Code of Conduct

Thread: Oakmoss Drydown

Default Oakmoss Drydown

Hi !
    Im looking for a Fragance with base or drydown
    very Oakmoss ( green leather creamy )

Chypres ans Fougeres has oakmoss base
    maybe Mitsouko and Hermes Eau d Orange Verte !!

Last edited by 1234567890; 14th November 2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Default Re: Oakmoss Drydown

Mitsouko is a good choice, as is Chanel Pour Monsieur.

Vintage Mitouko is the one you should try, itīs gorgeous! New Mitsouko is still excellent, especially EdT.

Others with a strong oak/treemoss base are:

XPEC Original
    Numero Uno, Carthusia
    Sous le vent, Guerlain
    Derby, Guerlain
    Pour Monsieur, Chanel
    Profumo (vintage), Acqua di Parma

Czech & Speake's Oxford and Cambridge has a ton of very very natural smelling oakmoss in the drydown. Actual oakmoss absolute is listed as an ingredient on the back. The drydown smells just like the oakmoss absolute I own. It's a simple but wonderful scent; lavender and peppermint over oakmoss.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Guerlalin Sous le Vent
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit
    Chanel No.19
    Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger
    Estee Lauder Azuree
    Balmain Jolie Madame

Dont both the Chanel PM's have it?

Derby by Guerlain

If you can find it, get Eau de Monsieur by Annick Goutal. I love oakmoss drydowns, but Eau de Monsieur has the best!

P.S. Am I the only person in Basenotes that loves this scent? It gets NO attention whatsover here.

Eau de Monsieur by Annick Goutal looks nice but is very difucult to find !
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Quote Originally Posted by 1234567890 View Post
    Eau de Monsieur by Annick Goutal looks nice but is very difucult to find !
    You're right. It's been discontinued. However, I have seen it on eBay and some online retailers still have it listed.

I've had to find a "replacement" for it, and I've found it in Gianfrance Ferre Man (1986), which is still easily available, is inexpensive, and has a BEAUTIFUL oakmoss drydown. Like Eau de Monsieur, for me GF Man is all about the oakmoss. Definitely check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Estee Lauder Azuree
    Oh, how could I forget Bernard Chantīs wonderful chypres!

Azurée & Aramis - leather chypre
    Devin - green chypre
    JHL - oriental chypre

pure chypre (aka oakmoss/labdanum) heaven!!

Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    JHL - oriental chypre

pure chypre (aka oakmoss/labdanum) heaven!!

I've been dying to try JHL. Is the oakmoss very strong and green in it? I've read that it's a very spicy, cinnamon-y scent. This combination sounds very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I've been dying to try JHL. Is the oakmoss very strong and green in it?
    Like in other oriental chypres, for ex. Vol de Nuir or Dioressence, you can smell the oakmoss very clearly in itīs spicy and woody context, but if you want to smell itīs green facets I would rather reach for a genuine green chypre like Devin, Insensé or Balmain de Balmain.

Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    Numero Uno, Carthusia
    Hmm, now I start to have an idea of how oakmoss smells. I just tried Numero Uno today and found it similar to Mitsouko EdT. Are there any similarities between the two other than the oakmoss?

L'Aromarine - Mousse de Chęne Perfume Extract
    This one is all oak moss and quite essential to any OM lover. Will probably be illegal after the IFRA regulations are in place.
    $9.50 for a 8.5ml bottle at BeautyHabit.com
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th November 2009 at 04:53 PM.

Holy mother . . . . thank you Ruggles I'll just be ALL OVER that one.

That L'Aromarine looks great! That with some bottles of patchouli oil, rose oil and amber, and an eyedropper, and you can make some real magic.

Oakmoss (green leather creamy)?

Are you sure that you describe oakmoss effect? I`m holding Oakmoss absolute in my hand and sniffing the bottle - nothing green here!
    It`s brown, leathery, smoky, dry scent - with some pungent effect reminds me of medicine (iodine?), tobacco, castoreum, sweat, etc.

Maybe one found useful to try a natural oakmoss absolute and dilute it in alcohol?

I believe, that greenness is added to oakmoss (by vetiver+galbanum in Jean Louis Scherrer, styrallil acetate in Cabochard, jasmine+vetiver in Givenchy III etc - try those green chypres from the past)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Last edited by 1234567890; 11th June 2011 at 02:17 PM.

I'll add Divine L'Homme Sage, but I've heard much of the oakmossyness has been removed recently. I can't confirm that, though.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Czech & Speake's Oxford and Cambridge has a ton of very very natural smelling oakmoss in the drydown. Actual oakmoss absolute is listed as an ingredient on the back. The drydown smells just like the oakmoss absolute I own. It's a simple but wonderful scent; lavender and peppermint over oakmoss.
    Absolutely, and even though I don't love lavender fragrances, it's one of the richest, most tenacious pure oakmoss drydowns I've smelled in a fragrance. It's enduring and striking. Czech & Speake tends to use massive quantities of oakmoss in most all of their fragrances.

_________

Ted Lapidus pour Homme (1979) - a leather chypre nonpareil (almost completely extinct now) that has nothing to do with the other TL releases, has an extended drydown of rich, pure oakmoss that endures for 7-8 hours. The birch tar/isoquinolines basically just serve to add smoke to the oakmoss, and the overall effect of the fragrance is ultimately just smoky oakmoss. It's sublime, and I've never smelled anything like it. It's also one of the best overall fragrances I've ever worn. It's sort of a more masculine Derby without any sharpness nor any of the unnecessary Guerlainities, the burning leaves smoke vaguely reminiscent of Leonard pour Homme, but smoother, and so beautiful it could knock you down. If ever a fragrance was handsome, TLPH is it.

Asha's suggestion of Cuir d'Oranger is excellent, though the oakmoss isn't as pure as the other two I mentioned. Her other suggestions are also excellent.

You can smell oakmoss is many fragrances. The first thing to do is to buy some oakmoss and smell it. It's a very memorable smell, and if you use it in the right way it will bring you money.

All the talk of oakmoss being completely restricted is a little ridiculous, whether it's the IFRA or whatever. A lot of it is political maneuvering (like the health care bullshit), people rearranging things in order to make money down the line. Oakmoss will be around for a long time, and just because it isn't listed on the box, that doesn't mean that it it isn't in the fragrance. Perfumery is becoming far more complex, and there will be good perfumes and bad ones. It always has been and it always will be. And there are so many new aromachemicals being discovered, it could render all of this meaningless.
    Last edited by pluran; 16th November 2009 at 03:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Penhaligon's Quercus - gets little mention here. I found it a mellow oaky drydown. (Hence the name).

Also, Parfumerie Generale - Querelle has a tangy approach using cardamon that is quite good for a modern chypre.