Code of Conduct

Hybrid View

Cool Spraying the Chest?

Does spraying your chest pay off even if you wear two shirts? For instance, I regularly wear polo shirt with an undershirt. Will this still produce any sillage?

Default Re: Spraying the Chest?

The key for me is how high does the shirt come up? If you wear a turtle neck, the sillage has to go through it, whereas if it's a button shirt, you can spray around the shirt line and get the maximum sillage. Unless the frag is powerful (or you spray a lot), it won't come through 2 shirts with much to smell.

It depends on the heaviness of the scent. Kouros et al are perfect on the chest under two shirts. There's enough sillage that the scent seeps out in the just the right amount. I usually apply my powerhouses only on the chest and nowhere else.

However, I prefer to apply lighter scent to both the ch/stoestmach and wrists.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 23rd November 2009 at 12:29 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I typically wear an undershirt, and I always apply to my chest. I find that it doesn't produce a whole lot of sillage, but it does allow me to get a whiff of whatever I'm wearing, especially when I'm moving around, walking, etc. I also apply to either the inside of my elbows or to my forearms, which allows the fragrance to take up more space. If you don't want to do that but want a bit more sillage, I'd suggest spraying your undershirt rather than your chest; that will help with longevity as well as giving you more sillage than if you'd just sprayed your chest.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

curtis.w brings up a good point: If you are moving around a lot, that is a factor to be considered.

Usually spraying the chest (although not exclusively, but mostly in combination with the more commonly known pulse points around the neck, elbow, ear, wrists and so on) leads to an above average lasting power on my skin of most frags.

I spray my chest almost exclusively and wear two shirts as well. I feel like I get better longevity and I have no complaints with sillage. I get comments when people come to my office too, so it's producing enough to fill that space.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I spray my chest almost exclusively and wear two shirts as well. I feel like I get better longevity and I have no complaints with sillage. I get comments when people come to my office too, so it's producing enough to fill that space.
    This exactly.
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

If I would want to achieve nuclear sillage, of the kind that no one could escape, I wouldn't spray on my chest. I would spray on exposed body parts only. Applying to the chest however tones down the sillage to an agreeable level - something I appreciate more and more. It's subtle radiance (depending on the texture of the fragrance; i.e. M7 [YSL], combined with one spray to an exposed neck, wears beautiful that way).

What I've learned in the past four years is that nothing really covers up sillage. It finds ways to waft out, even if you're wearing a snowboard jacket and its -20 outside.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

There's many frags that you can smell even if you're wearing a coat. Try a powerhouse

Your chest area traps a lot of body heat, especially with two layers on. Scent sprayed on this area will "cook" a bit and actually be the better for the warmth.

As someone else said, sillage will get out one way or another. I first realized that when I sprayed the outer and inner parts of my arms with cologne and later put on gloves, drove to a track and ran a few laps. As I was running, I would smell the cologne through the gloves when my hands neared my face. As I would take sips from my water bottle, I would smell the cologne as well. I couldn't believe it. Now these were not padded gloves. They were cotton. But they were still fairly thick, so I was quite surprised that the sillage was still aparent.

Nonetheless, I spray on my chest, one or both wrists (depending on strength), share my wrists with the inside of my elbows, and spray either both sides of my neck and spread to the front and back of my neck, or spray my hand once and spread. Sometimes though, today for example...I find that I have oversprayed, because the sillage is more than reasonable. But I never wipe it off. If it's too much, then I just know that when I next wear that fragrance, I have to spray less here and there.

I only apply one spray to the front of the neck, nothing else. I can smell it fine all day and people have to be relatively close to catch a faint smell of it, I think it's perfect. I have one eau de toilette (Cumming) that I will spray 2-3 times.. but for eau de parfums I just give one shot to the neck. My biggest fear is being that "skunk at the picnic" :P

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    My biggest fear is being that "skunk at the picnic" :P
    The way I see it-everything I wear is nice, so guess what? Even if my sillage is a bit much, I feel that anyone in thier right mind (nose?) should enjoy it just as much as I do, if not more. If not, then too bad. Now at the same time, I have been around some people with overbearing sillage, and I'm sure they feel the same as I do. This one guy that comes to my workplace bathes in one of those old fashion Polos, and my God, I cannot STAND IT, but he thinks it's the s#!t.

At the end of the day, I guess the point is not to overdo it, but definetely not to underdo it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    The way I see it-everything I wear is nice, so guess what? Even if my sillage is a bit much, I feel that anyone in thier right mind (nose?) should enjoy it just as much as I do, if not more. If not, then too bad. Now at the same time, I have been around some people with overbearing sillage, and I'm sure they feel the same as I do. This one guy that comes to my workplace bathes in one of those old fashion Polos, and my God, I cannot STAND IT, but he thinks it's the s#!t.

At the end of the day, I guess the point is not to overdo it, but definetely not to underdo it.
    But it sounds like you're saying it's ok for you to do what you wished your coworker wearing the Polo wouldn't do. :P

But really I don't think one spray to the neck is underdoing it. I get compliments/comments fairly often.. eau de parfums are fairly strong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    But it sounds like you're saying it's ok for you to do what you wished your coworker wearing the Polo wouldn't do. :P

But really I don't think one spray to the neck is underdoing it. I get compliments/comments fairly often.. eau de parfums are fairly strong to me.
    My exact words were: "At the end of the day, I guess the point is not to overdo it, but definetely not to underdo it."

Besides, I never said it was okay. I said I may do it, unintentionally ofcourse, and I noted that I don't like when this one guy in particular does it, because I don't care for that fragrance in high doses. Now perhaps saying that if I do overspray, folx should enjoy it as much as I do shouldn't be and really isn't my line of thinking. Here's how I feel: I don't intentionally overspray, but in the case that I do, I would hope that others didn't mind the fragrance and maybe even liked it, but if that is not the case, then...*shrugs*

Always adhered..1 or 2 sprays on chest and 1 on the back of the neck - works for ME!

Quote Originally Posted by kbandarage View Post
    Always adhered..1 or 2 sprays on chest and 1 on the back of the neck - works for ME!
    That's what I was going to recommend... I always do 1-2 on the chest, maybe 1 between my two wrists, and for extra sillage, either on on the back of the neck or a dab behind the ears
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    That's what I was going to recommend... I always do 1-2 on the chest, maybe 1 between my two wrists, and for extra sillage, either on on the back of the neck or a dab behind the ears
    Yeah, d beauty is both chest and back of the neck is 'quite Open at the same time 'quite closed - so the frag will stay long and will shoot around you every time from both front and back at the same time

Only at such times i wear around neck or back of the ears 'cos it will go-off quickly as far as i know-since its exposed very openly..Isn't it?
    Last edited by kbandarage; 24th November 2009 at 05:53 AM.