Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Amouage Tribute: Just sampled it

WOW!!!!! I think amouage may have surpasses the amazingness that is homage! It has a slight sweetness to it with a smokiness that really interplay with each other. There is a slight dryness in the background from the ceder and a smooth quality from the leather note. As it develops, vetiver does start to show itself. I am not the best at explaining scents. I will leave that to other people on this forum but it's safe to say that this goes hand in hand with homage as another winner. I am really amazed at how amouage has transformed itself.

Default Re: Amouage Tribute: Just sampled it

Lucky! It does sound very nice indeed. I just ordered two samples of it from Luckyscent. I'll be watching the mailbox eagerly. That should hold me out for a little bit. Here's a link if anyone else wants to snag one or two.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...ute_Attar.html
    Last edited by Futami; 21st November 2009 at 04:45 AM.

Its been a few hours and I must say I am surprised. This drydown has a lot of similarities with Nasomatto Absinthe. Same vetiver salty smoky drydown that Nasomatto Absinthe has. Really nice but stays close to the skin.

Aedes isn't getting their tester until the first week of December. I guess that I have to wait.

You can order a sample from luckyscent

OMG, if it's at least half as good as Al Somoukh, I would even order it blind - anyone knows if it's available at Selfridges?

It's expensive, no?

Yes, very pricey. I think it's $350 for 12 ml. Same as Homage.

and $650 for 30ml

Honestly considerig the potency I think even 12 ml is way too much for most attars. I'd be very happy with one dram or 4ml.
    Last edited by Futami; 21st November 2009 at 07:32 PM.

I just got my bottle yesterday. One dab on one wrist and you immediately know your in the presence of something in the same league as Homage. This is old school perfumery at its best. You know how all the companys are challenged in trying to make perfume the way it use to be before they banned all the good ingredients. Tribute smells like perfumes of yesteryear. We perfume lovers keep saying perfumes don't smell as good as they use to. Homage and Tribute are living proof it can be done.

I'll report back on the notes and how Tribute makes you feel in a couple of days. I will go on record right now that it's beyond a 5 Star frag, because Homage is the only other frag in the same league. Be careful if you sample - just a tiny dab will do. I think it packs a bigger wallop than Homage.

I'm curious as to how soon and how long the basenotes come into play. NST has the basenotes listed as: leather, tobacco, cedarwood, patchouli and vetive.

Wow---those note make me DROOL! *yum* That price is a bit steep for my wallet. Brother, can you spare a dram?
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I had the same reaction as you did thebeck. It is absolutely amazing stuff. Really deep, rich, smokey and everything else luxurious you can think of. It lats forever and really develops a lot throughout the day. Let me know after you have a chance to smell the drydown if you get the Nasomatto Absinthe salty vetiver drydown. It smells to me exactly like that.

As long as I've been on here, I should try an Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    WOW!!!!! I think amouage may have surpasses the amazingness that is homage! It has a slight sweetness to it with a smokiness that really interplay with each other. There is a slight dryness in the background from the ceder and a smooth quality from the leather note. As it develops, vetiver does start to show itself. I am not the best at explaining scents. I will leave that to other people on this forum but it's safe to say that this goes hand in hand with homage as another winner. I am really amazed at how amouage has transformed itself.
    cairomerta is down playing his acute nose. He says he's not the best at explaining scents. I disagree.

The difficulty in explaining Tribute is because it's not your usual "One Note Samba" The masterful blend is hard to describe via notes. I think cairomerta has it right on the money with things like smokey, tobacco, leather etc........they'll all there, just simply not distinct as such. It's all about the interplay and how well they all weave "in and out" of play giving your nose surprises. Eventually you just stop trying to understand it, and simply let it seduce you.

I don't want to get all philosophical, but I think I should mention a couple of things. Upon first whiff, Tribute felt like you met your "soulmate". The perfect fit, like the day I met my Wife. I knew it was forever. I proposed to her two weeks after I met her. Sometimes things just fit so well they're beyond description. Tribute is one of the best examples of the art of perfumery. Destined to be a classic in our own time.

WARNING: Apply 30 minutes before leaving your house, otherwise you'll just knock people down in your path. After 30 minutes Tribute quiets down and sillage is reduced enough to feel comfortable going out in public.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    As long as I've been on here, I should try an Amouage
    Yeah, they're worth it. I'm not the best nose or anywhere near the "frag master" that many in here are, but when I put on Dia, I am highly aware this is a masterful, high quality product that stands above most frags.

Thank you thebeck. I appreciate your kindness. You are 100% correct that it is so well blended it seems as if the scent is a single note. But you realize that so many things are going on in this scent. There is such an amazing interplay of notes going on that it has taken perfumery to a whole new level i must say. Leaps and bound above anything else out there in the market including dare I say Homage!

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Thank you thebeck. I appreciate your kindness. You are 100% correct that it is so well blended it seems as if the scent is a single note. But you realize that so many things are going on in this scent. There is such an amazing interplay of notes going on that it has taken perfumery to a whole new level i must say. Leaps and bound above anything else out there in the market including dare I say Homage!
    This is the stuff that people will spend $1,000.00 plus to aquire when it's discontinued. My Wife and I have been sharing a bottle of Homage for over a year now, and the bottle is barely down from the top 1/4 inch. A lifetime supply for only $350.00. The best bargain in perfume IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    This is the stuff that people will spend $1,000.00 plus to aquire when it's discontinued. My Wife and I have been sharing a bottle of Homage for over a year now, and the bottle is barely down from the top 1/4 inch. A lifetime supply for only $350.00. The best bargain in perfume IMHO.
    It's only a bargain if you can afford to think of it as an investment, that will pay off over time. I keep saying this outside of basenotes, when similar situations arise. Here's a situation, say I'm going to by a new TV for $1,000. And the SA, says " I've got a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you pay $2,000, that's only $1,000 more! I'll throw in 10 more of the exact same TV for free." Now any sane human being, would first question the absurdity of the situation, but upon finding it to in fact be true, would jump all over that offer. Me, on the other hand, it wouldn't matter if he threw in 50 more TV's, I only have the original $1,000 and that's even pushing it. Hopefully some day, I can afford, to view non-necessities in a similar light as you do, but for me, at this point in my life, and for the very foreseeable future, need to look at it as $350, for 12ml of smelly liquid. Most don't have the disposable income to spend a lot of money for something, up front and wait for that investment to pay dividends. You either have the disposable income or not, and most don't.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 22nd November 2009 at 07:59 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    It's only a bargain if you can afford to think of it as an investment, that will pay off over time. I keep saying this outside of basenotes, when similar situations arise. Here's a situation, say I'm going to by a new TV for $1,000. And the SA, says " I've got a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you pay $2,000, that's only $1,000 more! I'll throw in 10 more of the exact same TV for free." Now any sane human being, would first question the absurdity of the situation, but upon finding it to in fact be true, would jump all over that offer. Me, on the other hand, it wouldn't matter if he threw in 50 more TV's, I only have the original $1,000 and that's even pushing it. Hopefully some day, I can afford, to view non-necessities in a similar light as you do, but for me, at this point in my life, and for the very foreseeable future, need to look at it as $350, for 12ml of smelly liquid. Most don't have the disposable income to spend a lot of money for something, up front and wait for that investment to pay dividends. You either have the disposable income or not, and most don't.
    I'm not sure your example makes sense. Just because someone doesn't have the funds doesn't change that something would be a bargain or not. According to The American Heritage Dictionary, "bargain" can be defined as "More than what is expected"

Most of the Amouage line like Epic, Lyric, etc..... run about $250.00 for 50ml of juice I consider to be mediocre at best. When the same company offers something vastly superior for only $100.00 more I consider it a bargain.

I'm looking at the price of a 2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti - $313,088. Way out of my league, but considering the person with the means to buy it, it could be a bargain considering its pedigree.
    Last edited by thebeck; 22nd November 2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: add verbage

I'm not sure your example makes sense. Just because someone doesn't have the funds doesn't change that something would be a bargain or not. According to The American Heritage Dictionary, "bargain" can be defined as "More than what is expected"

Most of the Amouage line like Epic, Lyric, etc..... run about $250.00 for 50ml of juice I consider to be mediocre at best. When the same company offers something vastly superior for only $100.00 more I consider it a bargain.

I'm looking at the price of a 2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti - $313,088. Way out of my league, but considering the person with the means to buy it, it could be a bargain considering its pedigree.
    True, but it can also mean according to thefreedictionary.com : " Something offered or acquired at a price advantageous to the buyer". Now clearly a $350 whole in the pocket of the purchaser isn't advantage, regardless of the quality of the ingredients on a strictly literal interpretation, it's not advantage, I don't care what Amouage puts in there, it's not worth even a fraction of the $350 entry price. What makes it a bargain, is purely subjective, and entirely contigent upon the individual's priorities, and financial stability. I don't want to get too far off on a tangent (though I'm afraid I already have), but that purchase in almost every single possible situation (unless you are wealthy beyond my wildest dreams), cannot be considered a bargain in the present. It only becomes a bargain, because you don't have to replace it, for it will last a life time, if you look at it as a lifetime investment for $350, then sure it's a bargain. For most, though, it's too rich of an initial investment to make.

I'm glad you enjoy it, and can afford to purchase a bottle, I'm sure I'd love it, but then I'd create a lemming that I can in know way afford.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

$350 may seem a lot for 12mls of some smelly juice. However, in these 12mls of Tribute/Homage.. you're getting more natural oils than in 1000+mls of your favourite Creed, Lutens, Bond no 9, Malle..which you were able to buy? Perhaps some people just prefer quality over quantity.. Quality attars can be very pricey,12mls of King Fahed will cost you 2K in London so compared to that price Tribute can indeed be considered a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    $350 may seem a lot for 12mls of some smelly juice. However, in these 12mls of Tribute/Homage.. you're getting more natural oils than in 1000+mls of your favourite Creed, Lutens, Bond no 9, Malle..which you were able to buy? Perhaps some people just prefer quality over quantity.. Quality attars can be very pricey,12mls of King Fahed will cost you 2K in London so compared to that price Tribute can indeed be considered a bargain.
    This isnt the case of Montale
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I'm curious, what type of applicator comes with a full bottle of these potent, high-quality Amouage fragrances? Is there a difference in applicators between their attars and their other fragrances?

Where and how do you apply it? I've heard Arabians will run a dab inside the rim of the outer ear.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 22nd November 2009 at 11:56 PM.

Cannot wait to try this one.
    Sounds like top-shelf attar for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    And no^ you're getting 12ml of pure superior quality oils, oils which tend to have massive sillage as they are lower notes with great tenacity.
    But to keep everything in perspective, 12ml of pure oils, which is the same volume of oils on e would find in 50-75ml of EDT's.

58ml of Concentre D'Orange Verte for axample would contain 12ml of oils.

But of couse, these oils Amouage is using are likely among the best in the world and of supreme natural quality.
    Extremely eager to test if it is superior to Homage.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 23rd November 2009 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    I'm curious, what type of applicator comes with a full bottle of these potent, high-quality Amouage fragrances? Is there a difference in applicators between their attars and their other fragrances?

Where and how do you apply it? I've heard Arabians will run a dab inside the rim of the outer ear.
    Homage (and I assume Tribute) applicator is simply an extension of the glass cap that reaches down into the bottle - the cap is one piece. I apply a touch to the back of each wrist and just below my neck. Works fine

Ack I am so behind
    I still need to try Homage
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I'm green with envy

I am ordering a sample right now!!
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I'm green with envy
    Me too

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

The quality of Homage is surely not leaps and bounds better than the rest of the Amouage line. I don't find it to be higher quality in any objective sense of the word, compared to say Dia, Ciel or Lyric Man or Woman. Of course, others disagree. Also, given the tenacity and potency of these attars, they are surely not all natural (not that I have anything wrong with that), nor do they necessarily use any more naturals or conversely less synthetics (or even different synthetics) than the rest of the Amouage line.

I just don't like to see these being mentioned as if they are definitively in a different league than the other Amouage scents (or other high quality scents from any line). They behave differently because of their oil base, and they are composed differently than the other Amouage scents, and this may appeal to some more than the traditional scents, but that doesn't make them objectively better.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

[QUOTE=SculptureOfSoul;1679127]The quality of Homage is surely not leaps and bounds better than the rest of the Amouage line.

I respectfully totally disagree. Homage and Tribute are both leaps and bounds better than the rest of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The quality of Homage is surely not leaps and bounds better than the rest of the Amouage line. I don't find it to be higher quality in any objective sense of the word, compared to say Lyric Man.
    *Dumbfounded 1,000 yard gaze*

The quality of Homage is surely not leaps and bounds better than the rest of the Amouage line. I don't find it to be higher quality in any objective sense of the word, compared to Lyric Man.
    But seriously.....I could agree with you maybe on 1 or 2 of the standard Amouage line, but not Lyric man. A significant majority of Lyric man's notes are very obviously synthetic and transparent, in my honest opinion.

The quality of Homage is surely not leaps and bounds better than the rest of the Amouage line. I don't find it to be higher quality in any objective sense of the word, compared to say Dia, Ciel or Lyric Man or Woman. Of course, others disagree. Also, given the tenacity and potency of these attars, they are surely not all natural (not that I have anything wrong with that), nor do they necessarily use any more naturals or conversely less synthetics (or even different synthetics) than the rest of the Amouage line.

I just don't like to see these being mentioned as if they are definitively in a different league than the other Amouage scents (or other high quality scents from any line). They behave differently because of their oil base, and they are composed differently than the other Amouage scents, and this may appeal to some more than the traditional scents, but that doesn't make them objectively better.
    Can't really argue unless we could reduce some of these to an Attar rendition, I guess - or plonk Homage into 50 or 75 ml of perfumer's alcohol and then do a face off? The form is different so it's hard to objectively compare - apples and oranges.

That said, I enjoy wearing several of the EDPs, (incl Lyric Man & Woman), but from a purely personal viewpoint Homage feels like it is in a different league and I would very much like to see what Tribute is all about.

I am in the minority but I never liked Homage, I always felt it was too feminine for my tastes plus it had poor longevity for me (6 hours tried it twice), now compared to Jubilation XXV, I find Jubilation a lot more complex and lasts all day on me.

but I am looking forward to trying out Tribute

I have a touch of Tribute enroute. Golly I'm excited, it'll be my first ever sniff of an Attar!
    Last edited by cedarnotes; 24th November 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Just bought the 12ml bottle. After testing it I had to buy it. Amazing stuff!

Hey thebeck. Any update on your impressions of Tribute. What do you think. I am loving my bottle of this stuff.

Guys,

12 ml for $350 can be allot for some of us.
    But i think Homage and trubite are worth every penny .

At this moment i am having a good deal , but it only will work if i buy 10 bottles.
    i wil start a theread for group buy.

Total cost wuold be inc interrnational shipping between $260 and $270 depends on paypal fees and destination .
    Last edited by moreda; 25th November 2009 at 07:47 PM.

I haven't received my sample yet but I'm pretty sure I'll be in for the group buy.

I received my samples today!!!
    I loved Tribute. It is very different from Homage, more manly, animalitic, sexy!
    Evenstar

I'm not sure how to explain what I've been overcome with upon smelling Tribute, but it has driven me to purchase a full bottle. It's the first Amouage fragrance that has spoken to me personally. It told me that this beautiful essence cannot be left out of my collection! I think I have smelled my holy grail. It contains everything that I desire. Unlike the effeminate offerings of Dia and Gold Man, even Homage was a little light for my tastes.This is a truly masculine scent that I want to wear and spend the money on! It's pure quality through and through.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 27th November 2009 at 10:27 PM.

Dia effeminate?

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Dia effeminate?
    You beat me to it Futami. What?

Well, it's very very good, on par qualitatively with Homage.
    Atop the Amouage line.
    But imho, wonderful lower notes like this, with Iso-e-super added for extra silage/diffusion, isn't worth to me as much as the wonderfully captured top notes and other subtle notes like the western european houses do.

I think it is just a culturally mutual "grass is greener" appreciation, based on exposure and perception.
    Nothing wrong with that at all. i think Pigeonmurderer and i are perfect examples of two sides to this theory/phenomena...

But the fact that Amoauge does all the wood oils and spice oils well doesn't impress me as much as all the nuanced subtlety of houses like Maitre, Creed, and the British houses.
    But IMO, they need to pull back on iso-e-super in general, across the whole house.

Anyone who has used Iso-e-super raw knows Amoauge use too much.
    I understand it does wonders for projection and longevity, but there is a fine line when too much casts a synthetic petrol haze over what ius otherwise an extraordinarily good deep and dark composition.
    That is why i have yet to buy an Amouage scent.
    Jubilation XXV was close, and Epic man was even closer.
    Homage and Tribute are both great.

But the purpose Amouage scents that i like serve I accomplish in a quiter way without iso-e-super with much less expensive natural sandalwood/EO blends for body after a shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Dia effeminate?
    My apologies, I had sampled several Amouages together and rechecking after your question I take it back. But several of the men's line did strike me as very effeminate and Dia, to my nose, is unisex. Suffice it to say, none of the Amouage line has taken a hold of my senses like Tribute. Jubilation XXV has come close but requires further wearing before I make a decision. With Tribute, it was instant.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 28th November 2009 at 12:34 AM.

I just got some Tribute in and am wearing a dab on my left wrist. This is my first attar so I hope I applied it correctly. Not much to say but what first meets the nose, which was a burnned tobacco sweet darkness. Now that its heating up I'm getting some cinamon stick and some dark rubber (aoud?). There's some soapyness hovering around the outer bloom, could that be really good sandlewood? It's wierd stuff to this uneducated nose, but good! Quite a number but it isn't blowing my mind. yet. Olny 20 minutes in so I'll sit by and watch the, as thebeck called it "old school perfumery", unfold. A rose is just peeking through now. Hmmmm, the journey begins.

I got my Tribute samples a few days ago but i was getting over a cold and I had to wait til yesterday to really test it out.

So here is my 2 cents. The first five minutes for me is all about the rose with some other notes I can't place (probably jasmin). this part is very similar to Homage for me. After that a smoky soft leather and tobacco enters and pretty much takes over. For me it stays this way for a bit before the vetiver comes in to the picture The end dries down to a smoky woody leather with hints of vetiver. I liked it but it didn't speak to me like Homage did. In fact something about the heart notes rubbed me the wrong way. Almost too much there in middle. Anyways I've been spared. Lol

Close one!

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    My apologies, I had sampled several Amouages together and rechecking after your question I take it back. But several of the men's line did strike me as very effeminate and Dia, to my nose, is unisex.
    For anyone used to the accords that so narrowly define masculine fragrances, Amouage's masculine offerings can come off as being quite confusing. Gold, for instance, smells like citrus, baby powder and the animalic. Typical response is, oh, that's girlie. But compare it to Shalimar and you can see it has balls hanging from its blooms. There is a world of floral and sweet masculinity out there that isn't in the mold of the Le Males or the A*Mens, it's about boldness and confidence. Try one and feel the liberating power of the unknown.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd December 2009 at 12:19 AM.

Ok, I tried it, had to have a bottle. Having worn it a few times I can confirm the initital impression that this is an incredible and fantastic fragrance. Far superior to anything I've tried for a while now. I like it better than Homage for sure. Also, better than Epic Man which I also like a bunch. TRIBUTE IS A FANTASTIC FRAGRANCE. An instant classic. Yes it can cause knees to buckle. Yes, it will turn the head. Yes, it causes repeated movements of nose to wherever you have put it on. It smells like the very best of many of my favorite ingredients individually and all at once. Strangely I don't think I can describe how this smells. I am curious to see if this opinion continues or if I am just romanced by the moment!?

Sampled it today, not a bad scent but it didn't touch any cords in my soul - too perfumey and the leather note seems too loud, almost screechy. I wish it had more rose and and a bit of oudy oomph to balance out the leather and spices. For whatever it's worth, I think Homage is a better fragrance (it smells natural and not perfumey) but Tribute is much easier to wear for a man.

I got a call last night that Aedes just got it in, I am going to brave the cold and make the long walk and test this today I am dieing to try this

Well I like this a lot better then Homage so far, only applied about 30 minutes ago so will see how it develops and how long it lasts

bad part if it like it will really hurt my wallet

I read on a thread in POL that it's quite similiar to Onda. Can someone confirm or void this?

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I read on a thread in POL that it's quite similiar to Onda. Can someone confirm or void this?
    Having smelled both side by side I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are NO similarities between these two. I know Onda has its fans but I am not one of them at all! Just look at the listed notes on Luckyscent. Onda is vetiver and kitchen spices.

Tribute is heaven.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 19th December 2009 at 05:38 AM.

My review of both Homage & Tribute is here:

http://bit.ly/6wxMP6

I like both of these but Tribute is definitely the better of the two in my book.
    I don't get the similarity to Onda.
    This is a slowly evolving example of attar and it is in keeping with the spirit of its history.
    Like Mr. Reasonable one drop spread between my wrists and on my neck is enough to fill a room. My samples are barely touched and I easily have another three to four wears out of them.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Nice reviews SMM. I'm not sure about the incredible potency and 24h+ lasting power though - I tested Tribute twice and it took 3 to 4 hours to hit the base after which it became a skin scent with a faint sweetish cedary note. I revisited Homage recently - do you also smell an overdose of synthetic aldehydes in the opening or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    My review of both Homage & Tribute is here:

http://bit.ly/6wxMP6

I like both of these but Tribute is definitely the better of the two in my book.
    I don't get the similarity to Onda.
    This is a slowly evolving example of attar and it is in keeping with the spirit of its history.
    Like Mr. Reasonable one drop spread between my wrists and on my neck is enough to fill a room. My samples are barely touched and I easily have another three to four wears out of them.

Well after wearing it for a full day my thoughts have changed,

I love the first few hours especially the top notes, and after the first few hours it changes a lot and lots of interplay going on between the notes that I cannot even detect any single notes but once it gets to the drydown which lasts a real long time that is where it goes south for me. It just smells like leather a pure leather scent for me, and I am not huge into leather scents.

I think it is a pass for me.