Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Should a Man Have an Arsenal?

While perusing basenotes I noticed in the reviews a lot of guys seem to own multiple frags of different sorts, ranging from light aquatics to heavier musks, and there's quite a bit of diversity out there. I myself currently own 6 different frags, most of them low end: Jovan Musk, Coty Musk, Aqua Velva Musk, Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal (just for a stay-at-home aftershave) and Obsession and Truth by Calvin Klein.

This small collection is the result of having my work hours modified downward and so I've gone low-end in search of a way to still smell decent without breaking a buck. However, in normal circumstances I wear only one cologne - Chanel's Allure Homme - and that's it. So I guess you could say the cheapie rotation isn't really me. Honestly, maybe I'm a bit of a snob, but I really don't find any of these cheapies worthy of much else than an occasional spritz here and there, although Truth isn't too bad and I think it's suitable recession wear for me. But when I think cologne, I think Allure, and when I'm wearing that, it's all I wear. I don't personally feel the need to diversify into different "formal" or "night" colognes, or even "sexy" vs. "office" or anything like that. Allure is my serious, signature smell, and I keep it simple. I know it's pretty common, but that doesn't bother me.

Anyone else out there prefer to forego the "arsenal" approach and just stick with one frag? And if so, what would yours be? Can one really create the illusion that he smells uniquely good if he's constantly changing it up?

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by MOONB; 9th November 2009 at 03:17 PM.

Default Re: Should a Man Have an Arsenal?

I used to wear just one fragrance at a time, but that was before I found basenotes. On a different note, I could be happy with a lot of the inexpensive fragrances out there like Old Spice, Brut, Clubman, etc.

what is the purpose of having just one if your hobby are fragrances? They are reasonable affordable so I dont really understand "just one".
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

If you can't afford it you stick to one or one at a time.
    Life is too short to make it with on fragrance.
    Last edited by steve_123; 9th November 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    what is the purpose of having just one if your hobby are fragrances? They are reasonable affordable so I dont really understand "just one".
    I guess the idea is to generate a specific association, through smell, that women can make with you. In other words, they smell Allure, they immediately think of me. They smell me, and they get something familiar because it's always on me. They say the sense of smell is the strongest sense linked to memory. But if you're wearing 10 different frags in rotation, how can a woman make any real connection between you and how you smell? I would think it would be much easier with just one or two. But then again, I've been wrong before.

It's like One pair of jeans, or Only one T-Shirt or one pair of shoes for the rest of your life.

the question is, Why not have many, if and when you can?
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

got it :-) and Allure was the fragrance my ex GF loved, I wore that one for years. (among several others, yet Allure was driving her really wild)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I am fairly certain that the vast majority of the people that post here regularly do not limit themselves to one fragrance. As Basteri says, this is a hobby.

Some people have few fragrances; others have lots. We all take different approaches based on our tastes, interests and priorities.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    It's like One pair of jeans, or Only one T-Shirt or one pair of shoes for the rest of your life.

the question is, Why not have many, if and when you can?
    That's actually an interesting take. Makes me think maybe the question needs revising. Like, if the world was ending and you only had time to grab one cologne before dashing off to the mothership - where you'll probably be spending the rest of your life in relatively confined quarters in space - which one frag out of all of them would you grab??

We're talking split second decision here. Dawdling means you're left behind forever.

All depends on your level of interest in frags. I used to have the "finish before you buy" attitude towards frags before BN and I only had 2 bottles all year round. As my interest in frags grew so did the number n variety of frags I own. This is how I see it.

To each his own when it comes to this kind of things. But if u feel that a signature scent is what u are comfortable with keep to it. It's a good way to save money too. However, keep in mind that there is a huge world of frags out there.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by karlovonamesti View Post
    That's actually an interesting take. Makes me think maybe the question needs revising. Like, if the world was ending and you only had time to grab one cologne before dashing off to the mothership - where you'll probably be spending the rest of your life in relatively confined quarters in space - which one frag out of all of them would you grab??

We're talking split second decision here. Dawdling means you're left behind forever.
    It's actually useless to discuss that here since there's like 32 Million other threads with "If you could choose just one" all around.

but on the main topic, I guess there are other basenoters that would stick to 2-3 frags, Or the ones who's constantly looking for their Holy Grail, and then there's people like me, who just wants variety. I like different scents because it keeps me interested throughout the day, unlike having just one, I'd be utterly bored, and would sometimes rather opt to wear nothing than have to wear the same frag over and over and over and over and over and over and... well, you get the point.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

I agree that there is just one that I could limit myself to if I was forced, but I would prefer not to limit it to just a signature scent because I am too much of a snob I guess. I have issues with wearing aquatics in winter and orientals in the summer. Sometimes I really want to please my date and make that fragrance specific to her memory of the wonderful date we had rather then my generic smell that she's so used to.

I could never be a one fragrance person. I think I'll always have my arsenal.

where you'll probably be spending the rest of your life in relatively confined quarters in space - which one frag out of all of them would you grab??
    Close quarters, limited air circulation?

Febreeze

I find that wearing the same perfume everyday for a long time so boring and lifeless it is like being stuck in time for all eternity. There is just so many great perfumes out there I could spend my lifetime just trying and I will never get to try half of them. It is always a good idea to have a rotation of your favorite perfumes or your can stuck with just one perfume, Nothing wrong with that!
    Currently listening to: Counting Crows - Mr. Jones, The Last Waltz - Old Boy, The Prodigy - Firestarter, Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood, R.E.M - Losing My Religion, "He's On the Beach" - Kirsty MacColl, In-Grid - Tu Es Foutu

Given that this is a hobby, if I were just starting out again, I think I would buy only decants --- even 10ml decants. I would still own just one full bottle: Cartier Declaration. But, as it is, I now own about 15 full bottles and several decants. Right now, then, I own enough juice to last me 15+ years --- and there will inevitably be new fragrances in the next 15 years I will want to try and own. The cost of this "hobby" for bottle purchases is astronomical.

Besides, sometimes I feel ridiculous owning a drawer full of fragrances, far more than the four bottles my wife owns (all of which I bought for her). I mean, who the hell am I? Elizabeth Taylor?

So, to answer your question, I don't think a man should have an arsenal of full bottles. A diverse portfolio of decants --- now, that's a totally different story.
    Last edited by cloud atlas; 10th November 2009 at 11:28 AM.

As many others have already commented, this is a hobby for many of us. I would also ask you to consider why a collection of fragrances is often referred to as a "fragrance wardrobe." Sure, I have my favorites, but I also tend to tailor my choices based on the type of social occasion. I choose what I want to wear dependent on what I feel like wearing, however, I also choose a fragrance from my wardrobe that would be appropriate based on whether I am going to work, a casual outing, or a formal event (also based on the season of the year/temperature). Have fun expanding your collection!

It is perfectly appropriate to own and use just one single perfume that you love. You'll smell great all the time, which is what we all want.

But there would be no purpose being here on Basenotes, so there is really nothing to discuss.

LOL! I *like* the use of the word "arsenal" in regards to perfume. This brings to mind the Juliette Has A Gun metaphor of scent as seductive weapon! And those great purse bullets! (Lucky Scent carries them...and also Beauty Habit...) They look like 50 cal. rounds!

I *do* think many scents belong in the "arsenal" and that anyone interested in scent as a hobby cannot call himself/herself a true connoiseur/connoisseuse with only ONE "signature" scent. I think the expression "signature" scent was invented by marketing...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

In my case, it is truly a "mixed emotions" and "divergent opinions" thing. On one hand, I love one frag that much, namely Armani PH, that I could not only turn it to my signature scent, but I could... almost give up any other frags, but then again, APART from my all time favorite, there are quite a few masterpieces out there, which make me to tend more towards the "arsenal" or even "avid collector" approach. So I guess it is an equal 50%-50% (with rare imbalances) probability in my case.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jradosev View Post
    Given that this is a hobby, if I were just starting out again, I think I would buy only decants --- even 10ml decants. I would still own just one full bottle: Cartier Declaration. But, as it is, I now own about 15 full bottles and several decants. Right now, then, I own enough juice to last me 15+ years --- and there will inevitably be new fragrances in the next 15 years I will want to try and own. The cost of this "hobby" for bottle purchases is astronomical.

Besides, sometimes I feel ridiculous owning a drawer full of fragrances, far more than the four bottles my wife owns (all of which I bought for her). I mean, who the hell am I? Elizabeth Taylor?

So, to answer your question, I don't think a man should have an arsenal of full bottles. A diverse portfolio of decants --- now, that's a totally different story.
    I think the general answer to this question is, fragrance is a hobby, therefore diversity and variety are key aspects of this. Originally I placed this question in the men's fragrance thread, and I did that for a reason - someone moved it to the newbies section, hmmm odd considering this question was not coming from a newbie - the point was best brought out by the quoted answer above, where this gentlemen mentions sometimes feeling ridiculous owning more frags than his wife - surely he is NOT Elizabeth Taylor, but as far as men are concerned, surpassing a rotation of four or five frags might indeed seem a bit effeminate to those who stock up that much.

I also appreciated that jradosev mentioned decants - after all, isn't this a more practical answer to anyone who wants some variety without spending hundreds of dollars on bottles that would take years to use? One could justify having two dozen decants and three or four full bottles, with that one special frag acting as the "signature" everyday scent. But if one spritzes differently every day of the week, eventually there has to be a washout effect on those women around him - like, who is this guy, and when will he settle with something consistent? Or, jeez, I wish this guy would stop putting his tuesday, wednesday, and thursday smell between his monday and friday cologne, which I love so much but don't get enough of . . .

I mentioned it to Basteri earlier, and I'll mention it again - some view the "signature" scent concept as a marketing device, something those slightly cynical fragrance entrepreneurs concocted to garner brand loyalty to one frag. This may be the case, but I don't know. What I DO know is that our sense of smell is the sense most closely tied to memory, which means we make associations with either good, or bad things based on smell. Therefore it stands to reason that if we want the ladies to associate us with a nice smell, limiting the frags to just one or two makes a direct line to a girl's heart thru her nose that much easier. After all, she only has to associate you with one scent, rather than trying to decipher which of your twenty colognes, aftershaves, and eau de toilettes is really yours, or if they actually belong to that other guy in her gradschool program who's been flirting with her. Perhaps this is a philosophical approach that flies in the face of making fragrances a hobby, but it seems to me that frags are something we use socially, and therefore they can be understood as utilities, not just luxuries. As far as I can tell, they're not as useful in great numbers, and less is more certainly seems to apply.

