Code of Conduct

Default Miel de Bois Lovers

Hello!
    How many of you are Miel de Bois lovers?
    Is it just me?
    Anyone already tested the bell jar Miel de Bois!
    Is it very diferent from the original?
    I think it was reformulated!
    Thank you guys!

Default Re: Miel de Bois Lovers

I like this frag quite a bit, though I have to be in a certain "mood" to wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Miel de Bois! My partner really hates it though, so I don't wear it that often.

Has it been reformulated already? I haven't tested the new one yet - hopefully it won't be too unrecognizable.

I cannot wait for my MdB sample to arrive!

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There was a thread indicating that it would have to be reformulated because there were some particular issues with one of the ingredients being safe at the levels involved. I could look it up if it would help.

Yup, another MdB lover here! The very intense urinous note (which I don't mind ), is due to a high concentration of phenylacetic acid, which is also on the reformulation hitlist for 2010. I would love to hear feedback from someone in Paris.

If this keeps up, we'll all be wearing tap water.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a bell jar from Paris this summer. I don't know if this was reformulated in any way, but it was plenty strong.

I didn't get a urinal impression though, mostly a honeyed sharply woody incensey fragrance... I sort of lost interest in it though, so I kept a decant for myself and passed it on to my brother who likes it more than I.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is the post by zztopp in another thread in response to my question:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scentsitivity
    Highly toxic ingredient? Do we know what it is?

As others have said, it is now reverted to Bell Jar status.

zztopp: Phenylacetic acid, the high % of which in Miel de Bois is responsible for its characteristic urinous honey note, and can cause hormonal imbalance in humans. I believe the impending EU regulation will either force Miel de Bois to be discontinued or changed beyond recognition

The thread link is: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...8&postcount=14
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 21st November 2009 at 11:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, another thread I wasn't meant to see.

*sprints out the door as fast as possible*
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

I love Miel de Bois also. I also have never experienced the "urinous" note some describe (and complain of) so it has always been a pleasure to wear.
    Terribly sad to think that another yummy scent will join the myriad others in being desecrated to appease the IFRA. Humans have been parfuming for over a century with all those "forbidden" chemicals; i have yet to hear of someone dying due to parfum.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ā sa source

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am definitely getting MdB soon! This is a Lutens i really like but don't yet have.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

I have loved MdB since it was first released and I don't get a urinous note at all. When I have worn it, females (usually), comment that it smells of those big lillies on me. I do have an oily skin, so that might have something to do with it.

I had one or two run ins with Ms Sanchez on the old Luca Turin blog about it. She is convinced that everybody should get the urinous note that she gets. It might be the ones who don't get that note, who have got their olfactive wiring right and she hasn't. But anyway, because she gets the bad note, everybody who doesn't get it is smelling it wrong.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Miel de Bois was love at first sniff for me and I got a bottle soon after it was released. Haven't smelled the bell jar version so can't compare.

Have never smelled anything even remotely urinous in it, to me it smells like wood saturated with honey.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by etoile View Post
    Hello!
    How many of you are Miel de Bois lovers?
    Is it just me?
    Anyone already tested the bell jar Miel de Bois!
    Is it very diferent from the original?
    I think it was reformulated!
    Thank you guys!
    How do you perceive it to be different? Just curious if you could describe it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it. "Love" would be too much, though. Not the same feelings I have towards Chergui. Miel de Bois however is more daring, more challenging. That's a quality in itself. Again, I don't get any disagreeable note. It just doesn't seem to fit the person I am now. Maybe I'll grow into it (though I own it since 2007). Have to wear it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    How do you perceive it to be different? Just curious if you could describe it.
    Well!
    If it's reformulated already and the phenylacetic acid was taken off they must have used another ingredient to get the honey note! Right!?
    If the phenylacetic acid isn't there anymore the perfume should smell diferent, I think!
    I donīt know if the juice in the bell jars are already the reformulated Miel de Bois or if itīs the same!
    I'm afraid that Miel de Bois loses itīs enchantments without the phenylacetic acid!

Please save the phenylacetic acid! LOL!

Wow I'm so disappointed! I got my samples pack from Beautyhabit today and they didn't send me Miel de Bois after telling me they had it in stock. This is the second place to screw me out of a MdB sample so I've wasted $30 USD trying to get a 1ml sample. Anyone have a sample I could buy?! Let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

The trick is to be light on the trigger and wearing it on your chest under some light clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cors View Post
    I love Miel de Bois! My partner really hates it though, so I don't wear it that often.

Has it been reformulated already? I haven't tested the new one yet - hopefully it won't be too unrecognizable.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I donīt wear it light!
    I spray it all over me and it works for me! No cat pee! LOL
    But yes, I understand what you mean with light spraying!
    Does anyone guess for what will the Phenylacetic acid be replaced for?

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Here is the post by zztopp in another thread in response to my question:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scentsitivity
    Highly toxic ingredient? Do we know what it is?

As others have said, it is now reverted to Bell Jar status.

zztopp: Phenylacetic acid, the high % of which in Miel de Bois is responsible for its characteristic urinous honey note, and can cause hormonal imbalance in humans. I believe the impending EU regulation will either force Miel de Bois to be discontinued or changed beyond recognition

The thread link is: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...8&postcount=14
    I wouldn't want to argue with zztopp; nevertheless, I checked a source I've used before which gibes with IFRA data. Still, the concentration recommendation cited here seems pretty high to me for it to be banned altogether:

"Recommendation for phenyl acetic acid usage levels up to :
    2.0000 % in the fragrance concentrate."

That's twice the current tolerance for oakmoss.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 23rd November 2009 at 11:37 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

— Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I wouldn't want to argue with zztopp; nevertheless, I checked a source I've used before which gibes with IFRA data. Still, the concentration recommendation cited here seems pretty high to me for it to be banned altogether:

"Recommendation for phenyl acetic acid usage levels up to :
    2.0000 % in the fragrance concentrate."

That's twice the current tolerance for oakmoss.
    You bring out a good point. I suppose the fundamental question is what the original concentration of phenyl acetic acid was in Miel de Bois and what it is currently. Assuming it has in fact been reduced.

I hope that they just reduce the acid!
    And not replace for another thing!

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hope that they just reduce the acid!
    And not replace for another thing!
    Did it appear on the list of ingredients in either new or old formulations? Just a curious question.

Does anyone have a bell jar of Miel de Bois?
    Can you list the ingredients printed on the box?
    Thank you!

Hello guys!
    Anyone more bought the bell jar of Miel de Bois?
    Do you think itīs different from the old export line flask?
    My stock of Miel de Bois is running down!
    I bathe in Miel de Bois...

I guess that nobody is using Miel except me :|

I guess that nobody is using Miel except me :|
    No, we are using it, but apparently you're the only one who likes to bathe in it

I love this stuff, but I don't wear it too often and take quite easy on the trigger when I do.

I haven't tried the bell jar juice but, although it is natural that different batches could have slight differences, I don't see the point why MdB would have been reformulated : There's no particularly hard-to-get ingridients in it, it is a cult classic as Serge is very much aware, without any possibilities to reach greater success in different (tamed) form anyway.

I guarantee you can go for a bell jar of MdB without that much of a care.

Post Thanks / Like

Two questions. I know this perfume was reformulated but I don't know when. I heard the reformulation may have coincided around the time this went to belljar only. Does this mean that any Miel de Bois found in the export (50ml size) is the original formulation?

My 2nd question. I know this is a very obscure Lutens and one most people dislike so this is a bit of a hopeful question but has anyone tried both the new version and old version and can compare contrast what the differences are?

Post Thanks / Like

I love MdB. It is close to HG matrial for me. funny thing is I did not like it in the beginning. I alway associated it with those shoe polish sponges that got honey wax. I got other Serge's before it and somehow this was the weird one out of the bunch but I ended up liking it more than any of them. I treasure the 10 ml left in my old export bottle. I guess i will never find a scent like this if it has been reformulated. One thing you can never accuse it for is originality: there is nothing out there like it.

I got various comments on it over time , ranging from 'this smells like an old man's cologne ' to 'furniture polish' to ' wow this smells amazing'.

Yea, it would be nice to have a comparison between the two versions.

The point of this post: MdB RULES!!
    No rain, no rainbow

Post Thanks / Like

I actually love anything that is "furniture polish" type smelling. Weird, I know. I love all kinds of honey interpretations in fragrance. This is one Lutens I've strangely enough never experienced. Tonight I managed to procure 3 new-in-wrapper bottles of this juice in the old 50ml Export bottles, the last of their stock. They are now in process of being shipped to me from Europe. Out of curiosity I just now checked eBay and saw one bottle that is 33% full selling for 200 dollars which seems a bit overboard but I figured this juice might be rare so stocking up wasn't the worst idea, and if I don't like it I could sell it relatively easy.

