Code of Conduct

Default Creed Site vs Creed Site Case Study: Ambre Cannelle

A recent post here pointed to the appearance of the online Creed Boutique.

It is interesting when one compares fragrance descriptions on other Creed sites and the Creed Boutique.

Let's take one example: Ambre Cannelle.

On the Creed UK site (http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/products) Ambre Cannelle is described as:

An intensely warm and spicy fragrance, with a blend of ambergris and cinnamon notes.

At the Creed Boutique (http://www.creedboutique.com/creed-f...-cannelle.html) we read the following:

Characteristics: Seductive and warm in its approach with spicy cinnamon and amber notes, and vanilla at its base. Classic and powdery in composition.

Top Notes: Bergamot, berries
    Middle Notes: Coriander, rose
    Base Notes: Vanilla, amber and spices

The key point I would bring out is that the Creed UK site describes Ambre Cannelle as containing ambergris, while the Creed Boutique describes it as an amber scent. I would add that the Creed Boutique goes so far to describe amber as:

a type of resin derived from the fir tree that grows in Patagonia in Argentina.

There have been discussions in the past here on the ambergris note in Ambre Cannelle and quite frankly I was always puzzled as I got none of the ambergris vibe I get in other Creeds with an ambergris base. It was my impression that Ambre Cannelle was in fact an amber scent, but I wasn't interested in arguing the point, especially in view of the pronouncement of the Creed UK webstie. Now the current website brings out that it is an amber scent. (As an aside, I don't consider amber to be the dominant theme in AC; in two words I would describe it as powdery cinnamon.)

I would say more about the new description, but it would deflect from my primary point.

It would be interesting to compare other fragrance descriptions on the Creed websites.

Default Re: Creed Site vs Creed Site Case Study: Ambre Cannelle

REL old (e.g. cale.it)
    Mandarin bergamot
    Jasmin
    Russian Leather, Oakmoss

REL Boutique:
    Mandarin Bergamot
    Ambergris
    Leather, Sandalwood

Tab mil:
    Bergamot, Lime, Mandarin, Ginger
    Jasmine, Sandal, Vetiver
    Musk, Green Tea, Tobacco

TM Boutique:
    Bergamot, Tangerine
    Ginger
    Sandalwood, Patchouli, ambergris Tobacco, leather

Some others list fewer ingredients on the boutique site.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

*sigh*
    Sales thread here

As many know - I am a big fan of the fragrances, some in particular,but the crap they have written on that site is astounding. Look at the REL "history". Utter rubbish.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Everything is synthetic anyway (with the exception of Creed's alleged use of real ambergris) so the notes must be derived from the smell of a chemical composition. Since the input is all synthetic, the output is only the opinion of whomever is smelling it. I have a sample of Ambre and don't think it is that great.

Creed is also billing their 67th and Madison boutique as their first US Boutique. How soon they forget the Creed Boutique that exisited on Great Jones Street for years.

I seem to recall reading something in here or elsewhere about use of true ambergris being looked down on in some quarters. Save the whales...

Sounds a little like they're trying to walk a line between the people who care and people who don't.

I believe some of the reviews in I've read called attention to the fact it is a heavy duty ambergris frag.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Everything is synthetic anyway (with the exception of Creed's alleged use of real ambergris) so the notes must be derived from the smell of a chemical composition. Since the input is all synthetic, the output is only the opinion of whomever is smelling it. I have a sample of Ambre and don't think it is that great.
    Not everything is synthetic. I am not aware of anyone that makes that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I seem to recall reading something in here or elsewhere about use of true ambergris being looked down on in some quarters. Save the whales...

Sounds a little like they're trying to walk a line between the people who care and people who don't.

I believe some of the reviews in I've read called attention to the fact it is a heavy duty ambergris frag.
    Whales are not injured by ambergris harvest. It is vomited from whales and floats in the ocean for a good while typically before harvesting.

And as to the claim of AC being a heavy duty ambergris frag, I think it is mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Not sure what you mean?
    Creed fragrances vary quite a bit but some contain significant quantities of high quality naturals. Even Turin who is very badly disposed towards Creed as he doesn't like their style agrees they use more naturals than most.
    I'm not particularly a fan of Ambre Canalle either but many of their fragrances do impress me.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

We all know that pyramids are unreliable and serve marketing no less than information purposes. I suspect the changes in REL and TM aimed at defeminizing the older pyramids to avoid "real men don't wear jasmin" reactions. I think Creed pyramids have always tended to omit many obviously present ingredients to keep things simple and they are not the kind of house to list synthetics, as some more avantgardistic brands deliberately do.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    REL old (e.g. cale.it)
    Mandarin bergamot
    Jasmin
    Russian Leather, Oakmoss

REL Boutique:
    Mandarin Bergamot
    Ambergris
    Leather, Sandalwood

Tab mil:
    Bergamot, Lime, Mandarin, Ginger
    Jasmine, Sandal, Vetiver
    Musk, Green Tea, Tobacco

TM Boutique:
    Bergamot, Tangerine
    Ginger
    Sandalwood, Patchouli, ambergris Tobacco, leather

Some others list fewer ingredients on the boutique site.
    I think they are just reveling new notes that hadn't been previously revealed. I've always referenced the UK site, and the AU site, and combined the two note lists, now a 3rd goes into the mix Always suspected a sharp synthetic galbanum in SMW.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I suspect the changes in REL and TM aimed at defeminizing the older pyramids to avoid "real men don't wear jasmin" reactions.
    Likely on point. But this is one of the characteristics of Creed. Floral notes used tastefully and subtly in nearly every masculine. Some consumers would just rather not know i think.

It should be clear from all the posts over the years that veracity is the last thing to be considered in any statement by Creed. The last thing I would ever trust them about is the composition of their fragrances. To be fair to them, no one else in the industry is ever forthcoming with the whole t
    ruth, nor are they really required to be, so why should we expect Creed, which has a solid track record of absurdly fictionalizing their own history, to be so. Again, there's plenty of evidence from previous posts that like their fabled past, fiction looms large in anything Creed claims. I would suggest that if a company's history is predicated more on imagination than fact, those nebulous things we call notes will be subject to the same kind of imagination.

At least, after many absurdly perfunctory and desultory attempts, they finally got a website up that doesn't look like it was designed in the 1990's as a classroom science project by high school students being taught how to program in HTML for the first time. I guess consistency and veracity are too much to ask given we've now got a decent functioning website.

What's in Ambre Cannelle? That's anyone's guess. I have never believed their claim that real ambergris is at the base of most of their fragrances. It's quite clear that they have always used Ambroxan® and the countless "ambergris" aromachemicals that all other perfumers have been using for the last 40 to 50 years.

I don't like Creed fragrances in general, but Ambre Cannelle is one I do like.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 11th November 2009 at 07:11 PM.