Code of Conduct

Default Burberry London for Men Special Edition

I tried this yesterday and it seemed nice enough. Woody citrus version of the original....I thought longevity and sillage were just barely average. This morning at work I smelled the most amazing elusive wiffs of something beautiful. It was not my SOTD: Boucheron PH EDP, although it is beautiful also.
    What I was smelling was the base of Burberry London Special Edition. It is relentless and sneaky and beautiful. Must be the ambrofix (ambroxan) mixing with the floral notes of freesia and violet.

DO NOT discount this one as having poor longevity...it is a sneeky little thing that weaves in and out forever. Very nicely done IMO. Over 16 hours later and a shower it is still tickling my nose. Smell it up close? Nothing much, From a distance however, you get the beauty. Tricky one to be sure.

Default Re: Burberry London for Men Special Edition

I've been dying to find this one as the original London is one of my favourites for sure, but I haven't seen a bottle anywhere and don't want to pull Ebay on this in case I accidentally buy a limited edition bottle instead of the special edition scent. I might just have to dive in anyway though.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    I've been dying to find this one as the original London is one of my favourites for sure, but I haven't seen a bottle anywhere and don't want to pull Ebay on this in case I accidentally buy a limited edition bottle instead of the special edition scent. I might just have to dive in anyway though.
    My Macys had 3 bottles they got in yesterday. The SA made one a tester. One may be mine this afternoon.
    A play on the original, but the florals and longevity make it stand out as different to me. I am just shaking my head at this one. What a sly little devil it is for sure.

It's probably at Nordstroms - since it's been on their website for a few weeks.

Hey JWS, I sampled this one yesterday too. I didn't like it upon first spray and I was actually kind of pissed that Burb put the "London" moniker on it. London is so good compared to most of their others so I hold it to a high regard. But you are right, it is a tricky little one. After some of the topnotes disappeared, I was quite taken by it. I kept sniffing all day and it kept getting better. I only used one spray to the back of my hand and I 'm a frequent hand washer so I didn't get the longevity you got. It just might be bottle worthy.

BTW, I sampled mine at Ulta, which is a Sephora-like chain in FL. I'm not sure if they are located in other states. I like them because they put everything out and leave you alone. They had several bottles, if anyone's looking for it.
    Last edited by brrrry; 12th November 2009 at 04:15 PM.

So finaly someone with same expirience .... Great review , I'm in love with this one ...

I tried this at Ulta a couple of nights ago. It defintely was a lighter, more citrus version of the classic London. I'll have to go back for a more concentrated effort. I was sampling way too much that night!
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I didn't think much of the first 10 minutes or so either...just OK...but after, that the florals kick in.
    The wiffs I get are the unmistaken signature of the original London, but it has been uplifted with amber and florals. Very nice indeed at least to me. It almost has that same behavior as Molecule 01. It plays hide and seek with my nose. I guess the ambroxan is made up of some fairly big molecules like that of ISO E Super. Whatever is happening it is fun, unexpected, and a delight to experience.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 12th November 2009 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brrrry View Post
    BTW, I sampled mine at Ulta, which is a Sephora-like chain in FL. I'm not sure if they are located in other states. I like them because they put everything out and leave you alone. They had several bottles, if anyone's looking for it.
    There's an Ulta about 15 minutes away from my school that I never knew about! I'm an inch away from skipping statistics to see if I can sample this one.

Basenotes Institution

I love scents that play hide-n-seek. It's a tiny little detail, that makes this hobby a little special to aficionados like us.

Yes gupts, I think that is the one J_W_S is speaking about. Here's a better picture, showing the detail on the bottle a little better:

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Are we talking about this bottle?
    Gupts - have you seen this in Oz? If so, which store?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes gupts, I think that is the one J_W_S is speaking about. Here's a better picture, showing the detail on the bottle a little better:
    Thanks Mike. That picture most certainly gives me a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Nah mate.....I got that pic from eBay.
    There are plenty of cheap bottles there, if you are keen to buy it blind.

I ran into it randomly at Ulta and didn't even know that it was on the shelves until I picked it up.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I love scents that play hide-n-seek. It's a tiny little detail, that makes this hobby a little special to aficionados like us.

i saw them last monday on a store but i couldnt test them, really cute bottles ... is really a variation to the original ??
    Last edited by omniray; 13th November 2009 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Dr_Rudi, I first saw this in Myer over 1 year ago.

BL Special edition really seems to be a lighter, less thick version of BL. I'm BL owner and somehow I find it pointless in owning Special Edition. My wardrobe lacked strong orientals so I chose BL, even though BL does not strike me as invasivly thick warm oriental, but this is just personal, subjective point of view. It is sweet, but it retained some kind of arrogance and distance, not to say coldness. That's why I love BL. If stocks were depleted and no BL left to buy, I'd be very happy with Special Edition too!

I was thinking of getting the original London, but now i find there's a special edition. Any comments on which one to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Pique View Post
    I was thinking of getting the original London, but now i find there's a special edition. Any comments on which one to get?
    I'd say stick with the original

I'd go to your local store that has both and spray both, one on each wrist and decide for your self after a decent amount of time for drydown. Or if you have the time and the sotre is close. Try one out one day by itself, the try the other the next day if you can. I have the original London and love it. The special Edition smells great too, but I won't be buying it now. Give 'em both a try.

I just heard about this, I'll have to try and find it I love London
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by Pique View Post

I did a side-by-side test of these fragrances on paper and on my skin, complete with coffee beans in between. I like them both.

As a matter of personal taste, I prefer the thick boozy essence of the original (which I already own) over the citrus of the special edition.

Look how inexpensive the 3.3 oz original is here: (and no ground shipping charges if you're in the U.S.)

http://www.scentmonkey.com/product.php?code=M-2470

In fact, I just ordered a back-up.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 19th November 2009 at 05:47 PM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Ooh. If anyone can find out around you area I am willing to swap a couple of the bottles below in my signature(or just the Creed) if you could get it for me! I'll pay shipping!
    Last edited by Regis Philbin; 11th December 2009 at 10:36 PM.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

I find regular Burberry London to be a great cold/winter sent.

Burberry London Limited/Special Edition is more a Autumn scent. It’s nice, a slightly fresher version of regular London.

But since I like heavy scents, I’m selling my Special edition version - check the classifieds if your interested!

has anyone smelled the lighter floral special edition wrapped in dark brown leather:

as well as the newer black leather-wrapped special edition:

I realize they are different formulas, but I have only tried the earlier brownish-copper (men's) special edition.
    Wondering how prominent the pineapple/apple are in the black version, as well as if the tobacco has been pulled back...

...any comparison between the 2009 black leather sp. ed. and the 2008 brown leather sp. ed. is appreciated.

Wow, I didn't know there were different versions of the Special Edition, Dullah. Interesting-- I tried one a while back at an Ulta store and really loved it. I was thinking about picking it up but I don't remember for certain which version it was-- I think it was the black version-- I do remember a nice prominent pineapple note. Now, I'm curious about the "floral" edition that you mentioned. I'll have to seek that one out.

the one i'm selling is the black/dark grey wrapped one. thats the only one i ever saw on shelves for that matter...

I'm looking at my bottle. I can't tell if it's the brown or the "black" version. It looks like more of a dull gray / off-purple / vaguely brown color. It could pass as either gray or brown. Is there any other way of knowing which is which? Whichever it is, I like it much better than the original Burberry London.

I just picked up the 3.3 oz brown wrapped 2008 special edition at Ross for 29.99. I love it even more than the original and the original is one of my top 5 designer types. I would be curious if its different from the black wrapped special edition as well.

I bought this one last year,found it a very weak,,London with some citrus" smell and gived the almost full bottle to my son,and he is very glad with it.Everybody happy!

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    has anyone smelled the lighter floral special edition wrapped in dark brown leather:

I realize they are different formulas, but I have only tried the earlier brownish-copper (men's) special edition.
    Wondering how prominent the pineapple/apple are in the black version, as well as if the tobacco has been pulled back...

...any comparison between the 2009 black leather sp. ed. and the 2008 brown leather sp. ed. is appreciated.
    I'm trying to figure all this out. Is the Grey one an EDP?Looks like it according to this offer

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/info.html/pid.1021618363
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I wish it was an EDP. The Burberry Londons could use a bit longer lasting presence. 6-7 hours for me but I would like longer because I like it so much. I see conflicting EDP and EDT descriptions for the same color (black/grey) 2009 special edition on amazon. I have seen many EDT's described as EDP's by mistake by sellers for other fragrances when there was in fact no EDP made. Not everyone is a basenoter I know but it annoys me when sellers do that.

Md1grwl - you have the 2009 version. Does the box say EDT or EDP? Thanks

^all 3 versions of Burberry London for MEN I've tried are clearly marked EDT. only the women's versions come in EDP.

The Blackish-charcoal leather-wrapped special edition turns out to be my favorite of them all. I liked the copper-brown leather wrapped "floral/fresh" one, but it was just too subtle and lacking the apple/cinnamon accord strongly like the Original. This black-leather version pulls out all the tobacco from the base, thankfully, as that tobacco note always went all stale and dry "cigarette" on me, never nice smooth pipe tobacco, always dry cigs. It also freshens the entire composition with violet leaf, and "watery jasmine", also adding green Pineapple and plum to the apple cinnamon accord. This sounds like it would smell too feminine, but it doesn't, it smells like a fresher pineapple burberry london without all that dry tobacco, just patchouli. If you like the oriiginal London, Baldinini, Aventus, Cerruti Fresh Energy, or even Riverside Drive or Nightflight (although those last 2 have a different, sweeter/dulled pineapple), you will likely enjoy the black-leather special edition Burberry London.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Can someone clarify this statement? What is the difference between the "limited" edition and "special" edition?
    My wanted thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/265086 (currently in search of a bottle of Kiton Black)
    My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/270368

Quote Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post
    Can someone clarify this statement? What is the difference between the "limited" edition and "special" edition?
    there is no difference. people are mistakenly calling it the special edition... its really called the limited edition. there's only 1, and its the 'limited edition'

i have a basically full bottle still up for sale if anyone is interested (check my for sale thread)

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    there is no difference. people are mistakenly calling it the special edition... its really called the limited edition. there's only 1, and its the 'limited edition'

i have a basically full bottle still up for sale if anyone is interested (check my for sale thread)
    Actually, you have it backwards. They are called Special Edition. The name Limited Edition name is a mistake.

^Right, b0n3z, it's "Special Edition", indicated clearly on the packaging of BOTH special editions...
    Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    There is not only one, I have owned/tried BOTH "special edition" versions, and they are each a different variation on the fruity/spicy/fresh aspects of Burberry London.

So what is the difference between the two special editions? London is one of my favorite fragrances - I'm interested in trying these other two out, though unsure if they bat a bit too close to London's plate to warrant a purchase.
    My wanted thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/265086 (currently in search of a bottle of Kiton Black)
    My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/270368

Limited Edition, Special Edition...Black bottles, brown bottles....I'm confused.

Well the juice is different from the original London, I can tell ya that. I got it at Ross and ended up returning it becuase I thought it was just a different bottle. The juice is extremely low profile, little sillage and longevity. It does take some of the original London, thin it out, make it more discreet and add some more green/floral and powdery notes. It isn't bad but it it's no Burberry London for sure.

I just got back from sampling London special edition 2009 black/grey leather. Sprayed on at 2:10pm and at 4:20 pm it is at drydown

It has a little LESS longevity then the original london (30min-1hrs) less and should have a bit LESS projection due to the fruity notes, on my skin should last 3-4 hours and I have average skin.

The scent is borderline Boss Bottled + Original burberry london. Think Boss bottled's Apple/Cinnamon/Spice + everything in london minus the Tobacco mixed together and that should be what you get. I must say it's a bit more unique than boss bottled, but theres no reason to get the special edition if you have either of the mentioned bottles since. Boss gives me a solid 6-7 hours so theres less of a reason to get the special edition.

Conclusion: Pass, will get after I finish my 3.4 oz boss bottled.
    Looking to purchase - Aventus any size or participate in a split

I have the brown one, its basically original london with citrus notes, but i've asked some friends and they prefered the special edition brown one more then the original london. I want to try the black one too

So there are now two special editions? One in 2008 by the original nose Antoine M. & another in 2009? Maybe the pictures are from a different angle and showing the 2008 bottle looking darker???? I'm confused somewhat. I'm curious as to which one Jock has sampled. 2008 or 2009? I think it's great news if there is another "darker" version the the original.

Quote Originally Posted by remixx View Post
    I have the brown one, its basically original london with citrus notes, but i've asked some friends and they prefered the special edition brown one more then the original london. I want to try the black one too
    I have been trying to find this elusive brown edition to compare to the gray version to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Picasso View Post
    So there are now two special editions? One in 2008 by the original nose Antoine M. & another in 2009? Maybe the pictures are from a different angle and showing the 2008 bottle looking darker???? I'm confused somewhat. I'm curious as to which one Jock has sampled. 2008 or 2009? I think it's great news if there is another "darker" version the the original.
    I have the gray version and I will tell you it's not darker. It's a fresher than the original.

I think there is only one Burberry Special or Limited Edition for men. The darker grey/black bottle is the woman's EDT. Please correct me if I am wrong.

just check fragrantica if you are confused about the editions of london, honestly it's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ctran019 View Post
    just check fragrantica if you are confused about the editions of london, honestly it's not that hard.
    Thanks for the clarification!

No problem, don't know how you can get them mixed up.

^all 3 versions of Burberry London for MEN I've tried are clearly marked EDT. only the women's versions come in EDP.The Blackish-charcoal leather-wrapped special edition turns out to be my favorite of them all. I liked the copper-brown leather wrapped "floral/fresh" one, but it was just too subtle and lacking the apple/cinnamon accord strongly like the Original. This black-leather version pulls out all the tobacco from the base, thankfully, as that tobacco note always went all stale and dry "cigarette" on me, never nice smooth pipe tobacco, always dry cigs. It also freshens the entire composition with violet leaf, and "watery jasmine", also adding green Pineapple and plum to the apple cinnamon accord. This sounds like it would smell too feminine, but it doesn't, it smells like a fresher pineapple burberry london without all that dry tobacco, just patchouli. If you like the oriiginal London, Baldinini, Aventus, Cerruti Fresh Energy, or even Riverside Drive or Nightflight (although those last 2 have a different, sweeter/dulled pineapple), you will likely enjoy the black-leather special edition Burberry London.
    Thanks for the info, DULLAH. I'm really interested in the black special edition with fruity notes. How's its longevity (is it any better than the original's)?

Hi. I am confused.
    Here's the backdrop: I recently got this cologne on ebay by mistake; that is to say, the seller shipped me the wrong one. It's called Burberrys of London For Men. Well, the other buyer (wth my cologne I actually won) never responded, so I just decided to keep this and I even told the seller not to worry about giving me a partial refund (which she offered me to keep it).

Here's the story: I never smelled it nor sprayed it until it was officially mine, and whenI did, WOW!!!!! It is classy and awesome and just plain delicious! I think I may have an original, but I am not sure. The bottle has "Burberrys" in big letters, then "OF LONDON" underneath. Then, a little below that, "FOR MEN", and down near the base it says "EAU DE TOILETTE". Do I have a real gem or just a cZ? Either way, this smells GREAT!! I have attached the actual picture. What is this???

Am I missing the photo somewhere? Don't see the attachment.

Hi. Yes- I messed up. If you can help me, I can post the picture. It is saved on my computer. I am most curious about this Burberrys. Thanks.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi. I am trying this again- I hope this picture comes out of my Burberrys of london. If so, is this a good one?
    Last edited by karazzmatic; 15th May 2012 at 03:12 AM.

No - can't be viewed but can't help you either as I'm not the most tech savvy person. I did it once a long time but have forgotten what I did. I'm sure a knowledgeable person will chime in and help you out.

Hi. Look again- I just posted it- I used photobucket for the image url. What can you tell me about this Burberrys? (my phone took a decent picture- LOL)

I can see it now. It looks like the original Burberrys for Men. It looks legit, but I'm no expert on detecting fakes. I have this but can't remember what my bottle looks like. Not near my collection at the moment.

Cool. Update me when you get a chance. I am very curious (and quite lucky- I suppose). Thanks.