Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Dr. Vranjes: Information and Opinions?

I recently had my first opportunity to smell (and purchase) some fragrances from a house called Dr. Vranjes, of Venice. It is a name I had seen a few times before, but as I had no idea were to find the products and had no recollection of opinions about it, I gave it little thought.

Having smelled some of the scents at a local store of some repute, Gump's, here in San Francisco, I found myself looking for information about them. I learned from their website that they make some room scents and a couple of lines of personal scent of about six offerings each, and that the house was established in Venice in 1983. There were few other details.

I have come to feel that these scents, while simple, seem to be made of good quality materials; they also impress me as being well-constructed and well-balanced.

I would like to know more, and so I am asking any Basenoters who read this post to contribute to this thread with further information and opinions. I would like to go back to the store where I found them and sniff the rest of the ones in stock there, but I felt that three in one visit (Ambra e Iris, Bergamotto e Mirto, and Zagara e Patchouli) were all I could honestly handle with due care and attention.

Thanks in advance to all of you who care to respond to this thread.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dr. Vranjes: Information and Opinions?

I also sniffed these at Gumps.

Dr. Vranjes is mostly know for home fragrance, the epitome of his work being his Rosso Nobile home fragrance, based on pomegranate and red wine, which I would buy as a perfume in a heartbeat, were it available.

I was intrigued by his new line of perfume extraits. Thankfully, Gumps has samples of these available if you ask. I gave full wearings to three of them, Bergamotto Mirto, Gigember Estragon, and Vetiver Poivre. Aside from a house note of mint that's shared by all three, whether appropriate or not (the bergamot/mint combo was especially interesting, if ill-advised), they all had bases which I didn't care for.

Sometimes, it feels like home-scent or candle companies (functional perfumers, as it were), which are used to making scents focussed entirely on the topnotes, expose their weakness as artistic perfumers through their weak bases (another line available at Gumps, Zents, falls trap to this same problem occasionally)

That being said, I'm simply not a fan of some Italian perfume standards (powdery ambers, toothachingly-sweet orange vanillas), so much of what I've said here may be due to my own prejudices, so take it with a grain of salt...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Default Re: Dr. Vranjes: Information and Opinions?

I tried these at Bergdorf Goodman and I ended up buying Vetiver Poivre. I loved it on the test strip with its peppery, eucalyptus, and hint of vetiver. Unfortunately on my skin this quickly dries down to a bse of ambergris that smells too feminine. Also not enough vetiver in it for me. I'll end up putting this up for sale.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!