Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Perfume Show Off !!

I didn't find a thread for vintage perfume show off here. Besides the amazing collection of "kumquat". So I thought it would be in place (?) to start a thread for everyone to show their vintages. Even though I'm just a poor n00b on basenotes yet.

As I'm new here, I hope I haven't missed any threads like this. I did check this "Perfume Bottle Collecting" Thread and found nothing. (Please do tell if i missed something)

So! Even if you only have one, or many! Please show your bottles! + include info if you can! And also show off vintage bottles you do not own, but would want to...and dream about...

Default Re: Vintage Perfume Show Off !!

Well I guess I'll start

** HUGHES GUERLAIN "EAU DE JOIE **

Got this lovely vintage bottle today. There'sa the nr.3 & nr. 10 on the bottom. Also a company logo looks like "MW" joined toghether. I think it's about 25-30ml. Filled with a lovely chypre perfume, that I've never heard about! To best describe the perfume I would say it reminds me a of a weakened, sweeter Van Cleef & Aprels "First". Googled on it, and found nothing. Does anyone know this one?

I did find this on Marcel Guerlain:
    "a DEPINOIX perfume bottle for Marcel Guerlain, circa 1926, in clear and frosted glass, with sepia stain and label." at http://www.liveauctioneers.com/h/ite...l&itemtype=all (Hammer Price $800 )

The info below I've copied from http://reviews.ebay.com/Vintage-Guer...00000001688347, written by "cleopatra*s_boudoir" : "Please note that two other Parisian perfume companies should not be confused with the Guerlain family company are Marcel Guerlain & Hughes Guerlain. This perfume is from 1920s-1930s. Marcel Guerlain. the Hughes Guerlain company and also launched these fragrances that I googled on, Extrait 9, Extrait 14, Bolide, Molny, and Aime, probably manufactured in the 1920s-1930s. These names are not affiliated with the Pierre-Francois Guerlain family although Marcel Guerlain was the same name as one of the heirs to the Guerlain family, there was no other connection. In light of this confusion, the Guerlain family adopted the slogan "Nous n'avons pas de prenon" (We have no first name) and brought a successful lawsuit against Marcel Guerlain, who then changed his company's name to the Societe des Parfumeurs Francais. Marcel Guerlain was then using his own slogan when advertising in the USA: "no connection with any firm of similar name". Marcel Guerlain founded his own company in 1923 and produced perfumes and cosmetics. He opened a splendid shop at 86 rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honore in Paris. He also formed seven other perfume companies such as the Hughes Guerlain company and launched four fragrances that I know of, Extrait 9, Extrait 14, Bolide, Molny, and Aime."

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome, MissMagic. I hope you draw in lots of pictures from BNers. I enjoy seeing these never-before-seen (to my eyes) works of art.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, that's a beauty. I have been wanting to talk about these 'Fragrant Finds' too. I'll probably be posting here a lot. I hope everyone else will put their vintage stuff here as well. There are zillions of them that are undocumented. We need to review them, too, so others will be able to buy them if they come across them again.
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th November 2009 at 04:15 PM.

What a marvelous thread! I can never get enough of seeing these beautiful vintage finds....
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Red face Re: Vintage Perfume Show Off !!

Thanks for the welcoming! I feel very welcome now

This was my very first vintage perfume bought on ebay US.
    I have loads of perfumes, but all "new" ones.

Anyways .. I'm not feeling all joyful about Eau De Joi right now... hmmm
    I opend the parcel in a hurry & didn't take time to really check it out.
    Well, now I have. And... plastic cap on a vintage perfume "probably manufactured in the 1920s-1930s" (look above on what I googled on, about HUGHES GUERLAIN).

Check my pictures please, and let me know what you think? Does there exist lots of fake vintage perfumes? I've never heard about that? Should I post this somewhere else here?

Plastic:

Plastic indeed:

More:

And finally, the bottom, what could these marks stand for? "MV" in the round circle, and numbers "3" & "10" :

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These could be from the 40's,50's or 60's too. The main thing is, does it smell good?

kumquat: Yes it smells very good indeed, it doesn't have that smell of "cheap" that copies & such have. The scent, is as I wrote, a weakened, sweeter Van Cleef & Aprels "First".

Great !! I like all them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is 'Futur' by Robert Piguet I haven't opened it yet.
    Last edited by kumquat; 21st November 2009 at 05:38 PM.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRR RRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Kumquat! I cannot WAIT to hear how this smells, I'm dying to try Futur! You always find such great stuff...beautiful bottles with tremendous perfume still inside!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Kumquat: wow impressive! Bottle is really lovely. Please tell about the scent when/if you decide to open it?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful thread!

Miss Magic, what a a good idea to post and what a mysterious and beautiful find you have there
    Kumquat, you must spend all your time and energy searching for your treasures. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never taken any pictures of my collection before, so I thought I'd play around and they came out halfway decent. Here's a few of mine:

Last edited by Anna_P; 22nd November 2009 at 02:07 PM.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_P View Post
    I've never taken any pictures of my collection before, so I thought I'd play around and they came out halfway decent. Here's a few of mine:

Anna, you must make your photo album public in order for your photos to appear. We dont see anything

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Anna, you must make your photo album public in order for your photos to appear. We dont see anything
    Oops, gotcha! Thanks Dimitri, hope it works now.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the links are working now - lovely collection Anna. Thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I found this list of notes for the current version of Futur.

• Bergamot—is an essential oil obtained from the peel of an inedible fruit—fresh, tangy, citrus and green.
    • Neroli—a spicy, citrus aroma, it has a very distinctive scent.
    • Violet—Intense, green, leafy, violet.
    • Rose Absolute—a warm, deep floral.
    • Jasmine—a white floral with rich, earthy, warm undertones.
    • Patchouli—a shrub whose leaves have an earthy, woody and mossy quality.

After I got this open I tried it out. There is a blast of smoky jasmine at first, then the vintage starts out powdery & the bergamot is prominent.
    I think the violet must be the next stage I'm getting which is slightly aftershavey with traces of leather. It smoothes into a powdery leather after about 1/2 hour.
    This stage feels like it will last a while so I'll add further developments later.
    Last edited by kumquat; 22nd November 2009 at 04:15 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I am equally impressed by your wonderful WALLPAPER in the background! Or is it a HATBOX? Storage Box?
    Last edited by knit at nite; 22nd November 2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, I let the 'Futur' settle for several hours and got the oddest result...it smells like Profumo Dulcis in Fundo! I suppose you could stretch it and say there is a soft hint of leather, but mainly, it's orange and vanilla. How very odd! It smells good, though, so I can't complain. I'm going to add a few drops of EverClear alcohol to replace the evaporated juice & cut back on the powder effect. That part lasted too long for me.
    Last edited by kumquat; 22nd November 2009 at 09:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    I am equally impressed by your wonderful WALLPAPER in the background! Or is it a HATBOX? Storage Box?
    Thanks Dimitri and knit_at_knite . The wallpaper is indeed a storage box where I keep my scarves. I keep my perfume in a drawer so I don't really have a fancy display case that would look good in photos, I thought the storage box as a background would have a better boudoir/girly effect

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Coty La Fougeraie. There is a distinct connection to Emeraude in the dusky green opening.
    I will report back on the scent development as the notes for this are not known.