Code of Conduct

Default It surprises me that the Male Discussion forum outnumbers the Female forum...

in number of posts, posters etc Not that it's a bad thing, it just surprises me that there are more male perfumistas/os? here than women. Maybe it's a regional thing, but more women around here (MN) wear and and swoon over perfume more than the men.

Just an observation

Default Re: It surprises me that the Male Discussion forum outnumbers the Female forum...

I could be wrong, but I think BN was originally just men, the women joining in later. I think that I actually know more men who are into fragrance than women. I have read a board that had 99% women posting, and the threads are quite different, as they are here. The women are more conversational and tend to chat about our lives in relation to perfume, whereas I find the guys are quite analytical and technical. I think its great, it is a different way to look at scent.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Default Re: It surprises me that the Male Discussion forum outnumbers the Female forum...

Less talking, more smelling.

:P

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think BN was originally just men, the women joining in later. I think that I actually know more men who are into fragrance than women. I have read a board that had 99% women posting, and the threads are quite different, as they are here. The women are more conversational and tend to chat about our lives in relation to perfume, whereas I find the guys are quite analytical and technical. I think its great, it is a different way to look at scent.
    ^chatty

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Less talking, more smelling.

:P
    ^sniffy

LOL
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

>snerk<

Man like Smell Good. Man buy good smell stuff. Man join BaseNotes! Ugggg..

/caveman
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    >snerk<

Man like Smell Good. Man buy good smell stuff. Man join BaseNotes! Ugggg..

/caveman
    *LOL*

Yes, Basenotes was started for the 'boys' to have their perfume shout out. The ladies' forum was added later I believe. The male side is very interesting , I venture there sometimes .......
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I occasionally venture over to the "dark" side too!!
    Definitely more right-sided brain activity over there.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    ....BN was originally just men, the women joining in later.....
    Grant started it up because at the time there was no forum exclusively for discussion of male fragrances. Tigrushka could fill us in. And I think that - historically - men began perfuming themselves before we did.

But who cares?!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 15th November 2009 at 12:05 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

I think men do approach fragrance differently from us women and they are very enthusiatic about starting new threads all the time....plus they discuss and talk it seems, 24/7, on the male side.

Their SoTD threads are not so chatty as ours either, I feel. They go straight to the point with what they are wearing for that day .

I think, generally speaking, the discussion on the ladies' board is more thoughtful. I don't spend that much time here, but I like the threads that I read and the quality of interaction. It is more conversational here, and I like that.

It is true that basenotes was originally about men's fragrances only.

Hopefully the proportion of women will continue to grow here. And hopefully the girls let us guys stick around when they take over!

Don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful that there are so many men interested one of the best things the world has offered us...delicious perfume! I'll have to pop over to the boys side to check out how things work over there. Very interesting to hear how the convos differ. Thanks for your input, and I never knew that Basenotes was geared towards men in it's budding years.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Ladies,

I present to you the continuous open invitation to join the Metroscentuals in the Male Fragrance Discussion Forum.

I thank you for your kind attention.

I remain, as always, your fragrantly humble servant,

kbe
    Last edited by kbe; 15th November 2009 at 01:47 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

aw shucks kbe thanks!

btw...check this one out [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2I5refJec"]YouTube- TORI AMOS live SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW[/nomedia] I heart her

"Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I tend to avoid the chattiness and just post on threads that are more fragrance specific here. Not sure that it's a male/female thing, more of a personal preference. If I have a different subject to talk about, I post it in the 'other' section...

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I tend to avoid the chattiness and just post on threads that are more fragrance specific here. Not sure that it's a male/female thing, more of a personal preference. If I have a different subject to talk about, I post it in the 'other' section...
    Personally, I was not implying that the tendency towards "chattiness" on the women's board veers off the fragrance topics. Actually I find it is the opposite. From what I have observed, we tend to associate more things to fragrance, ie feelings, memories, important people in our lives, turning points etc. Not surprising considering smell is the strongest memory trigger we have. Using fragrance as a common jumping off point so to speak. It's kind of neat to watch a thread take on a new life as something associated with the original topic meanders down a different, albeit fragrant, path.

Hoping that doesn't sound like a sexist generalization
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

I wasn't talking about what you said 3xasif, I was referring to the SotD thread. Until the past year or so, it was a place where there was more of an informative discussion about fragrance based on what we were wearing (like on the men's board) rather than personal situations. I learned a lot back then, I don't get much of anything out of it anymore. What you are referring to is different and just adds depth to a conversation, imo.
    Last edited by beachroses; 15th November 2009 at 08:46 PM.

