Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Can we talk about Monsieur Carven?

I've never smelled this one.

It sounds like Mouchoir de Monsieur, but with jasmine instead of lavender. Is it?

Can it be worn in warm weather?

Is it aldehydic, in that atypical-80s-powerhouse way?

Is there a difference in smell, between the 2 different bottles I've seen (here and here)?

It's discontinued, right?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th November 2009 at 05:35 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

AromiErotici

Default Re: Can we talk about Monsieur Carven?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I've never smelled this one.

It sounds like Mouchoir de Monsieur, but with jasmine instead of lavender. Is it?

Can it be worn in warm weather?

Is it aldehydic, in that atypical-80s-powerhouse way?

Is there a difference in smell, between the 2 different bottles I've seen (here and here)?

It's discontinued, right?
    Mike, it is discontinued. I wouldn't feel right comparing it to MdM since I didn't care for MdM, but love Monsieur Carven. I could have gotten a bad sample from TPC since it did not match up with any of the reviews I read.

Monsieur Carven is a seamless composition and very well made. Green citric top that's smooth as silk. Civet and Castoreum already noticeable from the basenotes. It never gets loud or abrasive. Oriental base with leather and moss and no rough edges. One of my favorites and in my top 5 all day long.

I believe the mini and splash bottle images you linked are the same frag with no reformulation.

Aromi said it all: got a bottle of this last week and I can't stop asking myself about the reason why these kinds of scents are not manufactured any more - Balenciaga pH comes to mind too.

AromiErotici

Pollux............Balenciaga is a BOMB isn't it?!!! All the folks that are "on the fence" with Kouros would find Balenciaga PH to be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Mike, it is discontinued. I wouldn't feel right comparing it to MdM since I didn't care for MdM, but love Monsieur Carven. I could have gotten a bad sample from TPC since it did not match up with any of the reviews I read.

Monsieur Carven is a seamless composition and very well made. Green citric top that's smooth as silk. Civet and Castoreum already noticeable from the basenotes. It never gets loud or abrasive. Oriental base with leather and moss and no rough edges. One of my favorites and in my top 5 all day long.

I believe the mini and splash bottle images you linked are the same frag with no reformulation.

Spot on, every word of it.
    I got hold of a mini by chance and was constantly on the edge of buying until a friend of mine smelled it and immediately asked me to get him a bottle.
    I did and he smells so divine now that i dont know how much longer i can hold back.

Off topic - Kouros / Balenciaga related:

Aromi, I regard Balenciaga as an improved version of Kouros. Longevity is such (12 hours! In me? That is amazing) that the mid and base notes morph in a way it feels like different kinds of scents. It is among those I regard it with pity for I know that it has been discontinued and once it is over, it is over (sigh).