Code of Conduct

Default The Sultans - Part 1

The Sultan’s Part 1 -

Le Labo Rose -
    Both mikeperez23 & snafoo introduced me to Le Labo Rose 31. That’s a big deal for me because I’ve tried quite a few rose based and heavy scents
    and absolutely detested every single one.

Rose 31, however, is a completely different story - I’m crazy about the gaiac wood, amber, oud and vetiver in this one. I’m a convert.
    Smooth as silk to me.

Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier -
    Having never tried the original Habit Rouge I had no idea what to expect. Snafoo gifted me with a generous sample so off I went.
    I really like the pepper note of this one found at the beginning and I definitely pickup the carnation note fairly strongly.
    The drydown comes across as a cinnamon rose on my skin with pepper peeking through from time to time still.
    It’s a tad unusual . . . . but I will have this one.

Comme des Garçons Parfum -
    Mikeperez23 sent along a good sized sample of CdG edp and I’m grateful for it. On my skin It seems to be a competitor of
    Beau Cavalier - to a point. The Geranium stands out prominently in the beginning but settles down to a cinnamon sandalwood.
    I’m having a tough time choosing this or the Habit Rouge. Something else to obsess over. Maybe it’s the honey tinge in the drydown
    that’s throwing me a curve.

Maxim’s pour Homme -
    Straight from Aromi Erotici came this one. It took one test and I sent off an order to scarf up 200 ml. That musky leathery drydown just
    trips my trigger. Hadda have it. Thank you sir for introducing me to her - I owe ya.

Iris Pallida by L’Artisan Parfumeur -
    All I can say is WHOA, hold up. The Iris, the violet, the patchouli, the cedar, the vetiver just ALL come out at once.
    A TOTAL olfactory overload & not in a good way on first test. I know it’s supposedly intended as a femme scent but I just CANNOT handle this.
    Not now anyway. Hits me right in the face with both feet, proceeds to dance a jig then kicks my azz to boot. Wear heels next time will ya, might
    make it more interesting, cause I will try again. I need to man up or somethin for this one.

More to come after more multiple tests . . . . Thanks to the three of you.

PS : Beau Cavalier just won the CdG comparison while I was drafting this.
    Last edited by SoGent; 19th November 2009 at 02:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Sultans - Part 1

Great reviews!

I'm a sucker for carnation and pepper, so I'll have to make it a point to test the Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier. Does it have the musky civet in the base, like the original HR? That's what turns me off about that one.

Also, I'd personally request you put your thoughts in the Sample Of The Day thread - that way us samlpaholics can get all our sample reviews in one place...

Mmmm.... peppery carnation... [drool]
    Last edited by rogalal; 19th November 2009 at 03:41 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

The CdG smells like some sort of import/export store to me. There's a candle wax type of thing going on too, and of course the honey. I liked it at one time, but I seem to be moving in the direction of subtler and simpler frags these days.

Blog Entries

I'm going to have to try Rose 31. Your review has me sold.

As for Iris Pallida - I also got a sample of that rare bird thanks to Snafoo, and I have to admit that I think it's awesome. You're right - it's a kick-butt iris scent. My wife thinks it's pretty femme, but it strikes me as unisex. GREAT scent, IMO. I love the L'Artisan vibe. But the price....

Great reviews SoGent. Isn't Rose 31 great? I too, pretty much hate everything rose, except for Rose 31. IMO it is THE most masculine interpretation of rose, AND the best use of cumin to boot!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Is Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier the HR EDC?

They gave you a pretty awesome cross section of scents! I'm excited to see what other goodies you received!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Wow, Iris Pallida sounds like something I'd like with the Violet and Vetiver face smacking action. >=D I just might give that a whirl
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Is Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier the HR EDC?

They gave you a pretty awesome cross section of scents! I'm excited to see what other goodies you received!
    It was a boatload of stuff. All 3 were generous.
    I'm not sure on the EDC but will check on it.

excellent reviews SG!

i alwasy miss on sampling CDG edp...all this talk of it;s similarity with gucci ph..and thn the wax note..and thn thr cardboard accord...hmmm..smells like somethin i would cherish

need to sample Rose 31 too...i had sampled it from vial when i was very new to basenotes..need to spray test it...

once again, Thnx for sharing your thoughts!

Dependent

Nice reviews! I love Maxim's too!

I'll be putting the Rose 31 on my to-try list, sounds gorgeous!
    Last edited by MFJ; 19th November 2009 at 06:32 PM.