Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: What was the first fragrance you bought after joing basenotes?

Creed Original Vetiver
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Ambre Sultan, blind, and I've never turned back since!

M7 great choice ...

212 on Ice despite the suggestions saying Gucci Pour Homme II. The black tea was just too much for me.. but then eventually I changed my mind and ended up liking it more than the 212 . They're both really good though don't get me wrong but the Gucci just seems to be more easy to use. Both elegant and casual

Don't remember the first but can tell you that my entire wardrobe has been purchased since I've been on Basenotes. The only exception is Guerlain Vetiver which was my signature for years.

Allure or Le male back in 2005

Floris Vetiver

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum

I think it was Escada Pour Homme. I saw it at a discount store after reading about it here, and I bought it. I was (and still am) pleased.

Sur la Plage

Dior Homme - still one of my best purchases to date.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 10th November 2009 at 11:03 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Tam Dao. Mmmmm! I remember reading every little scrap of information about TD here on basenotes. It's still one of my favorites.

Blog Entries

I remember clearly. I had never heard of Creed before finding Basenotes. What with all the discussion and drama, I promptly went out with the determination to sniff as many as possible and buy a bottle. Being a relative newbie, I went with the sweet and fruity Original Santal.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

LOL, I'm posting here because I got an email from the site and it had a list of popular topics, so I figured it's been a while, so I'll chime in. I've been mostly lurking for the past year since I'm not really much of a frag whore anymore. I had a great time learning what things are. Still, my nose can't really point out particular notes, but I know which scents don't suck and which ones are less common than others. I sorta learned how to judge a scent past "well, it smells good".

I joined Basenotes when I bought my first bottle of cologne in 9 years. It was Le Male, but I suppose you're looking for "after" I joined BN. Perfumania was having a buy one get one half off sale, so I ended up getting Bulgari Aqua and Lacoste Pour Homme. Lacoste was on a whim and it smelled good on paper, but I hated it on me, so I sold it. Bulgari Aqua (which I found out about on BN) was my favorite in my rotation by a long shot for a good several months until I bought Allure Blanche. Just a couple weeks ago, I gave what's left of my Aqua to a friend of mine who didn't have anything he could wear on a regular basis and he loved it. I went back to Perfumania for the BOGO 1/2 off sale and bought a bottle of Burberry Touch, but this site did open my eyes to Brit and London (which I liked better than Touch a few months after the fact).

I've pretty much moved on from a lot of things I used to like. Aqua was my last bottle from when I initially started (and it was the best purchase decision I made). Since I gave that bottle away, it's time to get another bottle! Here's to 2-3 more bottles! LOL.

About the time I had joined, Terre D'Hermes was being talked about all of the time and that was all that I needed to buy my first one based on everyone's recommendations and reviews. It is too bad that there was an element in it that gave me such a headache that I couldn't wear it though..

Eau Savage - Black

Creed Himalaya

In my lurking days I wound up buying A/Men from Saks. But after a few years and needing a proper seasonal rotation I joined and the first thing I bought was a 20 pack of samples from lucky scent.

My first actual bottle purchase came a few eeks later after sampling some min Gucci bottles. The frag was Envy.

Blog Entries

I just joined a few days ago (after lurking for a while), and I haven't bought anything yet. I grew up with English Leather/drugstore brands, then had a fling with Fahrenheit, have a bottle of Allure, a small spray of Envy--so far nothing too expensive, but now I may be ready to 'graduate.' I found SL at the Marui Men's store in Tokyo. I got a blotter strip of Fille en Aiguilles (and Cedre, which I didn't like nearly as much). So I may be ready to go for the FeA. I am also attracted to Terre d'Hermes, but I haven't sampled it yet, just sniffed the bottle. It seems like my type of scent, while FeA would be a bit 'wild' for me. One or the other. I will do skin tests next.

Regards,
    T
    Last edited by tsuzumi; 12th November 2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: accuracy

Thierry Mugler B, followed by Terre d'Hermes. I already was using Vetiver Guerlain. B is my evening scent and Terre is my day scent.

Hello everybody!

I joined here on Monday but I've been reading the reviews from basenotes for 4 years.I don't know what took me so much time to join?:This is a good question for my first post!
    My first fragrance after joining was Au Masculine by L.Lempicka. AWESOME .
    In all those years I also bought Carolina Herrera -Aqua, L.Biagiotti-Aqua di Roma ,St.Dupont-Noir,S.Rykiel-Homme Grey and some perfumes which are not reviewed yet .All are great fragrances to me.

Mitsouko by Guerlain.Not quite sure about it yet.I want to learn to appreciate why it is such a classic fragrance. Any helpful hints?

Mitsouko. I can't believe that I missed that one when I was young & "doing Guerlain". And, thanks to Basenotes, I discovered Habanita which I love even when it smells like cannabis!

Terre d'Hermes

Prior to joining BN I have never heard of Creed and Serge Lutens, so my first purchase were samples of Green Irish Tweed, Bois du Portugal and Chergui.

Blog Entries

Herrera Chic ....the best discovery for me so far

Though I already posted my first female frags it just occured to me that I went out and bought a bottle of Antaeus, shortly after my no. 19 purchase. At the time, my lover (now husband) did not wear fragrances, and I was so taken by sampling this one in the store that I had to have it. I kept it hidden in a cabinet and surreptitiously sniffed it now and then! I kept thinking I'd surprise him for Christmas.
    Long story short, he ended up being a Caron's Third Man devotee and the Antaeus is still in my cabinet. I still visit it now and then
    Last edited by rtamara41; 18th November 2009 at 11:51 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Kenzo PH and Guerlain L'Instant

Blog Entries

I finally went and bought the Fille. I sampled lots of stuff, with a slightly sharper awareness, thanks to BN! But FeA is really unique. I was planning to do a skin test and then go home and see how it develops. However, in the shop (Isetan Men) I felt that it was working well enough that I didn't have to worry, and I just bought it on the spot.

It is so untypical, so unique...it is almost the anti-frag. I guess I will have to write my first review...after thinking for a while, of course.
    Regards,
    JL

I was looking for a classy citrus. The fecal note some people mentioned in Dior Eau Sauvage sent me running elsewhere (I don't want to smell like poo to at least 10% of the population).

I settled on Boucheron which turned out to be an OLD man powder-soap BOMB. I quickly unloaded it on eBay for ten dollars less than what it cost me.

I got Chrome instead and it gets me lots of compliments.

Opium Pour Homme EDP , great stuff