Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Done for a while.

No new scents for a few months. I feel I've gone overboard this month. When I'm stressed, I tend to spend. I love perfumes and it's easy to shop for deals and nickle and dime myself way up in the $$$ range. I haven't done any dire damage to my bank account, but it's no small amount and I feel it's best to come out in e-public and say I'm done for a while.

What "a while" means, who knows? But, I'm abstaining from fragrance purchases for the foreseeable future.

How many could I ever possibly use?

Default Re: Done for a while.

I've got to stop, too. After selling a couple of frags I went on a buying spree and have recently gotten:

Armand Basi PH
    LIDGE & Jubilation 25 (this was a great bundle deal tho - couldn't pass it up!)
    and now
    Navegar
    Zino

I really don't like having SO many bottles (up to around 50 now). I feel the need to pare my collection down but I just can't bring myself to part with nearly any of them.

I didn't buy a single perfume for 3 months straight.

I still remained an active member on BN though.

Then of course on the 4th month I bought 6 perfumes lol.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

These websites - Basenotes - Fragrantica - and others ... are of course enablers. But, I have reached a plateau. Looking at my bottles, there are maybe five that I really enjoy, and which will eventually be replaced when they have run out.

Just talking about perfumes, and enjoying the stay on these websites, is nice also. The road of samples or decants (like via The Perfumed Court) is much easier on the wallet. All these items are ONLY things. Like watches, for example, you can do with one every day watch that keeps time and one exquisite watch for special occasions.

In my book, there is no need to hoard 100 or more bottles, just to experience the fragrance. In a life time, they cannot be used up.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Congrats, you made it at least 20+ hours before considering new acquisitions.

I'd keep Play and Bleu though, depending on what else you have in your wardrobe. They are far more wearable than nearly any Montale, and that does count for something.

SculptureofSoul said: "I really don't like having SO many bottles (up to around 50 now). I feel the need to pare my collection down but I just can't bring myself to part with nearly any of them."

Decant 10ml out of the bottles you don't use anymore and sell/trade the balance. This way you have enough to reference, if for no other reason than to remind yourself why you didn't love them or use them in the first place.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I've got to stop, too. After selling a couple of frags I went on a buying spree and have recently gotten:

Armand Basi PH
    LIDGE & Jubilation 25 (this was a great bundle deal tho - couldn't pass it up!)
    and now
    Navegar
    Zino

I really don't like having SO many bottles (up to around 50 now). I feel the need to pare my collection down but I just can't bring myself to part with nearly any of them.
    Zino... dear god. You poor soul. You need HELP!

I moved recently and it was only then I realized how many fragrances and samples I had...it was shocking. Hence I made a pledge: I will only buy a new frag when I use up 3 of my existing bottles. Its been going good so far. Right now I am in session 2 of my fragrance diet and blasting away my bottles of Fleur de Male, Zino Davidoff, and Rive Gauche homme...once these three are done I qualify for a new frag.
    -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I moved recently and it was only then I realized how many fragrances and samples I had...it was shocking. Hence I made a pledge: I will only buy a new frag when I use up 3 of my existing bottles. Its been going good so far. Right now I am in session 2 of my fragrance diet and blasting away my bottles of Fleur de Male, Zino Davidoff, and Rive Gauche homme...once these three are done I qualify for a new frag.
    Moving - that explains it!

Clearly you were busy, as I've missed seeing you here for a while. Glad to have you back!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Moving - that explains it!

