Code of Conduct

Default Side-by-side comparison: GIT vs. Cool Water vs. Chez Bond

The reason I decided to do this side-by-side comparison is because of the reviews for each of these claiming "it smells just like (...) - they stole this scent." I always thought they did smell surprisingly similar, so I decided to investigate. Here are my findings:

Top notes: The top notes of cool water stand out as smelling significantly more synthetic and "cheaper." It also is far less citrusy than the other two, with herbal notes and some sort of smell that reminds me of sex. The Chez Bond is noticeably "softer" than the other two, not as biting of a top note. The GIT has a top note that somehow seems richer - a deeper and more natural lemon.

Mid-notes: The Chez bond continues to seem a little more soft, slightly aquatic and sweet. There are still citrus elements in the Chez Bond, but they are not as pronounced.It has a very subtle violet note, almost unnoticeable. The GIT remains more citrusy, but has sort of a verbena element to it. Gradually, it gets somewhat floral while maintaining an interesting masculinity. The Cool Water has become sort of an herbaceous aquatic scent.

Base notes: The cool water has faded to a spicy musk. The Chez Bond has continued its soft gentleness...hints of soft sandalwood with some sweet notes to it. The GIT is more "green" smelling than the other two, with a complex, pleasant scent.

Overall, they were more different than I expected them to be. I have smelled each of these multiple times before, but never compared side by side. I always thought them to be very similar, but the differences certainly come out under inspection. It is clear that the Cool Water is not nearly close to the standards of Chez Bond and GIT, which I find to be equals. While I am not a fan of the verbena note of GIT (for some reason, verbena just smells like "food" to me), I also think that Chez Bond should be a little stronger or more pronounced.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Side-by-side comparison: GIT vs. Cool Water vs. Chez Bond

Unfortunately I've never smelled Chez Bond.

But it's good to see someone else putting to rest the myth that Cool Water and GIT are "exactly alike".

I cringe when I think back to the fact that when I first smelled GIT, I was one of the people perpetuating that myth. Now I look back and wonder what on earth I was thinking - I now own both and they smell totally unlike each other.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. There are obvious similarities but I can easily tell them apart. I suppose it will always be a bone of contention as to whether or not the difference in quality justifies the extra expense. Me ??. I'll stick with my GIT every time.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 9th November 2009 at 08:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never smelled Chez Bond, but I completely agree with your appraisal of GIT vs CW. I get a 'verbena' vibe from that wonderful sharp greenness of GIT too. I love CW and the similarities are obvious, but GIT is much more complex and interesting.

Own chez Bond and GIT. I think CB smells more beautiful if that makes sense. It smells more creamy. Longevity is the same 8-10h+ CB also smells a tat more modern.
    Last edited by addicted2scents; 9th November 2009 at 08:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think CB smells a bit more earthy and creamy, and CW smells less green and ambergrisy than GIT. I love all 3 scents. In fact I've been considering selling my entire wardrobe and just having a 4 oz of GIT, and a 3.4 oz of AMen
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

Post Thanks / Like

GIT makes happy, fresh, handsome and optimistic. Heavenly.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Post Thanks / Like

Especially the rotten egg part of GIT before the ambergris drydown. Perfection.
    To me it seems that CW is more geranium based thus muting the similarities with GIT.
    Last edited by steve_123; 9th November 2009 at 03:21 PM.

I've always thought GIT is far superior to Cool Water, almost to the point of being incomparable. Chez Bond is nice, but sort of bland.

You might also want to compare Montale's Fougeres Marines, which has a similar feel. FM has an incredibly opening and it would definitely be something I'd buy except for the fac tthat the longevity is almost non-existent.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

You should throw Paco Robanne's 1 Million into the competition. It is like a light version of Cool Water imo...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool - it's about time someone did this. I can't help but agree with you on all your observations. One day while I was bored I did this too and noticed that they are each quite different, but all share certain characteristics that make them so similar. I've even posted reviews claiming that Chez Bond smells exactly like GIT, but haven't got around to editing them since I changed my mind.

I find all three to be great fragrances, but Chez Bond was definitely very heavily inspired by GIT. Whether that's a crime or not, depends, of course, on subjective view points. I've even heard that Pierre Bourdon (the creator of Cool Water) had a heavy hand in the creation of GIT with Olivier Creed - thus the similarities between them.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 9th November 2009 at 04:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

How does the color of the liquid compare?

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that CW more than likely has been reformulated at least once. I remember a much different CW back when I first started wearing it...

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for this. i've been debating on pulling the trigger on chez bond, as i LOVE green irish tweed but get maybe four or five hours from it. i spray on each side of my neck, three under the shirt, and one on the top of my head but get minimal sillage and it's gone in such a short amount of time. i dearly love this scent, though, and couldn't stand to be without it but some longevity would be nice...

eric b

Post Thanks / Like

The heirachy of these types of scents, for me, goes:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    (so natural and floral and woodsy, fresh/light and warm/thick simultaneously, has a creaminess to the smoky, woody drydown that, when sprayed heavily on a rubber watchband, is unrivalled in the olfactory world imo)

2. Truefitt & Hill Freshman
    (a very good scent in between Cool Water and GIT, has the same synthetic Ambergris in Drakkar Noir, making it substantially richer than CW, but not as rich or as natural as GIT, this smells like a richer version of the 90's formulation of Cool Water, with more citrus notes, a thicker, heavier base, and just a little extra bit of that "artificial grape" scent, that is in all 4 of these type scents in varying doses)

3. Zino Davidoff Cool Water
    (fresh and familiar, this classic will always be a part of warddrobe. Yes it is light and synthetic, and the reformulation has far too much lavender and not enough aquatic notes or citrus notes, but the 90's version i have is really great)

4. Bond No.9 Chez Bond
    (great top notes and mid notes, very good synthetic violet leaf note shared with Kiton black, but this scent dries down into a really detestable overly sweet candied/powdery sugarfest that is not to my liking. If Bond replaced all that powdered sugar with some spicy and Smoky Sandalwood, this scent would slide right into #2 spot behind GIT)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    You should throw Paco Robanne's 1 Million into the competition. It is like a light version of Cool Water imo...
    Say word...

...I thaught 1 million was some overly sweet rose type scent?

Quote Originally Posted by e-dub View Post
    thanks for this. i've been debating on pulling the trigger on chez bond, as i LOVE green irish tweed but get maybe four or five hours from it. i spray on each side of my neck, three under the shirt, and one on the top of my head but get minimal sillage and it's gone in such a short amount of time. i dearly love this scent, though, and couldn't stand to be without it but some longevity would be nice...

eric b
    I think this might be a characteristic of your particular batch. The bottles of GIT I've owned have serious sillage and some of the best longevity of any fragrance I've ever tried. A couple of sprays under my shirt and I get whiffs of it emanating up all day long.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

We've heard much talk about Cool Water and GIT being alike for a long time now......it is true that they are nothing alike.....I'll take Chez Bond over Cool Water any day of the week.....Thanks for the review.....Gary

I think many people say that they are nearly the same because they have not developed their sense of smell, or have not for that particular kind of frag. This is why note pyramids are helpful to me, though many don't think much of them. I sampled Rochas Lui the other day for the first time, for example, and I knew it smelled very similar to something else. It took a few minutes before I realized it was like Dunhill Desire for men (red), and when I looked at the pyramids I realized what the differences were. And I also think, after sampling RL, that Cuba Orange was an attempt to create a very RL type of frag.

Post Thanks / Like

would you say chez bond is an upscale cool water, or closer to green irish tweed? i can see how one could say cool water is "similar" to green irish tweed, but there are oceans separating the two, in my estimation.

eric b

...I thaught 1 million was some overly sweet rose type scent?[/QUOTE]

Sweet? Uh uh. Think 1 million and then think Cool Water light. It's not as pungent, but it's definetely in the same family.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really think Cool Water and Chez Bond are that similiar, although they both share some similarities with GIT. There are a lot of frags that smell alike until you put them side by side. Then they smell a lot different. Testing them side by side is really the best way to tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by e-dub View Post
    would you say chez bond is an upscale cool water, or closer to green irish tweed? i can see how one could say cool water is "similar" to green irish tweed, but there are oceans separating the two, in my estimation.

eric b
    Closer to GIT than Cool Water. The late top notes/ early mid notes are very very close to GIT. But the powdery sweet "grape smarties candy" drydown kills it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Sweet? Uh uh. Think 1 million and then think Cool Water light. It's not as pungent, but it's definetely in the same family.
    Cool. High on my test list now
    Last edited by DULLAH; 12th November 2009 at 05:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    GIT makes happy, fresh, handsome and optimistic. Heavenly.
    Agreed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Closer to GIT than Cool Water. The late top notes/ early mid notes are very very close to GIT. But the powdery sweet "grape smarties candy" drydown kills it for me.
    thank you, sir!

eric b