Code of Conduct

Thread: Shaal Nur

Default Shaal Nur

wow, what a nice juice. This is my second ETRO after Patchouli and I must say that I liked it from first moment. ETRO does not get much love in here but it has some gems among their offering.
    To be honest I have never smelled anything similar and that is good news. It was not my initial idea to buy it but it was hard to resist after a couple of minutes, very exotic. To my nose the combination of bergamot and patchouli feels fantastic, very bitter yet well spoken. Very good oriental that I will not hesitate using in summer, a winner and a surprise. :toppie:
    Last edited by Basteri; 16th November 2009 at 09:52 PM.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: Shaal Nur

How many time did i tell u to try it ??

u finallt maneged to do that
    good for u!!

Shal nur is great.
    i like the bitterness and some how the soft roses and woods.

Blog Entries

I really like this on my husband & it works well for me, too. On him it is all spices and on me it gets some musk along with spice.

Yep, I think it's their best, together with Messe de Minuit.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Yep, I think it's their best, together with Messe de Minuit.
    and Magot and Vetiver as well

yes MO, I finally bought it today, I should have listened to you before :-)

I love Shaal Nur, it is truly a unisex scent. Enjoy!

Citrus, rose, and incense. It is one of those scents that truly gives off an "aura". Damn it, now I've got to go spray me some...
    The Bark Bites Back.

wow I have not read that name here in a long time!
    Last edited by scentimus; 17th November 2009 at 12:54 AM.

I'm glad you found it and like it, Basteri! Shaal Nur is one of my top favorite fragrance compositions. I think it's wearable any time of the year by a man or a woman. I also find it hard to put in a fragrance category, and I like that! It's a "citrus-spice-herb-floral-woody-incense-vetiver", I guess (does that mean it would go in the gigantic and so-diverse-as-to-be-meaningless "Orientals" category?) And it has a "nutty" quality on me that I really love.

Oh, and a bonus: The Etro bottles are visually appealing and have a nice feel to the hand.
    Last edited by Haunani; 17th November 2009 at 01:46 AM.

Oh jeez, sounds like I need to try this one!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I appreciate it, but honestly, when I wore it, I always felt that it ended up wearing me.
    I guess this in keeping with Etro's rather bright, loud - new and just out of the box, aesthetic. Their clothes remind me of rock 'n' roll night at the senior center.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th November 2009 at 05:00 PM.

I love Shaal Nur, it reminds me a bit of Shalimar.

I have and love many Etro scents, Messe de Minuit being my favourite and Vetiver the vetiver scent that made me "find" vetiver. Today I'm wearing Heliotrope...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

It reminded me a bit of Shalimar too (the Light version, to be exact). Messe de Minuit seems to be the jewel in the Etro crown, though I haven't tried every one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    It reminded me a bit of Shalimar too (the Light version, to be exact). Messe de Minuit seems to be the jewel in the Etro crown, though I haven't tried every one yet.
    Yes, that's true. The funny thing is, when I first smelled Shaal Nur I called it "Shalimar Light" (which didn't exist yet)!

Messe is definitely Etro's finest, but Palais Jamais is wonderfully unique, too. I wonder if anyone likes it when they first try it, I sure didn't, the top notes are so bitter, but I became addicted to it.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    I love Shaal Nur, it is truly a unisex scent. Enjoy!
    I found that the drydown tilted a little too much to the femenine side for my taste, but I think it's a quality scent...just not for me.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I am wearing it today and I like it a lot, perhaps a too much into the femenine side but nevertheless very wearable. The temperature is around 12 degrees celsius today yet Shaal Nur works well, it feels creamy and warm, must be the patchouli and vetiver mix(??). It also brings memories of a lime sorbet with a touch of vanilla on it. Very weir scent that swings from one note to the next quickly-

Hmm, sounds like I will like this if I like vintage Shalimar (PdT) too?

Shaal Nur smells like a cross between vintage Vol de Nuit parfum and today's watered down EDT. I already have the two, but nonetheless an unbelievably gorgeous scent.

What a timely thread this is...I just picked up a bottle from a very cool BN'er.
    It's my scent of the day too, Basteri! We're scent twins today! I like your description of "lime sorbet", the opening definitely has a very tangy and herbal lime-like quality to it...
    In fact, I love everyone's descriptions so far in this thread, they all very accurately descibe a frag that, for me, is pretty hard to pin down.
    I'm also a big Etro fan, my other fave's are Vetiver, New Tradition, and Patchouli.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

hello twin :-)
    I agree with you, very hard to pin down and gorgeous

Shaal Nur + SL Arabie are on top of my wishlist of "Must buy perfume" - I'm totally in love with Shaal Nur, and I'm now wearing the last of my sample today.

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    ...Shal nur is great.
    i like the bitterness and some how the soft roses and woods.
    I am glad you mention bitternes and soft roses! This makes it very special indeed.
    Does it remind me of Shalimar? --- Only by those three or four letters both perfumes share!
    Last edited by narcus; 17th November 2009 at 03:36 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I'm glad you found it and like it, Basteri! Shaal Nur is one of my top favorite fragrance compositions. I think it's wearable any time of the year by a man or a woman. I also find it hard to put in a fragrance category, and I like that! It's a "citrus-spice-herb-floral-woody-incense-vetiver", I guess (does that mean it would go in the gigantic and so-diverse-as-to-be-meaningless "Orientals" category?) And it has a "nutty" quality on me that I really love.

Oh, and a bonus: The Etro bottles are visually appealing and have a nice feel to the hand.
    Well said. It is one of the first fragrances I purchased and I did so blind. Got really lucky with this one.

During my testing of Vintage Egoiste (wonderful Rose, Sandalwood, and Vanilla/Tonka), I couldn't help thinking that it'd be tremendous with some Frankincense, and Citrus added to the composition. Does this have as prominent a Rose or asprominent sweetness as Egoiste ?

Is Shaal Nur anything like that? I seem to recall it being compared somewhat to Jubilation XXV ? As well as other resinous, warm incense frags.... Anyone care to be even more acutely descriptive ?