Code of Conduct

Default JACQUES FATH POUR L'HOMME (new versus old)

Has any tried the L'Homme in the new bottle ? Is the scent still heady and sweet????

Last edited by scentimus; 14th November 2009 at 03:13 AM.

Default Re: JACQUES FATH POUR L'HOMME (new versus old)

Any thoughts?

I´ve just received a decant of (I guess) the new version. Heady and sweet? Yup. But is it different from the old version? Are the topnotes different? I´ve seen pyramids mentioning mint and then there are others that include cedar needles or pine...

Thanks in advance!

Nobody?

Blog Entries

BUMP! Because I've come across sellers with two different boxes! Any B'Noters know their Jacques Fath scents?

Thanks!!!!
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Geranium by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Have only the original and my bottle does not look like the one in the picture. Great stuff by the way.

I have tried a few samples of this.. I can't quite say when the samples were from, but when I looked at the back of the sample card it said 2005. With that said.. I recall a primarily lavender and vanilla fragrance with a little mint.. I know.. sounds like Le Male.. and I think they are quite similar. Le Male though is more synthetic. l'Homme was excellent, lasted a good long while, projected nicely. And, yes.. very sweet.

Green Water (which I own) is another excellent one by this house. Longevity is pretty bad though.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Green Water (which I own) is another excellent one by this house.
    Agree.

I have the bottle (and box) as shown - I didn't pursue Vintage because no ingredients in the original, to my knowledge, were banned by IFRA. I heard about this scent before and thanks to my friend, Slayerized, I blind-bought a 75ml bottle at a very good price, NIB.

It is a very good composition - warm amber, rich spices and a very nice note of ambergris along with an interesting composition. I tried to find vanilla and it is simply not there for me. This is an amber-based scent, differentiating it from a lot of Le Male-esque scents. Actually, the association never even entered my mind until I read a post above. This is entirely different. Great depth of notes, but not heavy. Very good longevity due to the amber.

There are notes in this that evoke a nice lightness - mint, the lavender, violet and other florals all shine...and the bergamot really showed well for at least 20 minutes on top. I didn't get the raspberry loudly last night (which is a listed note on another site). And, the olibanum showed in the early dry down (a wisp of incense) the wafted up into the end of the heart. Ethereal in vibe - not a heavy incense. The amber and ambergris really work well together here. Amber warming the base and the ambergris allowing a radiance of notes. Some wood is present - but not heavy. A full blend here with various notes peaking through. While it is very well-integrated, note separation is possible and discerning them takes a bit of patience and spraying from a bit of distance. Personally, I like to wear a few shots close-in and mist a few shots over the top and on my clothes. I find this true with a lot of Orientals that have depth, richness combined with lighter notes that need air to breathe. A really nice aura scent that radiates for hours.

Quality-to-price ratio - Excellent.

Cheers.

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 30th October 2013 at 04:23 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen
    Currently wearing: Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

Nothing much to add to what ericrico just splendidly wrote down.
    He indeed bought it on behalf of my recommendation as I blind bought it being bargained for €14,95 which was a steal as it is indeed a gem for winter and colder fall days!
    This new version is excellent! (about the old bottle I don't know anything about, but I guess juice hardly changed if not at all.........)
    My Top '11' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten
    - Amouage: Interlude

Hello all,
    I own both versions (new and vintage) and doing a side-by-side sniff test, the vintage is only slightly richer than the newest formulation. I'd say there is less "powder" and more amber. I easily get 10-12 hours from the vintage with 4 mindfully-placed sprays. Is the vintage worth seeking out? Well, for the purist, "yes." Is it absolutely necessary (I.e. Vintage Bel Ami vs new), absolutely not.
    Rating: vintage 8+/10, new 7+/10 only because of slight lack of depth in the newest rendition.

PS-The vintage looks like it has "screws" in the corners of the label.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Hello all,
    I own both versions (new and vintage) and doing a side-by-side sniff test, the vintage is only slightly richer than the newest formulation. I'd say there is less "powder" and more amber. I easily get 10-12 hours from the vintage with 4 mindfully-placed sprays. Is the vintage worth seeking out? Well, for the purist, "yes." Is it absolutely necessary (I.e. Vintage Bel Ami vs new), absolutely not.
    Rating: vintage 8+/10, new 7+/10 only because of slight lack of depth in the newest rendition
    PS-The vintage looks like it has "screws" in the corners of the label.
    Thanks!
    [
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Geranium by Creed

I´ve got the new one. It´s furniture polish in a perfume bottle. But...yes, there is a "But", after the drydown smells like the old version.
    I´m so happy. This juice is just amazing.
    Last edited by informer_at; 2nd August 2017 at 04:06 AM.

It's melted plastic doll hair in a perfume bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by informer_at View Post
    I´ve got the new one. It´s furniture polish in a perfume bottle.
    Can you compare it to Le Male or the latest formulation of CpUH?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Can you compare it to Le Male or the latest formulation of CpUH?
    Nothing common with LeMale. LeMale smells cheap and generic compared to JFpH. Actually, JFpH has the stuff for a niche perfume. I should delete my "furniture polish" thing, after drydown smells like the old version. Thank God.
    It´s early in the morning now here in Germany, my CPU didn´t reach the normal speed, I can´t figure out what CpUH means. Need help.
    Last edited by informer_at; 2nd August 2017 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by informer_at View Post
    It´s early in the morning now here in Germany, my CPU didn´t reach the normal speed, I can´t figure out what CpUH means. Need help.
    CPUH = Caron Pour Un Homme

Bigsly, they're worlds apart... CPUH is all about vanilla. lavender and white musk. Fath Pour L'Homme is centered around amber and uses lavender and baking spices as compliments. The lavender in Fath Pour L'Homme is but a wisp when compared to CPUH. The only similarity in my eyes is that both fragrances contain lavender and both fragrances (in vintage form) are quite rich.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    CPUH = Caron Pour Un Homme

Bigsly, they're worlds apart... CPUH is all about vanilla. lavender and white musk. Fath Pour L'Homme is centered around amber and uses lavender and baking spices as compliments. The lavender in Fath Pour L'Homme is but a wisp when compared to CPUH. The only similarity in my eyes is that both fragrances contain lavender and both fragrances (in vintage form) are quite rich.
    I'm curious about FPH because I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a few other scents that are quite similar.

I'm curious about FPH because I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a few other scents that are quite similar.
    FPH is like Day & Night with CpUH. In fact I don´t really know a scent that would be similar with FPH.

...this is what I read somewhere in a review:
    Though it's sweet, Jacques Fath Pour L'Homme is a very masculine scent. There's something about it, which I can't put my finger on, that gives it a kind of aristocratic, leathery aura, similar to what you get in Dunhill For Men or Woods of Windsor Gentlemen, though less woody. It smells like a less spicy, more conservative, and much more elegant version of Obsession For Men.
    Currently wearing: Monsieur Rochas by Rochas

Default JACQUES FATH POUR L'HOMME (new versus old)

I own vintage. I'm sure it's possible for something to exist that smells similar. However when I first sprayed it, and ever since, none of the alternate scents named in this thread have came to mind.

Perhaps the newer version is more similar to something else than the vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just blind bought the new version for $25 shipped off eBay. The prices, even for the new version, went up ridiculously for a while, but there are several sellers offering the large bottles of the new one for under $35 dollars now. Have been wanting to try this one for a while and I'm looking forward to it.
    Currently wearing: Lalique White by Lalique