I don't see any of the usual decanting sites carry this fragrance so I really have no way of testing out the new formulation other than ordering a bell jar of it which is why I was hoping someone with experience of both formulations could weigh in or perform a side-by-side.

Either way, thank you for your post felix. I love polarizing scents which this one seems to be. Going to be hawking over my mailbox waiting for these bottles to show up. If I don't like it I'll sell you one for normal retail price, if you are interested.

I have smelled the two, more than a reformulation Miel de bois has been "redesigned" into a softer scent.
    Honestly it's still a beautiful (even very beautiful) perfume, the reformulation has been respectful but it's undeniably not the same and if you were an inconditional of the former version you could be slightly disappointed.
    Comparing to the first formulation, the recent has lost harshness, the "wax polish / pleddge" note is less evident, the wood is more soft and round, it's also sweeter : the dark honey has become bright.
    Paradoxally, although the older was more brutal and weird it melted better with my skin, an osmosis, the actual gives to my skin a nice scent while the old smelled MY skin.
    But i'm sure a lot of people will prefer the new version (especially those who start with the new) , this reformulation is not a disaster and is still 1000x better than a discontinuation (that would be happened normally)

Post Thanks / Like

Mon Petit thank you for that informative post! I had also read that the reformulation was softer and more approachable, which almost makes me think the reformulation wasn't forced by the hand of IFRA but by the Lutens brand itself after seeing such a polarizing response to the original. Or perhaps that's just the skeptic in me lol

Maybe the two lm6, i think they probably had to reformulate it, but they profited the opportunity (passage from export to exclusive) for a little "upgrade" (as stated in interviews)

I Love Miel de Bois!
    I have 7 backups of the old juice

Post Thanks / Like

I love it as well. I am at the very bottom of my vintage sample, and not one drop of it smelled like urine. Sad day.

Me 4

And I'm still after a few extra bottles. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Jealous! I'd settle for one vintage bottle myself.

Post Thanks / Like

be jealous no more. I woke up to a refund and a note from the company saying they tried to find a way to ship these to me but had no luck. I know certain companies have to abide by certain restrictions (especially regarding sending alcohol based perfumes) so I'm not too mad (hey, it was a blind buy after all!)

but there is no point in keeping it a secret, so if anyone in europe would like the last 3 bottles you can order them here

http://www.lindelepalais.com/en-US/product/10338

you're welcome! :P

*sulk*

Yeahhhhh! Thank you for the tio.

Post Thanks / Like

oh wow, i hope some of you jumped on my link when i posted it. the bottles were $89 (not just miel de bois but all serge lutens) and now they're all $124, an increase of 35 bucks!

Post Thanks / Like

I really like my vintage sample of Miel de Bois, but I'm very reluctant to pay the $290 for the bell jar on the US site, especially if it is a lesser reformulation. I may have to settle for the very inexpensive Lapidus for Men for my manly honey fix. It's quite good at doing that kind of thing, but Miel de Bois is clearly superior (at least the vintage one was). I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say about the current formulation.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 50ml spray bottle of Miel De Bois - it is one of my favourite Lutens' - a beautiful fragrance that I love to wear. I didn't pick up the pee note for many months, when I found it it didn't put me off, I like it a little bit more :P

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wore this today for the very first time, I think I picked up my sample when we had the Sample Swap in Las Vegas with all my Basenotes peeps.

Amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed wearing it today. It's sweetness was modulated at the most perfect level (not too light, not too strong), the woods balanced and intermingled with the strong honey note, there was a perfectly harmless musk note humming underneath it all the entire time - I felt comforted, cocooned in accords. The only other honey-prominent scent that has knocked my socks off is that discontinued baby scent that L'Occitane used to sell in the paper cup box (can't remember the name of it now...). Very impressed. I could see owning a decant of this, for sure.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

A very nice scent if a bit sweet.

True indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    If this keeps up, we'll all be wearing tap water.

Post Thanks / Like

For something similar-ish try Delivre Moi - it's a beautiful honey scent, without the hugely intense woods of Miel De Bois, still a bit pissy but with some more floral accords - have only gave it a couple brief sniffs so can't say much more than that but it was a very impressive honey.
    My current honey obsession is with M/Mink thought! Oh man it's amazing.