Code of Conduct

Default A*Men Pure Coffee and Pure Malt

I own two Mugler colognes: BMen and IceMen. I love both of them (esp. BMen), and I'm thinking about a blind buy of Pure Coffee and/or Pure Malt. Just curious on your thoughts on these two, because although I love BMen, I generally don't like "gourmand" scents and I didn't like AMen. The gourmand/cherry pie feel of BMen is subtle enough to my nose that I can still really enjoy it.

I don't have easy access to a store that has a tester of these two, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on these before I decide if I want to blind buy one of them (at least 50% of my purchases are blind buys, so I know the risks). Thanks.

Default Re: A*Men Pure Coffee and Pure Malt

I have a sample of pure malt on the way, I too love b*men but not so much a*men and
    am looking to buy pure coffee and malt if they are too my satisfaction.

I'll let you know what I think of pure malt
    Last edited by Duke Freedom; 14th November 2009 at 03:13 PM.

Blog Entries

A*Men Pure Coffee is *the* best Mugler fragrance (strictly in my opinion).
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

I own Pure Malt and Red sent me a sample of Pure Coffee. I LOVE Pure Malt. It's hard to explain but it's deep, woody and sweet. It also seems to have a bit of spice although I can't tell as I've never smelled anything like it before. It may be the "peaty" note that's mentioned on the side of the box that comes from the aging. I mainly get vanilla and caramel with a touch of chocolate. I bought it blind and liked it so much I got a backup bottle.. which I've never done. Pure Coffee is quite good but I think I like the Malt version slightly more. For Coffee I get a prominent coffee note with a bit of vanilla and what smells like toffee. Our own member l"homme did a review on Pure Malt:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzOO2YSlNt0"]YouTube- Subscriber's Choice : Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler Cologne Fragrance Review (2009)[/ame]
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 14th November 2009 at 03:43 PM.

I thought Pure Coffee was no longer in production/available at retail outlets. Does anyone know where I can find this, preferably in Canada otherwise through an online retailer?

i really enjoy icemen...patchouli comes out in this one...

I hate amen

I owned pure coffee and liked it, but the problem to me was, i could just spend 20 minutes in any coffe shop and get the same effect....if you like coffe and cream, get pure coffee

Have not tried pure malt
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

All of them are amazing. Original A*Men is the most developing one, B*Men smells most unique. A*Men Pure Coffee is one of the smoothest scents on earth. Pure Malt has a unique boozy doughy vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    I thought Pure Coffee was no longer in production/available at retail outlets. Does anyone know where I can find this, preferably in Canada otherwise through an online retailer?
    Yeah it isn't. Pure Coffee and Pure Malt are both limited editions. The only place I know of is eBay

My biggest concern is that I don't want to smell like a cup of coffee or a box of Whoppers.

With BMen, yes there's a slight rhubarb or cherry pie note, but I don't feel like I smell like a walking dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    My biggest concern is that I don't want to smell like a cup of coffee or a box of Whoppers.
    Haha the Malt in Pure Malt is in reference to whiskey since it was aged in oak whiskey barrels

Splurge and get both of them. You won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Splurge and get both of them. You won't be disappointed.
    I hate to be the one to spoil the Thierry Mugler party, but for me Thierry Mugler has become an an extremely boring and predictable house that I have become increasingly irritated with.

There are notes in A*Men, Pure Coffee and Pure Malt that I find very disagreeable. It is difficult for me to place a finger on these notes, nor do I care to. These notes are simply headache inducing and quite irritating to me. I am really starting to hate this house.

For me, the most beautiful coffee dominated scent that I have yet to encounter is Ava Luxe Cafe Noir, a much higher quality composition in my opinion.

Sorry guys.

TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 14th November 2009 at 07:49 PM.

Although I don't wear any of the Mugler scents (used to own B*Men), I agree that Pure Malt is a very enjoyable and much more wearable scent than A*Men. I'd recomment PM to a Mugler fan.
    I tried Pure Coffee but I felt it's just too literal. Pure Malt doesn't smell like liquor necessarily but it's a sweet, boozy-type, deep scent.
    RM

I didn't like Pure Coffee at all. If I want a coffee frag, I usually reach for Jacomo Silver for men. Others come across too harsh or have an unnatural quality.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    I hate to be the one to spoil the Thierry Mugler party, but for me Thierry Mugler has become an an extremely boring and predictable house that I have become increasingly irritated with.

There are notes in A*Men, Pure Coffee and Pure Malt that I find very disagreeable. It is difficult for me to place a finger on these notes, nor do I care to. These notes are simply headache inducing and quite irritating to me. I am really starting to hate this house.

For me, the most beautiful coffee dominated scent that I have yet to encounter is Ava Luxe Cafe Noir, a much higher quality composition in my opinion.

Sorry guys.

TJ
    I actually agree with this, I think TM should release a fougere or chypre to round out the houses' men's offerings. If he makes another A*Men variation or similar I don't think I'd care.

Blog Entries

To disagree slightly with others here, Pure Coffee has enough other stuff going on that it never really smells simply like you've spilled coffee on yourself. Yes, the coffee is there in the top, but it fades quickly and you mostly get patchouli and lavender, sort of like A*Men but without the chocolate.

If you love A*Men, and you like the smell of fresh-ground coffee beans, you'll probably like Pure Coffee. It's not that much of a stretch.

I haven't had a chance to get to know Pure Malt yet, but it smells intriguing in the stores...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

BINGO

I haven't gotten to smell Pure Coffee yet, but I do own Pure Malt along with A*Men and B*Men. Out of those three PM takes the cake any day. While the three have a gourmand vibe, the PM has a very addictive opening that I can't get enough of. Try it in cooler weather with a slight breeze and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Just to put PM into perspective, it blew off every shelf locally with in a matter of days. That's how fast it sold out. I'm not one to give a crap about what the masses like, but when I first tried PM from a tester, I was instantly sold and knew I had to have it.

The dry down isn't my favorite part of PM as it's opening sweet caramel note disappears on me after 2 hours leaving me with a dry down similar to A*Men. Nothing about it smells like anything burnt like B*Men does, and I don't get whiskey at all in the entire process.

For PM, I would just say, imagine a very thick luscious chocolate/caramel with a hint of coffee. Creamy sweetness for hours and you only need one of two sprays. The juice feels and smells highly concentrated.

Just my two...

They're both great, but I prefer Pure Malt. I get better longevity with Pure Malt as well. I don't think you'd be disappointed in a blind-buy of either of them, however.

Sur la Plage

IMO they are both excellent fragrances and worth owning.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    For a while it was available at the Thierry Mugler online store, here. Unfortunately, it's sold out at the moment. Not sure if it will go back on sale.

I disliked Pure Coffee for the first 4 or 5 tries in the store. It was either too literal, too Angel, too gourmand, and a couple of other things. But when I finally "got it", I went back the next week and it was gone. Thankfully, I was able to order online.

I really enjoy it now, but I do want to try some more of the Pure Malt, as well as these other scents people are mentioning (Cafe Noir just sounds good!)