Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Mini Reviews of the Free Samples from you kind BNers!

Ok, so not very long ago, A thread was started with a few very generous Basenoters were giving away free samples to n00bs, Being the N00b Fume head that I am, I instantly signed up.

So the samples just arrived yesterday, a small package from a dude from Sinking Spring. :P

those glorious 1ml vials of great designer stuff and a niche and two got me extremely excited. I'm gonna put my impressions here to share my thoughts, and keep tabs for my full review when I've given them Atleast two samplings.

Eau Sauvage : What Can I say that haven't been said already? It a nice citrus scent that feels very Timeless. doesn't last very long, but I Wouldn't mind owning a bottle or atleast a decant of this.

B*Men : I Had the impression that this would strictly be A*Men without the Chocolate, I was wrong, the top was a lovely sweet gourmandish type scent that I can't put my finger on, It must be cherry... the middle is very woody and spicy, almost peppery, It has some similarities to Dirty english, but a lot more toned down, the Drydown is mostly Patchouli that still goes strong, I love the progression on this, It's like wearing Three Linear scents spread throughout the day.

John Varvatos : Original : It's funny how this smells nothing "exactly" like I've smelled before, but very familiar at the same time. A Very sweet and creamy scent that should go well on night outs and colder days, I can understand how girls might dig this stuff.

Geir Ness : A nice, Soapy, Airy, Clean scent, that I feel I've smelled before, Claiborne Sport? Davidoff Echo? Not too sure, I'd get it If I didn't have enough of these types of scents.

Terre D'Hermes : Ok, so this isn't completely what I had in mind it was, I had a sample of this from another BNer before, and I wasn't entirely sure it was TdH since it wasn't labeled, and Only a mention that he "might" include TdH in there along with other samples, so I can't be sure, but the sample I got now was completely different from what I first tried. It has cinnamon in the middle, almost reminiscent from that of Dunhill Edition, Maybe some thing else got into the vial while decanting, or my nose is playing tricks on me, I'm confuzzled, I should get another sample of this..

Himalaya : Ok, My first creed... Initial reaction, "That's it?" It does smell good, Pleasant at most, For a small collection, sure, but for larger collections/wardrobes, I don't see how this can bring anything new and different to a large bunch of other bottles.. I Should try and give this a full wearing and see if that changes my mind..

Kiton Black : I couldn't stop myself from atleast giving it a small whiff, My first impression was, "OMG, This smells soooooooo goooood" . I can't wait to try it fully and put my impressions in here.
    Last edited by TimothyX; 18th November 2009 at 05:58 AM.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Mini Reviews of the Free Samples from you kind BNers!

Kiton Black is great stuff, I'm strongly thinking about getting a bottle - however I want to try and swap / sell some of mine first.

If you wernt blown away by Himalya try Paco Rabanne XS - similar but with alot better strength and longevity.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a sample of XS and I plan to do a comparison of both, I'm still undecided If I like either Himalaya or XS for what they are to get a full bottle of either, but we'll see.

I Actually haven't sample Kiton black, but I opened it and half a drop went to the tip of my fingers, thought it smelled really really nice. Can't wait to sniff it in its full glory.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

U know why John Varvatos is familiar ? Coz it has tamarind in it
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I like John Varvatos...and like you said it smells different yet feels familiar. My fiancee likes it on me.

I'm hoping to sample some B*Men. And that Kiton Black sounds interesting...

I hope to sample B*Men now that you mention you get a whiff of dirty english, which i like
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for sharing your thoughts Tim! Bners sure do spoil us like brats

btw, if you liked John Varvatos, you would definitely "love" Cacharel Nemo. Xmen has this rare/discontinued gem at a very low price.

Kiton Black is indeed a piece of work and definitely acquired taste, which you obviously have

Terre dHermes is a Tough freind to make.. it's not a "commercial" scent..in that, it doesnt try to please you with sweet notes..i too hated it at first..i felt as if i was in middle of a desert under the sun...slowly, but steadily i started liking it..give it sometime; try wearing it as a sotd...im sure it'll grow on you..

B*Men - i liked it at first...but it pales in comparison with A*men...B*men is all about top notes..what follows is somethin mediocre..

i like Himalaya and Eau Suavage too..!! you may want to sample Geir and Homme De Gres respectively if you like those kinda scents...

Post Thanks / Like

Kiton Black doesn't smell very black to my nose. It smells sort of like Creed Green Valley plus leather. It's nice though!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

Your review of John Varvatos : Original is spot on. I could not have said it any better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Thanx for sharing your thoughts Tim! Bners sure do spoil us like brats

btw, if you liked John Varvatos, you would definitely "love" Cacharel Nemo. Xmen has this rare/discontinued gem at a very low price.

Kiton Black is indeed a piece of work and definitely acquired taste, which you obviously have

Terre dHermes is a Tough freind to make.. it's not a "commercial" scent..in that, it doesnt try to please you with sweet notes..i too hated it at first..i felt as if i was in middle of a desert under the sun...slowly, but steadily i started liking it..give it sometime; try wearing it as a sotd...im sure it'll grow on you..

B*Men - i liked it at first...but it pales in comparison with A*men...B*men is all about top notes..what follows is somethin mediocre..

i like Himalaya and Eau Suavage too..!! you may want to sample Geir and Homme De Gres respectively if you like those kinda scents...
    You really think so? I've been eying that bottle of Nemo for a while now, but been thinking about it since after some couple dozen of blind buys, I'd like to sample a bit before pulling the trigger. How's the quality/longevity/sillage of Nemo compared to John Varvatos?

I just sampled Ferragamo, F Black now, and It's closer to TdH than the TdH that I just sampled. I Think I should source another sample for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Kiton Black doesn't smell very black to my nose. It smells sort of like Creed Green Valley plus leather. It's nice though!
    Personally, for bands, artists, movies, etc. I don't really care who's behind the music, Who the star is dating, What the history of the movie's title is, etc. I just enjoy what it is, and that's pretty much how I look at frags. The House that makes the frags, it's name, it's history, etc. doesn't really interest me, I'm all about the juice. maybe a bit for the bottle too, but that's another story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speed00kills View Post
    I hope to sample B*Men now that you mention you get a whiff of dirty english, which i like
    Yup, It's there for about 1/4 of the time. I Could be wrong, but It wouldn't hurt to sample.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really love Eau Sauvage as well.

"Timeless" is a very good descriptor.