A woman gets off an 8 hour flight, and doesn't quite know how she feels about meeting you yet - it's been months since you've been together. She sees you at the arrivals gate. Gives you a big hug, and breathes in your familiar smell, and all the good emotions, the feelings and comforts that she ever felt in the presence of that scent floods back to her, and suddenly she can't remember what she was so worried about, it's like she never left you . . .

really appreciate everyone's input on this question, looking forward to any others

That's a nice story and I appreciate what you're saying but I'm guessing most Basenoters wear fragrances for themselves and not so they can trigger some sort of olfactory recognition in others.

I think the general answer to this question is, fragrance is a hobby, therefore diversity and variety are key aspects of this. Originally I placed this question in the men's fragrance thread, and I did that for a reason - someone moved it to the newbies section, hmmm odd considering this question was not coming from a newbie - the point was best brought out by the quoted answer above, where this gentlemen mentions sometimes feeling ridiculous owning more frags than his wife - surely he is NOT Elizabeth Taylor, but as far as men are concerned, surpassing a rotation of four or five frags might indeed seem a bit effeminate to those who stock up that much.

I also appreciated that jradosev mentioned decants - after all, isn't this a more practical answer to anyone who wants some variety without spending hundreds of dollars on bottles that would take years to use? One could justify having two dozen decants and three or four full bottles, with that one special frag acting as the "signature" everyday scent. But if one spritzes differently every day of the week, eventually there has to be a washout effect on those women around him - like, who is this guy, and when will he settle with something consistent? Or, jeez, I wish this guy would stop putting his tuesday, wednesday, and thursday smell between his monday and friday cologne, which I love so much but don't get enough of . . .

I mentioned it to Basteri earlier, and I'll mention it again - some view the "signature" scent concept as a marketing device, something those slightly cynical fragrance entrepreneurs concocted to garner brand loyalty to one frag. This may be the case, but I don't know. What I DO know is that our sense of smell is the sense most closely tied to memory, which means we make associations with either good, or bad things based on smell. Therefore it stands to reason that if we want the ladies to associate us with a nice smell, limiting the frags to just one or two makes a direct line to a girl's heart thru her nose that much easier. After all, she only has to associate you with one scent, rather than trying to decipher which of your twenty colognes, aftershaves, and eau de toilettes is really yours, or if they actually belong to that other guy in her gradschool program who's been flirting with her. Perhaps this is a philosophical approach that flies in the face of making fragrances a hobby, but it seems to me that frags are something we use socially, and therefore they can be understood as utilities, not just luxuries. As far as I can tell, they're not as useful in great numbers, and less is more certainly seems to apply.

A woman gets off an 8 hour flight, and doesn't quite know how she feels about meeting you yet - it's been months since you've been together. She sees you at the arrivals gate. Gives you a big hug, and breathes in your familiar smell, and all the good emotions, the feelings and comforts that she ever felt in the presence of that scent floods back to her, and suddenly she can't remember what she was so worried about, it's like she never left you . . .

really appreciate everyone's input on this question, looking forward to any others
    Quite honestly, in a serious relationship there are many, and I mean MANY, more important things than the perfume you wear. And we all know the woman who tears off her clothes upon smelling scent x is basically a male fantasy. Most people may be fine with one fragrance, but once you've delved into the subject even only slighty, you'll want different perfumes depending on the season, the occasion, your mood, style of dress etc. You'll be interested in chypres, fougères, orientals, classic colognes and ultimately different varietals of each. Culture thrives on complexity, differentiation and multiplicity and most of us here are deeply interested in fragrance culture. You wouldn't expect someone in a watch forum to always wear the same timepiece, or a philatelist to muse over one stamp, would you ?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I don't know that people should really be concerned about 'deciphering' a quintessential scent from a person. It seems to me that naturally, whether a man wears just one or lots of scents, whatever the memorable occasion is, the scent will go along with it. I don't see that it is better to have just one smell to go with all the memories. I know I have music albums that I can't listen to any more because of emotional associations. It seems like the same would be true of scents... Maybe it's better to remember a certain weekend for instance, rather than everything that you ever did with that person.

Heh I literally have an arsenal in my fridge/freezer. There's probably about 2 liters worth of perfume (and 4 bottles of wine) in there that if my fridge explodes, it will light up my flat like a fire in an ammunition depot!
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Or, jeez, I wish this guy would stop putting his tuesday, wednesday, and thursday smell between his monday and friday cologne, which I love so much but don't get enough of
    Ok, so what If she liked your Tuesday cologne, and you decided to wear your Friday cologne for eternity? By that logic, let me point you to the old saying "even a broken clock is right twice a day" and hell, atleast the clock loves how he smells everyday.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by sharviss View Post
    That's a nice story and I appreciate what you're saying but I'm guessing most Basenoters wear fragrances for themselves and not so they can trigger some sort of olfactory recognition in others.
    I concur.

"effeminate" Only to those who are a little close-minded I guess.

karlovonamesti,

The ball is in your court now. Let's hear what u got to say.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 11th November 2009 at 03:45 AM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Quite honestly, in a serious relationship there are many, and I mean MANY, more important things than the perfume you wear. And we all know the woman who tears off her clothes upon smelling scent x is basically a male fantasy. Most people may be fine with one fragrance, but once you've delved into the subject even only slighty, you'll want different perfumes depending on the season, the occasion, your mood, style of dress etc. You'll be interested in chypres, fougères, orientals, classic colognes and ultimately different varietals of each. Culture thrives on complexity, differentiation and multiplicity and most of us here are deeply interested in fragrance culture. You wouldn't expect someone in a watch forum to always wear the same timepiece, or a philatelist to muse over one stamp, would you ?
    No one is saying cologne is such an important thing for a serious, meaningful relationship - just a useful psychological compliment to one that already exists, one that can help to spur certain sexual interactions that may otherwise need reinforcement from something less practical than a simple fragrance. I think of it only as a psychosomatic trigger - which one's sense of smell, acute or otherwise, most certainly is. How our sense of smell connects with our associations of what is and is not familiar effects behavior, which is something that should not be underrated.

Nor has anyone suggested that to smell a familiar cologne results in women hastily removing their clothes. Indeed, that would be some sort of fantasy, and here used as an argument just seems like overshooting the point a little bit to me.

I will admit that, although I have been wearing different colognes for many years, it is very difficult to single one out and say "this is it" and consider it the trademark for yours truly. And I've always been interested in the various chypres, fougères, orientals, everything from your cheap ginseng sport spritzers to designer niche fragrances. But I am perfectly comfortable with the idea of having one - or two - fragrances for regular wear over the course of many years. I guess this is just my philosophical stance on how and why a man wears cologne.

I definitely understand though the different viewpoints regarding the "arsenal" and I'm ready to concede at any moment that a man's scent, signature or otherwise, can certainly change at the drop of a hat, whether he wants it to or not. Right now I'm preparing to sweep aside all the cheapies I've been dawdling with to get the one big winter fragrance to wear from now until May. It won't be Chanel Allure Homme, and will have to be something slightly less expensive, but still great - something in the $30 - $40 range. Any suggestions?

I want to thank all of you guys for your input, and just say that I certainly understand better now why someone would gather many different frags together for himself. I may not be one to switch it up every day, but you've helped me see why there are those who do.

A woman gets off an 8 hour flight, and doesn't quite know how she feels about meeting you yet - it's been months since you've been together. She sees you at the arrivals gate.
    And being the gentleman you are, you've worn the fragrance she has indicated she likes the best on you, regardless of the sticker price. The next best choice might be the one you'd had on when you saw her off (you *did* personally see her off, right?)

Right now I'm preparing to sweep aside all the cheapies I've been dawdling with to get the one big winter fragrance to wear from now until May. It won't be Chanel Allure Homme, and will have to be something slightly less expensive, but still great - something in the $30 - $40 range. Any suggestions?
    One suggestion - keep a couple of the "cheapies" to wear occasionally so olfactory fatigue doesn't set in for your "big gun."
    Other than that, L'Occitane Vetyver, Old Spice, and Quorum are nice warm scents that won't break the bank. It depends on how cold your winter is and what's your style.
    Last edited by Hob Dobson; 11th November 2009 at 08:35 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    And being the gentleman you are, you've worn the fragrance she has indicated she likes the best on you, regardless of the sticker price. The next best choice might be the one you'd had on when you saw her off (you *did* personally see her off, right?)
    Ha yeah that's true, and that would be the perfect catalyst for a two-scent rotation.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post

One suggestion - keep a couple of the "cheapies" to wear occasionally so olfactory fatigue doesn't set in for your "big gun."
    Other than that, L'Occitane Vetyver, Old Spice, and Quorum are nice warm scents that won't break the bank. It depends on how cold your winter is and what's your style.
    Thanks, I'll check Vetyver out, never tried that one before. I live in CT so the 20 degree temps in January makes everything smell that much stronger.

No one is saying cologne is such an important thing for a serious, meaningful relationship - just a useful psychological compliment to one that already exists, one that can help to spur certain sexual interactions that may otherwise need reinforcement from something less practical than a simple fragrance. I think of it only as a psychosomatic trigger - which one's sense of smell, acute or otherwise, most certainly is. How our sense of smell connects with our associations of what is and is not familiar effects behavior, which is something that should not be underrated.

Nor has anyone suggested that to smell a familiar cologne results in women hastily removing their clothes. Indeed, that would be some sort of fantasy, and here used as an argument just seems like overshooting the point a little bit to me.

I will admit that, although I have been wearing different colognes for many years, it is very difficult to single one out and say "this is it" and consider it the trademark for yours truly. And I've always been interested in the various chypres, fougères, orientals, everything from your cheap ginseng sport spritzers to designer niche fragrances. But I am perfectly comfortable with the idea of having one - or two - fragrances for regular wear over the course of many years. I guess this is just my philosophical stance on how and why a man wears cologne.

I definitely understand though the different viewpoints regarding the "arsenal" and I'm ready to concede at any moment that a man's scent, signature or otherwise, can certainly change at the drop of a hat, whether he wants it to or not. Right now I'm preparing to sweep aside all the cheapies I've been dawdling with to get the one big winter fragrance to wear from now until May. It won't be Chanel Allure Homme, and will have to be something slightly less expensive, but still great - something in the $30 - $40 range. Any suggestions?

I want to thank all of you guys for your input, and just say that I certainly understand better now why someone would gather many different frags together for himself. I may not be one to switch it up every day, but you've helped me see why there are those who do.
    I guess whether or not having an arsenal would depend on how you would like to present yourself to people. My arsenal will consist of frags of each category: a chypre (givenchy gentleman? CPM or ES? not sure yet will decide later), a fougure (M7), aquatic (bulgari aqua marine), candy-sweet (planning to get azzaro twin for this), classy (egoiste, heritage) and a non offensive one for blending in (YSL live jazz) and depending on the situation i'll use the appropriate frag. A visit to the beach would mean using aqua marine. Formal event would mean either heritage or M7, or better yet, a chypre.

afaik frag prices differ immesnly from country to country. from where i come from they're priced very high. But i am not sure elsewhere. Perhaps Acca Kappa and Khiels' ranges may suit your budget as here they're sold a lot cheaper than designer frags.

We don't take kindly to folks like you 'round these parts...
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Have as many as you want. It's not like they're gonna get jealous of each other or anything, amirite?

Arsenals - I just sank USD$160 into four big bottles of cologne today. Polo by Ralph Lauren, 4711, Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche (two bottles). I also love Caswell Massey's Number Six, Tricorn, Aura of Patchouli, and Sandalwood, as well as Elizabeth Arden's Sandalwood.

How 'bout THAT for an arsenal?

I have to tell you, I was a one or 2 frag guy before I found BN. I have always loved going to shops and smelling everything when my wife and I went to Vegas or where ever, but couldn't afford most of what was for sale. When I found BN, I have been a frag junkie. I have traded some that I should have kept, but I always think that I am going to find the scent of all scents out there. Here's to Basenotes, my healthy addiction for life!

Well as many have mentioned, fragrances are a hobby so having just one kind of defeats the purpose. I wear different scents during different seasons and that's the main reason I switch up my wardrobe. Some people take into consideration what the occasion is.. but I don't put that much thought into it. At least yet

Dependent

've been dawdling with to get the one big winter fragrance to wear from now until May. It won't be Chanel Allure Homme, and will have to be something slightly less expensive, but still great - something in the $30 - $40 range. Any suggestions?
    We'll just leave the discussion of the original post, we all have our own opinions on things anyways. Now to scents... what kind of scents interest you in particular, apart from Allure Homme? It'll be easier for us to narrow down suggestions with a little bit more info.
    Last edited by MFJ; 12th November 2009 at 01:41 AM.

Or, you could've just as easily typed:

A woman gets off an 8 hour flight, and doesn't quite know how she feels about meeting you yet - it's been months since you've been together. She sees you at the arrivals gate. Gives you a big hug, and breathes in your familiar smell, and all the bad emotions, insecurities, feelings and discomforts that she ever felt in the presence of that scent floods back to her, and suddenly she remembers what she was so worried about, it's like she can't wait to leave you.

Just sayin'

:P

There is true merit in both ways.

I used to test fragrances extensively, but only buy one. Then I'd use it exclusively every day, but inevitably grow bored with it before I finished the bottle (Usually in nine or ten months). Then I'd start again.

Since finding BaseNotes, that has changed and I now have 100+ bottles which I use regularly, and another 75+ which sit in a closet awaiting re-discovery. I like the choice I have now, and the scents are purely for my own mood and whatever activity I have that day (a real wardrobe, as was previously said). I never grow bored with any of them.

But to argue in favour of wearing just one or two scents...

My wife died nearly four years ago. She only wore one of two scents - Cristalle and Lime Basil Mandarin. I now find real comfort when I smell either of those scents - especially the Chanel, as it brings me right back to when our lives were new together and full of so much possibility. More importantly to me, it allows my children to make the same voyage, so now whenever they want to feel closer to their mother, they spray one of those scents on their wrists. If she had had a "wardrobe" of scent, they wouldn't be able to use scent to recall her so vividly. Since they were very young when she died (nine and five), they need all the help they can get in remembering her.

I will always be thankful that she had those two "signature" scents...
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Dependent

That is very touching, JanAlways. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Duh, of course a man should have an arsenal! What's the point of Basenotes otherwise? Besides, you don't just have one outfit in your closet, do you? So why should fragrance be any different?

Should you have more than 1 piece of underwear ?

So yes, a man need to have an Arsenal. Imagine wearing Old Spice to: go to work, dating, clubbing, casual hangouts, wedding,funeral, company dinner.....

Sorry i dunno Old Spice that much but theres no scent that is THAT versatile.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    what kind of scents interest you in particular, apart from Allure Homme? It'll be easier for us to narrow down suggestions with a little bit more info.
    Good question - I think Allure provides the roadmap for that - I like moderately complex scents with the sort of clean but warm aspects of Allure, and to a lesser extent P. Egoiste (not nearly as warm). I'm not as into the cooler, lighter aquatics, like the all-to-common Cool Water and Acqua di Gio, although I don't mind them, and considering my budget they're in the running for this winter. They and Polo Sport are, to me, as generic as it gets, but I'm curious about Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge . . . wouldn't break the bank, and seems related to Le Male, which I admire, but certainly does break the bank

I'm trying to get away from Musks, and the dated stuff that currently inhabits my wardrobe (also cited here in basenotes). stuff like english leather, old spice, chaps, etc. I like the boldness of some of these, but most of them do scream 1979, and that's not always so good these days.

so to answer your question in a nutshell, something warm but clean, with good longevity, modest silage, and just different and sophisticated enough to not jump out at someone, not be too easily identifiable.

Generally I tend to usually wear the newest fragrance I buy most of the time, however I am starting to get a bit of a collection now, and i'm definitely looking to get one for most occasions.

Of the scents I like using, I have Rive Gauche for the more formal occasions, Terre d'Hermes for your mild or warmer days, Versace Pour Homme for gym or hotter days and I just got Burberry London last week, which i'm wearing most days what with the colder weather and all. I blind bought a bottle of Gucci Pour Homme I today, as I was hoping for a warmer alternative to the fresh and soapy/powdery Rive Gauche for formal occasions, but I really don't like GPHI at all, so i'm looking to swap it for GPH-II since I tried that and love it.
    Last edited by Smeghead; 12th November 2009 at 08:57 PM.

I don't know if this may be a useful allegory, but at some point when I lived in Chicago, I used to know two married couples. One couple were going out all the time, and each time they would pick a new restaurant. The other were going out all the time as well, but they would go to the same five or six restaurants, in rotation. Both were happy with their choice.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

They and Polo Sport are, to me, as generic as it gets, but I'm curious about Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge . . . wouldn't break the bank, and seems related to Le Male, which I admire, but certainly does break the bank
    Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge is an excellent choice for an affordable fragrance - it smells far more expensive than what it's selling for. Warm and classy feel to it. But it doesn't have much in terms of drydown. Another recommendation would be Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene - a classic gentleman scent which smells unlike many others. It would make a good cost effective signature scent imo.

I too would like a signature scent of my own sometime down the road. Maybe a bespoke with a niche/designer as secondary. .
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 14th November 2009 at 05:50 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Should you have more than 1 piece of underwear ?

So yes, a man need to have an Arsenal. Imagine wearing Old Spice to: go to work, dating, clubbing, casual hangouts, wedding,funeral, company dinner.....

Sorry i dunno Old Spice that much but theres no scent that is THAT versatile.
    I see your point, but I don't know, kind of on the fence with it. I think if the smell is complex and pleasant enough to the majority of the population, it could be that versatile.

The reason I have been wearing Allure as my signature does have as much to do with its weaknesses as its strengths. It is moderately complex to the trained nose - I'm very familiar to Allure, so my nose "nose" it, pardon the pun, and I can get the notes, the light woods, sweetness, and tonka at the base. To me these are its strengths. But I also get the slightly generic, synthetic element that is unobjectionable, trademark Chanel, but not lending anything in the way of uniqueness - this is where it seems to get a mass audience. So its a meeting of two schools of scent, and I've found it to work in casual social settings, where it gets compliments from the ladies, and also in work and date scenarios.

But you're right, Old Spice couldn't pull it off.

Dependent

Good question - I think Allure provides the roadmap for that - I like moderately complex scents with the sort of clean but warm aspects of Allure, and to a lesser extent P. Egoiste (not nearly as warm). I'm not as into the cooler, lighter aquatics, like the all-to-common Cool Water and Acqua di Gio, although I don't mind them, and considering my budget they're in the running for this winter. They and Polo Sport are, to me, as generic as it gets, but I'm curious about Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge . . . wouldn't break the bank, and seems related to Le Male, which I admire, but certainly does break the bank

I'm trying to get away from Musks, and the dated stuff that currently inhabits my wardrobe (also cited here in basenotes). stuff like english leather, old spice, chaps, etc. I like the boldness of some of these, but most of them do scream 1979, and that's not always so good these days.

so to answer your question in a nutshell, something warm but clean, with good longevity, modest silage, and just different and sophisticated enough to not jump out at someone, not be too easily identifiable.
    I've not tried the Jacomo.

Le Male is a sweet one, I am not sure if I know too many that can compare. I think you should give the Bulgari range a sniff. Bvlgari Black is pretty good - a little rubbery, and known for smelling like a little bit of tar and vanilla. Bulgari Extreme - Citrus and darjeeling tea, inoffensive, light and very easy to wear. And for a very good aquatic, Bulgari Aqua is really good and very much different from the likes of ADG. I don't really find Polo sport, Cool Water to be aquatic/marine smelling though. I know you're not looking for an aquatic, but Aqua deserves a sniff IMO - deep, briny, peppery and a bit mossy IMO. Also Kenzo Power if you don't mind some florals. These are pretty affordable scents worth a sample. Hope this helps.

Perhaps if you have a large rotation any woman who is with you will one day associate ALL of these scents with you. Then if she is unwise enough to leave you nearly every man she meets will smell like you, except for those who can only afford the cheapies and have no taste. She will go from loser to loser and never find solace in men again. Thus, your vengeance!

Me, I just love variety in all things - food, women, fragrances!

Lol, sorry for bumping, but, although I gravitate towards the arsenal approach, try to imagine a a man wearing something at the opposite of the Old Spice price range on ANY occasion (work, dating, fun, formal occasions, weddings, funerals, hanging out during spare time, meeting friends for a beer or for an evening at Mc Donalds, going to the theater, to the movies or to a concert...) with only ONE catch: the frag might be the most expensive ever, as long as he wears ONLY THIS frag and NEVER alternates. How would you rate this person, wearing ONLY one expensive frag his entire life, even if it is the most versatile and most ridiculously expensive discontinued, vaulted and/or limited edition Amouage, Creed, Knize, Clive Christian, Farina Gegenuber, Serge Lutens, Rance 1795, ADP or an extremely rare Chanel, Patou, Caron, Givenchy or Guerlain, as well as anything similar around these lines (which does not mean I disapprove of this houses or I despise/question their exclusive appeal).
    How would you rate this man, who decides to wear only one expensive frag as a signature scent during his entire life? - the scenario being strictly hypothetical and NOT meaning I am identifying myself with this story, as I would be tempted to always own more than one frag -
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 16th November 2009 at 12:09 AM.

Very interesting thread Karlo, I've thought about this quite a bit myself.

We are the center of our universes, and from our own point of view, we are more interesting and variegated than anybody we know. We have many more passions, interests, and ideals than anyone could ever associate with a single entity at any given time, or cram into a single mental image.

On a cold Canadian winter evening at home, I love the smell of my Burberry London; it is comforting, warm, and brings back fond memories of Christmas time, certain women, certain parties.

I also have a bottle of Guess Man that I received as a gift when I was a young man, and it sparks incredibly vivid mental images of a particular video game I had been playing at the time, amazingly

Cartier's Declaration. This is one of the first fragrances I sampled when I started checking out Basenotes a year or so ago, and I came to love it, and purchased it. At first I used it as a 'daytime' scent, and it seemed to symbolize long hours spent writing, cups of coffee, fleeting inspirations, reading, on and on... But nowadays I wear it often enough that it has lost any and all specificity of association for me. It is just 'there', as itself, though I still enjoy it immensely.

But in the worlds of other particular people, I am sure that my Cartier and I conjure more specific memories and feelings, while my other colognes serve only to dillute the integrity of these scentual (sic?? ;P) associations.

Likewise, a particular woman, in order to create a powerful impression in *my* world, might wear a particular scent all the time. There is a girl I've known for ten years and has always worn the same perfume, and her scent always takes me back to times we spent together years and years ago.

...of course, after getting to know someone much better, one may come to appreciate the breadth of their world in a way that begins to rival one's own. I think at this point, multiple scents have room to form different and wonderful associations, without stepping on each others' toes, just as they do in our own personal world.

Talking Re: Should a Man Have an Arsenal?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Lol, sorry for bumping, but, although I gravitate towards the arsenal approach, try to imagine a a man wearing something at the opposite of the Old Spice price range on ANY occasion (work, dating, fun, formal occasions, weddings, funerals, hanging out during spare time, meeting friends for a beer or for an evening at Mc Donalds, going to the theater, to the movies or to a concert...) with only ONE
    catch: the frag might be the most expensive ever, as long as he wears ONLY THIS frag and NEVER alternates. How would you rate this person, wearing ONLY one expensive frag his entire life, even if it is the most versatile and most ridiculously expensive discontinued, vaulted and/or limited edition Amouage, Creed, Knize, Clive Christian, Farina Gegenuber, Serge Lutens, Rance 1795, ADP or an extremely rare Chanel, Patou, Caron, Givenchy or Guerlain, as well as anything similar around these lines (which does not mean I disapprove of this houses or I despise/question their exclusive appeal).
    How would you rate this man, who decides to wear only one expensive frag as a signature scent during his entire life? - the scenario being strictly hypothetical and NOT meaning I am identifying myself with this story, as I would be tempted to always own more than one frag -
    If theres a gun pointed at my head, i'd choose the middle of the range (pricewise) : Kouros.

For the other end of the range, I'd go with Bois d'Orage or L'air du desert marocain.

I think people would choose Nicolai New York though. It is versatile but as I said, nothing is THAT versatile. I dont think NY is suitable for dating but meh.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

to answer your question: A man DEFINITELY needs an arsenal. Its not only more interesting but some scents are just not suitable for a certain situation. Imagine wearing Clinique Happy to a funeral? Yep, definitely not.
    Top 5 in rotation: Dior Homme, Pure Malt, Egoiste, Gucci Envy, Platinum Egoiste

Happiness is perfume, you can't pour it on somebody else without getting a few drops on yourself.
    -James Van Der Zee

Looking for large CAPS for M7, boss bottled #6, Bvlgari PH and YSL La Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRainbow View Post
    to answer your question: A man DEFINITELY needs an arsenal. Its not only more interesting but some scents are just not suitable for a certain situation. Imagine wearing Clinique Happy to a funeral? Yep, definitely not.
    Or Joop!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hammersj View Post
    Perhaps if you have a large rotation any woman who is with you will one day associate ALL of these scents with you. Then if she is unwise enough to leave you nearly every man she meets will smell like you, except for those who can only afford the cheapies and have no taste. She will go from loser to loser and never find solace in men again. Thus, your vengeance!
    LOL, this does ring true when this logic is applied, never quite thought of it that way, score one for hammersj. This would be a clever hook for a fashion novel I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake S View Post
    I am sure that my Cartier and I conjure more specific memories and feelings, while my other colognes serve only to dillute the integrity of these scentual (sic?? ;P) associations.
    Yes Jake, this is, at the end of the day, how I feel about it really - many here have mentioned that to wear but one frag is like wearing one shirt all the time, but I beg to differ - seems a little like a false analogy to me because a shirt is one thing, but a good cologne is but another thing altogether. A shirt appeals only to the sense of sight (and sometimes touch) for those around us, and the rules of visual association don't apply to the very different psychological mechanism governing the sense of smell, and the often exotic and unlikely memory associations that come into play with it. I think it would take the amazing technicolor dreamcoat to conjure the same sort of response one has to a familiar smell. If anyone doubts that the sense of sight is a weaker association trigger, play Simon for five minutes and see how you do

As far as women go, I would say fair enough, I can't expect every gal to like my signature scent, but then again those that don't aren't really for me, now are they? Easy first filter. Nor would I expect one cologne to fit every occasion, but who says a man must wear a cologne for every occasion? If I felt my scent was inappropriate or just somehow unfitting for a certain occasion, wouldn't it be even easier to attend said occasion scent-free, rather than try to determine which rank of an extensive arsenal should be put into play? Blasphemy maybe here on basenotes, but I've always felt a signature scent is something that serves a man just as much when he chooses not to wear it.

All of this said, I do understand why some men prefer to have a range for different situations . . . it's nice to be able to smell sexy and clean for that summer beach volleyball game, and confident, & sophisticated for that hot date, and often unnecessarily difficult to try to be both with one scent. Perhaps there really are two camps here: those who prefer to stick to 1-3 frags as part of their identity, and those who identify better with rotating through 10 or 20 (or more) frags as the various events in life come to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    How would you rate this person, wearing ONLY one expensive frag his entire life, even if it is the most versatile and most ridiculously expensive discontinued, vaulted and/or limited edition
    If he's happy with it, and it's not a pestilence to his present company, I'd congratulate him on it (take notes in case it's really that awesome) and move on.

As far as women go, I would say fair enough, I can't expect every gal to like my signature scent, but then again those that don't aren't really for me, now are they? Easy first filter
    ---> i strongly disagree. I dont use perfume as a "filter" for potential partner. She might be allergic to it, or just dont like the smell at all. I dont care. I'll just use another perfume. She might like other perfumes in my collection. Her taste is irrelevant with her beauty and personality.

Lesson learnt at the end of the day: If u dont wanna have a wardrobe more than two, then don't. Your wallet will love u forever
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 17th November 2009 at 12:34 AM.

"No Pain, No Gain"

Yes Jake, this is, at the end of the day, how I feel about it really - many here have mentioned that to wear but one frag is like wearing one shirt all the time, but I beg to differ - seems a little like a false analogy to me because a shirt is one thing, but a good cologne is but another thing altogether. A shirt appeals only to the sense of sight (and sometimes touch) for those around us, and the rules of visual association don't apply to the very different psychological mechanism governing the sense of smell, and the often exotic and unlikely memory associations that come into play with it. I think it would take the amazing technicolor dreamcoat to conjure the same sort of response one has to a familiar smell.

Agree here; it seems to me that we are far more accustomed to the visual world, and more adept at parsing and differentiating within it... perhaps this is why it is less likely to trigger exotic and unlikely memories (which are themselves often visual!), and why singular associations seem much weaker. Has anyone ever had a woman tell them that their hair colour reminded her too much of an ex-boyfriend? Or the shirt they were wearing?

It seems to me that smell covers a lot more ground!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    She might be allergic to it, or just dont like the smell at all. I dont care. I'll just use another perfume. She might like other perfumes in my collection. Her taste is irrelevant with her beauty and [b]personality
    This is the obvious advantage to having an arsenal, and using it. What? Hot Friday date doesn't like Bois d'Orage? she loves Unforgivable by Sean John? Or Cavalli Man? if you have them, use them.

But do you also see the danger here?

Just as an aside, I know it's out there, but personally I've never known of anyone having an allergic reaction to a cologne someone else was wearing. But if you're into a girl who happens to be allergic to one cologne, what's to say she won't be allergic to any cologne? What if her taste is that you go sans cologne from now on?

I think "Arsenal" is the wrong word. Wardrobe is more appropriate. Just like putting on a different colored shirt or pair of shoes for different occasions, a wardrobe of fragrance is nice to have. A man needs options. However, a wardrobe of 4 - 6 fragrances is plenty to cover most variety of needs. For me I need a (1) Fresh or Citrus, (2) Green or Vetiver, (3) Incense or woods, (4) sexy mens floral, (5) Leather or tobacco scent. That gives me wardrobe options.

But why do I have a 100 or so fragrances in the drawer? Is it Obsessive Compulsive behavior? When people start to develop collections that get into the dozens of fragrances then you have gone beyond wardrobe "need" and have ventured into your "wants" and you are now a collector. The intellectual curiosity and fascination in the variety of art forms possible in fragrance would put you into the fragrance nut or collector category.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 18th November 2009 at 05:28 PM.