Code of Conduct

Default Lonestar Memories

I felt in love with it from the day I read the name "Lonestar memories" woooow how cool is that? very. Then I read Tauer┤s description and I was sold to it.
    I looked for a sample and my friend Moreda sent me one. When I smelled it I was surprised (which is good) smoky, bitter, rubbery, fleshy and with a very strange toothpaste note that drove me insane.
    Several month later I pulled the trigger and got me a full bottle (by the way the bottle is tacky and looks cheap but that is irrelevant , or maybe not). The bottom line is that I have worn the fragrance 4 times and in three of those occasions got adverse reactions from people. Seems what I found fascinating and unique is not perceived by most people as such, but rather something repulsive. I must admit that I have disregard those negative comments and my infatuation with LM is still strong.
    Lonestar Memories and Knize Ten are the two fragrances in my wardrobe that I really enjoy but keep getting me bad press (and I am being careful when applying).
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: Lonestar Memories

I like LM very much but I do think there's something a bit unbalanced about it. I would love to see Tauer fiddle with it. Keep the basic idea but take out some of the sweetness and amp up the florals.
    I'd love to see someone with perfumery experience remark on this idea: that Tauer, with his innocence of industry training and his love of high quality ingredients, often uses familiar ingredients in unfamiliar ways. I would suggest that he is much more likely to leave an ingredient exposed, rather than surrounding it with the other notes that make it "familiar" to those of us who know the note through perfumery and not through the study of essential oils, etc. The dry, green medicinal quality of his lavender fragrance is an easy example of this but I think something of the kind is going on with the carnation and the resins in Lonestar Memories and a number of others. My guess is that partly there's a resistance to some of his things because his use of ingredients is alien, leaving some accords feeling blocky or rustic or something. But as a showcase for ingredients I think his frags are marvelous.

I think it's important to not overspray with Lonestar Memories.
    One or two sprays to the chest and everything's perfect.
    I also can't get enough of Chaps by Ralph Lauren these days.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Glad you like the name Lonestar Memories. I am the person who named it that for Andy Tauer.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I love the scent too

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

lobster very interesting input , thanks.
    Prince Barry if you named the fragrance you nailed it, it does not get cooler than that. Did you at least get a bottle for free? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Glad you like the name Lonestar Memories. I am the person who named it that for Andy Tauer.
    Please explain!?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Blog Entries

Do tell! I was fascinated by the choice of name. In some ways, I can see it, in others not, but it did strike me as apt on many levels. If you care to elaborate, and feel that it would be fine with Andy that you did so, I would love to hear more. If not, then no problem. I'm happy that you were able to share that much.

Blog Entries

BTW, I have always admired those of you who can wear this fragrance. I find it deeply fascinating, but very difficult to wear. For me, it is completely distracting, and somewhat disturbing. I agree with Strollyourlobster's idea that Tauer's presentation of these notes is done very differently, but I also think it's clear that it is his intention to do so. I am completely fascinated by his Incense Rose. Like Lonestar Memories, it simply grabs mindshare and - hanging on like a pit bull - refuses to let go. Tauer's scents leave indelible impressions.

Not a fan. The descriptions of Andy Tauer's fragrances (including this one) all sound like things I'd love and then I try them and .... not so much. Oh well, to each his own!

I agree with RP in that I admire this frag but have a hard time wearing it. I have a 5ml decant and that suits me just fine. I could also easily see how wearing this would be ill-received by others. It is definitely for a select few. Most people are too used to the generic crap that is pedaled at (insert major dept store here). Just like you Basteri, I wouldn't let anybody else dictate what I wear but I understand how disheartening it is to get nothing but negs on something you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    lobster very interesting input , thanks.
    Prince Barry if you named the fragrance you nailed it, it does not get cooler than that. Did you at least get a bottle for free? :-)
    I actually got one of the first bottles that was produced

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Please explain!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Do tell! I was fascinated by the choice of name. In some ways, I can see it, in others not, but it did strike me as apt on many levels. If you care to elaborate, and feel that it would be fine with Andy that you did so, I would love to hear more. If not, then no problem. I'm happy that you were able to share that much.
    Andy was definite about the concept of this scent and he was going to call it Texas Dreams. To me, that name lacked a certain magic. I got to thinking and remembered that Texas was known as the Lonestar State and thought that using Lonestar instead of Texas, did sound a little bit more romantic. The Dreams part still didn't sound right, so I thought a bit more and then came up with Lonestar Memories which actually fits in very well with the graphic showing the cowboy. It's more about what the Lonestar State used to be, hence the memories.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I got to thinking and remembered that Texas was known as the Lonestar State and thought that using Lonestar instead of Texas, did sound a little bit more romantic. The Dreams part still didn't sound right, so I thought.
    It's a wonder the Texans on BN haven't jumped on this before now but there is a space between "Lone" and "Star." Lonestar is the name of a crappy country band...
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I've never really tried it. I'm not a fan of the Tim McGraw country thing.. it's not me.
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 19th November 2009 at 02:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Whoa!

Andy was definite about the concept of this scent and he was going to call it Texas Dreams. To me, that name lacked a certain magic. I got to thinking and remembered that Texas was known as the Lonestar State and thought that using Lonestar instead of Texas, did sound a little bit more romantic. The Dreams part still didn't sound right, so I thought a bit more and then came up with Lonestar Memories which actually fits in very well with the graphic showing the cowboy. It's more about what the Lonestar State used to be, hence the memories.
    I agree that the name is a significant improvement, and definitely a good part of the magic and the message. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    It's a wonder the Texans on BN haven't jumped on this before now but there is a space between "Lone" and "Star." Lonestar is the name of a crappy country band...
    Good catch. Actually, I did notice it - and I'm only Texan by blood. But Lone Star Memories is what I have from drinking Lone Star beer with Texan expats in college, and I wouldn't care to wear 'em at all! Given the choice, I think dropping the space was the better choice, but that may just be me. I'm always an easy adopter on variants and novel spellings.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    I've never really tried it. I'm not a fan of the Tim McGraw country thing.. it's not me.
    LOL! Trust me, on so many levels, this is not a Tim McGraw fragrance! And I may be the only local aficionado of those. No, this is something that is fascinating, but would never make it past a Coty focus group, or possibly even a single, dead-drunk, on-acid, mid-life crisis, freshly divorced, alt-rocker, fragrance division creative nose.

Ah, I remember him well!
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL! Trust me, on so many levels, this is not a Tim McGraw fragrance! And I may be the only local aficionado of those. No, this is something that is fascinating, but would never make it past a Coty focus group, or possibly even a single, dead-drunk, on-acid, mid-life crisis, freshly divorced, alt-rocker, fragrance division creative nose.
    Really?! Okay well now I'd try it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Ah, I remember him well!
    LMAO

Yes - THIS should be on the bottle as a warning to the wearer.

Nothing Tim McGraw about this. Maybe Waylon Jennings on a bender in Paris, circa 1973.

I probably should have reworded but it's just that the name, for me, evokes that kind of imagery. I almost bought Bogner's Deep Forest blind for $90 merely because of the images that came to mind. ( I also really wanted a "green" scent ) That kind of thing is quite important in whether I'm interested in trying out a scent. Although I looked it up and based on the reviews it might be a bit robust for me anyway.

It is an intensely masculine scent. The birch tar and smoke are not what most people expect in a perfume, and they might be turned off by it. It isn't one I wear every day, but it is a very sophisticated, mature scent and it is one I love. I wear it more to sporting or outdoor events.

Some people like things to be sweet and light all the time. But life isn't like that, and neither is this perfume. Stick with it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Now I know why the word Lone Star reminds me of Texan rangers... Thanks for the fascinating history. I love the name too but have yet to try the scent...

louslice you bet I will keep it and wear it , a very special and different fragrance which is what I always look in my olfactory journey

Quote Originally Posted by Louslice View Post
    It is an intensely masculine scent. The birch tar and smoke are not what most people expect in a perfume, and they might be turned off by it. It isn't one I wear every day, but it is a very sophisticated, mature scent and it is one I love. I wear it more to sporting or outdoor events.

Some people like things to be sweet and light all the time. But life isn't like that, and neither is this perfume. Stick with it.
    BUMP

A kind basenoter sent me a sample....OMG. Slightly sweet and smoky with the birch tar. Love it. Much respect to Andy Tauer.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Interesting

One of his better scents.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Interesting
    Thanks

Roja Dove