Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: What was the first fragrance you bought after joing basenotes?

Creed Original Vetiver

Ambre Sultan, blind, and I've never turned back since!

M7 great choice ...

212 on Ice despite the suggestions saying Gucci Pour Homme II. The black tea was just too much for me.. but then eventually I changed my mind and ended up liking it more than the 212 . They're both really good though don't get me wrong but the Gucci just seems to be more easy to use. Both elegant and casual

Don't remember the first but can tell you that my entire wardrobe has been purchased since I've been on Basenotes. The only exception is Guerlain Vetiver which was my signature for years.

Allure or Le male back in 2005

Floris Vetiver

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum

I think it was Escada Pour Homme. I saw it at a discount store after reading about it here, and I bought it. I was (and still am) pleased.

Sur la Plage

Dior Homme - still one of my best purchases to date.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th November 2009 at 12:03 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Tam Dao. Mmmmm! I remember reading every little scrap of information about TD here on basenotes. It's still one of my favorites.

Blog Entries

I remember clearly. I had never heard of Creed before finding Basenotes. What with all the discussion and drama, I promptly went out with the determination to sniff as many as possible and buy a bottle. Being a relative newbie, I went with the sweet and fruity Original Santal.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

LOL, I'm posting here because I got an email from the site and it had a list of popular topics, so I figured it's been a while, so I'll chime in. I've been mostly lurking for the past year since I'm not really much of a frag whore anymore. I had a great time learning what things are. Still, my nose can't really point out particular notes, but I know which scents don't suck and which ones are less common than others. I sorta learned how to judge a scent past "well, it smells good".

I joined Basenotes when I bought my first bottle of cologne in 9 years. It was Le Male, but I suppose you're looking for "after" I joined BN. Perfumania was having a buy one get one half off sale, so I ended up getting Bulgari Aqua and Lacoste Pour Homme. Lacoste was on a whim and it smelled good on paper, but I hated it on me, so I sold it. Bulgari Aqua (which I found out about on BN) was my favorite in my rotation by a long shot for a good several months until I bought Allure Blanche. Just a couple weeks ago, I gave what's left of my Aqua to a friend of mine who didn't have anything he could wear on a regular basis and he loved it. I went back to Perfumania for the BOGO 1/2 off sale and bought a bottle of Burberry Touch, but this site did open my eyes to Brit and London (which I liked better than Touch a few months after the fact).

I've pretty much moved on from a lot of things I used to like. Aqua was my last bottle from when I initially started (and it was the best purchase decision I made). Since I gave that bottle away, it's time to get another bottle! Here's to 2-3 more bottles! LOL.

About the time I had joined, Terre D'Hermes was being talked about all of the time and that was all that I needed to buy my first one based on everyone's recommendations and reviews. It is too bad that there was an element in it that gave me such a headache that I couldn't wear it though..

Eau Savage - Black

Creed Himalaya

In my lurking days I wound up buying A/Men from Saks. But after a few years and needing a proper seasonal rotation I joined and the first thing I bought was a 20 pack of samples from lucky scent.

My first actual bottle purchase came a few eeks later after sampling some min Gucci bottles. The frag was Envy.

I just joined a few days ago (after lurking for a while), and I haven't bought anything yet. I grew up with English Leather/drugstore brands, then had a fling with Fahrenheit, have a bottle of Allure, a small spray of Envy--so far nothing too expensive, but now I may be ready to 'graduate.' I found SL at the Marui Men's store in Tokyo. I got a blotter strip of Fille en Aiguilles (and Cedre, which I didn't like nearly as much). So I may be ready to go for the FeA. I am also attracted to Terre d'Hermes, but I haven't sampled it yet, just sniffed the bottle. It seems like my type of scent, while FeA would be a bit 'wild' for me. One or the other. I will do skin tests next.

Regards,
    T
    Last edited by tsuzumi; 12th November 2009 at 07:19 AM. Reason: accuracy

Thierry Mugler B, followed by Terre d'Hermes. I already was using Vetiver Guerlain. B is my evening scent and Terre is my day scent.

