Code of Conduct

Default John Varvatos -- Does the drydown smell cheap?

I have that the John Varvatos by John Varvatos Cologne for Men drydown smells kind of cheap. That would be such a shame since it smells so wonderful freshly sprayed.

Can anyone deny/confirm/advise this? I'm looking to get this (scooped up a nice deal) for a 21 year old friend of mine who I think would wear it well.

thanks!

Default Re: John Varvatos -- Does the drydown smell cheap?

I absolutely agree. The topnotes are fantastic, and it smells wonderful for about 25 minutes. Then it goes kind of powdery and it starts to fade into a mix of talcum-powder and drugstore perfume.

I got a bottle for $15 at TJ Maxx and thought I had a steal. 25 minutes later I was kicking myself for wasting money.

I don't think it smells cheap, but then again i'm kind of partial to this scent. Still love it

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

That's what I thought initially, don't overapply.. two sprays and let it mingle. Good stuff.

I keep hearing two sides: cheap drydown and awesome juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    If you didn't then it wouldn't be basenotes
    Top 5 in rotation: Dior Homme, Pure Malt, Egoiste, Gucci Envy, Platinum Egoiste

Happiness is perfume, you can't pour it on somebody else without getting a few drops on yourself.
    -James Van Der Zee

Looking for large CAPS for M7, boss bottled #6, Bvlgari PH and YSL La Nuit

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I confirm this to be the case, based on my experience with it. It wears magnificently for an hour or two but falls apart rather quickly. Longevity is indeed suspect but I wouldn't call the drydown cheap-smelling. The good thing is you can get nice deals on John Varvatos.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 23rd November 2009 at 03:47 AM.

I didn't think much of it when I sampled it a long time ago, but I don't remember it well now. If you want a stronger base of vanilla and woods, there are Baby Blue Jeans and Adidas Victory League (in the "super cheapo" category).

It's a good fragrance that I still liken it a bit to DK Fuel. Strange... In seven years of being on Basenotes, I've never heard of a drydown itself being called cheap. Guess there's a first for everything. I suppose it could be due to it smelling more, how shall I say, common, due to a heavy vanilla presence. If it concerns you so much, why not get him the Vintage version? The top notes are a bit disconcerting, but the drydown is much more complex with a strong tobacco note vs. the original.
    The Bark Bites Back.

It's still one of my favorites. Only complaint being that it fades pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    It's a good fragrance that I still liken it a bit to DK Fuel. Strange... In seven years of being on Basenotes, I've never heard of a drydown itself being called cheap. Guess there's a first for everything. I suppose it could be due to it smelling more, how shall I say, common, due to a heavy vanilla presence. If it concerns you so much, why not get him the Vintage version? The top notes are a bit disconcerting, but the drydown is much more complex with a strong tobacco note vs. the original.
    I never really hear of drydowns being cheap around here either, but for some reason specifically for John varvatos I hear it having a "cheap dry down"

Awesome Juice

Yeah is smells like pennies. Very cheap

Cacharel Nemo is a wonderful alternative.. and yeh, JV looses it's steam towards basenotes. matter of fact, i can hardly smell it on me after couple of hours.

"Cheap" could mean different things to different people. If you use cheap ingredients but use them well, is that "cheap?" Then there's the generic "woody/amber" drydown that is so common. Even if it wasn't cheap, a lot of people would likely say that it smells "cheap." So I think it's better to use a different term or phrase, whether that is generic, common, poorly constructed, etc.

On every fragrance, there is two sides.

On some, more lean to awesome; on others more lean to cheap.

There is no universal opinion on any fragrance.

That stated, I enjoy John Varvatos and do not feel it smells cheap. In fact, I think it is one of the better smelling designer fragrances. But that's just me.

I have to say that I find all of the Varvatos line rather uninspired and synthetic on me. I can't wear them.

Regards,
    Steve

only the drydown smell cheap? it screams cheap from application until disappearance ,which is a very short cycle. i find all the varvatos line mediocre and rather cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Cacharel Nemo is a wonderful alternative.. and yeh, JV looses it's steam towards basenotes. matter of fact, i can hardly smell it on me after couple of hours.
    Jenson, you have taken the words right out of my mind Nemo is a very wonderful alternative to John Varvatos. They are mot exactly the same per se, but Nemo is very worthy. I also find the longevity much better in Nemo as well.

I don't like it