Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Are You a Hoarder?

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    OR (don't forget, and ad this to your reasons if you haven't already!) in case it will ever get reformulated!!!
    Yes ,that's true but I can drive myself nuts thinking that way . Luckily, I'm not that far gone ..yet..

I have a habit of going through my mother's huge standing cupboard- it's something I have done for as long as I can remember -from a child till now. She makes me laugh because she'll say ... " don't open it - everything will fall out! " Of course I do ..and yes, everything does fall out- my mother has probably kept everything since 1960 ! So...where do my hoarding tendencies come from I wonder.............
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th April 2010 at 02:22 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Oh my! The best I can do is corner by corner! But I did take 4 huge black trash bags full of old clothes to the charity shop last week - and threw out some more stuff. It's heavy sledding!

reine

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Someone once suggested throwing/giving away 10 things per day, if you need to declutter. I've started doing this.
    You can always get rid of more than 10 things, of course.

Reine, that's great! 4 bags is an excellent start, so keep up the momentum! I sorted through my wardrobe and gave away one bag of clothes last week, and this is a reminder for me to go back and finish the job.

30 Roses, thanks for the tip! The past few days I've taken to wandering into "the office" after dinner. (It's the Black Hole in our home, just sucks everything in.) I started tossing up to five things, and I noticed a difference. I'll have to keep doing this and increase it to 10. The challenge for me is keep up the routine. I read that if you can maintain a new habit for 30 days, it can become a routine that you keep for a lifetime. Here's to de-cluttering success!
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 13th April 2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Strunk & White
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I finally started cleaning out the garage this past weekend, I took three HUGE boxes full of junk to the thrift store. I'm afraid it is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg though, I can barely walk around in there let alone park a car. Well, ya gotta start somewhere, right?

At least I have been able to keep my home clutter free....prolly cuz I threw most of it out into the garage!

Blog Entries

ive thankfully been a cheapish hoarder. i have an obsession personality for sure, im very much aware of it. i collect EVERYTHING, but at some point i reach an apex, and from there i move on to my next obsession. for the longest time it was CDs, im a HUGE music fan. then last fall/winter i got a new obsession: fragrances! luckily, alot of my stuff has been pretty cheap (around half my stuff is $10 or less). my most expensive is actually A*Men for $60. i told myself i was going to stop after i get John Varvatos, but i discovered Marshalls and TJ Maxx (thank god theyre discount stores!) i ended up buying a few things there, nothing TOO expensive thankfully. i ended up buying Le Male 1.3oz for 35$ at Walmart later on, a complete blind buy that i couldnt be happier with. after that i was determined to stop...HAH! i still wanted A*Men so bad so i ended up buying it. i think my obsession has finally reached its peak as i now own the few couple of high quality scents that i'd been wanting all along.

thats what my cure is for obsessions: i let it run its course and eventually it dies. i start slowly, it ends up manifesting full force, i go to clearance, used, etc. (half my CDs are used, most of my fragrances have been on sale) then i just end up moving on

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticcheese View Post
    thats what my cure is for obsessions: i let it run its course and eventually it dies. i start slowly, it ends up manifesting full force, i go to clearance, used, etc. (half my CDs are used, most of my fragrances have been on sale) then i just end up moving on
    THAT is my cure for obsessiont too. The only one that works, actually.

Excesses (in some bad cases- REPEATED excesses) cure obsessions! period!

I've got tired of 85% of my frags at this point. Not too anxious about trying/buying others...
    Last edited by w3pearl; 3rd May 2010 at 01:58 PM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Hmm. Nope, not a hoarder, a collector. A discriminating collector, mind. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

(And I'm totally with those who are frantic, suffering from reformulation angst)

But seriously, two things will help. Reine, are you listening, hon?
    1) Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui by Karen Kingston. Changed my life.
    2) www.storyofstuff.com. But only when you're feeling up to it.

Listen, we are all going to die. Lets think of hoarding perfume to the likes of leaving it for friends and loved ones. You can include exact bottles in your will to those you wish to enrich with your perfume. When I die, I'm going to leave this earth satisfied that my daughter gets all my perfumes. She better wear them and take care of them from sunlight or I'll come back to haunt her!
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Has anyone taken the Myers Briggs Type Inventory profile? I spent a weekend retreat doing this and discovered that I'm an "Intuitive" while my husband is a "Sensory". Intuitives love new possibilities and are always thinking of the next big idea, the next great experience, the next creative project. Sensories tend to stick to the present and what's happening now, and to be attentive to details in the present moment.
    I'd guess that many of us hoarders - yes, I put my hand up to that! - are Intuitives. We're looking for the Next Big Scent, the next HG, the perfect scent at the end of the trail! So we love to get more and more samples, more and more new possibilities. And it's hard to let go of those we already have, because they might come in handy one day, we might one day want to wear that rather weird fragrance we got a month ago, one day we might be in the mood for .... you get the point!
    But if it's not costing more than money - and if you can afford it - where's the harm? My perfume drawer and closet space have been invaded, but by good things, not useless horrors, so I'm OK with buying and hoarding.

Basenotes Institution

Redrose- I have taken the Myers Briggs Profile- INFJ is what I am . What you said feels quite true.

Well, snap! I too am an INFJ! Also an Enneagram Number 4, if you've ever done that - most INFJ's are in this category, so you may well be a no. 4 too. The Romantic Artist is one designation, living by emotion and intuition, and I feel sure that this would apply to many of us perfume lovers. You only have to read some of the beautiful descriptions by reviewers to know this! Not that scientists and thinkers need be left behind, just that they approach things from a more logical angle and probably wouldn't hoard. My husband is so well organized he actually knows where all his paperwork is at any given time. I have to keep my perfume drawer off limits as otherwise he would probably organize that too. Both our daughers are hoarders!

Basenotes Institution

Hmmm... it's very interesting Redrose ! I betcha I am a 4 with the Enneagram numbers - I will take the test one of these days as I'm curious. My husband is the complete opposite- he's all 100 % a scientist and organised like your husband . He thinks I am very funny with all my perfumes . He knows when I am dreaming of perfume or off in Cloud La La Land when I am listening to music. *LOL*

I am also an INFJ! We are like 1% of the population or some crazy small number like that. But it doesn't surprise me to find many on BN.

I have a little over 100 bottles. I would like to take that down to 15 or 20. But every time i try to figure out which ones i would keep, its way lmore than 20. And then of course, i have those "ones" that i will never wear. So, do i have a problem? NO. I have 2 or 3 problems.

DeepSilence

I like to stock fragrances that i doubt to find them another time.

I've always been a collector. Often, the enthusiasm leads to obsession and sometimes to hoarding. But plants die, sculpture gets covered in dust, and eventually you have to drink all that wine or it goes bad

Oh yes, there's coins and stamps and books and a whole lot more... and they're all interesting while you're learning about them, searching for them, and compling lists of them.

However, there are a few things about collecting fragrance that I particularly enjoy:

1. There is a huge, but not endless variety. There's a lot of places you can find them for sale, both new and used.

2. You can sniff them alone, or wear them outside. You can share them with friends, or make new combinations.

3. The bottles are compact, easy to store, and often very beautiful. The juice is not easily spoiled.

4. Many are inexpensive, especially secondhand. Even if you are poor or cheap, there's plenty to find and buy.

Of course, there's a lot more that I could say... but I won't obsess

I am an irrepressible hoarder. I just like to learn about something to the enth degree and then need all the equipment for that. Then I have the intention to make a marvellous business out of it..... nearly finish, then I find a new interest and do it with that too.... and so it goes on...

Art stuff, sewing stuff, books, wines, jams, perfumes and more perfumes.... there is no end. We shall drown in stuff. I'm then so busy doing the new thing, I haven't got the time to sort the last interests out, so then it gets in a jumble... and that goes on...

My poor children when I peg it.... The only thing is they will never be short of money if they can be bothered to sell it all, but they are so badly trained by me, they will have too much clutter of their own. At least I can't gather any more things when I'm underground.... oh yes I can.... I shall collect worms.

I did just get help tidying out over 30 jars of older jams out of the cupboard.... now if that was possible, breakfast can bring new hope after all.... just got to get rid of the empty jars first ... but... they may be useful for paint jars or new jams or tinctures.... there is very little hope for me ever to be tidy and minimalist ....

however messy... I am very creative....and my children... they won't remember me for tidying up and dusting, but they will for all the arty things I do with them... and we're never short of what to make anything with... I have everything!

Yup! Since oakmoss has taken such a hit with the new regs, I buy & hoard anything that I can find on the internet that has lots & lots of oakmoss. Otherwise, if I tire of a scent and still have a partial bottle, I give it away to someone I feel will appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Several years ago when my FIL died, my husband found himself the executor-- and I found myself with the job of clearing out his house and selling/consigning/donating the contents. He was in no way an accumulator but even so, the job was exhausting.

It made me think about how I really, really don't want to leave a huge clean-up for my daughter when we die. This is motivating me to get rid of things we aren't using now and to continue doing so as we grow older.
    Yeah, I feel the exact same way, 30 Roses! My mother is a horrible hoarder. Not as bad as some I see on those television shows (like "Hoarders: Buried Alive."), but bad enough to when I go to her house, I WANT TO CLEAN!

And it's always, "No! Keep that!" "But, Mom, it doesn't even fit you anymore." "Maybe you can have it!" "I don't want it!" "Maybe your children will want it!" And at that point, I'd give up, because one could go for *generations* with that argument.

I too am a hoarder, and it's irritating. Every now and then I do a purge.

Even perfumes. I guess that's why I love Basenotes so much. Y'see, I once sent a sample to my godsister of a perfume I adore, and she called it "L'eau de Homeless." That's our running gag now for "Do not send me any more perfume!" I love her.

Anyway, I can't count on giving any of my treasured perfumes to family if I were to pass away. So I only keep the ones I truly love. And I find that if I only "like" them, Basenotes allows me to find someone I know "loves" them. So it's not as if they're going somewhere unloved.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Aiona, I'm going through my file cabinets now and decluttering paper (it's amazing what's in there-- exactly why do I still have expired PT licenses, juror summonses and old car insurance certificates from the early 2000s?)

The problem is we bring in new "stuff" (any stuff--perfume, clothes, paper, whatever!) without getting rid of any of the old stuff. So of course it just grows.

This is tricky. It's one thing to throw out expired documents when new ones come in the mail, but not likely that we will get rid of beloved perfumes just because we gain a new love. (We don't get rid of our first child when we have a second one!)

I'm trying to hold things with a lighter hand-- share more, and recognize when something I once loved is no longer providing enough pleasure to justify its presence in my home. We have a ton of books, but even those are being thinned down. As for perfumes, decanting for others to try a perfume is one way to reduce what we have without losing the perfume entirely.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 29th March 2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo

I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread. Like many of you, I enter into a hobby and get obsessed with wanting to master the subject matter. I used to spend a fortune on books. Finally ran out of shelf space, realized I was unlikely to read most of them more than once because there's always another book that's just been released that I want to read right now, and so I relearned my childhood lesson about using library system. In my 20's I went through a record/cd collecting phase but ultimately stopped because I ran out of space and was neglecting records previously purchased because I wanted to listen to the new hot release. So much was being released it was impossible to keep up! I now use a subscription to Napster to fulfill that particular lemming. My shelves are rapidly filling up with perfume now and I feel guilty about neglecting some of the decants I bought a year ago in favor of new ones that have just arrived. The number of new releases is staggering AND I got bitten by the vintage bug, which is a great big black hole in terms of money. The majority of my collection are decants, which long ago outgrew the drawer I had them in but I have too many bottles and too many samples as well. The only backups I have are of a limited number of vintage scents because formulations/years can make them smell quite different from each other. Trying to set up multiple swaps in which I swap away several items for one that I really want. I've also been reaching out to newbies and offering them generous samples from my stash hoping that I can reduce while helping them with their perfume education in a way that doesn't cost them money. I spent a small fortune on samples when I initially got bit by the niche perfume bug. Really appreciate Mr. Bon Vivant's post. I had forgotten about the Fly Lady website and just bookmarked it. Living with clutter stresses me out but taming it is physically overwhelming on most days. Good to get some advice/support on how to do it in small bites.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, because it's really helped me! Especially Aiona, and the suggestion to keep only the perfumes we truly love, not just like. My collection has been growing exponentially, basically through trying to find the "ideal" rose scent, which I now realize does not exist - just a series of really excellent scents many of which are truly lovely and which fit different moods, weather, etc. But I have a problem with reformulations - it's so frustrating when something you love and have counted on always being able to get hold of just disappears, even when the replacement has the same name! So where do I draw the line with buying backups? Surely it makes sense these days, when even Chanel No 5 is so different from the original? So I'm going through my collection, just keeping the ones I truly love, and giving away the likeable also-rans. I don't want my kids to have that problem after I'm gone! And neither of them really likes florals anyway!

Fragonard Grasse Rose.... the most beautiful of all roses. You need just one more to add to the hoard.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Hmm. Nope, not a hoarder, a collector. A discriminating collector, mind. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    I agree with this. Being a collector of things you love and which has value to you is not the same as hoarding--which is quite literally not being able to let go of anything, be it trash or treasure. I don't have terrible anxiety getting rid of excess bottles--I usually have more anxiousness when I purchase, "Do I really need more perfume/fancy soap/makeup?"
    Well, no--it's a luxury, I don't really need any of it. But it's a small joy for me, and I indulge when I can!

If you feel you have too much or that your collection is out-of-control, then the anxiety outstrips the joy. That's no way to live! I guess it's something we each have to work out for ourselves and our own comfort level.

I had a nice time gifting excess beauty/perfume/bath & body items recently to a friend who hasn't treated herself to such luxuries lately. I also gave a load of these items to an occupational therapist who ran a daily grooming group at a psychiatric ward in my city.

Growing up, I had four very girly older sisters, so things got used up much more quickly---and were often purloined from one another-- when they were teenaged and I was a little girl.

Accumulating and gifting is like breathing in/breathing out. I try to just enjoy things while I can and share when I can.

I've been lurking for some time and it's probably telling that the first post I make is to this thread! My interests tend to be come obsessions. They'll last for a while and fade. I'll tend to purge at some point then feel real regret about some items.

But my three constant interests that have been obsessions at some point, and still occupy my time is handbags, reading and finding my "favorite" scent.

I have been through stained glass, soapmaking, crochet, embroidery, jewelry making (I do still indulge in this once in a blue moon)... it goes on and on.

Just when I thought I had the perfect scent for me, my body chemistry seemed to change and it smelled like cat urine! Still couldn't part with it until very recently. Gave it to a cousin of mine who loved it and it smelled on her the way it used to smell on me!

So now, I'm back to square one looking for my ideal. I'm sure that doesn't exist and will keep me interested for some time to come. The closest I've found at this point - and I do love it as it works beautifully on me - is Coco. For now

Nice to meet you all!

Hello fellow fragrance addicts and hoarders.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, but I definitely don't want therapy or a cure.

I'm a fragrance addict. It started when I was a little girl of 4 years old when my mother would put drops of Estee Lauder's Youth Dew perfume oil in my bath water. Yes... it was the devilish DEW that started my fascination with perfumes. Later as a teen I would have gifts of perfume for birthdays, holidays which only served to reinforce my fragrance addiction as an adult.

Even now my shoe addiction comes second to my fragrance addiction.

The list of perfumes in my wardrobe is only a fraction of the perfumes I own, tried, sampled, tested, owned, over the years. There are some I can't add because they are not in the fragrance directory.

I only buy perfumes I like, I definitely don't buy or wear a fragrance that's the most popular and I avoid the perfume pushers in department stores because I know more about the scents I like to wear than they do.

I also have a skin allergy to some fragrances, but when that happens... like a true addict - the burn, although bothersome doesn't discourage me at all, I wear it anyhow. Je Reviens by Worth is one of those fragrances, one spray gives me a reaction like a poison ivy rash - but... like the true addict I am - I forced the entire bottle on my chemistry.

I buy fragrances often. I am also addicted to collecting scented candles. Fragrance really rules a lot of my life.

Today I'm wearing "Life Threads - Emerald" by La Prairie. I'm noticing a recent trend in my preferences as I've been buying lily based florals...

And because I'm an addict - I have no idea why.

Signed,

Scentsamillion
    ôSo many fragrances...So little time"

Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
    Accumulating and gifting is like breathing in/breathing out.
    I love that.

I just recently gave away A TON of baby clothes I didn't need anymore. I could only do that because my mother isn't here. Back when she was helping me take care of baby, I told her I was going to give away some baby clothes, and she goes, "No! SAVE THEM!" But they don't fit anymore, I explained. "They're still good!"

I understand a little bit of her mentality. They're cute. They're of sentimental value. BUT I DON'T NEED THEM. And I am running out of space for the clothes we are using NOW.

I watched another episode of a hoarding show last week, and what struck me was what the "therapist" said, "You need to stop living in the future." Enjoy the now. And all that kind of stuff. I understand, if one had come from a time when things were scarce, and money was tight, it was imperative to hold on to things that one might need.

But, example, I used to keep a big bucket of scraps to someday make a quilt. Well. . . there was a time when I actually tried to quilt a small pillow. Granted, I chose a really difficult design for me -- one of those Q-bert block-like designs. COULD NOT FINISH IT. It was damn hard! And time was limited. That project is somewhere hidden in piles of stuff that I've moved from my other house 3000 miles away. Even if I found it, I *KNOW* I am not going to finish it.

And neither will I finish using any of my other quilt scraps.

I looked into Free Cycle a while back, but even saving up to make a Free Cycle exchange takes up time and space -- both hot commodities for me right now.

Anyway, I love that quote, unregistered.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I am definitely a fragrance hoarder. But the rational is there; i adore my vintage and discontinued scents. I try to keep at least 2 backup bottles of scents i truly love. Some i have more of than others; vintage Pavlova as an example, i have 4 back-up bottles of that one.
    I do not see it as a problem, i see it as being wise and knowing i may never have access to my favorites in the future, or at least the formulations i enjoy.
    No guilt or purging for me.
    I don't have a large large collection but I agree with this ^^^Once they're gone, they're gone.
    I mean my liking a perfume is basically the kiss of death for its continuation for some reason. I am now hoarding, for lack of a better term, NR Musc oil for her, because I adore it and I am blowing through bottles of it (it is rather subtle). Half the world is anosmic to it, I think. So there's my rational, anyway...

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I've given away some perfumes I never wore - unwanted gifts - and likewise got rid of some samples I knew I'd never like. I'd been keeping them out of concern I might want to sniff the scent when reading about it, but then I thought, hey, if it's a scrubber for me now, why on earth would I want to read about it???
    But some of my favourites scents are in danger, either being discontinued right now or "probably" being discontinued in the near future. Caron's Rose and their Or et Noir; Creed's Fleurs de The Rose Bulgaire; and others I see from The Perfumed Court site are getting very hard to find.
    So I've now ended up with two or three back-up bottles of every fragrance I love - which means about 60 FB's in the back of my clothes wardrobe! So my collection is taking up more space than ever before!
    I don't really think I'm an addict, but would I know if I were?
    To me, this is just being sensible, like my grandmother and my mother did with stocking up on food during World Wars I and II. There is a sort of "world war" going on in the perfume industry right now, with little houses being bought up by huge conglomerates and rare ingredients becoming even harder to find, not to mention the dreadful IFRA regs.
    As long as I can still afford my grocery bill, I'll carry on stocking up on favourites.

That post just made me laugh. I love all of you for being like me. We are all just sensibly hoarding....just in case all perfumes end up being banned altogether..... forbid that thought!

Yes - maybe I can mortgage the garden shed!
    At least my hoard smells nicer than my Mum's. I can remember her pantry having four tins of Spam, 10 of baked beans, and about a dozen tinned peas! Just In Case!

Oh my god, I so need to re-read this thread right now.

I don't feel I hoard yet because I don't buy multiple bottles of the same fragrance. Also, I don't have to have various formulations of the same fragrance to be happy. Also, I'm extremely picky about what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I am a hoarder for sure but only of fragrance items.
    Same here.

I used to buy fragrances and beauty products more often than I do now. And I am busy decluttering my home. Sometimes I used to buy 2 bottles of the same fragrance but I stopped doing that. I am trying to use up all those bottles of scent which have still like a 1/2 inch to 1 inch fragrance left inside. My empties which I used to collect are in boxes stored in the garage somewhere.
    I saw somewhere online a series of I think it was 10 pictures depicting stages of hoarding showing a table with stuff on it. Found that quite interesting you can see what stage of hoarding you are at.The internet is full of advice on decluttering I read that to find tips and info for my decluttering of the home.And like someone mentioned in a post get rid of 10 items daily.

I am a hoarder,I constantly buy fragrance and other bath and body products. I used to buy beautiful clothes all the time but I quit smoking gained weight,now hate my image in the mirror. I am trying to weed out the fragrances to those I feel are "timeless" and those that I absolutely love. I am going to take a large box of,fragrance that do not fit that category to the women's shelter here in town.
    Any advice on my situation will be appreciated.

I have to sort out my bath and body products also have been postponing this for some time.
    My makeup I restarted that few years ago starting from scratch all over, I had stopped using it for many years. So now my make up is few years old got to sort that out also.I seldom buy clothes as I am mostly home.

- - - Updated - - -

I buy fragrances by season now so some spring/summer and some fall/autumn perfumes and ad on with leftovers I have lots of.

I work hard at not being a hoarder. I live in a small house and even a small pile of something can fill way too much cupboard space so if something comes in something else has to go out.

I have some questions that I ask myself when I consider buying anything. Do I actually NEED the item? Where will it live? Does it duplicate anything else that I already have?

My other collection is of minerals and gemstones and I have stopped buying large specimens because I simply have no more space for them. I can buy perfume because the bottles are small
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
    Accumulating and gifting is like breathing in/breathing out. I try to just enjoy things while I can and share when I can.
    I just love this. It makes it easier to let go of things, knowing I have to exhale. Even smelling perfumes. The whole act of smelling involves both breathing in and out. Ooo... Sorry, I'm getting all new-age-y on y'all.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    I just love this. It makes it easier to let go of things, knowing I have to exhale. Even smelling perfumes. The whole act of smelling involves both breathing in and out. Ooo... Sorry, I'm getting all new-age-y on y'all.
    Yeah, cut the hippy crap! :-)