Code of Conduct

Thread: I love incense!

Default I love incense!

Hey everybody! I love incense dominant fragrances and I was wondering if you could recommend some to add to my sample list.

Ones that I love and have purchased include CdG Avignon, C&S Frankincense and Myrrh and Sonoma Scent Studio Encens Tranquille. I'm still waiting for the reformulation which she told me should be better than the original that I have sampled from The Perfumed Court. I guess from these three you can tell that I really like frankincense but I'm open to anything incensy in nature.

I have tried and enjoyed all of the CdG incense line and purchased my favorite but $80 for 50ml is a bit much to complete the collection. I've tried Armani Prive Bois d'Encens although I would not buy it full price as I don't feel its performance warrants it. Too bad I missed its rounds in the discount stores.

I did not care for Encens Flamboyant according to my "tried" list here but I can't remember why as it's been a while. I'll have to recheck my sample. Angelique Encens is discontinued and I did enjoy it but I don't recall a strong incense note.

Any recommendations you have will be appreciated!

Default Re: I love incense!

the usual drill... (this link would providea comprehensive list - http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=incense
    Etro Messe d' Minuit
    Amouage line
    Parfumerie Generale Querelle
    Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline, Rock Crystals
    Profumum Olibanum
    Serge Lutens Serge Noire
    + many more
    Last edited by jenson; 13th November 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks for that link. I searched for incense and that thread didn't pop up in the first 5 pages I looked through. I'll peruse.

ohhh..i ididnt mean to say you didnt do the search right...actually, i remembered i had posted a similar question earlier and hence; it was easy for me to pull out this thread since the search feature allows me to search for threads started by self with a specific title ...

Have you tried l'Occitaine's Eau des Baux? One of my favorites and very affordable.

Gucci, Rush is a fantastic incense fragrance. I am wearing it today and I like it more and more each time I wear it. The incense is very dry and, as a result, smells somewhat like a smoky incense filled cedar wood chest. It gets a tad sweeter as it dries down though.

Rush is an excellent suggestion. may i add Parfumerie Generales L'Eau Geuierre. i find it to be a greener, incensed version of Gucci Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Hey everybody! I love incense dominant fragrances ...
    I did not care for Encens Flamboyant according to my "tried" list here but I can't remember why as it's been a while.
    I agree, a good incense scent can be marvelous.
    I'll second the recommendation for Profumum's Olibanum, particularly since you like frankincense.
    One that is not well known in North America is I Profumi di Firenze, Incenso. It is very dry and resinous. It can be special ordered from Italy through the American distributor.
    Miller & Bertaux's Spiritus/Land is also very good.
    What you may not have liked about Encens Flamboyant is that is not really very incense-oriented. I found it to be spicy and cool, but not resinous.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

L'Artisan Parfumeur - Passage d'Enfer
    Oohhhh my goodness - that one is perfection!
    It's shy, mysterious but hypnotic and very very cool.
    The box reads you can reach the seventh heaven ....
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Off-Scenter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 27th November 2009 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I agree, a good incense scent can be marvelous.
    I'll second the recommendation for Profumum's Olibanum, particularly since you like frankincense.
    One that is not well known in North America is I Profumi di Firenze, Incenso. It is very dry and resinous. It can be special ordered from Italy through the American distributor.
    Miller & Bertaux's Spiritus/Land is also very good.
    What you may not have liked about Encens Flamboyant is that is not really very incense-oriented. I found it to be spicy and cool, but not resinous.
    Yes, resinous. That's what I like! Dry and resinous! I liked Gucci Rush very much but where in the world can I find it at a reasonable price? Is it not discontinued? Everywhere I look it's either aftershaves, out of stock or very expensive because of the lack of supply.

I've actually tried the Parfumerie Generales that have been recommended. Didn't care for them very much. One had an opening that reminded me of buttered pancakes that didn't sit well with me. I very much like Bois Blond so I thought I'd like other PG frags so I looked for their offerings with incense but they were not my thing. And the Amouages I've tried come off as very flowery, sweet and too feminine to my nose. I can see why others love them but sadly, I did not. I'll have to revisit my Amouage samples and seek out more to see if my feelings have changed. I hate doing that though because I usually end up finding another favorite that I must buy. And Amouage is certainly not cheap!
    Last edited by PorkFat; 13th November 2009 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Yes, resinous. That's what I like! Dry and resinous! I liked Gucci Rush very much but where in the world can I find it at a reasonable price? Is it not discontinued? Everywhere I look it's either aftershaves, out of stock or very expensive because of the lack of supply.
    our Bner, Xmen, has them for very reasonable rate..check out his sale thread...

Corinto by Carlo Corinto is to me dry and resinous.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Dia for Men, Dzongkha, L'Homme Sage, L'Air du Desert Marocain, Epic Man, Wazamba, Filles en Aiguilles, and Jubilation XXV, for starters.
    Simply some of the best. My fav of the lot is Jubilation - it has a dusty feel, like you rubbed dried fruit, spices and crushed incense on your skin.

I really love church incense....but believe me...I ve never found that kind of incense....

My suggestion in the "incense style":

Visit by Azzaro.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacomo Rouge .... onbehalf of Bigsly
    & from me Moschino PH

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    I really love church incense....but believe me...I ve never found that kind of incense....

My suggestion in the "incense style":

Visit by Azzaro.
    If you want church incense, give Cologne pour le Soir a chance. Smells to me like red wine, benzoin, frankincense and rose honey. It might just be the one!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Dia for Men, Dzongkha, L'Homme Sage, L'Air du Desert Marocain, Epic Man, Wazamba, Filles en Aiguilles, and Jubilation XXV, for starters.
    OK, all of those have been added to my list except Filles en Aiguilles as samples of Serge Lutens aren't available on Luckyscent. I'll have to get from TPC soon. You're one of the more prolific reviewers who I normally agree with so I look forward to trying these!

I'll get around to everybody's suggestion eventually!
    Last edited by PorkFat; 14th November 2009 at 05:20 AM.

Along with those recomended by Vibert I want to add Oliver Durbano's Black Tourmaline. You get the frankincense and woods of Avignon plus the dark tar and smoke of a dark masculine scent like Or Black by Morabito. A remarkable incense.

Another that could be classified as incense is Let Me Play the Lion by Les Nez. Smells very much like high plains dessert scrub baking in the sun. It is smokey but still green. Smells a bit like sage and pinon incense smoke to me.

A few other incense goodies have occurred to me I will pass on.

Incense that is built around the light mysteriousness of iris are: Miller Harris En Sens d' Bois and L' Artisan Dzongka. En Sens d' Bois smells extremely dry but also like cold stone - very haunting - very unusual, but is one of the most difficult to locate and purchase fragrances on the planet, and difficult to sample. Dzongka is easier to purchase or sample as it is sold almost everywhere niche frargances are found and similar to ESdB it is also built around iris and incense + tea resulting in a cold, dry but elevating incense.

I also have come to really like Passage d' Enfer as an incense favorite. I used to think it was too feminine because it is built around white lilly, but the Lilly gives life to a cool darkness from the incense and combined with white musk results in a very clean uplifiting light final scent that is different from any other incense fragrance I've tried. It is so subtle it is hard to pin down the fragrance but you can smell it on fabrics the next day - a beautiful incense scent.

CdG Kyoto is a good incense too. Light, subtle, easy to wear and very enjoyable.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 14th November 2009 at 01:55 PM.