Hello everybody!

I joined here on Monday but I've been reading the reviews from basenotes for 4 years.I don't know what took me so much time to join?:This is a good question for my first post!
    My first fragrance after joining was Au Masculine by L.Lempicka. AWESOME .
    In all those years I also bought Carolina Herrera -Aqua, L.Biagiotti-Aqua di Roma ,St.Dupont-Noir,S.Rykiel-Homme Grey and some perfumes which are not reviewed yet .All are great fragrances to me.

Mitsouko by Guerlain.Not quite sure about it yet.I want to learn to appreciate why it is such a classic fragrance. Any helpful hints?

Mitsouko. I can't believe that I missed that one when I was young & "doing Guerlain". And, thanks to Basenotes, I discovered Habanita which I love even when it smells like cannabis!

Terre d'Hermes

Prior to joining BN I have never heard of Creed and Serge Lutens, so my first purchase were samples of Green Irish Tweed, Bois du Portugal and Chergui.

Herrera Chic ....the best discovery for me so far

Though I already posted my first female frags it just occured to me that I went out and bought a bottle of Antaeus, shortly after my no. 19 purchase. At the time, my lover (now husband) did not wear fragrances, and I was so taken by sampling this one in the store that I had to have it. I kept it hidden in a cabinet and surreptitiously sniffed it now and then! I kept thinking I'd surprise him for Christmas.
    Long story short, he ended up being a Caron's Third Man devotee and the Antaeus is still in my cabinet. I still visit it now and then
    Last edited by rtamara41; 19th November 2009 at 12:51 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Kenzo PH and Guerlain L'Instant

I finally went and bought the Fille. I sampled lots of stuff, with a slightly sharper awareness, thanks to BN! But FeA is really unique. I was planning to do a skin test and then go home and see how it develops. However, in the shop (Isetan Men) I felt that it was working well enough that I didn't have to worry, and I just bought it on the spot.

It is so untypical, so unique...it is almost the anti-frag. I guess I will have to write my first review...after thinking for a while, of course.
    Regards,
    JL

I was looking for a classy citrus. The fecal note some people mentioned in Dior Eau Sauvage sent me running elsewhere (I don't want to smell like poo to at least 10% of the population).

I settled on Boucheron which turned out to be an OLD man powder-soap BOMB. I quickly unloaded it on eBay for ten dollars less than what it cost me.

I got Chrome instead and it gets me lots of compliments.

Opium Pour Homme EDP , great stuff

Bvlgari Aqua! Love it for the summer months!

Azzaro Pour homme , disliked it though on me

Egoiste, Antaeus (Chanel), Guerlain Vetiver, and Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and Rochas Man. Purchased them the same week, just dont remember what came first

Dateline Nov '06: Serge Lutens Arabie, my first high end, niche purchase. Bought it blind, online, and a whole new world opened up before my nose.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th December 2009 at 06:59 PM.

Tam Dao, It was the beginning of the end for me, before that fragrance I could have never spent 100+ on a fragrance!
    Live a wonderfully perfumed life!

Besontes introduced me to niche fragrances, and those that ore not found in Argentina.
    Short after i joined Basenotes i travelled to France and there I bought, in this order:
    Guerlain´s Heritage
    CSP L´eau du Governaur
    CDG Avignon
    FM Musc Ravageur

cheers

Pablo

i stumbled upon basenotes searching for reviews on Lagerfelds...dunno why, but i was fascinated about Lagerfeld while i used to browse randomly on fragrancex.com Lagerfeld Classic and Photo were the first.. what followed was a bulk purchase from our BNEr and tht includede Costes, Cedre (SL), Magnetism, CK Be plus some more..dont remember...

Tea for two
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Well I've actually been showing some restraint in the last couple of months and haven't bought anything new, but since I've joined Basenotes I've put together a bit of a list that I'm going to start testing through after Christmas. Something that I've certainly picked up in the last couple of years is that you've got to try scents properly before you buy them! :P

Anyway, this is the list that I've put together based on the reviews of others on Basenotes. I'm not after anything specific, I've already got most things covered. I'll be happy to just find a scent that I fall in love with... that's not asking too much is it?

Christian Dior – Dior Homme
    Guerlain – Vetiver
    Burberry – Brit for Men
    Burberry – London for Men
    Bvlgari – Aqva
    Chanel – Allure Homme
    Issey Miyake – L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme
    Versace – Pour Homme
    Versace – Eau Fraich
    Giorgio Armani – Armani Code
    Terre d'Hermes
    Chanel – Egoiste/L'Egoiste
    Yves Saint Laurent – Body Kouros
    Yves Saint Laurent – M7
    Dolce & Gabbana – Pour Homme
    Gucci – Pour Homme
    Christian Dior – Fahrenheit
    Gucci – Envy for men
    Givenchy – Pi
    Yves Saint Laurent – l'homme
    Carolina Herrera – 212 men
    Yves Saint Laurent – Rive Gauche pour Homme

A*Men then Paul Smith Story based on reviews both blind and i just knew i will love them
    Last edited by yrk; 18th December 2009 at 09:08 PM.
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

First up was Terre D'Hermes, followed by GIT. I figured if they were high on the award list it was a good start. Since then I've learned a lot just lurking and reading, and of course buying more. If I could get paid for reading reviews I'd be retiring soon.......
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

I believe mine was MPG-Ambre Precieux! One of the best scents I have tried and sure to keep a bottle in the wardrobe.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

I just started wearing frags about a year or two ago. I started with a list that I had found on the internet somewhere. I wasn't enjoying any of them. I joined BN and asked for a good masculine scent and Rive Gauche was recommended. I think that was my first fragrance after joining BN. I still wear it today.

After reading for a short while I ran to Sephora for some testing and walked out with:

Burberry London
    Dirty English
    Platinum Egoiste
    Rochas Man

That was a little more than a year ago and I still have them all, but I definitely regret the Platinum Egoiste purchase. Funny, that was the one I fell in love with the moment I sprayed it. That is the last time I felt that way about it.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: What was the first fragrance you bought after joing basenotes?

The first fragrance I remember buying after joining Base Notes was Mitsouko and I never looked back. I have mitsouko in my blood.

Gucci Pour Homme

Bulgari Aqua

I've bought a lot of fragrances since I discovered this site. But I think the first one is Creed GIT. Since then I've bought Angel B Men, A Men, Terre d'Hermes, Gucci Pour Homme, L'instant de Guerlain and IQUIOS.

I'm also waiting for Creed Bois Du Portugal. I've ran out of cash. Curse you Basenotes community.

First post, yay for me.
    Last edited by balbaid; 19th December 2009 at 01:05 PM.

Blog Entries

First I bought Joy on eBay (the only way I could afford it) because my mother had worn it. Then I found TJMaxx & Marshall's and The Perfumed Court.

Actually, I bought components from The Perfumer's Apprentice first. But Joy was the first real 'fume.

Either Rive Gauche pour Homme or Jicky, both of which I still love.

Guerlain's Jicky started the whole post-BN Guerlain-rave for me

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Terre d'Hermes (still one of my favorites).
    Me too!
    ARRIVEDERCI !

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quorum, Quorum Silver, Halston Z-14 and Halston 1-12.

Basenotes have successfully makes me bought Aventus. thanks to hyperbole reviews
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

Hm, maybe Cuba stuff .

Edit: Hm, after actually joining? Dunno. Not sure either way, though I could prob check e-mail for back in May or w/e.
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 23rd January 2013 at 07:21 AM.

Lddm

Amouage Memoir Man, though I had been lurking for a time prior.
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

Blog Entries

Allure Homme by Chanel, if I'm not mistaken..

Dior Homme Intense, Gucci Pour Homme II, and Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens.