Code of Conduct

Default Can you dilute a potent fragrance?

I would have posted this on the Fragrance DIY but its too slow there, so i posted it here.
    M7 is great but I feel it is too strong during the day and I don't like to spend another 30 bucks for M7 fresh which basically is a "lighter" m7. I heard you can dilute it with everclear(190 proof) alcohol, I have a low proof vodka (90 proof) lying around here. Does anyone have any experience in diluting a fragrance? I would be using a 10 ml atomizer for this experiment. Thanks!
    Top 5 in rotation: Dior Homme, Pure Malt, Egoiste, Gucci Envy, Platinum Egoiste

Happiness is perfume, you can't pour it on somebody else without getting a few drops on yourself.
    -James Van Der Zee

Looking for large CAPS for M7, boss bottled #6, Bvlgari PH and YSL La Nuit

Default Re: Can you dilute a potent fragrance?

I think Bigsly dilutes his frags or knows how to do it. I don't...I just spray less.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Spraying less is my only advice, also.

M7 Fresh is not a "lighter M7"... spray less, and save your vodka for a better use

Yes, just use cheap vodka. However, you can also use vanilla extract (alcohol based) if you want to sweeten it up, for example. Just make sure you read the label and it's just vanilla and alcohol, because it can also have corn syrup, which does have a little bit of a "corny" quality. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Yes, just use cheap vodka. However, you can also use vanilla extract (alcohol based) if you want to sweeten it up, for example. Just make sure you read the label and it's just vanilla and alcohol, because it can also have corn syrup, which does have a little bit of a "corny" quality. LOL.
    wow...vanilla extract?? very interesting....
    Any other diluting agent I can use besides vodka and vanilla extract?

thanks for the suggestions.
    Top 5 in rotation: Dior Homme, Pure Malt, Egoiste, Gucci Envy, Platinum Egoiste

Happiness is perfume, you can't pour it on somebody else without getting a few drops on yourself.
    -James Van Der Zee

Looking for large CAPS for M7, boss bottled #6, Bvlgari PH and YSL La Nuit

There are plenty of these extracts. You might like hazelnut, for example. It's really about how much time and effort (and money) you want to put towards this kind of "experimenting."

Just use everclear. Regular vodka should work in small quantities but the excessive water content could/would start to cause problems by time you diluted it enough for the dilution to really make a difference.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I dilute V&R's Flowerbomb in a 1:1 Flowerbomb-to-95% alcohol. It makes it more wearable.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

If you dilute a fragrance it becomes something else, like adding water to wine, stop this madness!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    If you dilute a fragrance it becomes something else, like adding water to wine, stop this madness!
    That's the whole point of diluting it. In Italy or Spain families dilute wine with water for children at dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Just use everclear. Regular vodka should work in small quantities but the excessive water content could/would start to cause problems by time you diluted it enough for the dilution to really make a difference.
    What kind of problems except for excessive wetness that won't evaporate as easily as alcohol?
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 7th November 2009 at 11:47 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    There are plenty of these extracts. You might like hazelnut, for example. It's really about how much time and effort (and money) you want to put towards this kind of "experimenting."

heading offtopic now , as these extracts don't only dilute , " they alter"
    " if your frag is to strong " just use perfumers alcohol ....... simple

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    That's the whole point of diluting it. In Italy or Spain families dilute wine with water for children at dinner.

What kind of problems except for excessive wetness that won't evaporate as easily as alcohol?
    Some of the aromachemicals/oils used will begin to separate from the mix if the alcohol content isn't high enough as many of them aren't soluble in water.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Some of the aromachemicals/oils used will begin to separate from the mix if the alcohol content isn't high enough as many of them aren't soluble in water.
    I think we might be onto a new business model here: a line of two-phases fragrance emulsion. Shake before spritzing.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

If you have the time and money, wait until the fragrance is reformulated to meet the new IFRA recommendations.

I would suggest the vodka also just for small amounts. If you like it, then get Everclear if you are going to dilute any considerable amount of the liquid.

Dilute with perfumer's alcohol (or replace with highest proof alcohol you can get) or fragrance-grade dipropylene glycol (DPG). I'd personally avoid "remixing" frags with extra oils and aromachemicals though. It would be like buying an expensive painting and then start doodling or painting over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    If you have the time and money, wait until the fragrance is reformulated to meet the new IFRA recommendations.
    Hah!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/