Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are You a Hoarder?

I've recently began to feel like a bit of a fragrance pack rat and have made an attempt to reduce my collection and put the brakes on spending. I've been reading about hoarding disorder and see that it has many manifestations. For instance people who have more pets than they can possible afford to properly care for can be considered animal hoarders. It's a real Pandora's Box syndrome.
    Any thoughts out there?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Are You a Hoarder?

I am a hoarder for sure but only of fragrance items. I cannot just buy one bottle - I have to stock up and buy 2 ,sometimes 3 bottles of the same fragrance in case I run out ! Yes, I know it's abit sad but do eventually go through it all .......
    Confessions, confessions !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I've recently began to feel like a bit of a fragrance pack rat....
    I've been feeling the same way. I buy too much perfume, wear too little of it, and start to feel anxious when I think about which ones to get rid of, as though I might regret letting go of anything.

I see the promos for "Hoarders" on A&E TV and imagine seeing a Basenoter on there someday... maybe me.
    Last edited by tang; 17th November 2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

AromiErotici

No doubt I have the sickness. Every hobby I endeavor is balls to the wall. I have softball which is very expensive ( believe me) and fragrances, which as you know, is also very expensive.

I use to have music but finally gave it up at the end of 2004. Also fresh water cichlids was a hobby until a few years ago. At one time, I had 14 fish tanks going in our 2 bedroom place and they were large tanks.

The wife finally went berserk and now I am allowed 1 large tank.

I get stressed because fragrances already are or will be reformulated, so I need backups... I buy a lot of vintage Guerlains and Chanels. Too much maybe?

I rotate my obsessions: before I started getting perfumes en masse, I was buying knitwear in general and cashmere in particular.

I don't really see it as a problem if you manage to keep it within reasonable amounts (both numbers of bottles and money spent). I have around 30 fragrances and keep backups for many of them. I can see myself actually using these up some day. And if I don't use them, or lose interest, I think I can sell them on without making a loss.

Blog Entries

I've been trimming down my collection and getting rid of things I see I'm not using, and the last fragrance I bought was a decant instead of a full bottle-- and that is new for me.

And while I am planning to get a backup bottle of another fragrance, I'll be paying for it by selling off a few things from another collection (which I stopped adding to a few years ago.)

Yes, I do have hoarding tendencies, but I recognize the illogic of keeping more than I can use, and am taking steps in the other direction. For which my neatnik husband is most grateful.

I'm all over the place...I hoard, then I get stressed because i have too much...I purge...then I buy more. It's a big messy circle frankly.

I have one rule I follow now...only buy what you *love*. Simple, but in the past, I'd buy things blind, I'd buy things that I only "liked" or "liked a lot"...if I don't love it, it's not worth owning...no matter how rare it is, how much of a good deal I can get, no matter if it's free even.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    At one time, I had 14 fish tanks going in our 2 bedroom place and they were large tanks.
    14 tanks

I have one hugeass tank myself and that alone annoys my girl. I've dropped few Piranhas in the tank anyway

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Yeah, I definately have taht sort of filing system, "I need a sample of this just for reference" sort of collection... but I'm working on keeping it slim. Basically I'm coming to terms with testing something, and simply moving on if it's not excellent. I either keep the little sample for reference, but in many cases I'm trying to just throw them into a bag off to the side and use them for swaps.

I try to (arbitrarily) limit the number of bottles in my collection as well. I really think that with about 15-20 bottles, even say up to 30 if you're serious, you can really have a very full collection of only goldies, at least for me. I'm hovering around 20-25 and I don't see the NEED for any more.

Lastly, instead of buying full bottles, I've come to realize that having 100ml is (for me) pointless. That's over 200 wearings, completely impractical. I'm not looking to own a frag for 10 years. I expect bottles to rotate (finish or sell) withing 3-5 years, so I NEVER need more then 75ml of anything, and 20-30 ml is fine for some of the more eccentric ones... so now I just buy/swap decants, or buy 20-30ml minis of most. 20 bottles with say 5 being 100ml, 5 being 75 ml and 10-15 with 20-30 ml, I've got more then enough for several years...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'm all over the place...I hoard, then I get stressed because i have too much...I purge...then I buy more. It's a big messy circle frankly.

I have one rule I follow now...only buy what you *love*. Simple, but in the past, I'd buy things blind, I'd buy things that I only "liked" or "liked a lot"...if I don't love it, it's not worth owning...no matter how rare it is, how much of a good deal I can get, no matter if it's free even.
    +1, exactly me. I've started in cycles of buying and purging but I'm working on ignoring groupthink and buying something "just because" it's highly regarded, or I can get a good deal, etc.

Although, something that's underrated and I've come to terms with is that as a newbie, I feel like it's almost my duty to go out and try a bunch of well known frags, and even with those that I'm not mad about, I often find myself buying and really TRYING to like more then I really may, because, I'm new at this! so in my mind, of course there's no gaurentee or reason that I have to love something because may have difference preferences, but if the "experts" love something, then maybe it's ME who needs to wrap my head around it instead of just dismissing something. So based on that, I often seek out and sample ones that on first sniff or reading the pyramid I didn't think I would like.

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    14 tanks

I have one hugeass tank myself and that alone annoys my girl. I've dropped few Piranhas in the tank anyway
    Amit.......I'm a complete horses ass when it comes to hobbies. I have one speed....and that's full throttle. It was so nuts with the fishtanks that our apt. manager who lived in the next apartment over from us used to literally bring prospective tenants over to our place and ask if they could see "Sea World". It was a freakin mess........

I have one 55 gallon tank now. I have 2 cichlids in it. A Red Devil and a Green Severum and the tank is split in half with a divider. The Red Devil is just that.....a devil.

What kind of fish do you have bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    +1, exactly me. I've started in cycles of buying and purging but I'm working on ignoring groupthink and buying something "just because" it's highly regarded, or I can get a good deal, etc.

Although, something that's underrated and I've come to terms with is that as a newbie, I feel like it's almost my duty to go out and try a bunch of well known frags, and even with those that I'm not mad about, I often find myself buying and really TRYING to like more then I really may, because, I'm new at this! so in my mind, of course there's no gaurentee or reason that I have to love something because may have difference preferences, but if the "experts" love something, then maybe it's ME who needs to wrap my head around it instead of just dismissing something. So based on that, I often seek out and sample ones that on first sniff or reading the pyramid I didn't think I would like.
    Samples are your friend! I would hoard up samples and decants and keep trying them...I always end up giving all my samples away when I think I'm done with them, only to wish I hadn't. You never know when something is going to be pulled from the shelves or changed, so it's always good to keep references...and it's a lot cheaper than buying the whole bottle.

Basenotes Institution

No doubt I have the sickness. Every hobby I endeavor is balls to the wall. I have softball which is very expensive ( believe me) and fragrances, which as you know, is also very expensive.

I use to have music but finally gave it up at the end of 2004. Also fresh water cichlids was a hobby until a few years ago. At one time, I had 14 fish tanks going in our 2 bedroom place and they were large tanks.

The wife finally went berserk and now I am allowed 1 large tank.
    Aromi ! How amazing !

I get my hoarding and hobby thing from my mother who at one point had 32 separate bird cages ( each with a bird in them - guess who was the luckily one who got to clean the poop out as a little girl ?! ) She also went through a dog phase ( that one is on going ) and a tortoise phase ( reduced from 4 to one -one tortoise -now deceased - was so fast moving she called it Jackie Chan ! )
    She now has 6 birds in separate cages and a huge aviary with God knows how many in there......
    My Dad has been berserk about it for years and years .... I call her Dr.Dolittle who talks to the animals ....

Re. perfume- I cannot break the habit of buying more than one bottle of the same fragrance- I go into panick mode if I have only one bottle of let's say E L P C Tuberose Gardenia God knows how I will cart all my perfume back to the US at this rate.....
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 17th November 2009 at 03:09 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have been a borderline hoarder. I had been real bad with men's grooming products (shave creams, moisturizers, eye gel, pomades), but after taking a close look at my spending, I decided to cut way back. I am in the midst of using up all my existing stock of these products. Saves a lot of cash.

I am an impulse shopper and that's the bottom line, but I am doing a lot better job. I had about 60 full bottles of cologne at my peak, I'm at about 18 or 19 now. I bought the Coach for Men cologne at our Coach store last week purely on impulse (I did spray it first on my hand, thank God!). I'm wearing it today, and while it is a very nice office scent, that was a $75 impulse buy! I mean, c'mon!

I have donated tons of clothing to charity this year. I am sellling off watches and colognes. I am down to one set of golf clubs (but two putters).

It just makes me feel better to have reasonable size collections of things like scents and watches. I feel guilty, and rightly so, when they just sit there and don't get used. Same with clothes and shoes.

So no, I don't guess I'm a hoarder, but I do impulse buy on occasion. I'm a work in progress.

Blog Entries

Oh, and I'm in the process of cleaning out the basement, which involves a lot of donating of things that had been kept "in case they might come in handy." They never did come in handy (big surprise, huh?) so now they are out of here! Feels good, too.

I'm a habitual purger, and sometimes I actually wish I had more hoarding tendencies.

I can't tell you how many times I've given or swapped away a sample or bottle during a period of disinterest (to streamline my collection, I told myself), only to long for it later. I try to be somewhat minimalist in how I live in general; I feel like too much stuff weighs me down. Generally I like it that way, but sometimes I just take it too far or am not strategic enough.

I think I sort of had some reverse inspiration from my mom, who is a classic hoarder. She didn't buy much, but she kept everything and never organized any of it. Having crap around the house constantly just drove me nuts. Now I think I err in the other direction.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I fully support getting rid of extra stuff, but just be careful as you go through the process of deciding what goes and what stays.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 17th November 2009 at 08:36 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Amit.......I'm a complete horses ass when it comes to hobbies. I have one speed....and that's full throttle. It was so nuts with the fishtanks that our apt. manager who lived in the next apartment over from us used to literally bring prospective tenants over to our place and ask if they could see "Sea World". It was a freakin mess........

I have one 55 gallon tank now. I have 2 cichlids in it. A Red Devil and a Green Severum and the tank is split in half with a divider. The Red Devil is just that.....a devil.

What kind of fish do you have bro?
    That sounds messy indeed

I used to have tons of fish earlier including black sharks, goldfish, angels, catfish, elephant nose fish, tigerfish among others. My ~50 gallon tank is now inhabited only by 4 piranhas large enough to chew off my paw if i'm careless

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

When I start a new hobby or exploration, I don't think the original intention comes from a desire to hoard, but it certainly ends up with owning a 'hoard' of things.
    For me, it comes from a desire to explore, learn and understand. I was obsessed with Ottoman Architecture for about 10 years, it started in a Grad school Islamic art history course. Manifested itself in the purchase of numerous books on the subject and then it played out with repeated visits to Istanbul. One day I lost interest, not complete interest, but it seemed, at that point, I learned all I wanted to know about it.
    I think I came to fragrance with the same desire, to learn all I could about the art of perfumery, the difference between vintage and new, the different noses, etc.
    The hoarding was the result, not the initial impulse - I had to own as many legendary fragrances as I could find. My real issue is obsessive behavior, but obsessions lead to collections.
    Thank god I don't become obsessed with destructive things.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th November 2009 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I am an impulse shopper and that's the bottom line

I am down to one set of golf clubs (but two putters).
    1. To avoid impulse buys, now, either I simply avoid walking around places like malls or going into shops because they're DESIGNED to make you buy stuff. That's why you're walking in, to look and eventually BUY things. So I just find other source of entertainment.

Also, before going out shopping, I always take a quick scan through WHAT I ALREADY HAVE and my WANT list and then as I browse i can compare them. It's rare that I see something and buy it that's not on my list. takes a lot of control though
    I also ask myself if that new purchase is REDUNDANT, basically do I currently have something that adequetely serves the same purpose? often the answer is yes.
    "A sale is just is a deal on something you don't need at a price you can't refuse"

2. Of course, two putters is totally acceptable

Yes, except i call it collecting. I 'collect' fragrances and vinyl / records ( yes the big black round things with music on it that they used back in the stone age)

I also go through buying and purge cycles.

*purger*

I've reached a personal milestone - I've been giving away some fragrances and plan to do so again come Christmas. Not my holy-grail, archival-quality, irreplaceable ones, of course. But in the course of the last three years or so, I've purchased additional bottles of some old favorites, and guess what - they were reformulated to the point where I could not derive pleasure from them. So I'll pass them on to folks who were never familiar with the originals and would enjoy these frags in their current state. In my past, I would have held on even to things I was not satisfied with - and that's an accurate illustration for not just for material "things", but to relationships and situations, too. I think one's obsessions and the emotional process around them have counterparts in other parts of life as well.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 17th November 2009 at 07:51 PM.

No joke, it is serious, I am on my best way towards becoming one, just look up my related tread within the Male Discussion board about the ideal "dream team" of fragrances yet to own and behold what fantasies of lavishness, over-consumption and fragrant excesses I harbor. So I can fully relate to becoming, day by day, more of a hoarder.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239919
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 19th November 2009 at 07:06 AM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Aromi ! How amazing !

I get my hoarding and hobby thing from my mother who at one point had 32 separate bird cages ( each with a bird in them - guess who was the luckily one who got to clean the poop out as a little girl ?! ) She also went through a dog phase ( that one is on going ) and a tortoise phase ( reduced from 4 to one -one tortoise -now deceased - was so fast moving she called it Jackie Chan ! )
    She now has 6 birds in separate cages and a huge aviary with God knows how many in there......
    My Dad has been berserk about it for years and years .... I call her Dr.Dolittle who talks to the animals ....

Re. perfume- I cannot break the habit of buying more than one bottle of the same fragrance- I go into panick mode if I have only one bottle of let's say E L P C Tuberose Gardenia God knows how I will cart all my perfume back to the US at this rate.....
    It almost sounds like you grew up in the Amazon. The poop cleanup sounds like it sucked though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    That sounds messy indeed

I used to have tons of fish earlier including black sharks, goldfish, angels, catfish, elephant nose fish, tigerfish among others. My ~50 gallon tank is now inhabited only by 4 piranhas large enough to chew off my paw if i'm careless
    Yes....your paws will be a small snack to those dudes if you're not careful..

I am definitely a fragrance hoarder. But the rational is there; i adore my vintage and discontinued scents. I try to keep at least 2 backup bottles of scents i truly love. Some i have more of than others; vintage Pavlova as an example, i have 4 back-up bottles of that one.
    I do not see it as a problem, i see it as being wise and knowing i may never have access to my favorites in the future, or at least the formulations i enjoy.
    No guilt or purging for me.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

AromiErotici

When I start a new hobby or exploration, I don't think the original intention comes from a desire to hoard, but it certainly ends up with owning a 'hoard' of things.
    For me, it comes from a desire to explore, learn and understand. I was obsessed with Ottoman Architecture for about 10 years, it started in a Grad school Islamic art history course. Manifested itself in the purchase of numerous books on the subject and then it played out repeated visits to Istanbul. One day I lost interest, not complete interest, but it seemed, at that point, I learned all I wanted to know about it.
    I think I came to fragrance with the same desire, to learn all I could about the art of perfumery, the difference between vintage and new, the different noses, etc.
    The hoarding was the result, not the initial impulse - I had to own as many legendary fragrances as I could find. My real issue is obsessive behavior, but obsessions lead to collections.
    Thank god I don't become obsessed with destructive things.
    Well said bro. You have just glimpsed inside my mind.

You can also make money in a pinch -if you need to-by SELLING some of those bottles of vintage fragrance. There are always people looking for "extinct" items.

Quote Originally Posted by promqueen View Post
    You can also make money in a pinch -if you need to-by SELLING some of those bottles of vintage fragrance. There are always people looking for "extinct" items.
    It is a nice option, isn't it?

Well said bro. You have just glimpsed inside my mind.
    It's fascinating how the process of self teaching requires one setting up their very own institution.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    I've been feeling the same way. I buy too much perfume, wear too little of it, and start to feel anxious when I think about which ones to get rid of, as though I might regret letting go of anything.
    This is *exactly* how I feel.

Though, I've been able to convince myself more recently that there are definitely some scents I can do without for the time being and I'd be willing to offload them, and since there are a few new must-haves on my wishlist, I am trying to make it a point to offload one before I get another.

Basenotes Plus

yep, Hoarder, I admit it.Every hobby I've ever had. In the knitting world we have a label for your collective yarn supplies called SABLE (stash accumulated beyond lifetime expectations) My fragrance hobby is fast becoming SCENT accumulated beyond lifetime expectation, But the perfume bottles actually takes up a lot less room than the yarn does, and I don't have to do anything to it to use it- just enjoy .

AromiErotici

It's fascinating how the process of self teaching requires one setting up their very own institution.
    Yes......those around me would agree that it's most definitely a mental institution.

Blog Entries

Several years ago when my FIL died, my husband found himself the executor-- and I found myself with the job of clearing out his house and selling/consigning/donating the contents. He was in no way an accumulator but even so, the job was exhausting.

It made me think about how I really, really don't want to leave a huge clean-up for my daughter when we die. This is motivating me to get rid of things we aren't using now and to continue doing so as we grow older.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Several years ago when my FIL died, my husband found himself the executor-- and I found myself with the job of clearing out his house and selling/consigning/donating the contents. He was in no way an accumulator but even so, the job was exhausting.

It made me think about how I really, really don't want to leave a huge clean-up for my daughter when we die. This is motivating me to get rid of things we aren't using now and to continue doing so as we grow older.
    My inlaws held a big auction when they downsized into an apt from a bigger home, each member of the family got so much to bid with if they wanted anything. They also do this when members of the family pass away, it's a tradition among the Mennonites. My family fights over everything and I don't want to get involved in that, so I never ask for anything.

Blog Entries

Beachroses, what an interesting tradition! And sensible, too.

I would LOVE to live by this quote by William Morris:

Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.

So I guess I need to think about fragrances in these terms. I seem to find a lot of them beautiful.
    Last edited by Haunani; 19th November 2009 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post

Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.
    This is something i read many, many years ago and have lived by ever since. I give soooo much to Good Will and try to regularly. The only thing i keep backups for are scents and soaps, of course basics in life also.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    This is something i read many, many years ago and have lived by ever since. I give soooo much to Good Will and try to regularly. The only thing i keep backups for are scents and soaps, of course basics in life also.
    What a great way to live! Congrats! I hope to get there someday. I am finding myself with too much stuff lately. Closets from hell, and not enough time to clean them out.

Basenotes Plus

I'm with Ruggles on this. A little obsessive behavior. Was obsessed with a computer game once, spent months on it, read all I could about it. Then it was diamonds, learn a lot about them, offer customers advice on diamond selections (but obviously they are way too costly to collect). Now it's fragrances and I've watched my full bottle wardrobe growing fivefold though I've tried v hard to keep new frags to samples and decants... Wonder what's next?

Yeah I'm a hoarder! I can relate Aromi. One speed---balls to the wall. I usually disappear from BN through most of the summer to ride my bicycle like a madman getting 5000+ miles in, then become a slug in the cooler months and go nuts with frag hunting. I've had so many obsession over the years. I feel part of it's healthy to the point of occupying my time and my brain, but then I way overdo it financially and that's a bad sign. HELP!
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    Yeah I'm a hoarder! I can relate Aromi. One speed---balls to the wall. I usually disappear from BN through most of the summer to ride my bicycle like a madman getting 5000+ miles in, then become a slug in the cooler months and go nuts with frag hunting. I've had so many obsession over the years. I feel part of it's healthy to the point of occupying my time and my brain, but then I way overdo it financially and that's a bad sign. HELP!
    Bro....I know of only one way to excel at any undertaking....and that is to go for it full bore. Yes....it's obsessive and compulsive, but the end result is becoming accomplished at something in a short period of time.

There's downsides to every behavior known to man. Our behavior is sort of like a blessing that's extremely heavy to carry.

Hoarding is bad in financial terms due to compulsive overspending, unless you put some efforts in turning it into a productive activity. That is what I am into. So, sooner or later, this hobby must turn into a business.

In all areas of non-perishable consumption...
    I am an extremely discerning and selective...
    ...HOARDER.

I would say I am a Micro-Hoarder. If I like a fragrance, I buy 3 of 4 bottles. This has served me well, because almost all of my multiple bottle purchases are now discontinued. I do limit my spending, and now it is almost nil due to my finances and the state of the economy. The term hoarding has a negative connotation. In a positive role it is stocking up, preparing.

The day after Pearl Harbor (Dec 7th), my Grandfather went out and bought 300 pounds of Sugar and 20 cases of canned Coffee. He knew what would be coming. The result was he and Grandma had coffee and sugar during WWII. He never sold any of it because he would have been accused of being a hoarder.
    Last edited by greendragon; 28th December 2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Are you a sick person if you know you are hoarding to the point of absurdity and refuse to clean up, despite complaining nonstop about the mess you live in? I am desperate -

reine

Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    Are you a sick person if you know you are hoarding to the point of absurdity and refuse to clean up, despite complaining nonstop about the mess you live in? I am desperate -
    Maybe not sick. It depends on what you mean. A psychological problem like OCD? I think the collecting bug can just get out of hand.

Your choice of language – "desperate" – has prompted me to post because I felt the same way and sometimes still do. Collecting anything can become a real problem if it reaches the point that you get uncomfortable or stressed about it.

From your post it seems that you are referring to hoarding that is not limited to frags. So I'll share a bit in the hopes this may help you or others.

I go through hoarding/purging spurts. Collecting frags is a recent interest, and I am trying to keep them under control. In my younger days the hoarding was really quite bad and it took some time to realize that I was living in a very organized mess. It became very uncomfortable physically and mentally.

If you feel that you live in a mess, consider the following:

A) Why do you hoard or obsessively collect something? For example, is it for 1) "future use"? Realistically, if you haven't used / read / touched it etc. in 6 months to a year, you never will. Really! 2) Collecting for emotional gratification? Things are just things and can't love you back. 3) For memories? Despite Kodak's best advertising, you really don't need all those reminders. Memories are most vivid in your own mind. 4) Are you afraid of a shortage? There will always be more. You might not think so, and it might take a little time, but when you run out a replacement will come your way.

So try to take a step back and look at why you're doing it, and try to address the root problem.

B) Have a vision of how you want the space around you to look like (clutter-free).

C) Start weeding out your spaces to make that vision a reality. Just start with one room. Take a few hours on the weekend and focus on it. Get some big boxes or garbage bags and be ruthless. Once finished for the day either donate it or take it out to the curb immediately. Next weekend, move on to the next space, and then the next. Step by step.

There are plenty of "systems" you can check out. My family was introduced to the Fly Lady site (http://www.flylady.net/index.asp) by a friend. It provides free information on keeping your home clean. I don't actually use this system – a little too compulsive for me – but there are some useful de-cluttering tips (http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingL...luttertips.asp).

We are works in progress. Hope this helps someone out there.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Thank you Bon Vivant for the words of encouragement - I will begin to trash junk one bag at a time this weekend so help me!

reine

So I guess I need to think about fragrances in these terms. I seem to find a lot of them beautiful.
    This meaningful post needs a bump.

I am an "organized mess" type of hoarder.
    It's one reason that I participate here heavily for a few days and then leave for months. I think I average buying a bottle a day during any stretch that I am regularly reading and/or posting here. I, like several others, enter into hobbies with the desire to learn, but acquisition is the inevitable result. Obsessive behavior, indeed. Really, I ought to sell off the excess and stay away from here. Perhaps I will get there eventually.

Thanks for bumping this. I needed to read it.

Regards,
    T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 25th March 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Red face Re: Are You a Hoarder?

I don't think that I'm a true hoarder but lately I've been buying much more than 'normal' because of the 'updates' (read: ruin) of some of my favorites. I'm not sure when stockpiling will change to hoarding.

Before the reforms, I was totally fine with an extra bottle or two tucked away. Now it's developed into this sense of unease...regularly checking eekBay,... sending little 'I'm interested in...Please let me know if' notes to random vintage online sellers.

I've also gotten into more lemmings lately (not as bad as my early MakeupAlley.com days) in hope of finding similar scents..for 'just in case', to bridge the days, & w/ foolish hope of finding something better and more plentiful.

I envy the time where one could have a signature (or even a stable of signatures) and totally relax knowing that they'd be available and still intact.

Recently, I've been thinking about perfume way too much... in a stressful, sweaty, Smeagol-y sort of way...not in my old fun, rhapsodic sense.

I agree completely, both with the William Morris quote and with you about fragrances. If they bring you joy, they're beautiful.

And I recognize the cyclical nature of my own obsessions, as with Ruggles the obsessions almost always are related to something I am trying to understand more deeply. So I end up with "mini-collections" (or not so "mini") and sometimes purge them once I'm done with the learning. (I recently did a purge of the Tarot card collection, it no longer interested me...)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Yes, I spend far too much time and money thinking about, indulging in, and buying fragrance. Whoreder maybe, but not a hoarder.

Oh my, that is bad. . .

Eva Pasco

Guilty as charged for being a "hoarder"...I tend to purchase duplicate shower gel, lotion, and EDP of each fragrance in my stable.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I cannot just buy one bottle - I have to stock up and buy 2 ,sometimes 3 bottles of the same fragrance in case I run out !

OR (don't forget, and ad this to your reasons if you haven't already!) in case it will ever get reformulated!!!
    Last edited by w3pearl; 4th April 2010 at 04:22 PM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
    If I like a fragrance, I buy 3 of 4 bottles.
    Me too. Most often, after a while I discover that I don;t like the scent anymore, or at least, not that much to need more than one bottle. Wasted money.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    Me too. Most often, after a while I discover that I don;t like the scent anymore, or at least, not that much to need more than one bottle. Wasted money.
    But you may be able to resell an unopened frag later at more money if it has been discontinued or reformulated, some folks will pay to have the original in box won't they?

I can be a hoarder when it comes to fragrances. I already have too many for my regular use and it's very hard for me to let go of any of my bottles because I genuienly like all of them and do enjoy using them once in awhile. I've always felt like this way about fragrances. As a result I haven't bought anything for months. I really would like to buy a couple of new scents but I'm fighting the urge--not until I get rid of a few bottles.
    The problem is I find it's hard to sell used bottles and even if you do, it's a complete waste of money (i.e., if they're not super exclusive or vintage and add to that postage, etc.). You might as well give them away to anyone who wants them (I have no one like that) or the the Salvation Army (very likely to happen). My sales thread has alwasy been very unsuccessful. Swapping is also not an option if you're trying to reduce.
    I also used to keep numerous sample vials, many for "reference" purposes. I've reduced those numbers drastically. I enjoy them in one or two shots when I don't know what to wear and have kept only a handful as permanent "reference."
    However, I have definitely stopped blind-buying (what little I ever did) and will only buy stuff that I test several times and I know is unique and very evocative for me.
    This is a hobby and I don't see "collceting" as a big problem. Especially because I was always interested in the packaging and ads and not just the juice. But I can only afford so much money and storage space. Sigh...

Blog Entries

I just finished reading Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things by Randy O. Frost and Gail Steketee-- fascinating reading. I definitely saw some of my own tendencies in there, but thankfully I'm quite not that far gone.

Nevertheless I do need to clear out some accumulated things that none of us needs any more, especially in the basement where everything that isn't dealt with immediately tends to gravitate in our small house.

And having given some of our bookcases to my mother for her new apartment that we moved her to after Dad died last month, I now have laundry baskets full of books with nowhere to put them. A very good time to give some away to the library's ongoing book sale. Some of my perfumes and samples have found a new home as well this week.

One of the hardest things to clear out is art/craft supplies. With a teen who is artistic and who is forever having to make projects for school, I don't dare get rid of the fabric & craft paints, the polymer clay, the papier maché, the pipe cleaners and popsicle sticks and adhesive letters. The brushes, rubber cement, the felt, even the shoeboxes. Especially the shoe boxes-- I've lost track of how many projects she's had that required shoe boxes! I wish I could fling it all!

30 Roses, I know how it is with the art supplies. I studied fine arts and accumulated paints, paper, clippings, etc., etc., etc. There was *always* a use for something - in my head. But realistically I never got around to using half the stuff I saved, if that. Something that really helped me deal with that particular accumulation problem was one of those plastic drawer sets (approx. 4 feet high).

I kept only the things that were too expensive to replace (gold leaf, calligraphy pens), and ditched quite a lot of the remainder. I tossed the Duco Cement (gasp), old mouldering paper, and the tins - the tins! Biscuit tins that were supposed to be so useful for projects and holding *stuff*, but never held anything at all. (Shoeboxes anyone? ) It's really tempting to chuck it all, and realistically you can toss most of it out on the curb.

Suggestions from an artist:

1) Have your aspiring artist sort the stuff herself, whatever she thinks is indispensable and will fit in one of those draw sets or another designated space.
    2) Ditto for paper products: only the cream of the crop that will fit into a large manila envelope.
    3) Save only 3 shoeboxes, of varying sizes.

Old paints separate, dry out, etc. Papier mache will get soggy or musty. Rubber cement is cheap and can be replaced when the time comes. The hassle of having to go out and buy specific supplies when it's time for the project is easier to deal with than the mental and physical burden of saving so much stuff.

Hope this have given you some ideas that might help. And thank you for the book tip! Will have to check it out.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Blog Entries

I like the idea of having her sort through the stuff! She may well have a different take on it than I do, and you are right about its being easy to replace a lot of items, with a Michael's craft store only one town away. Right now the supplies are on different shelves in the basement but consolidating makes sense. Then she wouldn't have to involve me in hunting for specific supplies.