I'll give an example so you know what I'm talking about... women used to post on the SotD thread and explain the fragrance they were wearing, what notes are in it, why they chose it, where we might get it etc. It was a casual, yet informative discussion. Some still try to do that, in case anyone is interested, but many are just there to talk about personal things now and throw in the scent name or picture as an afterthought.

This used to be a men's fragrance board and the women's side was also more animated and detailed in regard to fragrances, which is why I liked it here.
    Last edited by beachroses; 15th November 2009 at 09:25 PM.

thanks for your input both of you, I agree with you both how women just have a different way of dancing through and around the subject of perfume, and not to say that there aren't men who don't.

Basenotes Institution

I think both male and female forums have much to offer in their own ways . Thanks for the invite kbe !
    I like both sides .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 16th November 2009 at 04:06 AM.

ditto Mystic

I often stop to describe why I'm recommending a scent to someone who asks, but not always. I vow to be more conscientious.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Wow!! 2006!! That must be one of the first threads I started on Basenotes!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

When I joined Basenotes I believe it was Men only.....And for a few years I went to the library and posted all of my Basenotes Info.....Gary

Diversity is always a good thing!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Blog Entries

OK, history tells us why BN had more men than women in the past. How about now? Is there something that draws men to BN instead of any other board? so all the fragrance loving men are here & the women interested in fragrance are sort of evenly distributed over many boards?

Personally I like most all the discussions - men's, women's, DIY, Notes, shopping, home, bottle collecting, off topic, ... And I really like the international distribution of BNers.

Basenotes was the first perfume forum I ever posted on and that was back in 1999 and as far as I know, it was the very first of its kind. It was all male then but there were some women who joined in. Later, , LLP MUA , PA and POL sprang up in that order and they seemed to attract more females and siphoned off some of the early women from Basenotes until the Women got their separate section.

Blog Entries

I'm glad there is a Bnotes! That is why I'm here, for guys, you don't gather with other guys and discuss colognes, shower gels or after shaves like women get together and trade perfume, makeup and similar product info.

I do a lot of blind buys but I first read about the scent here and read the reviews.
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

I think women buy more than men.
    But men always is the most part of internet forums

oudioustoilet, that is why BN is here. To give a voice to the men that love to sniff fragrances! And the women are along for the ride - and as usual, are excellent back seat drivers

I love basenotes for the mixity. When a gentle (or brutal) man comes in and give his direct point of view, when a lady (or girl) unveils her personnality. Beautiful.
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    OK, history tells us why BN had more men than women in the past. How about now? Is there something that draws men to BN instead of any other board?
    I used to post some reviews on Fragrantica.com a few years back, and I remember someone commenting that they were glad to see some "reviews of men's scents," I guess because overall, there was a dearth of reviews of men's scents online. Another reason might have been because the population there was predominantly female at the time. (It might be different now. I haven't gone back there lately. Some Basenotes members might remember why.) Anyway, y'know "Birds of a feather stick together," and all that. If you're male, and looking for reviews of male scents, you're gonna gravitate towards a place where more people are posting reviews of "male scents,"* I suppose. (*by "male scents" I am referring to those scents that companies are marketing towards men)

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda_Rosa View Post
    Basenotes was the first perfume forum I ever posted on and that was back in 1999 and as far as I know, it was the very first of its kind. It was all male then but there were some women who joined in. Later, , LLP MUA , PA and POL sprang up in that order and they seemed to attract more females and siphoned off some of the early women from Basenotes until the Women got their separate section.
    I too discovered Basenotes first. It was when I was looking for a discontinued scent, and Basenotes was the *only* helpful website that seemed to show up on Google. When I revisited Basenotes.com 2 years later, someone mentioned MakeUpAlley.com to me. So I did check it out, but the forum there had a terrible format. 'Difficult to find anything, difficult to search. Maybe it's changed too. I dunno. I haven't been back there to check lately either! I can't explain why more females haven't gravitated to Basenotes for that reason alone.

I keep coming back here because the discussion is stimulating. Fragrances/food/art/etc. Plus, most people on this forum are very literate, and their typing style is easy on the eyes, especially to someone whose skin curls when *e sees obvious grammatical or spelling errors.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe