Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mad Men fans: What frag would Don Draper wear?

As a fan of the styles of the late 50's and early 60's, I enjoy Mad Men.

What scent would Don Draper wear? Chanel PM?

Default Re: Mad Men fans: What frag would Don Draper wear?

Don will wear no other than the iconic Dior Eau Sauvage.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Maybe St. John's Bay Rum or Canoe. Possibly 4711. I don't think anything much more exotic would have been likely for an American businessman of that era.

Aramis.

Knize Ten advertised in the New Yorker during those years, so I think DD would have opted for "the gentleman's cologne."
    Currently wearing: Halston Z-14 by Halston

I'm thinking Old Spice or Guerlain Vetiver.

He would wear Ho Hang.

Eau d'Hermes. It smelled old and nasty even in 1963.

Teddius

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Don will wear no other than the iconic Dior Eau Sauvage.
    Eau Sauvage wasn't released until 1966.... "Mad Men" at the moment is set in '62/'63
    ...perhaps a Guerlain.. Vetyver maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by scentsableguy View Post
    Eau Sauvage wasn't released until 1966.... "Mad Men" at the moment is set in '62/'63
    ...perhaps a Guerlain.. Vetyver maybe??
    I noticed my mistake for some time but u were the only one that caught it

Let me put it this way...one of Don's numerous flings in 1966 will buy him a bottle of Eau Sauvage
    I'll still stick to ES though as I think it fits Don very well.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 14th November 2009 at 01:56 PM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I noticed my mistake for some time but u were the only one that caught it

Let me put it this way...one of Don's numerous flings in 1966 will buy him a bottle of Eau Sauvage
    I'll still stick to ES though as I think it fits Don very well.
    yay me

perhaps Stirling Cooper was doing prelim advertising ideas for it and he got an advance bottle???

ugh

CLUBMAN By Pinauad

Quote Originally Posted by scentsableguy View Post
    yay me

perhaps Stirling Cooper was doing prelim advertising ideas for it and he got an advance bottle???
    LOL...I won't rule that possibility out.

Blog Entries

Once, while watching the show, I thought I caught a glimpse of a bottle of Caron Pour un Homme on the dressing table in the Drapers' bedroom, but since I was watching a downloaded copy the quality didn't permit me to verify. I should have noted the episode number and time marker though... But I've actually considered writing to the set dresser and asking her about this.

Caron Pour Un Homme makes sense. That was probably a high end and popular men's frag in the department stores in early 60's.

I've enjoyed the variety of answers here, even the ones paying no heed to date.

I'd like to think Don avoided the dreaded Clubman, though it is a private indulgence of mine sometimes.

Guerlain's Vetiver

Beating this into the ground now...found an episode line wherein Rachel the department store heiress commented that he had a frag on with a hint of jasmine.

Dunhill for Men (1934)?

Old Spice?

Both had a jasmine note and were available then.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 15th November 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Either the original Monsieur Balmain or Arden Men Eau de Cologne Tradition. Both discontinued.

He's a former US Army soldier - so most likely Old Spice, as it was supplied to American GI's I believe.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Blog Entries

Yeah, you know, I really doubt Don would go for some frou-frou cologne. His appearance, when you think about it, is studiously conservative and nondescript: plain white shirts, grey suits, and grey ties. He even wears a fedora, which not as many men as you'd think were still doing in 1963. Some of us wear only white shirts because we like how it looks, but Don wears only white shirts because he doesn't care about shirts. They're fungible, a commodity, like soap or toothpaste. He doesn't express himself through fashion - he basically uses it as camouflage. I think Old Spice is probably the most realistic option. He might think that he's expected to wear an aftershave, because it's what respectable men do, but he chooses something which is designed to make as little impression on people as possible.

Default What would Mad Men`s Don Draper wear?

I know these fragrances wasn`t made in the 60-ies, but I can easily see Mad Men`s Don Draper wearng Amouage Epic and Hermès Bel Ami.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: What would Mad Men`s Don Draper wear?

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

I think every time a new season of Mad Men starts someone needs to bump the original "What Would Don Draper Wear?" thread on to the front page. It will save on the multiple threads.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Oops.. Sorry..

Geo F Trumper GFT Cologne.

aramis and old spice. modern polo double black? brooks brothers? john varvatos even?

It's one of my favorite shows and I started the original thread. I find it interesting that the answers are based on scents that "feel" like something he would wear regardless of when issued, versus scents that were actually available when the show takes place (this season is 1964.) The selection of men's scents that would have been available in his world was pretty limited then.

I go literal and because a woman in the show said he smelled like jasmine, I say Old Spice or maybe Dunhill 1934. While he's certainly always very well dressed by our standards today, he's really just conforming to the norms of business dress of the time. I don't think he is stylish to the point of putting a lot of thought into chasing down frags, unless one of the women in his life foist something on him. i.e. He wouldn't be a Basenoter.

Having asserted all that, whenever I smell Brooks Brothers 1818 or Bois du Portugal, I feel like I'm in the lobby of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce waiting for Joan.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 1st August 2010 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derekzee View Post
    aramis and old spice. modern polo double black? brooks brothers? john varvatos even?

I agree with derekzee:
    Old Spice, he probably didn't know any better, since the show is based on a 1964 American setting -or close to 64-, i would say that yes he would change after a few years to Aramis...(maybe would still wear it today if the character is still alive)

If we're allowed to timeshift, he's the perfect BdP recipient.

What would his alter ego, Dick Whitman wear?

In the first season -episode 8, the ladies in the office are discussing Salvatore Romano, (the Italian guy); "He wears cologne. But not that cheap stuff. Something European maby.."

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    In the first season -episode 8, the ladies in the office are discussing Salvatore Romano, (the Italian guy); "He wears cologne. But not that cheap stuff. Something European maby.."
    Yeah, well Sal is much more artistic than Don, focused more on style and appearance. There's a lot more thought put into how he dresses. He would be a Basenoter.

Don's type is much more focused on business though he is a creative guy.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Yeah, well Sal is much more artistic than Don, focused more on style and appearance. There's a lot more thought put into how he dresses. He would be a Basenoter.

Don's type is much more focused on business though he is a creative guy.
    Absolutely agreed. It`s a true pleasure to look at all the details in this excellent tv-drama. I can`t help but thinking of Gucci pour Homme, Amouage Epic, Rocas Lui, and Hermes Equipage/Bel Ami when I look at these whisky drinkable, well-dressed men.

Amazing, Oslo- I was also thinking the original Gucci Pour Homme or Equipage. Possibly Pierre Cardin.

He would wear Cravache. Oh yes he would. There, it has been said.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

"Dick Whitman" would have worn Aqua Velva or Mennen After-Shave, if anything at all. I love thinking what characters would wear. What would also be interesting would be to find out what famous people in history wore like Mark Twain, Lincoln, etc. I get a whole different perception of something in time if I were to find out they wore fragrance. Or go to the dark side...what did Hitler wear? That would ruin any fragrance for sure. Somehow I can totally imagine George Washington smelling all "powdery." But others in history are much more difficult to imagine.

Cassandra

www.perfume.com describes Boucheron Pour Homme as a scent for Don Draper. "Don Draper of Mad Men would carry this one effortlessy..."

Who gives a sh*t.

The more his professional success and social status increase, the more I would see him likely to wear Chanel pour Monsieur EDT- for several reasons, I do perceive this frag as very gentlemanly, conservative-corporate, powerful without being overpowering, tacky or obnoxious

Default Don Draper

friends,

sorry if this is old news ( to lazy to surch in the database) but, if I see him in Mad Man, I think inmediatly at Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (I know, did nt exist at that time)..

Any other comparaisons ? :-)

Default Re: Don Draper

Derby

Basenotes Institution

I just watching Mad Men on my iPad while I was on the treadmill at the gym...what a great show.

Yeah, Paco Rabanne sounds right, anything hyper-masculine I suppose.
    "Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Even if this scent didn't exist back then either, a further suggestion would also be Azzaro pour Homme

Having seen more than a few of these threads, realistically it mostly seems like Don wore Old Spice. There is one episode where a woman says he smells like jasmine, which I believe is one of the principle notes in Old Spice. Another BNer thought they once spotted a Caron Pour un Homme bottle in an episode.

Realistically, there were not so many acceptable men's fragrances during the time that show is set. Don strikes me as a manly man, with a rural background who would not push the envelope much on those sort of frivolous (in the early 60s) things. Roger on the other hand would probably have used Habit Rouge which came out in '65. They are moving into the late 60s now, so men's fragrance choices start expanding.

I think many of us have a scent that seems to channel the look and feel of the characters of that show, and for me it's Creed Vetiver '48. One of my favorite shows. My dad was a Detroit version of a "Mad Man," and in no small way contributed mightily to me becoming a frag head.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 15th January 2012 at 07:36 PM.

Old Spice
    Brut
    Aramis
    English Leather
    Canoe

Dependent

I even thought maybe Encre Noire. It has that smokiness to it that I feel fits his habit of lighting up every 5 minutes.

Sur la Plage

Definitely Aramis.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Eau Sauvage
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Un Parfum de Sens et Bois. It's got that slim-tie/skinny-belt elegance, and somehow the cedar/ozone/elemi combination, through a synesthetic filter, translates to that amazing 50s Mad Men color palate. (Sniff a sample and tell me you don't see them!)

I think Encre Noire is a good suggestion, too.

There's also a blog article on this subject: http://anotherperfumeblog.com/2011/0...n-draper-wear/

He is a Bois du Portugal type.

If it doesn't have to be period correct, this would suit him well.

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Dependent

All suggestions for fragrance made after the show is set are fantastical, not realistic. . . I would guess something considered rather classic and conservative in the early 1960s. Dana Canoe is probably the best suggestion I've heard, but maybe that's because my dad wears it. Caron PuH would fit too. Something sweet and unobtrusive -- he's an understated dude that would prefer to depend on his personality to power him through interactions, not his scent. However, he is definitely aware of trends; I could see him picking up a manly 60s scent along the way like Brut otoh. Eau Sauvage, no way. Far too youthful; by '67 he should be 43 yo or so.

I'm not like that Draper at all. I love bowling through situations with a brash scent. That's because I'm an artist, not an executive. Also I am nowhere near as good looking as Jon Hamm. I don't mind that though.

YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT Concentree

Xerjoff Kobe.

Chanel Pour Monsieur

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Un Parfum de Sens et Bois. It's got that slim-tie/skinny-belt elegance, and somehow the cedar/ozone/elemi combination, through a synesthetic filter, translates to that amazing 50s Mad Men color palate. (Sniff a sample and tell me you don't see them!)

I think Encre Noire is a good suggestion, too.

There's also a blog article on this subject: http://anotherperfumeblog.com/2011/0...n-draper-wear/
    Thanks for the link Brian ! But personaly I don t see Draper wearing Eau Sauvage Extreme... :-)

Banned

back then, had to be Canoe by Dana ... fast forward to today, Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni ...

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    He is a Bois du Portugal type.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Aramis