Clearly you were busy, as I've missed seeing you here for a while. Glad to have you back!
    Thanks RP - that and the "perfume pledge" - have to get through a bunch of bottles before I am tempted back in via discussions of new seductive juices...
    -

Last month I spent too much.But hey, the months before I only bought decants from splits. So I got them fir a good price. The problem is that even if I just buy ten ml decants I still spend nearly as much on scents. I just get more scents for the same money. So my collection is growing even faster and it becomes more difficult to keep my scents in my rotation. It also takes more and more time to choose the sotd. on the other hqnd I enjoy having the choice. I do use almost all of my frags. however i feel that especially on weekends i spend too much time on tbe internet reading reviews and so on. i should read some good literature instead...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    Last month I spent too much.But hey, the months before I only bought decants from splits. So I got them fir a good price. The problem is that even if I just buy ten ml decants I still spend nearly as much on scents. I just get more scents for the same money. So my collection is growing even faster and it becomes more difficult to keep my scents in my rotation. It also takes more and more time to choose the sotd. on the other hqnd I enjoy having the choice. I do use almost all of my frags. however i feel that especially on weekends i spend too much time on tbe internet reading reviews and so on. i should read some good literature instead...
    You are telling yourself now, "I should" or "I should not" ... you probably will do this for a long span of time until you reach the point where it does not matter any more. Like myself, I have reached a plateau. Scent is nice, but it does not solve the problems of the world, real or imagined.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I feel the same way NieNase. I try to tell myself that I don't need any more but before you know it I have more. It's like someone else is controlling my spending habits, I used to be so frugal....
    Oh Ursula, always the voice of reason. Thank you for keeping us sane!

queen of the universe

Participating in the pass arounds has allowed me to experience both giving and receiving fragrance, at the cost of postage—not too bad! There's also the free to a good home thread in Female Fragrances. I mention this because BN's greatest asset is the generosity of its members. If you're over-purchasing or hoarding, consider this: what you really want is to share your experience in scent, to be validated. So, stop buying, start giving, and see if you don't get a better buzz from that than acquiring.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    You are telling yourself now, "I should" or "I should not" ... you probably will do this for a long span of time until you reach the point where it does not matter any more. Like myself, I have reached a plateau. Scent is nice, but it does not solve the problems of the world, real or imagined.
    Most sage piece of advice heard in a long time. Thank you

Dependent

my list in the bottom i bought in last month an a half......... this needs to stop...... sampling will have to do for now
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Been off of basenotes, fragrantica, badger and blade, straight razor place, and kitchen knifeforums for 6.5 months because last year I spent $7,245 on knives, razors, frags, and fine writing utensils. Now, I know some of you see that number and laugh, but you have to understand that I work as a plain ol cook at a restaurant and make $12/ hour. ANYWAYS. Im baaaack!

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    Been off of basenotes, fragrantica, badger and blade, straight razor place, and kitchen knifeforums for 6.5 months because last year I spent $7,245 on knives, razors, frags, and fine writing utensils. Now, I know some of you see that number and laugh, but you have to understand that I work as a plain ol cook at a restaurant and make $12/ hour. ANYWAYS. Im baaaack!
    I appreciate your self constraint.

Time to catch up?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    No new scents for a few months. I feel I've gone overboard this month. When I'm stressed, I tend to spend. I love perfumes and it's easy to shop for deals and nickle and dime myself way up in the $$$ range. I haven't done any dire damage to my bank account, but it's no small amount and I feel it's best to come out in e-public and say I'm done for a while.

What "a while" means, who knows? But, I'm abstaining from fragrance purchases for the foreseeable future.

How many could I ever possibly use?
    Yeah-- when you start just looking at them, there's a problem. It's the 'buzz' I'd miss though.

Good job! Not really....Just trying to make ya feel good!

Quote Originally Posted by Digindirt View Post
    I try to tell myself that I don't need any more but before you know it I have more.
    Story of my fragrance life.

I don't think I could resist the unexpected bargain new scent for longer than a few days. This week's is a small parfum Gucci 3 for £4 including postage.

Tell me I can still afford to spend that- please?

I can go on for a few, maybe several months without fragrance purchases, but then again, after a while, not even so much the craving, but the curiosity, the openness, even the enthusiasm about a certain fragrance tends to prevail.

treeman5823

I need three more--Beyond Paradise, Bulgari Black, and Le Temps de Une Fete--before I can claim to be done for a while.