Code of Conduct

Default What do I do with this after shave?

I stumbled across a supercheap EDT/aftershave combo of Lagerfeld the other day and I bought it blind 'cause I'm into opoponax. Nice stuff, although maybe a bit to American Psycho for regular use. And now for my question: I've never used an after shave before; I've always used a scentless balm or moisturizer. Am I really supposed to just splash this stuff on my face like they do in the tv ads? It seems to be almost as strong as the EDT. Is that usual for aftershaves? Or just aftershaves created in the 80s and designed to compliment one's yellow power tie?

Default Re: What do I do with this after shave?

I never use after shaves, but I do think they are more dilute and most likely have less longevity. You could always compliment it with the Lagerfeld Cologne if you own it or wear it on its own if longevity is not your main concern.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

You could always use it in a Chevy "Flex-Fuel" vehicle.
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!

After shave Splash was actually very Popular back in the day, Most men I knew at that time used them, Still do. I think as time went by, there became an issue of Alcohol on you're Face. Interesting enough, Alcohol was never an issue with men who I knew used them back then and even now.

AromiErotici

Yea....you just splash some into your palms, rub them together and pat it onto your freshly shaved mug. Invigorating to say the least.

Their strength is like a puff of smoke compared to EDT concentrations. Well, most of them are anyway......but quite a few men still like using aftershaves.

Apart from a few notable exceptions (Mennen Skin Bracer, Halston Catalyst and Trumper Aftershave splashes) most aftershave spalshes sting like hell, and make my face go red raw in places.

To use them, I apply a scentless aftershave balm, wait 10 or 15 minutes for it to do its job, then apply the aftershave splash gently by dabbing (so as not to wash off the underlying balm).

If you don't like doing that, aftershave splashes are weaker than EDTs but many are often at eau de cologne strength. So just apply them like you would a cologne splash.

Renato

Good for you! I don't like opoponax myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jakelosangeles View Post
    Am I really supposed to just splash this stuff on my face like they do in the tv ads?
    Yes, that is what you are supposed to do, but, like you, I do not like doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Invigorating to say the least.
    You remember that scene in Home Alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    If you don't like doing that, aftershave splashes are weaker than EDTs but many are often at eau de cologne strength. So just apply them like you would a cologne splash.
    That is an excellent way of thinking of it -- as an eau de cologne. (Although the percentage of oils is probably not exactly the same, we are not being scientific here.) I like to decant after shaves into spray bottles and use them as I do the eau de toilette. It is true that the strength, longevity, and sillage are not the same, but, hey, I have this bottle of fragrance that I have to do something with, right?

I used to buy gift sets more frequently than I do now. I used to think, I am getting two bottles for this great price! But then, I have the same problem you have -- what to do with that bottle of aftershave? And, as my wardrobe grew and grew and grew, it became obvious that I may never finish one bottle of fragrance "X," much less two.

Or you could put it on your swap list. Someone may want it.

Lagerfeld is a terrific scent, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post

That is an excellent way of thinking of it -- as an eau de cologne. (Although the percentage of oils is probably not exactly the same, we are not being scientific here.) I like to decant after shaves into spray bottles and use them as I do the eau de toilette. It is true that the strength, longevity, and sillage are not the same, but, hey, I have this bottle of fragrance that I have to do something with, right?

You are indeed correct that the percentages are not the same.

Here are the results of my testing the endurance of aftershave splashes, which I did 8 years ago.
    http://www.basenotes.net/articles/lotion.html

As you can see, the variability is very great.

The standout was Joop Homme Aftershave splash, which outlasts most standard EDTs.

I did note later, however, that even the weak aftershave splashes lasted an hour or so longer than I listed there, when worn under clothes as opposed to bare skin.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 23rd November 2009 at 08:01 AM.

If you decide that splashing alcohol on your freshly shaven face is too much for you (it certainly is for me!), you can always put a bit in a little bowl and use it as an air freshner. I've done this before with samples that I will never use and it works out nicely.

Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962 View Post
    you can always put a bit in a little bowl and use it as an air freshner. I've done this before with samples that I will never use and it works out nicely.
    I have never thought of that before. Can you explain your setup a little more? What kind of distance do you get out of the fragrance?

I have a decorative candle votive candle jar that I pour the fragrance into. While the alcohol evaporates the throw of the fragrance, while not overwhelmingly overpowering, is certainly present. I have it on my bedroom and it wafts thru pretty nicely. Don't expect your room to smell like you just sprayed air freshener, it is discrete. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962 View Post
    I have a decorative candle votive candle jar that I pour the fragrance into. While the alcohol evaporates the throw of the fragrance, while not overwhelmingly overpowering, is certainly present. I have it on my bedroom and it wafts thru pretty nicely. Don't expect your room to smell like you just sprayed air freshener, it is discrete. Hope this helps.
    Absolutely! I am inspired to try that with some of my samples.