Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In the shadow of Havana - The other Gentlemen

There's been numerous threads about Havana, and its recent reformulation. But what's been ignored is the other 5 gentlemen standing in its shadow. I firmly believe that this recent collection is the biggest event to happen in men's fragrance in the last 25 years. Call me crazy, but you can not go wrong with any of these juices. Want an oriental? Try JHL. Want a fougere? Try Tuscany. Want an aromatic tobacco? Get Havana. Want a chypre? Try Devin or 900. One could easily purchase all 6 and be set for life. Tommy Ford looks at his own Private blends and wishes his lineup was as strong as Aramis'.

I recently had the chance to smell all on tester strips at Bloomingdales. To my nose; 900, New West and Tuscany remain unchanged. Wider distribution of 900 is a welcome change as its limited distribution at Bloomies was disappointing considering its classic status in my book. The original New West still remains available at Ulta but to my nose the new one smells the same although I've had limited experience with it so maybe others can fill me in on any differences. One wonders why they re-released Tuscany as its readily available for a good price online (last I checked, it was going for for $16/50 ml at Perfumania). However, Devin & JHL warrant a closer look.

To my untrained nose, they smell different. Bloomies still carry the classic JHL so I had the chance to smell both at the same time (when was the last time you had to chance to buy the original or the new one?). The original carries more of a boozey and aldehydic aroma. But the drydowns remain pretty much the same. Again, your comments are welcome as to the differences in JHL

Devin always reminded me of a sweeter Z-14, but this version seems more sweeter than the original. I actually prefer the newer version.

Needless to say, I can't think of any other men's frags that warrant a blind buy than these. Aramis have done us a favor, and it's up to you to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
    Last edited by manicboy; 20th November 2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling, not to be confused with Tori which is not to be confused with Tories though I'm neither
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: In the shadow of Havana - The other Gentlemen

manicboy, I am glad that you have made this appreciation thread to the Aramis classics, and it would be interesting to see other Basenoters' opinions on the old versus the new formulations.

The Gentleman's Collection is a convenient way to explore these wonderful male fragrances and I can only hope it will inspire the younger generation to take a look into them. Once they do some testing, I am sure most of them will come to the conclusion that these classics have more soul than many of the faceless fragrances released these days could ever have.
    Last edited by Mindbrain; 20th November 2009 at 05:05 AM.

I tried 900 and the original Aramis before I really could appreciate such scents and they appalled me. I'd like to try them again. As far as Havana goes I loved the original but the new version is missing something, a certain smoothness. I'm hoping it's just due to aging but I doubt it. I have an original Tuscany which possesses the same smoothness as the original Havana sample I have and I almost enjoy Tuscany more than the new Havana due to that. But I guess it's like Cool Water versus GIT, it's good enough considering the price. And it's still a unique scent although I don't love the new Havana like I do the original.

Post Thanks / Like

Both Devin and 900 in the older style bottles are readily available here where I live. As far as I know these are still in production. Does anyone know if Aramis are going to discontinue the older style bottles and go only with the new ones in the Gentlemen's Collection? I'm debating whether to pick up additional older style bottles of these or just get the newer ones later if I need them.

noggs

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interesting post, manicboy.

Flankers aside, 6 great frags out of 6 is not a bad achievement. Aramis/Estee Lauder deserve a lot more respect, IMO. Aramis, the frag, can be said to have been a mile-stone for a generation of frag-lovers like myself.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

I Wish they all came in like, 30-50ml so It'd be cheaper to buy them all in one fell swoop. :\
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I would be all over these if only they were available in The Netherlands.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Aramis is all-deserving of the praises (sometimes lack of) it gets. I can't comment on the newer scents, since I've only tried Life, and was not too impressed, but their classics are top notch, and reek of quality. I like the fact they decided to reissue the classics, when they could easily have followed the footsteps of many designer houses in continuing to pump out "safe" scents, or worse - exclusif range of mediocre scents! This speaks volumes of their intentions and shows that they take pride in what they are good at, and want more people to experience their quality by re-marketing(the classics) more extensively, offering great scents (mostly unchanged even after reformulation) at affordable prices. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by MFJ; 20th November 2009 at 07:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I Wonder if anyone here has the complete line, and wouldn't mind sharing (or selling) 5-10ml decants of each.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what's been said about Havana (original) and Havana Reserva, as those are the only Aramis scents I've tried. They are of very high quality and solidly constructed for sure.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

The original Aramis is a milestone fragrance. If it was a Malle or Lutens release people would gladly fork out 3 times the current asking price, as is the case with Azzaro pour Homme or similarly outstanding designer frags,
    Last edited by jathanas; 20th November 2009 at 09:54 AM.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You make good points manicboy. There isn't a loser in the Aramis re-release bunch. And they are definitely bargain priced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    There's been numerous threads about Havana, and its recent reformulation. But what's been ignored is the other 5 gentlemen standing in its shadow. I firmly believe that this recent collection is the biggest event to happen in men's fragrance in the last 25 years. Call my crazy, but you can not go wrong with any of these juices. Want an oriental? Try JHL. Want a fougere? Try Tuscany. Want an aromatic tobacco? Get Havana. Want a chypre? Try Devin or 900. One could easily purchase all 6 and be set for life. Tommy Ford looks at his own Private blends and wishes his lineup was as strong as Aramis'...
    ...Needless to say, I can't think of any other men's frags that warrant a blind buy than these. Aramis have done us a favor, and it's up to you to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
    Great post manicboy!...I could not agree more.

I think it takes real vision and chutzpah to continue to market these classics in innovative ways like the Gentleman's Collection. Aramis has built up this line over many many years, and they've always been dedicated to a very bold, unique, and uncompromising aesthetic to the point where their fragrances have come to define an entire segment of perfumery. I love Aramis fragrances, I frequently wear JHL and 900, and they are both among my absolute favorite frags period. Aramis is definitely "keeping it real", and they should be celebrated for that.
    Last edited by arlecchino; 20th November 2009 at 02:05 PM.
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Aramis is excellent quality for money. JHL is on its way to my wardrobe...

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Both Devin and 900 in the older style bottles are readily available here where I live. As far as I know these are still in production. Does anyone know if Aramis are going to discontinue the older style bottles and go only with the new ones in the Gentlemen's Collection? I'm debating whether to pick up additional older style bottles of these or just get the newer ones later if I need them.

noggs
    As far as the adverts went in this part of the world, the older bottles will be discontinued to make place for the new. How true that is only time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

I only recently started accumulating Aramis fragrances. I was very excited about Havana from all the hoopla here on basenotes, so I bought it and I do enjoy it very much, but 900 is my favorite with Devin and Tuscany are second and third respectively. I haven't tried JHL or New West. I respect the original Aramis, but it's probably my least favorite of the lot of them I've tried so far.

As far as the possibility of reformulation, I have no idea. I own old bottles of Devin, Tuscany, and 900 and a new bottle of Havana. Hmm. I guess it is interesting that the one I have a new bottle of is the one I would place last in terms of preference. I'll be interested to hear others' ideas about this line and comparisons between the new and old bottles. Great thread, BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: In the shadow of Havana - The other Gentlemen

Aramis has been flying under the radar for years now. Maybe these relaunches will shed a new light on this much deserving house, and perhaps now it might get the respect It's due.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

The original Aramis is nice, but somewhat dated. The Classic Reserve version is smoother and more balanced, with the cinnamon giving it a nice twist. I like it almost as much as the magnificent Havana.

I tried to warm up to Tuscany, but something in the drydown almost makes me nauseous. And JHL's labdanum base just doesn't sit well with me for some reason.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??