Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1

    Exclamation The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    I noticed that there are few threads on this topic and those threads don't contain much information before Chanel Eau de Cologne is expensive and hard to find. I thought I would try to make as coherent and informative thread as possible. Here are my thoughts:

    I recently tried a decant of Chanel Eau de Cologne from another member and was pleasantly surprised. I was convinced and bought a 400ml bottle. At first I was reluctant of Luca Turin's analysis of it being the best cologne ever, but now I agree...it is the best modern cologne. Is it better than Extra Vieille? Who knows, but it is different. The opening is a brisk, vibrant citrus followed by an animalic (Firmenich's Muscone LT says) musk that verges on laundry detergent. This one lasts overnight on me and most frags don't last long on my skin either. To me, Chanel Cologne is possibly reminiscent of earlier animalic styles that were popular in France and Britain before the coming of Jean Marie Farina. It is great and everyone should at least try it.

    Those who get no musk from this must be immune to it because I get a very heavy musk base similar to Eau de Guerlain but more floral.

    If you have money to burn for the holidays, Chanel Eau de Cologne is available from Chanel.com as 200ml for $200 or 400ml for $300. It ships free and is tax free if you don't live in NY, TX, or TN.

    Please add any other information you may have.

  2. #2

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    It isn't tax free in CA either--we have several boutiques here

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    It isn't tax free in CA either--we have several boutiques here
    They didn't charge me tax. Maybe it's a special?

    But it says on chanel.com:

    How are taxes applied?
    Chanel.com is required by law to charge sales tax on orders being shipped to the states of Kentucky, New York, Tennessee and Texas. If you have any questions regarding our sales tax policies...
    Last edited by bokaba; 15th November 2009 at 03:03 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Huh, I wonder how that happened? Obviously if you could have made it to a boutique, tax would apply. Interesting! I wonder if I can save sales tax by ordering online rather than driving up to Beverly Hills....
    Last edited by Asha; 15th November 2009 at 03:09 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    I didn't know any of the Les Exclusifs came in 400ml bottles! Interesting stuff.. perhaps just Eau de Cologne?

  6. #6

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I didn't know any of the Les Exclusifs came in 400ml bottles! Interesting stuff.. perhaps just Eau de Cologne?
    Yeah, wow! I'd love to see/hold one of those monsters. The 200ml are pretty big in their own right. It's like the Burr (I think it was him? Or Ellena?) assertion that luxury lines use either price or just amount to add value and exclusivity to their products. Even the 200ml bottles were doing that - now the 400ml bottle are even more so.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

  7. #7

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Thanks for the description. Anything verging even only slightly on laundry detergent is a nono for me and I'm pretty sure I would like this a lot less than my usual go-to EdCs which happily cost a fraction of Chanel's. Glad you're enjoying it, though.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Hey Tom, when I get the bottle I will try to put together a little vial for you if you are interested so you can post a review. Just PM me your address. The musk does verge on detergent, but not too badly. It is similar to Pens Castile really.

  9. #9

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Anyone else?

  10. #10

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    I love my little sample of Chanel's EdC. I want to own another of the Exclusifs, but I'm not sure which one yet. The EdC is very good though.

    I think this is the only one that comes in a 400ml bottle. I would be interested in seeing pictures of it when it arrives. I'm interested in whether it is really a spray, as it says on the website, or if it's a splash bottle.

  11. #11

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    I thought I might revive this thread in case anyone has any new thoughts.

    I am very interested in trying Chanel's eau de cologne, and hope to do so in a few days' time. At the moment, I lean on the Guerlain eaux; but my bottle of Eau de Cologne Imperiale has just run dry, and my bottle of Eau du Coq (my favourite to date) is on its last legs. Would Chanel's be a good replacement? I am intrigued by the idea that it contains a good synthetic musk. For I love slightly animalic eaux. I hope that it is a perfectly safe musk; for I am wont (fleeting as their scent is) to apply eaux very liberally, and to condition my hair and scalp with them.

  12. #12
    Guerlainista
    rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Merely, I love the Guerlain eaux, and am partial to the brand, but the Chanel one is fantastic. I don't know what it is, maybe the neroli, but I find this eau beautiful, where most are just refreshing.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  13. #13
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    78,104

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    The Chanel is wonderful. I highly recommend it.

  14. #14

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Merely:

    the musk in the Chanel is rich and smooth but clean, do not expect vintage Eau d'Hermes. What I like in the Chanel is that it adds zing to the recipe via some green note. It is a perfect substitute for any eau de cologne.

    cacio

  15. #15
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    I am very interested in trying Chanel's eau de cologne, and hope to do so in a few days' time. At the moment, I lean on the Guerlain eaux; but my bottle of Eau de Cologne Imperiale has just run dry, and my bottle of Eau du Coq (my favourite to date) is on its last legs. Would Chanel's be a good replacement? I am intrigued by the idea that it contains a good synthetic musk. For I love slightly animalic eaux. I hope that it is a perfectly safe musk; for I am wont (fleeting as their scent is) to apply eaux very liberally, and to condition my hair and scalp with them.
    I haven't tried the Chanel, but I really like my Eau de Guerlain -- I assume you've tried it? AZ (OP) mentioned that the Chanel has a more floral feel and a soapier musk which doesn't sound up my alley. EdG's musk is definitely of the "your skin but better" variety. Terrific.

  16. #16

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Just wanted to add that as a big fan and user of the Guerlain Eau's I can also recommend Chanel Eau De Cologne, I have the big bottle. It has a very high quality neroli up top and musk in the base. Also after having worn this extensively this summer I am convinced that there is real ambergris in there too. I have a tincture of real ambergris and so recognise the scent quite clearly.

  17. #17

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    When i tried this edc the longevity was veryvery bad, but it was just one spray at a paper.
    This is really short lived,with just 1 hour longevity?
    I quite liked the smell of it

  18. #18

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Excellent neroli; something green; a debonair musk; even a touch of ambergris? It sounds like it has relatively few ingredients, but that they are excellent, and blended subtly. At more than twice the cost of the Guerlain eaux, I would have be impressed to buy it; but if it proves more enjoyable than the eaux I already know, I will be liberal, since good a good eau is an everyday grooming aid rather than an occasional fragrance.

    Monkeybars: no, I have not tried Eau de Guerlain. Thank you for the suggestion. Oddly, it is not available locally. Although I have read that it is widely and perhaps justly admired, it sounds like may have a bit too much longevity for me. I only want something ephemeral and exquisite in this vein, not anything substantial. A touch of musk is okay for a few hours, since the perfect base for anything else.

    I look forward to trying it, and will report back to this thread when I do.

  19. #19

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    I can't imagine you'd enjoy Chanel's Eau as a replacement for any Guerlain. While the latter are not entirely natural, their aesthetic is clearly traditional, while Chanel is a modern in-your-face synthetic. Villoresi's Acqua di Colonia, (all natural) would be a far better choice, it's the best "trad" EdC around and IMO even superior to the Guerlains.

    Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    I thought I might revive this thread in case anyone has any new thoughts.

    I am very interested in trying Chanel's eau de cologne, and hope to do so in a few days' time. At the moment, I lean on the Guerlain eaux; but my bottle of Eau de Cologne Imperiale has just run dry, and my bottle of Eau du Coq (my favourite to date) is on its last legs. Would Chanel's be a good replacement? I am intrigued by the idea that it contains a good synthetic musk. For I love slightly animalic eaux. I hope that it is a perfectly safe musk; for I am wont (fleeting as their scent is) to apply eaux very liberally, and to condition my hair and scalp with them.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  20. #20

    Default

    I agree with the_good_life, Villoresi's cologne is the best I have come across. I prefer my colognes on the 'heavy' side, in the Acqua di Parma vein. Chanel is what I would call a 'refined' cologne. It doesn't much resemble those classic Guerlains; Wasser's Cologne du Parfumeur is closer in style. Neither the Chanel nor Wasser's effort is 'animalic'.

  21. #21

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    There's no way Chanel's EDC is better than Eau de Guerlain.
    My Top Ten:

    1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

  22. #22

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Well! Having researched as best I can - always fun, and an exercise in game theory - I decided to take the_good_life's and Marais' advice, and investigate Acqua di Colonia. I just placed an order for a full bottle. Enticing as the the Chanel eau sounds as a composition, I suppose it can't be what I have in mind; utility is as important as beauty here, and if Acqua di Colonia really is comprised of natural oils, it would be more suitable. (Rosemary is an interesting ingredient; I believe it is an antifungal.) The only note that worries me is the sage, which I have never encountered in a fragrance before. It is strange that, despite its name, it is listed on the house's website as an eau de toilette. I hope it shall prove a true cologne, and last no more than an hour or two on the outside.

    Nevertheless, I hope to try the Chanel eau de cologne later today. Perhaps I shall be surprised.

  23. #23
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146

    Default

    Eau de Cologne is the only Exclusifs I've never sniffed.
    Well, this and Jersey ... and the mysterious 1932, which
    nobody seems to know if it really excist or not.
    I've seen a few bottles on eBay - at EXTREME prices!!!

    I didn't think much of EdC before, but, now, after reading
    this thread, I really wanna sniff it.


  24. #24

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Merely - Villoresi's Acqua di Colonia has good longevity for what it is. Certainly more than 1 or 2 hours. A great, herbal cologne.
    Duc - Chanel's 1932 does exist. It was confirmed for me at the Rue Cambon store in July. It was never released commercially, though.

  25. #25
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Duc - Chanel's 1932 does exist. It was confirmed for me at the Rue Cambon store in July. It was never released commercially, though.
    Was - as in never will?!

    I'm dying to try it out.

  26. #26

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    According to the SA, no, there are no plans to release it. Tant pis...

  27. #27

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    I much prefer the Chanel EdC to the Acqua di. But it is really a matter of what one wants. The Chanel EdC is firmly and strictly an original recipe eau de Cologne, to be used as required as a freshener, sanitizer, and for 5 minutes of spritzy fun during the day. It is not intended to be a regular perfume, it doesn't last and it shouldn't. Luca Turin compares and eau de cologne to a waltz. 3 minutes of fun, then bow and leave. It is not a symphony or an opera.

    The Acqua di are more complex compositions and can be used as a (somewhat short lived) perfume. Which is good, but then if I want a real perfume, I usually look elsewhere. The Guerlains are a little bit inbetween, because many of their eaux actually add notes from other genres to make the frag last longer.

    Incidentally, there are reports that eau de Guerlain has also been a victim of IFRA regulations, but I have not smelled the recent version.

    cacio

  28. #28

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    I tested the Chanel EdC yesterday. Unfortunately, I felt that it was not sufficiently superior to Eau de Cologne Imperiale for me to consider getting. Imperiale is softer (for all that the lime-blossom note can be a bit tenacious on cloth), and more fleeting. The Chanel eau had a hard, shimmering quality. Jewel-like. Its longevity was a bit much; the top notes went on and on, rather than being a bright but fleeting burst. I could still smell it clearly two hours later. An attractive fragrance, and one I can see delighting some, but at the moment it does not conform to my preference. I will be sure to test it a second time when I get a chance, given how misleading first impressions can be.

  29. #29
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Tant pis...
    No! I really wanna try it.
    Especially now that I know
    I never will!

  30. #30
    Guerlainista
    rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    I tested the Chanel EdC yesterday. Unfortunately, I felt that it was not sufficiently superior to Eau de Cologne Imperiale for me to consider getting. Imperiale is softer (for all that the lime-blossom note can be a bit tenacious on cloth), and more fleeting. The Chanel eau had a hard, shimmering quality. Jewel-like. Its longevity was a bit much; the top notes went on and on, rather than being a bright but fleeting burst. I could still smell it clearly two hours later. An attractive fragrance, and one I can see delighting some, but at the moment it does not conform to my preference. I will be sure to test it a second time when I get a chance, given how misleading first impressions can be.
    Thanks for reporting back, Merely. I was curious to hear what you thought of it. I agree that it is more tenacious that the classic Guerlain Eaux. Things don't last long on my skin in general, so it's not an issue for me.

    Have you tried Fleurs de Cedrat, by the way? I've been curious about this one lately.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  31. #31

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    No! I have not tried Fleurs de Cedrat; like yourself, I am curious about it. Of Guerlain's three true eaux, I suspect it may be the least popular, given how difficult testers are to source. I shall definitely try it at some point. I would be interested to read your impressions when you do so yourself.

    Eau du Coq is really the one perfect eau that I have discovered. Eau de Cologne Imperiale has an innocence to it that I find charming - it makes me think of the young Barry Lyndon. Something that a doting mother might put onto the dressing table of her son. Naive, but in the exact way that wins over the overly sophisticated. It is graceful, and unaffected. Chanel's eau seems a more grown-up version of Imperiale to me; but Imperiale is a bit more approachable, much as a real person is more approachable than a statue. I can't imagine what would have been the result, had Chanel attempted a version of the green-floral-animalic eau that is Eau du Coq.

  32. #32

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    I need to give the Chanel a fair try again next time I'm in downtown (and people are not queuing up in front of the boutique's door... ha, not me, folks!). Of the Guerlain Eaux (note, I only know the current ones) my favorite is Fleurs de Cedrat, which I own a bottle of. It is a straight-up, cheerful and bright lemon (with zest and juice). It's EdT concentration and longevity is around two hours (noticeable on my skin). However, these Guerlain Eaux seem redundant (and overpriced for what they are) now with Sous le Vent (not quite cheap itself, but a whole lot more going on) and Cologne Sologne (this I just splash on me almost like if I was to shower myself - it comes by the litre) in my wardrobe.

  33. #33

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    I have tried the Chanel several times and just find it a bit too 'polished' for me.

