or hidden. But it's not striking enough to warrant a purchase for me, shame as that bottle is truly a classic design.
    although the changes between pb and rwb are subtle, their is a difference, I think the frosted lavender tonic really sets this apart from Blue imo. after about 2 hours, it really comes to the forefront. its like a cool breeze following you all day. you could wear this in summer as well as winter imo. not to sound condescending, but I believe only true fragrance aficionados will be able to appreciate this offering., great stuff.

^It's not top shelf but certainly better than every Polo fragrance since explorer/double black. However, since my post, I have discovered a scent featuring apple which trumped the Zileri and all below it featuring apple......Cereus #4.

^It's not top shelf but certainly better than every Polo fragrance since explorer/double black. However, since my post, I have discovered a scent featuring apple which trumped the Zileri and all below it featuring apple......Cereus #4.
    I've seen you praise Cereus #4 a few times as a great apple scent. I've simply got to try this, come next summer. Er.. perhaps the scent has enough substance to be satisfying in winter?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

To those who own this fragrance...

Could you please input on its sillage and longevity?

Thanks

Smelled it a few days ago and didn't care for it at all.

Got a 75ml bottle of this as a gift today from a friend (it was my bday 2 days ago), will provide my thoughts after some full wearings.
    Although I'm not ecstatic about it, I do need a filler for my lost bottle of Polo Blue (which I happened to like), and with cucumber and apple as some of the featured notes, I think it's more a crowd pleaser, which is a welcome addition to my wardrobe at this time. Expecting warmer weather coming into March, so fingers crossed it might be a good kick-off to summer-use frags.