Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default new scents by D.S. & Durga

On the Fragrance Industry thread, I posted a note that the women's store Anthologie has started to carry four scents by D.S. & Durga. These are exclusive to that chain of stores. The scents come in small 6 oz. vintage bottles, different in shape from the usual DS&D bottles. They retail for $48 USD, 52 CAD and are EDP strength.

Since the DS&D line isn't in the directory, I thought I'd post my notes on these scents. I bought Royal Purpure, so I have the most to say about it.

Royal Purpure is described as "an herbal tincture of dwarf pine and fig leaves, cooled by cypress and cedar." This is an accurate description. The opening is quite herbal, and there are (sadly) only brief pine notes. It is a dry, green scent, and slightly resinous. The fig leaves come to dominate -- and their treatment gives an airy-cool note, reminiscent of violet leaves. In the dry-down, the cedar gives a nice woody tone.

East Mid East is described as "exotic silk road scents of saffron, cardamom, roses and mandarin." Rose lovers should take note, this is an excellent, sensual and restrained rose note, very suitable for a man.

Smoked Amber is described as "a luscious and smoky blend of scents culled from Turkish fire pits, including frankincense, birch and cassia bark." Folks, this is one amazing scent. It starts off so SMOKY! The incense notes are excellent. My caveat here is a strong clove-like note. Apart from that, this is a great scent.

1538 Rheims is described as "an enchanting blend of musk, patchouli, iris and ginger lily." This one spoke least to me. It is a good scent, but patchouli and iris don't do anything for me. The iris is strong here.

These are definitely worth checking out, and any could easily be worn by a man. The Anthologie store is a lovely sort of shop, all sorts of interesting things are there.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 7th November 2009 at 02:09 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: new scents by D.S. & Durga

Smoked Amber sounds great.

I think you mean at Anthropologie stores, right Ody?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Hah! Correct, mike. Anthropologie stores, indeed
    & yes, I bet you and a lot of others would love Smoked Amber.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems as if you can buy them thru the Anthropologie website also, but the listing for them is a bit confusing. The pic shows East Mideast, but then in the description it shows all 4 scents. How the heck are you supposed to choose which scent you want?

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/....jsp?id=993321

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, that is subtle. I think what you have to do on-line is click the different colour tab, on the right-hand side. That changes the product description. Seems a bit obtuse to me!
    odysseusm

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled these a few weeks back at an Anthropologie store... the Amber one was almost more of an allspice/cinnamon fragrance than anything else, which is great for this weather but overall it didn't really capture me. I also like the small bottles these come in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    I sampled these a few weeks back at an Anthropologie store... the Amber one was almost more of an allspice/cinnamon fragrance than anything else, which is great for this weather but overall it didn't really capture me. I also like the small bottles these come in.
    I agree about the spice notes in Amber. In fact, it is more spicy than amber-y. But the drydown for me had some good incense, and the opening blast was a real smoky wonder!
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I smelled Smoked Amber tonight for the 1st time.

Wow! As Ody mentioned above, it's much more about spice than amber, which is fine with me. But what surprised me most was the animalic aspect of the base notes: a touch of barnyard oud floats in amongst all of the spices. I sniffed my arm through my entire evening at the mall and through dinner and a movie. I think I'll be buying a bottle of this, as a birthday gift for myself - for sure.

Thanks for the tip Ody.

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I got a bottle of the Smoked Amber for my birthday, last week. Wonderful animalic cinnamon. Full review to come.

I sniffed the Royal Purpure and it smelled sharp and biting. Next time I'm in the store, I'll skin test it.

-- Jack Kerouac