    I mainly opt for Eau de Guerlain, du Coq and Imperiale these days, although I think Cologne du Parfumeur is a great modern addition to the line-up if you want some built in duration. I also have a bottle of the Villoresi, more of a special occasion one as I can't replace it locally.

  34. #34
    Guerlainista
    rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    I agree - du Coq is absolutely fantastic. I love this stuff. Merely - your description captures what's so great about Imperiale perfectly. The Chanel is more polished, prettier I think. It would be very interesting to see Chanel's take on a dirtier EdC, but I don't think they have it in them to make one!

    Larimar - Sous le Vent is great, but it's 4x as expensive as the "eaux fraiches". 500ml of Imperiale is 225EUR - less than 125ml of SlV. To me these are not really comparable, bot just in terms of cost but also in their intended purpose. You have stirred my curiosity about Cologne Sologne. I need to try it the next time I'm in Paris.

    MR - I just got a decant of CdP, and I need to test it some more. I was a bit skeptical of Wasser's addition to the line so early in his tenure, but I like it so far.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  35. #35

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    It all boils down to own likes and value. The Guerlain Eaux woud require twice as much jus as Sous le Vent. They last two hours (naturally), whereas Sous le Vent is a discreet daylong affair for me. Not mentioning complexity in my book.
    Anyway, Cologne Sologne is GREAT (also price!) if one cares for a straight-up neroli.

  36. #36
    Basenotes Plus
    knit at nite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,770

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Just popping in to add that I get no "laundry detergent" vibe from Chanel Eau De Cologne mentioned in the very early part of the thread- it's very flowery on my skin.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

  37. #37
    Guerlainista
    rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    It all boils down to own likes and value. The Guerlain Eaux woud require twice as much jus as Sous le Vent. They last two hours (naturally), whereas Sous le Vent is a discreet daylong affair for me. Not mentioning complexity in my book.
    Anyway, Cologne Sologne is GREAT (also price!) if one cares for a straight-up neroli.
    True - that's what I meant by "intended purpose". These eaux are meant to be simple and short lived. I think they are sort of "palate-cleansing" perfumes. They are good for freshening up and then get out of the way to make room for a real perfume to be applied later. SlV is a proper perfume.

    I love neroli, I think (assuming that's what I like so much in the Chanel). I need to get a jug of Cologne Sologne!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  38. #38

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Quite so, Rugeon. True eaux are merely refreshments, something fleeting but attractive, and that won't clash with any true fragrance that one might later care to wear. I would have no objection to their lasting only ten minutes, but haven't yet discovered something as fleeting as that. One can also wash in them; use them as deodorants (one still perspires, but the alcohol etc inhibits bacterial growth, making it a clean sweat); even sterilise cuts! I have fairly long hair, and use no conditioner, only eaux. I know that it sounds a bit extreme, but I have found that their scent evaporates quickly, while the oils have a definite conditioning effect in making hair smoother and more manageable. It also saves water. Alcohol, lavender, neroli, rosemary, lemon, rose, etc, all have medicinal qualities. Only one must be wary of bergamot - it is a photosensitiser. Fragrances containing it (more or less all eaux!) should not be applied to skin that will be directly exposed to the sun.

    Cologne Sologne does sound promising. Remarkably inexpensive, too.
    Last edited by Merely; 22nd September 2012 at 02:18 AM.

  39. #39
    Basenotes Member Anta79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    No! I really wanna try it.
    Especially now that I know
    I never will!
    Duke, don't worry, there's some great news regarding 1932 (I hope so lol) ;-)
    See this thread : http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...ation-about-it

  40. #40

    Default Re: The Definitive Chanel Eau de Cologne Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I much prefer the Chanel EdC to the Acqua di. But it is really a matter of what one wants. The Chanel EdC is firmly and strictly an original recipe eau de Cologne, to be used as required as a freshener, sanitizer, and for 5 minutes of spritzy fun during the day. It is not intended to be a regular perfume, it doesn't last and it shouldn't. Luca Turin compares and eau de cologne to a waltz. 3 minutes of fun, then bow and leave. It is not a symphony or an opera.

    The Acqua di are more complex compositions and can be used as a (somewhat short lived) perfume. Which is good, but then if I want a real perfume, I usually look elsewhere. The Guerlains are a little bit inbetween, because many of their eaux actually add notes from other genres to make the frag last longer.

    Incidentally, there are reports that eau de Guerlain has also been a victim of IFRA regulations, but I have not smelled the recent version.

    cacio
    totally agree with the respective views

Similar Threads

  1. Chanel Eau de Cologne Purchase
    By bokaba in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th November 2009, 03:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •