Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

Ordered my bottle of Derby, should come by Thanksgiving. Anyone else joining in?

The Guerlain Trunk Show

Default Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

I'd love to have some of the Vega they have for sale... I dunno why but I just love that bottle and the notes seem to agree with me as well!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Nice choice! It is a stunning bottle.

Congratulations with your bottle of Derby btw, it's a true Guerlain classic!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Please educate me about the differences between the Derby at the NM trunk sale and the Derby EDT one finds for sale on ebay for no less than $299.00 and upwards to $399.00 for the 100ml spray bottle with tan cap. Thanks.

Derby is great, long live Derby!

Blog Entries

Delicious! Excellent choice. You will smell fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by auee View Post
    Please educate me about the differences between the Derby at the NM trunk sale and the Derby EDT one finds for sale on ebay for no less than $299.00 and upwards to $399.00 for the 100ml spray bottle with tan cap. Thanks.
    I believe that the ones on eBay are the original introduced in 1985. The one at the trunk show is the reformulation that Luca Turin writes now has “a weird citrus note on top”. Personally I don't think it's that different from what I remember and I'm not going to chance $400 to find out...

Note also that you can always get it from Bergdorfs, Saks either in NY or Beverly Hills and N-M in San Francisco. I got mine from Bergdorfs.

It's so difficult to tell the real difference between the vintage and the new juice, since any difference can be due to ageing. I like the Parisiennes juice for its more sparkling and clear quality - the old juice I've got is a bit more mossy-brown-thick and although it's both remarkable and lovely, I sometimes think that the new juice is how my old Derby bottles smelled when they were produced more than twenty years ago. No way to find out, though

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    It's so difficult to tell the real difference between the vintage and the new juice, since any difference can be due to ageing. I like the Parisiennes juice for its more sparkling and clear quality - the old juice I've got is a bit more mossy-brown-thick and although it's both remarkable and lovely, I sometimes think that the new juice is how my old Derby bottles smelled when they were produced more than twenty years ago. No way to find out, though
    That's encouraging to read Mr. G, as I only had a decant of the reissue to compare with. I must say, I am very much pleased with the Parisiennes juice so far, and I don't pick up any of the weird citrus top notes mentioned in other reviews.

I will probably join you too with the purchase of Derby, since the reformulation is minor.

I truly appreciate the quality and uniqueness of Derby, and I have been wanting to add it to my wardrobe for a long time. Thanks for the link!

Basenotes Plus

Random question: Are the Les Parisiennes bottles spray bottles or are they dabbers?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    Random question: Are the Les Parisiennes bottles spray bottles or are they dabbers?
    Splash bottles. No atomizers.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Splash bottles. No atomizers.
    Guerlain actually does make atomizers for the Les Parisiennes, but they aren't included in the box, so you must ask for them. They have a notoriously bad seal (=evaporation) so they aren't recommended.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Guerlain actually does make atomizers for the Les Parisiennes, but they aren't included in the box, so you must ask for them. They have a notoriously bad seal (=evaporation) so they aren't recommended.
    Ah yes, those fancy hand-bulb atomizers...I forgot about those. I would never use those. Too much fragrance leakage. Plus I think they're hopelessly girly.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Ah yes, those fancy hand-bulb atomizers...I forgot about those. I would never use those. Too much fragrance leakage. Plus I think they're hopelessly girly.
    Thanks for the education gents. My next question is how do you apply the fragrance in the absence of an atomizer? I have never dabbed a fragrance and to splash it on seems quiet wasteful from my cheapskate point of view.

Oh no Mike they are stunning to look at! I just loved to see those trying-to-be-masculine Parisiens bottles with their brown tie and silver label and with that totally femme bulb atomizers on top. So Guerlain: Make it voluptuous, don't care about what the men will think

It's a shame that this line doesn't come in a spray. Oh well, I am glad I have a large bottle of the original Derby.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by auee View Post
    Thanks for the education gents. My next question is how do you apply the fragrance in the absence of an atomizer? I have never dabbed a fragrance and to splash it on seems quiet wasteful from my cheapskate point of view.
    Decant it into a regular glass atomizer. You can buy many different sizes and styles at www.accessoriesforfragrances.com

Here are some photos of my bottle, sorry I haven't posted sooner. It does come with an atomizer.

Oh Ruben it's lovely. Every time I see a Parisienne/Parisien with the atomizer I almost feel like being on the Champs-Elysées again... It's sooooo pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Oh Ruben it's lovely. Every time I see a Parisienne/Parisien with the atomizer I almost feel like being on the Champs-Elysées again... It's sooooo pretty!
    I'm loving it!

And it does seem different from the the reissue, more deeper in the mid notes to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RubenC View Post
    Here are some photos of my bottle, sorry I haven't posted sooner. It does come with an atomizer.
    It looks great! Did you request the atomizer separately or was it just included? I had to pay an extra $30 for mine when I bought Vetiver Pour Elle from BG.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Guerlain Derby - Les Parisiennes Derby

Beware the leaking atomizer! I had one on an Acqua di Parma Profumo bottle that sucked the juice up & out all the time it was sitting there! I happened to look at it one day & there was a big puddle forming around the bottle. I switched to a portable decant pronto.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th December 2009 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    It looks great! Did you request the atomizer separately or was it just included? I had to pay an extra $30 for mine when I bought Vetiver Pour Elle from BG.
    No, the bottle came with the atomizer. So far it works fine, no leaks, but I am considering transferring some to a small 5 ml sprayer.

interesting: my Parisienne version of Derby seems to be much lighter in color than this amber-colored liquid.
    Are there color variations? or is this a computer monitor issue, I wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Oaksbluff View Post
    interesting: my Parisienne version of Derby seems to be much lighter in color than this amber-colored liquid.
    Are there color variations? or is this a computer monitor issue, I wonder
    The color is pretty close to my photo, possibly a 5% shade lighter, give or take.