Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Are You a Hoarder?

I've given away some perfumes I never wore - unwanted gifts - and likewise got rid of some samples I knew I'd never like. I'd been keeping them out of concern I might want to sniff the scent when reading about it, but then I thought, hey, if it's a scrubber for me now, why on earth would I want to read about it???
    But some of my favourites scents are in danger, either being discontinued right now or "probably" being discontinued in the near future. Caron's Rose and their Or et Noir; Creed's Fleurs de The Rose Bulgaire; and others I see from The Perfumed Court site are getting very hard to find.
    So I've now ended up with two or three back-up bottles of every fragrance I love - which means about 60 FB's in the back of my clothes wardrobe! So my collection is taking up more space than ever before!
    I don't really think I'm an addict, but would I know if I were?
    To me, this is just being sensible, like my grandmother and my mother did with stocking up on food during World Wars I and II. There is a sort of "world war" going on in the perfume industry right now, with little houses being bought up by huge conglomerates and rare ingredients becoming even harder to find, not to mention the dreadful IFRA regs.
    As long as I can still afford my grocery bill, I'll carry on stocking up on favourites.

That post just made me laugh. I love all of you for being like me. We are all just sensibly hoarding....just in case all perfumes end up being banned altogether..... forbid that thought!
    Currently wearing: Montecristo by Masque

Yes - maybe I can mortgage the garden shed!
    At least my hoard smells nicer than my Mum's. I can remember her pantry having four tins of Spam, 10 of baked beans, and about a dozen tinned peas! Just In Case!

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Oh my god, I so need to re-read this thread right now.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

I don't feel I hoard yet because I don't buy multiple bottles of the same fragrance. Also, I don't have to have various formulations of the same fragrance to be happy. Also, I'm extremely picky about what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I am a hoarder for sure but only of fragrance items.
    Same here.

I used to buy fragrances and beauty products more often than I do now. And I am busy decluttering my home. Sometimes I used to buy 2 bottles of the same fragrance but I stopped doing that. I am trying to use up all those bottles of scent which have still like a 1/2 inch to 1 inch fragrance left inside. My empties which I used to collect are in boxes stored in the garage somewhere.
    I saw somewhere online a series of I think it was 10 pictures depicting stages of hoarding showing a table with stuff on it. Found that quite interesting you can see what stage of hoarding you are at.The internet is full of advice on decluttering I read that to find tips and info for my decluttering of the home.And like someone mentioned in a post get rid of 10 items daily.

I am a hoarder,I constantly buy fragrance and other bath and body products. I used to buy beautiful clothes all the time but I quit smoking gained weight,now hate my image in the mirror. I am trying to weed out the fragrances to those I feel are "timeless" and those that I absolutely love. I am going to take a large box of,fragrance that do not fit that category to the women's shelter here in town.
    Any advice on my situation will be appreciated.

I have to sort out my bath and body products also have been postponing this for some time.
    My makeup I restarted that few years ago starting from scratch all over, I had stopped using it for many years. So now my make up is few years old got to sort that out also.I seldom buy clothes as I am mostly home.

- - - Updated - - -

I buy fragrances by season now so some spring/summer and some fall/autumn perfumes and ad on with leftovers I have lots of.

I work hard at not being a hoarder. I live in a small house and even a small pile of something can fill way too much cupboard space so if something comes in something else has to go out.

I have some questions that I ask myself when I consider buying anything. Do I actually NEED the item? Where will it live? Does it duplicate anything else that I already have?

My other collection is of minerals and gemstones and I have stopped buying large specimens because I simply have no more space for them. I can buy perfume because the bottles are small
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
    Accumulating and gifting is like breathing in/breathing out. I try to just enjoy things while I can and share when I can.
    I just love this. It makes it easier to let go of things, knowing I have to exhale. Even smelling perfumes. The whole act of smelling involves both breathing in and out. Ooo... Sorry, I'm getting all new-age-y on y'all.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    I just love this. It makes it easier to let go of things, knowing I have to exhale. Even smelling perfumes. The whole act of smelling involves both breathing in and out. Ooo... Sorry, I'm getting all new-age-y on y'all.
    Yeah, cut the hippy crap! :-)