Code of Conduct

Default What do the Bond Warhol fragrances actually have to do with Andy Warhol?

Great gimmick as far as celebrity tie-ins go and yes it's an obvious graphic/packaging pairing. But beyond that how does the juice relate to the man and his legacy? Warhol admitted to wearing Chanel #5 and yet, not one of the Bonds references it. I have the latest one on, Success is a Job in New York, and all I can think about when I smell it is cookie dough.
    Anyone out there get the connection between Warhol and the Bond offerings?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th November 2009 at 11:43 PM.

Default Re: What do the Bond Warhol fragrances actually have to do with Andy Warhol?

I'm not sure Ruggles, but I think theres a NYC, Bond and Warhol connection. At least in the marketing

Default Re: What do the Bond Warhol fragrances actually have to do with Andy Warhol?

I think this is a very astute question.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 8th November 2009 at 01:49 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I think a percentage of sales go to a Warhol foundation or something like that...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

It's a marketing ploy, done under cover of a licensing agreement with the Warhol Foundation. The original intent was to create a collection of scents to represent "Warhol's vision of New York" - and to promote the Warhol name to another audience.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 8th November 2009 at 02:14 AM.

Does any Bond fragrance have anything to do with the pretentious crap it's supposed to be reminding us of?

I really loathe this brand. Even if the vapid idiots that are responsible for this brand were honest enough to admit to each other that the fragrances sucked, they'd still perpetuate their suckitude in that there's enough people out there buying this crap for them to turn a profit and continue releasing dozens of fragrances every year.

Bond so very obviously capitalizes upon the areas, districts, streets, people, places, etc and their associations, rather than the quality and character of their fragrances.

And don't even get me started on business ethics... I wouldn't buy a fragrance from them even if I did like it. The rotten people that run this company obviously have money as their first priority.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I heard that Andy Wharhol was buried with a bottle of Estee Lauder Beautiful so we may never know what he would have thought
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    I think a percentage of sales go to a Warhol foundation or something like that...
    Yes, I've heard that.

Are the bottle "motifs" property of the Warhol foundation? Maybe what Bond gets in return is the permission to use the Warhol designs to decorate the bottles?
    Evenstar

I see it all as pop culture reference. Native Pittsburgian Andy Warhol found his fame in NYC and became a huge art icon and the father of pop art. It looks like they're riding on Warhol's coat tails to market with his name. I'm sure someone in the Warhol camp is making money off of it. Warhol is RIP.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Blog Entries

Smile Re: What do the Bond Warhol fragrances actually have to do with Andy Warhol?

Ruggles: Have you tried the real Andy Warhol fragrance actually by him? It is a pretty nice citrus fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Great gimmick as far as celebrity tie-ins go and yes it's an obvious graphic/packaging pairing. But beyond that how does the juice relate to the man and his legacy? Warhol admitted to wearing Chanel #5 and yet, not one of the Bonds references it. I have the latest one on, Success is a Job in New York, and all I can think about when I smell it is cookie dough.
    Anyone out there get the connection between Warhol and the Bond offerings?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    And don't even get me started on business ethics... I wouldn't buy a fragrance from them even if I did like it. The rotten people that run this company obviously have money as their first priority.
    Hey, don't sugarcoat it...what do you really think?

Just curious...why do you think the company is rotten and a bunch o' money-grubbers?
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

For me, the only one that makes a direct reference to Warhol's life is Silver Factory. Warhol had his studio/factory covered in aluminum foil and SF features a prominent metal note. Warhol had one of the most amazing cookie jar collections, it was the highlight of his Sotheby's estate auction. Perhaps the new one, with its cookie dough accord, is referencing that. But why then is it called Success is a Job in New York? Why not call it Andy Warhol's Cookie Jar? Just a thought.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 8th November 2009 at 02:30 PM.

I checked last night and found out that Bond No. 9 has a licensing agreement with the Andy Warhol foundation. The foundation holds licensing agreements with many fashion companies, including Dianne Von Fustenber, and even Levi's

http://www.warholfoundation.org/licensing/index.html
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 8th November 2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Evenstar