Code of Conduct

Default Do "Boozy" Colognes Make Me Smell Like I've Been Drinking?!

Hey BN guys,

Based on the great BN reviews, I purchased Burberry London and I LOVE IT! What great fall/winter scent. I recently read a review, however, which mentions this "boozy" fragrance, with notes of port wine, makes the wearer smell like he's been drinking! This is a major concern for me as I wear it to work (I'm a rescue worker) and would be in serious trouble if someone perceived I'd been drinking on the job. I also wear Michael Kors' "Michael" but usually only after work. Anyone else get this impression from the so-called "boozy" scents?

THANKS!

Default Re: Do "Boozy" Colognes Make Me Smell Like I've Been Drinking?!

Some fragrances do give off that association, but I don't really get any type of boozyness from Burberry London...

No it's merely just another note in the fragrance. If a scent ever smelled THAT boozy I would hope it wouldn't be successful. A*Men Pure Malt is aged in oak casks that are used for whiskey and even that isn't too boozy.

I got some strange looks when I was wearing Paul Smith - London. Much boozier than Burberry's London IMO.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Yeah I dont get any alcohol at all in Burberry London. I did however have this same concern with Straight to Heaven by Kilian. On my first wearing the first thing to cross my mind is I would be suspect if I were to drive through a police roadcheck.
    .Dave J

Well have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Well have you been?
    LOL! No way!

Mike, like KMF, I don't really feel that Burberry London is all that boozy ( as made out to be in the reviews). Moreso, for me, dry woods followed with a powdery base ( towards the end of the wearing).

If you were drinking--people would certainly know it, especially at work. I just bought Nicole Miller for Men---that's quite a boozy fume! Burberry London seems to dry down more tea or tobacco like for me. Boozy is a term that I think more describes top notes of certain fragrances, but I could be wrong.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I haven't yet smelled a fragrance that is SO boozy that it makes the wearer smell as though he's been drinking. Boozy notes are, after all, blended with several other notes to achieve the final outcome of the fragrance. All of the fragrances mentioned above, with their varying degrees of booziness, still smell like eau de toilettes to my nose, and not a bottle of booze.

(Don't gargle with London!)
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 17th November 2009 at 04:35 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Blog Entries

I've tried a couple that actually managed to make me smell like one of those homeless guys who's such an alcoholic he sweats booze. The one that springs to mind, if you're curious or into that sort of thing, was Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac.

My generally fragrance-supportive coworker, who has not only put up with, but enjoyed some real stinkers on me, suggested that I probably shouldn't ever wear it again, especially to work. Ouch...
    Last edited by rogalal; 17th November 2009 at 04:42 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I don't think that Burberry London smells boozy per se, but it makes me want to drink some. Reminds me of sitting around a fire while sipping scotch and smoking a cigar. A wonderful fall/winter scent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    Reminds me of sitting around a fire while sipping scotch and smoking a cigar. A wonderful fall/winter scent.
    That sounds great - I've got to smell this...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I don't know about other scents but my co-worked once asked me in disbelief "Have you been f*kin drinking? Damnit, I should've too!". This was just before an important CEO meeting about a few tech infrastructure upgrades and I was wearing Parfums d'Empire Ambre Russe.

Perhaps a wrong choice of scent for the occassion, but the scent is so darned beautiful. Oh man...

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Plus

I don't drink but my friends do, so my nose is particularly sensitive to that alcohol note. I can tell if someone's been drinking even if it's just a glass of wine. To my nose the boozy note that comes off some fragrances like Straight To Heaven or Burberry London is short-lived, hanging around the top notes only for a few minutes. But as others have pointed out, there are probably other fragrances with more potent booze accords and I'm pretty certain I won't be wearing them.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 17th November 2009 at 06:04 AM.