Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Basenotes...The Fragrance (AKA Pong Idol)

Ok, sorry for the horrendous (and probably quite English) pun in the title (Grant's work I hasten to add ) but we have a rather exciting announcement to make which will hopefully let us off the over-excited play on words.

Basenotes has entered into a project with CPL, an aroma house who have made (some of them FiFi-winning) fragrances for Jo Malone, Agent Provocateur, Nicole Farhi, Penhaligon's...to name but a few.

We went to the facility for the first time yesterday and had a very, very thrilling tour around their amazing HQ (in a former stately home in leafy England, surrounded by lakes and gardens - one of which is arranged in a 'fragrance triangle'. I can begin to appreciate how Alice felt when she entered the magical wonderland...) During this visit we finalised the details of the 'project' which are as follows...

• We will be running a competition which anybody can enter (subject to comp rules of course!), to design a brief for a 'Basenotes' fragrance. Full details on what the brief should include will be coming very soon. PLEASE DO NOT submit briefs yet! We would hate to have to disqualify a brief for not following the comp guidelines.
    • Three winners will be selected (by a combination of expert decision and public voting). The three winning briefs will be given to one of the three collaborating perfumers at CPL who will create three fragrances per brief.
    • 15 participants from Basenotes will then attend a 'tutorial' day at CPL for a masterclass in the technical side of the creation and modification of fragrance. Following this they will evaluate the fragrances (this will involve a further two half days on top of the full day tutorial) which will be tweaked accordingly by the perfumers and whittled down from nine to a final three winning fragrances.
    • Alongside the evaluation of the 15 participants, every Basenotes reader (subject to postal restrictions...) will be able to buy and evaluate samples remotely. Their feedback will be given to CPL and the subscribers may also be able to influence the final fragrance by vote.
    • The winning three fragrances will be available to buy through Basenotes.

This is just a very rough outline - there are so many strands/avenues of exploration around this incredible opportunity we are beside ourselves with excitement!

The reason that we are announcing this on the boards before we do any kind of press release or front page story is that we really need to gauge interest from Basenotes' visitors (as potential participants/subscribers/end product consumers) before we make one or two decisions about the execution of the project.

As with everything we do, this will be self-funded. We will have a lot of support and enthusiasm from CPL but we still need to know what kind of outlay we are dealing with, for example on bottles (quantity thereof hugely affects price and supplier choice), or whether we will have to pay for external sample packaging companies.

The end price for the perfume will depend on ingredients of course, as will the sample prices, but we want to make it as accessible as possible.

The full day and two half days on which 15 people will be invited to CPL and London will cost £250 (US$417) per head for all three days and will include transport from the nearest large airport/railway station (which is Stansted), the time with the perfumers, lunch, refreshments and all mod samples.

The sampling is again dependent to a certain extent on juice but will be in the region of £40 to £50 (approximately US$70 - US$85).

It would be really helpful to us in the next few decision making weeks if you could register your interest on this thread as soon as possible and indicate the level of participation or not that you are considering. Full details are imminent but we just wanted to give everybody a heads up on this mind-blowingly fortuitous and fascinating opportunity and get some feedback to help us direct the next few stages.

I look forward to reading the comments on this thread and if anyone would prefer to contact me by email they can do so here .

Dani

Default Re: Basenotes...The Fragrance (AKA Pong Idol)

Oh my god oh my god oh my god! This is the most awesome idea ever! I can't wait!

Will there be a competition for the bottle design as well ?
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

This will be amazing!
    Last edited by lightgreen22; 11th November 2009 at 01:32 AM.
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

Blog Entries

My husband and I have talked about this and we are definitely interested in subscribing to the samples and sending feedback as the fragrances are developed-- what a great educational opportunity! It might be fun to submit a brief as well but I will need to know more about what is expected. By the way, how large would the samples be? In my own family all 3 of us would want to sniff and discuss it so ideally for us the samples would be not less than 1.5 ml.

In addition, when the perfumes are finally ready for sale, I strongly feel there should be sample sets (with each of the three final perfumes) available for anyone to purchase-- since we all prefer to try before we buy, this would make it more likely that people will buy the full bottles. It would be a shame to put out all that effort and expense only to have bottles sitting around unpurchased for want of a chance to sniff first.

I am interested in the sample subscription and also in submitting a brief.

My suggestion for the final product is to have small bottle sizes--30 ml or less.

While I have no where near enough knowledge about the inner workings of perfumery to submit a brief, I would be more than happy to submit my opinions about the finalist samples
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post

...My suggestion for the final product is to have small bottle sizes--30 ml or less.
    I agree! People are more likely to buy-- and even to buy more than one of the final perfumes-- if the quantities are smaller.

What is the concentration that will be sold? I hope no more diluted than EdP.

Congratulations, Dani and Grant! What an adventure this will be for our BN community! Please count me in for the sample subscription.

Default Re: A Basenotes Fragrance

What a wonderful idea! What a rare opportunity!

Maybe Basenotes will eventually need more than one fragrance in order to appeal to a broad spectrum of tastes?

My wish is that the fragrance be an oriental, with no lavender or vanilla. Add a healthy dash of spicy cinnamon and some lovely sandalwood. My "dream fragrance" has always been an updated version of Alain Delon's classic AD, which seems a distant kin to Le No. 3.

Hmmm...it would need, of course, moderate sillage and excellent longevity.

I'm wondering:

1. How did you choose the fragrance house, or did the fragrance house choose you?

2. Will you be taking suggestions for the name of the fragrance?

3. Does the house choose the nose?

I'm excited! I'm doin' the happy bossa nova dance!

Wow, wow wow! I have to hold down my briefs as they're flying over my head! This is going to be such a great project. I can't wait to read more!

Basenotes Plus

Congratulations on such an awesome project! can't wait to sample (and purchase) the goods....

Great project! What would be the target price for the final product?

I'm totally excited about this - count me in for the sample program and brief submission for sure. Same goes if the scale gets big and a bottle design competition is needed. I doubt I'll have the change to fly over for one of the 15 spots, but hey, weirder things have happened!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Is there anywhere to find a portfolio of sorts of CPL's previous scents? I dug around their site but couldn't find it - it'd be fun to see other things they've worked on!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Will there be a competition for the bottle design as well ?
    Hopefully we will explore and create every aspect of the process from initial brief to marketing and packaging, however I should add custom bottles may be a little beyond us as minimum order for these would run into thousands

My suggestion for the final product is to have small bottle sizes--30 ml or less.
    I agree! People are more likely to buy-- and even to buy more than one of the final perfumes-- if the quantities are smaller. What is the concentration that will be sold? I hope no more diluted than EdP.
    I also agree on the size front. We will probably be looking in the region of a 30ml bottle.

We are producing the fragrance as an EdT for a number of reasons, cost being a significant part of that decision. We want to ensure that we are able to control the costs of this undertaking (being that it is all being done with no investment or funding) and that the end result will be available to as many of those who have participated/wish to try the product as possible.

Maybe Basenotes will eventually need more than one fragrance in order to appeal to a broad spectrum of tastes?
    There will be three at the end of the comp, all of which will go on sale.

I'm wondering:

1. How did you choose the fragrance house, or did the fragrance house choose you?

2. Will you be taking suggestions for the name of the fragrance?

3. Does the house choose the nose?
    1. It was really a series of happy networking accidents and good timing. We had the idea that we would like to give the community the opportunity to create a Basenotes fragrance for our tenth anniversary year and happened to discuss this with Shimon Kalichman. Shimon has 10 years industry experience in PR and event management for Calvin Klein, Jo Malone and Roja Dove. Shimon then mentioned an aroma house who he felt would be a perfect fit for the project and he set up the meeting. Shimon is now partnering us in the project and his support has been incredible - it has been the real catalytic spark that got the idea of the ground.

2. Yes! Most definitely - full details soon.

3. There are three perfumers who are onboard for this project from CPL - all of whom have very different personalities and so it will be incredibly interesting to see how they interpret the briefs with less constraints than they may be used to in some cases. One of the perfumers I have to say is a regular and active member of this community...

I'm excited! I'm doin' the happy bossa nova dance!
    Good!

Great project! What would be the target price for the final product?
    It is really hard to say at this point. We want to keep it as low as £50 and not go above £100 - dependent on ingredients and eventual sales. The more we sell the more economical it will be to produce and the lower the end price...Ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Is there anywhere to find a portfolio of sorts of CPL's previous scents? I dug around their site but couldn't find it - it'd be fun to see other things they've worked on!
    Scents include stuff for Jo Malone, Agent Provocateur, Nicole Fahri, Penhaligon's, Demeter, Space NK, Juicy Couture and more

Oh, wow!!!

I haven't been here long enough, but I'm so happy for you guys... You couldn't even believe how happy I am for this project and for being part of BN...

Would you accept sample testing from foreign countries? If so, I would love to participate, as my knowledge in perfumery is not good enough... I have a good sense of smell, though...

I'm assuming it would be a unisex fragrance? It's just that this is the kind of argument I would need with DH (he's still the kind of guy that wears men fragrance and doesn't even look at women's) in order to make a future purchase... Either way, even if it was a home fragrance, I'm there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Wow, wow wow! I have to hold down my briefs as they're flying over my head!
    and don't forget to submit one, either

Great. I have no money, but I'll try to scrape together enough for the sample program. A good x-mas wish actually
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

You two are just wonderful! I am so excited to sniff the results of a participatory BN project! Yes, I will buy samples. Yes, I will buy fragrance.

There's no need for a competition -- I've got your brief right here:
    CREATIVE DIRECTION

This product is to be the signature fragrance for Basenotes, an online community of perfumistas, many of whom have sampled and worn thousands of fragrances. Your submission will be analyzed and scrutinized at length by a large and relatively knowledgeable group of fragrance consumers, so extreme depth and complexity are essential. This audience has smelled every fragrance cliché many times over, so your creative concept must be entirely novel (c.f., ELDO's Secretions Magnifique, CdG Garage). Ideally, your submission will provoke fistfights among devotees and haters in the manner of Angel or Luctor et Emergo.

At the same time, the target audience is relatively small, so your submission must be irresistibly appealing to the vast majority of Basenoters in order to be economically viable. In particular, partisans of Carnal Flower, Kouros, and Mitsouko must all be left with the impression that your submission was designed "just for them."

The specific accords to be used in the construction are left to your judgement. However, some type of woody note is essential to satisfy the conehead contingent. Nevertheless, the fragrance must not read as "woody" or "piney" or "natural." A few fragrance territories are to be entirely avoided: 1) soapy, 2) rose soliflore, 3) animalic, 4) clean, 5) dirty, 6) perfumey.

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    The specific accords to be used in the construction are left to your judgement. However, some type of woody note is essential to satisfy the conehead contingent. Nevertheless, the fragrance must not read as "woody" or "piney" or "natural." A few fragrance territories are to be entirely avoided: 1) soapy, 2) rose soliflore, 3) animalic, 4) clean, 5) dirty, 6) perfumey.
    It's funny because it's true
    Last edited by Sarahsaurus; 12th November 2009 at 01:22 AM.

Well this is pretty much the best thing ever.

I am excited (and I little scared) to see what will happen when BNers get hold of the samples during the creative process and start proving feedback. We have to be gentle. I would hate to see some, ahem, poorly worded feedback earn us a fragrance that smells of poop.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

That's very exciting, though it seems that I want participate, since I know I will win
    and then I won't be able to attend the tutorial at CPL.

Blog Entries

If samples can be shipped to North America, whatever the cost, I'm up for it. I will buy at least one fragrance, but likely all of them. And I'm working on my pitch to the wife for an early vacation. Are these going to be three consecutive days for the tutorial? If not that, then within a work-week? Just wondering if the logistics would permit non-natives to participate.

And while I think NillaGoon's brief is SPOT ON for Basenoters , I will submit at least one myself!

That`s a great project - at last we got something at Basenotes to outbeat Sacre Nobi and IFF bloggers project!
    I definitely will buy samples, and believe will participate in breafs
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Just wanted to add my support for the project. Great news!

Really exciting and fun project
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

What a fabulous idea! I'm nothing like experienced enough to submit a brief and I'm about as artistic as a dead slug, but I'm more than happy to join in with the smelling part!

I look forward to the results of this experiment with bated breath.

I am realy looking forward to this! I hope to at least contribute to the sampling programme, but perhaps will prepare a brief (although inepxperienced in the actual production, I may have an idea that might lead to something else!)

Are the fragrances all going to be unisex or will it be a mixture of masculine/feminine scents?

Looking forward to hearing more!

Lee

Im very intrigued! I would be keen to sample and act as part of a focus group, and may consider submission of a brief as well.
    Grant/Dani, I will email you with more aspects of my involvement, so watch please this space!

Congratulations, by the way!

Basenotes Plus

Very exciting idea!
    I love cologne.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kissandmakeup View Post
    We went to the facility for the first time yesterday and had a very, very thrilling tour around their amazing HQ (in a former stately home in leafy England, surrounded by lakes and gardens - one of which is arranged in a 'fragrance triangle'. I can begin to appreciate how Alice felt when she entered the magical wonderland...)
    PHOTOS!
    Whenever possible.

p-l-e-a-s-e
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

US$70-85 for 3x1.5 ml EDT samples?! That's just outrageous! I'm afraid--as much as I may be interested in this project--if that's the price point for sampling alone, you can count me out for sure! Nothing is more of a turn-off in perfume than ridiculous pricing. There's some seriously good stuff out there in the $1-2/ml range. Nothing--no matter how good or interesting it may be--could justify 10 times that! I'm afraid we're not all trust-fund babies with cash to burn.. And I definitely won't be buying something that pricey without sampling first; sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by archmemory View Post
    US$70-85 for 3x1.5 ml EDT samples?! That's just outrageous! I'm afraid--as much as I may be interested in this project--if that's the price point for sampling alone, you can count me out for sure! Nothing is more of a turn-off in perfume than ridiculous pricing. There's some seriously good stuff out there in the $1-2/ml range. Nothing--no matter how good or interesting it may be--could justify 10 times that! I'm afraid we're not all trust-fund babies with cash to burn.. And I definitely won't be buying something that pricey without sampling first; sorry.
    I totally agree!!! We have never and would never suggest that you pay us US$70-85 for 3x1.5ml samples - those figures certainly aren't mentioned anywhere by us in relation to this project. Grant and I are definitely not 'trust-fund babies' and do not expect anyone else to spend as though they were. We understand only too well the financial constraints of modern living particularly in this climate

The sampling price refers to 9 x 6ml (a total of 54ml of juice...) samples across the process of modifications that will take place from initial interpretations to the final result - not taking into account the man hours that Grant and I will put into collating the feedback/votes and presenting this to CPL. The price also includes all three lots of shipping across all 9 samples to any destination in the world, subject to postage regulations.
    Last edited by DanielleCooper; 13th November 2009 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I echo Asha's level of interest!

Dani,
    Thanks for the clarification; that helps! I must have misunderstood from the responses above. I appreciate and applaud the effort you and Grant put into these projects, which is why I continue to support the site

Quote Originally Posted by archmemory View Post
    Dani,
    Thanks for the clarification; that helps! I must have misunderstood from the responses above. I appreciate and applaud the effort you and Grant put into these projects, which is why I continue to support the site
    Hello, I noticed your 'pinkness' which is why I wanted to clarify - if you are happy to subscribe to extra features on the site I figured that you are interested enough in BN to want to know the ins and outs

Dani

Wow - this is very exciting!

I would certainly be interested in participating in the sampling.

I am also interested in the sampling program.

How exciting! Sounds like fun! I'll for sure sample. . .

A really interesting project!
    I would like to participate in the sampling program.

ill buy samples and bottles

I'm just a lurker here but I'd be interested in the sampling too. Finished products as well (if they are available to sample first, as someone said above).

Heliamphora

Hi there, I'm new to the BN forums but have been reading them for quite some time. I'd definitely be interested in the sampling programme!

Congrats! I think that it's so important for people who love perfume to produce perfume. I doubt that Proctor & Gamble really care if the true spirit of Joy is continued. They just want to know that what they produce will sell at a ridiculous profit. The bottom line is... well, the bottom line! Too many folks in all industries compromise quality for profit. Therefore, I wish you much success and hope that your venture produces the future equivalent of Mitsouko!

Wow ! ... That sounds just absolutely fantastic, and ever soooo very exciting !!! ...
    Congrats Dani&Grant on a most inspired & excellent idea ! ~ What a perfect and most fitting way to celebrate your big "10th" !

I will definitely be interested in participating in the "sampling program" ... and will certainly consider submitting a brief too, for the competition.

Am already fidgeting impatiently for "The Brief" details and guidelines ! ...

What an fantastic and exciting idea!

Depending on finances, I'm a "maybe" on samples and a finished bottle. And who knows, maybe I'll even try to produce a brief. Although creativity has never been my strong suit.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

Yes, I love the idea too. I'll definitely be interested in the 9x6 ml samples. It's a lot more fun way to spend the money than on one bottle.

Could you describe what you will want when you ask for 'briefs?' I assume you don't want the super specific (a classic chypre using bergamot from an east facing orchard in Sardinia and 3% Mysore sandalwood sustainably harvested from a 15 year old Australian plantation) or the super moody (the electric mix of desire and fear as Romeo first kissed Juliet's hand at a masked ball surrounded by her relatives). But where in between?

This is going to be so much fun.

This is a great idea! I won't be able to participate directly but I look forward to following progress closely.

Please count me in for the sampling/feedback program.
    This is a very exciting enterprise, along with the magazine, Facebook presence and Twitter.
    Congratulations Grant and Dani for always keeping us interested.
    Evenstar

I am very interested in the samples and would love to submit a brief as well.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Congratulations to you guys on your new venture! I would be happy to participate in any way possible, but I'll leave the submittal of briefs to those far more experienced than I. To help ensure that you have the means to see your project through to completion, I am taking a step I should have taken long ago. I am proud to become a Supporter of Basenotes. All the Best - TricsMan

I would love to be a subscriber/end product consumer. Thanks -Dr. Pete

Add me to the list - I'll definitely purchase the sample pack and would love to be further involved in any way possible. This is exxxxciting!!!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

I should have asked earlier, will there be an official mode of signing up to purchase the sample pack, or should we just register interest here?

Because: INTERESTED!

I went for a job interview at CPL about 10 years ago... was offered the job but didn't take it. I did get a guided tour of the whole facility though, and I had a good chat with the perfumer that was 'in the office' that day. A real eye (nose?) opener.

I would be interested in submitting a brief, evaluating the samples, and then possibly the final product (kind of depends on what 3 win though).

Three questions

- would the evaluation samples be based on the compositions before the people on the tutorial suggest tweaks, or would the samples be the 'tweaked' versions?
    - if the former, would the rest of us giving remote feedback be able to give advice on the tweaking, or only which ones of the 9 make it to the final 3?
    - Would there be an attempt to make sure the final 3 were one masculine, one feminine and one unisex frag?

Andy
    Last edited by andym72; 30th November 2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Poor speeling :-)

already excited!!!!
    wainting for you brief in order to debrief and start briefing!!!!

cheers, and congratulations

Pablo

You need to keep the practicalities of it in mind (ie pricing and market) if you want to sell to the general public and stay in business... just a thought. It's also something people submitting briefs might consider. Speaking of practical, edp in that size might be more suitable and saleable in your suggested price range. jmo

This is truly one of the best things I have heard for a while. With all the diverse Personalities, Ages and Egos on Basenotes, the final three products should be Spectecular.

All the best on the Project. I will be monitoring the project with great interest and with a keen eye.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day