Code of Conduct

Default Something in the mold of L'Occitane Eau des Baux

I'm wearing L'Occitane's Eau des Baux today and really loving it. I'm looking for other frags that could be classified as sweetened incense, but preferably with less cedar. Unfortunately, I get the dreaded "hamster cage" accord weaving in and out of EdB, that I'd rather do without.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Something in the mold of L'Occitane Eau des Baux

I find there to be a bit too much sweet and vanilla in Eau des Baux, whereas the woods suit me fine.
    That being said, you might give Penhaligon's Opus 1870 a try. I like that one.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I find there to be a bit too much sweet and vanilla in Eau des Baux, whereas the woods suit me fine.
    That being said, you might give Penhaligon's Opus 1870 a try. I like that one.
    Thanks ody! See I'm the opposite, I really dig the sweet vanilla in the drydown, in fact if I could find a sweet vanilla + incense, I think I'd love it. As far as Opus, I like it, but I find that it has too much cedar as well.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Perhaps try Cadjmere (#18) by Parfumerie Generale - it is similar but not quite as heavy (and probably less long lasting too...) but I get overdose on EdB so Cadjmere suits me better.

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Perhaps try Cadjmere (#18) by Parfumerie Generale - it is similar but not quite as heavy (and probably less long lasting too...) but I get overdose on EdB so Cadjmere suits me better.
    Scachman, I own and enjoy Cadjmere! Though I think it's actually in a different category, I find Cadjmere (at least on my skin) falls into a semi-gourmand category, whereas EdB is a woody-incense.

Would Nemo by Cacharel work?
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Rush for Men by Gucci or Passage d'Enfer by L' Artisan Parfumeur
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Scachman, I own and enjoy Cadjmere! Though I think it's actually in a different category, I find Cadjmere (at least on my skin) falls into a semi-gourmand category, whereas EdB is a woody-incense.
    I get a gourmandy feel from EdB too... but it might just be my skin as well. I tested the two together not long ago, and particularly after an hour or so, the EdB was still loud, but the Cadjmere smelled similar (just not the cedar!) and more muted.

I haven't tested either Nemo or Rush, so those can go on my to-test list. Passage d'Enfer, I essentially haven't tested either, just in passing a LONG time ago. So I'm going to look into all three.

I too love the first half of this scent.
    But as soon as the incense gives full way to the vanilla, it loses me.
    I do like the vanilla in the composition, especially when it smells like dried cereal marshmallows, far in the background behind the incense and spice.

I have searched all the likely culprits for this scent's peer, with no luck.
    They are either too sweet in their own way, not enough incense and spice, or have too many notes which cannot be contemporary.
    Eager to see if anyone can post a true rival.

Sounds like you are looking for Mesmerize for Men by Avon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Sounds like you are looking for Mesmerize for Men by Avon.
    isn't that supposed to be Mustang by Dorall

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I sniffed Eau des Beaux blind recently, and I recall my first impression was "a wimpy version of Chergui". I've revisited that assertion since, but they do in my mind have a lot in common.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I really like this scent a lot. I think it's "manly" but has enough vanilla to make me feel warm and fuzzy at the same time. I do agree with Ody though, that once that Vanilla opens up a few hours in, it can start to get a bit overwhelming. But so far, I haven't really found anything else like it.

Check out the thread on incense...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I find similarities between Tauer's LDDM and Eau Des Baux.

kim

Vuarnet Duo Homme

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I sniffed Eau des Beaux blind recently, and I recall my first impression was "a wimpy version of Chergui". I've revisited that assertion since, but they do in my mind have a lot in common.
    It's funny you mention that, I love Chergui, but Eau des Baux reminds me of Fille en Aguilles without the pine.

I sampled this alongside Kilian's Back to Black, and I kinda flip flopped back and forth between which one I preferred. To me, they're similar. I think Black may be a mit smoother though.

P de Nicolia's Vanille Tonka may be worth a try. Nice incense in the mid to base. Lime opening is odd but very nice to me. The vanille is not too sweet. Very nice frag, and one of my favs.

TF tobacco Vanille is somewhat similar but no cedar. Also, you may want to go light on the application of EdB as it's got some strong legs.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I would def try LDDM, I don't get a hamster cage smell from it and yet at the same time its sweet incense with woods
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    TF tobacco Vanille is somewhat similar but no cedar. Also, you may want to go light on the application of EdB as it's got some strong legs.
    Lol. That it does. I'm taking all the recs down, and plan on sampling them when I get the extra cash. Thanks guys.

So yesterday I was sampling Shalimar... anyone else see the similarity? sort of a incense/smokyness that develops into a vanilla?

I was thinking of getting some Shalimar but already owning Baux it might be redundant, and I think Baux is more "masculine" but to my nose though, it's a little sharp and not exactly "composed", sort of just like a 3 piece band playing some new age indie. Shalimar is infinitely more refined and complex, more like a whole orchestra playing a classical.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 17th November 2009 at 02:25 PM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Have you tried Tommy Bahama for men?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto