Code of Conduct

Default A*MEN smells like cold chocolate milk?

I put on A*MEN this morning and it smelled like cold chocolate milk after I sprayed it on, I was really grossed out. I was shocked and moved onto something else. I think I may sell my bottle now.

Default Re: A*MEN smells like cold chocolate milk?

It seems like everyday there is a hate thread for A*Men. Not sure I understand why. I like the fragrance from top to bottom.

I like the fragrance too and, obviously, I like it so much that I own a bottle, but it just hit me this morning. I really got grossed out.

I don't understand why an unfamiliar association, such as this one with chocolate milk, is a negative thing. I enjoy finding weird notes or accords that remind me of other things. If I could find chocolate milk in A*Men, I'd probably like it even more
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

And it's all good.

I really can't wait to see how A*Men smells tomorrow.
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 10th November 2009 at 05:27 PM.

No wonder it is the #1 reviewed fragrance on basenotes.

"Cold chocolate milk"? Isn't chocolate milk cold anyway? Warm chocolate milk would be hot chocolate (or cocoa) wouldn't it?
    Last edited by Smeghead; 11th November 2009 at 02:11 AM.

Chocolate milk always smelled good to me. Unless of course it's gone bad. I hope to sample that fragrance someday soon.

Its funny but I barely smell the chocolate in A*Men. The Vanilla and Musk notes are dominant to my nose when I wear it.

Sur la Plage

You should have no problems selling such a fantastic fragrance.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I asked my partner if she smelt chocolate, she said more fairy floss... I get more chocolate though. Guess it really is in the eye (nose) of the beholder!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

My gf once told me that I smelt like 'god' when I was wearing A*men.
    I love it. However it's only wearable in extremely cold weather.

My A*Men reeked of roasted coffee, vanilla, caramel, and tar. I detected no hints of bugspray flavored milk. What a rip.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

A*Men is a "prototypical" recent frag meant to be "challenging." If you don't want to be challenged, just avoid it. There are other options if you want a "sedate" frag with a clear chocolate note (Lacoste's Elegance, for example). I prefer the latter, but I think the problem we often see here on BN is that a lot of people who are new to the frag "hobby" don't realize this distinction. They seem to think that in order to be a frag hobbyist, you must like A*Men or Terre d'Hermes or Kouros, etc. I strongly dislike all three, and I think it's mainly because the unbalanced/overpowering notes distract me from appreciating the other notes. Clearly, other BNers have different ideas about frag appreciation, and may not like frags that I really enjoy. And guess what? THAT IS PERFECTLY FINE !

Isn't cold chocolate milk nice ?
    I certainly would prefer cold chocolate milk over a lukewarm one.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I think you have to keep in mind that as your nose (and brain) progress, frags aren't going to smell the same. When was the last time you wore it? Maybe today was the first day you picked out a note that you don't really care for. This isn't a put down or insult, but to me it is a sign of progression. I purposely don't wear certain frags for awhile because I know I can come back a month or two later and it will smell completely different. I would say that it's a good thing that it smelled different today because that means you are smelling new notes that were always there but you never noticed before. Believe me, in a short time from now you will smell even more. I wouldn't sell off that bottle just yet.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    And it's all good.

I really can't wait to see how A*Men smells tomorrow.
    Exciting isn't it?

A good example is Celine Fever. When I first wore it, I found it to be outside my comfort zone, but I thought it was the kind of frag that I could adjust to, and I was right. This is why it's so important to sample over a long period of time. Yes, you need a lot of patience, but it's well worth the effort, IMO.

I appreciate A*men, but its not something I wear despite obtaining a bottle on the cheap. I would STRONGLY recommend you spray yourself with Hanae Mori EDP. It is like A*men done right and classy, and you'll get complimented.

But as others have said, keep waearing it and you may begin to like it. . two of my faves are Rive Gauche and Hanae Mori, which I didn't care for right off the bat, but by my fourth attempt were among my faves.

All this talk about A*men just made me want to wear it again, It's crazy hot outside, but what the hell.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    All this talk about A*men just made me want to wear it again, It's crazy hot outside, but what the hell.
    Good luck bro
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

it has some spiciness as well, like choco/pepper.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I remember wanting to try A*Men and picked a bottle of Angel by mistake. When I tried A*men, I didn't get chocolate, much less chocolate milk, but I smell something far less compelling than Angel. Anyway, do allow your nose to recalibrate itself...

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheRosePeacock View Post
    I put on A*MEN this morning and it smelled like cold chocolate milk after I sprayed it on, I was really grossed out. I was shocked and moved onto something else. I think I may sell my bottle now.
    A*Men feels more lactonic than many orientals, but you'll begin to perceive the lactones as something that just adds richness rather than something that smells like milk. A*Men is a quality fragrance, but its substance and persistence make it hard for me to wear, especially when I'm engaged in any kind of significant mobility that causes a rise in body heat. I don't even like to f*ck with that stuff on. But that goes for most orientals. It often feels so good to take a shower and get them off.

I love Amen , especially this time of year
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    However it's only wearable in extremely cold weather.
    Nonsense! I felt that way for quite a while, but it's good in the heat too. Sure, you should probably spray a little less, but it definitely works, though with a different feel.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    A*Men feels more lactonic than many orientals, but you'll begin to perceive the lactones as something that just adds richness rather than something that smells like milk.
    Ah, very interesting! What scent aspect(s) are lactones known to impart? (I have to ask as a chemist...I never thought I'd see that word in my life outside of a textbook!)

I would not have a problem buying A*men, but it's just that it is not that interesting to me. I personally would buy many frags before buying A*men. In fact, my wardrobe and knowledge have grown considerably since the begining of 2009. and I still consider myself a newb, yet A*men remains ˝maybe one nice day I'll have it˝ scent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Ah, very interesting! What scent aspect(s) are lactones known to impart? (I have to ask as a chemist...I never thought I'd see that word in my life outside of a textbook!)
    we should give man a prize for inventing a new word then (I'm not even being sarcastic or cynical...)

I wore A*Men almost every day for the past 10.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.