Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1

    Default Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Ordered my bottle of Derby, should come by Thanksgiving. Anyone else joining in?

    The Guerlain Trunk Show


  2. #2

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    I'd love to have some of the Vega they have for sale... I dunno why but I just love that bottle and the notes seem to agree with me as well!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)


    Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

    "The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

  3. #3

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Nice choice! It is a stunning bottle.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Congratulations with your bottle of Derby btw, it's a true Guerlain classic!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)


    Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

    "The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

  5. #5

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Please educate me about the differences between the Derby at the NM trunk sale and the Derby EDT one finds for sale on ebay for no less than $299.00 and upwards to $399.00 for the 100ml spray bottle with tan cap. Thanks.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Derby is great, long live Derby!

  7. #7
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,323
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Delicious! Excellent choice. You will smell fantastic!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Quote Originally Posted by auee View Post
    Please educate me about the differences between the Derby at the NM trunk sale and the Derby EDT one finds for sale on ebay for no less than $299.00 and upwards to $399.00 for the 100ml spray bottle with tan cap. Thanks.
    I believe that the ones on eBay are the original introduced in 1985. The one at the trunk show is the reformulation that Luca Turin writes now has “a weird citrus note on top”. Personally I don't think it's that different from what I remember and I'm not going to chance $400 to find out...

    Note also that you can always get it from Bergdorfs, Saks either in NY or Beverly Hills and N-M in San Francisco. I got mine from Bergdorfs.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    It's so difficult to tell the real difference between the vintage and the new juice, since any difference can be due to ageing. I like the Parisiennes juice for its more sparkling and clear quality - the old juice I've got is a bit more mossy-brown-thick and although it's both remarkable and lovely, I sometimes think that the new juice is how my old Derby bottles smelled when they were produced more than twenty years ago. No way to find out, though

  10. #10

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    It's so difficult to tell the real difference between the vintage and the new juice, since any difference can be due to ageing. I like the Parisiennes juice for its more sparkling and clear quality - the old juice I've got is a bit more mossy-brown-thick and although it's both remarkable and lovely, I sometimes think that the new juice is how my old Derby bottles smelled when they were produced more than twenty years ago. No way to find out, though
    That's encouraging to read Mr. G, as I only had a decant of the reissue to compare with. I must say, I am very much pleased with the Parisiennes juice so far, and I don't pick up any of the weird citrus top notes mentioned in other reviews.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    I will probably join you too with the purchase of Derby, since the reformulation is minor.

    I truly appreciate the quality and uniqueness of Derby, and I have been wanting to add it to my wardrobe for a long time. Thanks for the link!

  12. #12
    Basenotes Plus
    Candy Perfume Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,068

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Random question: Are the Les Parisiennes bottles spray bottles or are they dabbers?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

    Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,736

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    Random question: Are the Les Parisiennes bottles spray bottles or are they dabbers?
    Splash bottles. No atomizers.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    here
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Splash bottles. No atomizers.
    Guerlain actually does make atomizers for the Les Parisiennes, but they aren't included in the box, so you must ask for them. They have a notoriously bad seal (=evaporation) so they aren't recommended.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,736

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Guerlain actually does make atomizers for the Les Parisiennes, but they aren't included in the box, so you must ask for them. They have a notoriously bad seal (=evaporation) so they aren't recommended.
    Ah yes, those fancy hand-bulb atomizers...I forgot about those. I would never use those. Too much fragrance leakage. Plus I think they're hopelessly girly.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  16. #16

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ah yes, those fancy hand-bulb atomizers...I forgot about those. I would never use those. Too much fragrance leakage. Plus I think they're hopelessly girly.
    Thanks for the education gents. My next question is how do you apply the fragrance in the absence of an atomizer? I have never dabbed a fragrance and to splash it on seems quiet wasteful from my cheapskate point of view.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Oh no Mike they are stunning to look at! I just loved to see those trying-to-be-masculine Parisiens bottles with their brown tie and silver label and with that totally femme bulb atomizers on top. So Guerlain: Make it voluptuous, don't care about what the men will think

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ah yes, those fancy hand-bulb atomizers...I forgot about those. I would never use those. Too much fragrance leakage. Plus I think they're hopelessly girly.

  18. #18
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,762

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    It's a shame that this line doesn't come in a spray. Oh well, I am glad I have a large bottle of the original Derby.

  19. #19
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,736

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Quote Originally Posted by auee View Post
    Thanks for the education gents. My next question is how do you apply the fragrance in the absence of an atomizer? I have never dabbed a fragrance and to splash it on seems quiet wasteful from my cheapskate point of view.
    Decant it into a regular glass atomizer. You can buy many different sizes and styles at www.accessoriesforfragrances.com

  20. #20

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Here are some photos of my bottle, sorry I haven't posted sooner. It does come with an atomizer.






  21. #21

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Oh Ruben it's lovely. Every time I see a Parisienne/Parisien with the atomizer I almost feel like being on the Champs-Elysées again... It's sooooo pretty!

  22. #22

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Oh Ruben it's lovely. Every time I see a Parisienne/Parisien with the atomizer I almost feel like being on the Champs-Elysées again... It's sooooo pretty!
    I'm loving it!

    And it does seem different from the the reissue, more deeper in the mid notes to me.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Quote Originally Posted by RubenC View Post
    Here are some photos of my bottle, sorry I haven't posted sooner. It does come with an atomizer.
    It looks great! Did you request the atomizer separately or was it just included? I had to pay an extra $30 for mine when I bought Vetiver Pour Elle from BG.

  24. #24
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,323
    Blog Entries
    98

    Exclamation Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Beware the leaking atomizer! I had one on an Acqua di Parma Profumo bottle that sucked the juice up & out all the time it was sitting there! I happened to look at it one day & there was a big puddle forming around the bottle. I switched to a portable decant pronto.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th December 2009 at 07:18 PM.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    It looks great! Did you request the atomizer separately or was it just included? I had to pay an extra $30 for mine when I bought Vetiver Pour Elle from BG.
    No, the bottle came with the atomizer. So far it works fine, no leaks, but I am considering transferring some to a small 5 ml sprayer.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    interesting: my Parisienne version of Derby seems to be much lighter in color than this amber-colored liquid.
    Are there color variations? or is this a computer monitor issue, I wonder

  27. #27

    Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

    Quote Originally Posted by Oaksbluff View Post
    interesting: my Parisienne version of Derby seems to be much lighter in color than this amber-colored liquid.
    Are there color variations? or is this a computer monitor issue, I wonder
    The color is pretty close to my photo, possibly a 5% shade lighter, give or take.

Similar Threads

  1. Leather Fragrances - Recommendations?
    By shamu1 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 1st August 2012, 01:38 AM
  2. Vetiver Redux-Update (five new scents added!)
    By wicozani in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 3rd May 2012, 09:14 PM
  3. Guerlain...OK, I finally GET it now!
    By Indie_Guy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 19th October 2008, 09:17 PM
  4. News: Guerlain, Patou: Scent of Couture
    By cedriceccentric in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2nd November 2006, 09:07 PM
  5. Guerlain new "old" Boutique
    By nqt in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 14th March 2005, 01:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •