Code of Conduct

Default Any recommendations for male fragrances?

Hi everyone,
    For a long time I thought I didn't like any men's fragrances as the only exposure I'd had was through my very metro friend who wears very sweet scents (A*Men and Versace Man eau Fraiche are his signatures I think) that I hated. I came across Antaeus a few months ago though it was the first time I'd smelt a dry woody men's scent - imagine my surprise when I found out that was what they're normally like . So I bought it and have been wearing it constantly since then.

Anyway, my problem is given that I'm only 17 (and I look it) I get the feeling that a lot of the time I cast the impression more of a kid playing with his dad's suit than the suave, gentlemanly aura I thought I had. So I was wondering, does anyone have any suggestions of a similarly dry scent I could try, but one that would fit with my age and appearance more appropriately? I've been considering Dirty English but that's just from reviews; I haven't tried it myself. Thoughts?

I haven't figured out notes very in depth yet but what I smell and particularly love in Antaeus is the spiciness and something vaguely animal/chemical. It reminds me of beeswax but I don't really know...

Anyway! I'm rambling so I'll stop, thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

-Conor
    Last edited by Conor; 16th November 2009 at 03:05 AM.

Default Re: Any recommendations for male fragrances?

You like dry woods, you like the beeswax, and you like the animalic qualities of Antaeus, so it sounds like that's the frag for you. If you fear coming across in a certain way, just use less of it on those days.

I like your thinking, Bigsly! Thanks. I guess that's pretty much a more considered way of how I've been approaching it; I'd still be interested in trying some more fragrances though I've got the bug.

Lacoste's Elegance has a new molecule that is a very dry wood with raspberry. It's a fairly complex, yet subtle and long lasting frag (it's got a dark chocolate note too, and it works well, providing depth).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 16th November 2009 at 04:05 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Well it's true you can wear any scents you like, pulling it off is another matter altogether as you have astutely pointed out for yourself, Conor. For a 17-year old, you seem to have a rather developed sense for scents and the finer art of wearing them. I'm quite impressed. So do stick around.

The problem with recommendations here in BN is that usually the same set of fragrances get the votes every time, quite often not because they are the best but rather because they are the ones a few Basenotes members happened to sample and like. I think it's much better if you try out as wide a variety (incl the suggested Lacoste Elegance) as you can to get a feel of the range available out there. Classics from the likes of Guerlain, Chanel, Dior, YSL and Gucci might be a good place to start.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 16th November 2009 at 02:50 PM.

That's a great scent, you should stick with it. Forget the marketing, scents don't have ages. 17 or 71, you can wear it.

But teenagers are a little more sensitive to scents than older people, and your friends may not be used to "real" perfumes, so you might want to tone it down and apply very lightly.

As much as you like it now, you might get bored of it eventually. So to stay with your preference for woody scents, why not try Bois Blond by Parfumerie Generale (a soft, smooth wood for mellow, quiet days) and pour Homme by Gucci (a peppery, rich wood). Or even better, stay in the Chanel family with Egoiste, a truly lovely scent that everyone should enjoy.

Antaeus is a big scent, full of personality and presence, so I can understand that sometimes you might feel like it is a bit much. That isn't your age, anyone might feel a little overwhelmed by a fragrance with such an impact, gorgeous as it is. Try getting a second scent that is milder for days when you don't want to be noticed as much. Actually just about any scent would be milder, Antaeus really is a superstar.

You might like also the ultra-classic Chanel Pour Monsieur (various Basenoters have also praised the EDP/concentrated versions), you might also like the much talked about, bet nevertheless suave and classy Rive Gauche PH by YSL, Boucheron PH, Solo Loewe and Solo Loewe Intense might also do the trick, as well as Jil Sander Man (the 2007 version) or even the ultra-cheap yet subtly leathery and soapy clean Black Suede Touch by Avon

If you like Anteus, Van Clef and Arpels Pour Homme might be another to try.

But I would come down that you should roll with Anteus and find another scent different than Anteus to break things up. I second Egoiste.

Let me also second the "be careful how you use it" with Anteus. It's potent stuff, and can be scary and overwhelming if you overuse it at any age. I love it, but it can shift from "dark and sexy" to Darth Vader...

I agree with the recommendations to have more than one for different occasions. Check out this fragrance finder at Sephora for woody scents, maybe it will give you some new ideas and you can cross check with reviews in the directory here.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/me/index.jhtml

Sephora accepts returns, too, so if you buy a scent you decide you don't like after a couple of wears you won't waste your money. Ideally you can find samples or try in a store first. A citrus with woody base notes might be another idea for daywear. Feel free to stick around and good luck!
    Last edited by beachroses; 18th November 2009 at 06:59 PM.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme has smooth, woody characteristics, but still manages to smell relatively youthful and fun.

You might also enjoy Gucci Envy - it leans more to the spice than the wood, but it's very masculine and enjoyable.

Also, you're on the right track with Dirty English. It would be a good introductory woody leather scent. The woods are rather bitter in it. I would put Tom Ford for Men in the same category...I think I like it a bit more.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 18th November 2009 at 07:36 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Anateus is an excellent scent but for some reason i have only used it for formal occasions. It is a little potent so i always tried to spray it on my chest with at least a distance of arms length and then walking into the mist. I find Rive Gauche, TSAR, M7, Bvlgari Black and Armani Attitude a good place to start.

Thanks everyone, that's more than I expected . I'll go try out what I can find soon and I'll post back if I choose any of them eventually. Incidentally, does anyone know if there's a place to order samples online? I think a lot of these wouldn't be available around where I live, Jil Sander and Tom Ford etc..

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Thanks everyone, that's more than I expected . I'll go try out what I can find soon and I'll post back if I choose any of them eventually. Incidentally, does anyone know if there's a place to order samples online? I think a lot of these wouldn't be available around where I live, Jil Sander and Tom Ford etc..
    You could try The Perfumed Court. - a wee bit pricey, but highly reliable.

I would recommend you to try Hermes Bel Ami