Code of Conduct

Question Homemade Fragrance Question

Hi, everyone, I'm new here and I have a question that I would very like to get answered.

I was wondering if there would be any way I can neutralize the essential oil scent. I was wondering this because I need the essential oils for health benefits and then I would like to put some nice fragrant oils over it. I picture the two kinds of smells wouldn't mix together. I would be soooooo happy if someone would answer my question.

Thanks in advance,
    Woody
    Last edited by Woody123; 21st November 2009 at 03:54 AM.

Default Re: Homemade Fragrance Question

If it helps the fragrance is woodsy and some of the essential oils are lavender and tea tree oil.

Blog Entries

Woody123,

Welcome to BaseNotes.

I have never tried killing a fragrance by adding a reactive chemical. Hydrogen peroxide might work. But excess might be bad for your skin and defeat whatever health benefits you want from your essential oil.

What essential oil are you trying to use? Aura Cacia, Nature's Alchemist and Eden Botanicals sell many, many essential oils. Perhaps there is one whose scent you would like and then there's no problem.

If you want an unscented oil for your skin, look for "fragreance free" body oil at your favorite drug store or pharmacy and add your favorite aromachemical(s).

Thanks alot!

The oils I'm thinking about using (I'm probably gonna narrow it down) are:
    Lavender
    Tea Tree Oil
    Lavendar
    Vanilla
    Musk
    Oak Moss
    Amber
    Cedar
    Thyme
    Jasmine
    Sandalwood
    Cucumber

I'm trying to get fresh and clean top notes (Cucumber, maybe a little mint), Then use some light oriental and citrus fragrances for the middle note, then lastly have a musky woodsy type fragrance for the base note.
    Last edited by Woody123; 21st November 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Hmm...now that I think about it, most of those fragrances may go well together. I may not have to neutralize it after all.

EDIT: Woops! That was the list for the fragrance oils. That's why it sounded good.

Here's my essential oil list:
    Tea Tree
    Lavender
    Oregano (Limit Because Potency)
    Geranium
    Acai Oil
    Lemon
    Sandalwood
    Clary-Sage
    Basil
    Bergamot Oil
    Clove Oil
    Rosewood Oil
    Vanilla
    Caffeine
    Retinol
    Green Tea Extract
    Flaxseed Oil
    Jasmine

Bump (Sorry guys, I'm buying the oils soon and I really need an answer)

Blog Entries

Sorry, Woody, but I don't understand the question. What EO scent do you want to neutralize?

I was just wondering if I can neutralize the fragrance of some oils. Most of them go together, but a few which I want for just the benefits don't go well together.

And don't be sorry, I realize my question wasn't that clear.

Oh and also I'm going to be wearing this scent. It's not for aromatherapy or for my house.

Woody, if all you want for the "benefit" of certain ingredients is to have them present without the fragrance, then you need to dilute them in the extreme. This is the concept of homeopathy. In fact, you may even be able to use some Bach remedies or something similar rather than the EO.
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd November 2009 at 04:16 AM.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna research the Bach remedies.

You can not block the scent without removing or destroying them. Use of hydrogen peroxide is for that reason not a good idea I think, it might destroy the scent beacause it will destroy the complete oil.

But you might change the fragrance in another direction by adding other fragrances. To be able to advice you I need to know which oils you use and what fragrance direction you want it to change to.

If you destroy the fragrance of an E.O. that means you must do something to modify its chemical composition. Once you do that, it is no longer the same E.O. nor works the same way.

Note: I don't actually do homeopathy or aromatherapy. The point is, in chemistry, "The Form is also the Function."
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon