Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Blog Entries

Default SotD Tuesday 24 November

Good morning!

Another boohootiful Classic Guerlain for me today: Après l'Ondée

Enjoy your day!
    Last edited by tigrushka; 24th November 2009 at 05:57 AM. Reason: fatal error aka sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Tuesday 24 November

Good morning all Two days to go on the group project now....For the first time in days I actually think we'll make it in time of the deadline! Have been so angry that I nearly cried a couple of times the last week since someone in my group is boycotting it! Now it seems she has decided to do something aftre all!*sigh of relief* Today we're staying at the library to finish it.Can't WAIT to get it over with! Sotd is Dolce Vita.Need a happy scent now!

Basenotes Institution

Hello all !

Hello and good luck to knit_at_nite re. your purchases !

Gucci by Gucci for me again - this modern chypre - how can a chypre be a chypre without oakmoss ? Anyhow, I do love it !

Have a great day everyone ! Hugs to every single Basenoter who needs one- I have plenty to share !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Tuesday 24 November

Good Tuesday everyone

Patricia de Nicolaï ' s PATCHOULI HOMME

Parfums de Nicolaï

Amazing perfume !!!!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

Thanks to everyone who sent me well wishes the other day, I'm on the mend so they must be working!

I feel as though my motor skills have left me since I got sick as I managed to trip and fall down two steps in my back yard yesterday (and drop my digi cam onto the concrete - ouch!) and then I got hit by a revolving door today...I've turned into a clutz overnight

So I wanted to wear something that made me feel very glamorous today, in the hope it might inspire me to stop falling over! DK Gold was just the trick, I really do love the perfume it's very graceful and elegant on me, yet still appropriate for work.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Basenotes Plus

Morning all, another day in Yves Saint Laurent M7
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Nothing here yet, but I think I might go for Strip again. My daughter's been awake since 2am so I'm not sure that my brain is up to decision making of any form. Have a good Tuesday, all!

Blog Entries

Lovely pics Roberto! Such a nice way to wake up.

While fumbling through clothes to get ready for a butt-crack-of-dawn morning, only half awake, I smell something eye-popping WOW!! Its the jacket i wore, that had layers of

Un Jardin Sur Le Nil and L'Occitane's Cedar
    good gracious, what a lovely!!!

So I am delightfully spritzed in my serendipitous discovery.

Feel all the fabulousness that I know must radiate off of you in person,
    since you're all so vivacious on here!
    Shine on lovelies, shine on!!
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

I've doused myself in a new acquisition: Ava Luxe's Tao. This is a sandalwood fragrance that I was unsure about from some of the reviews here but I took a punt on a 5ml bottle - heck, at Serena's prices, it's not such a massive risk, is it? And - as so often with her fragrances - it's a beauty! This girl has a way with sandalwood.

Tao is described as a lighter, airier, even aquatic sandalwood. Well that freaked me out straight away! Aquatic? Yuckola! However, I wouldn't say this was remotely aquatic, but because it's slightly fresh and certainly airy, I can see why the description was used. It's hard to say 'fresh' about a fragrance without an assumption of greenness or citrus, which this has none of.

It's great. Really 'go anywhere', well-balanced and a pleasure to wear.

Oh, I also bought a little bottle of Ava Luxe's Mousse de Chine which is oakmossy and fabulous. I'm tempted to upscale to a bigger bottle before the IFRA smacks all of us. And for those of you who are missing the 'Moss (yup, you Mysticknot!), it could be bliss in a bottle.

I hope your studies go well, Ines. Boo! to the sucky person who didn't want to pull their weight.

I am looking forward to picking up Small from school in 20 mins as this is the dreaded Gym Class Morning, which she fears terribly and cries and begs not to have to go to from the moment she opens her eyes. Poor little love, I feel so bad for her and try to support her and explain that going and doing it even though it scares her will help her be able to deal with horrible things she doesn't want to do in the future. But it's so hard to be brave and tough it out when you're 5 years old. But when she gets home for lunch she's done it for the week and got it over with, bless her heart. I can't wait to move her to her new school in January.

Wishing you all a happy Tuesday.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Eau de Shalimar

Yikes, wordie, just what I needed! Ava Luxe is back on my radar now that I got my brand-spanking-second-hand bottle of no. 23 the other day. Tao sounds delish. Can you tell me how "oily" the oil is? Comparable to Possets/BPAL texture or different? I'm a bit hesitant since i really don't like those two companies' products due to their texture only.

Today I'm in Jour de Fête, for my sweet tooth.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 24th November 2009 at 10:28 AM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Endymion from Penhaligon's scent library. A boring stereotiped modern masculine, with a sweet vanilla basenote I don't like. . I think I'll shower and put on something else (maybe Crystal Aoud by Montale). I'm beginning to think I don't "get" Penhaligon'

Poor brave little Small.

I have gone for l'Eau d'Hiver from my new travel spray, and a slick of miracle working 10hr sleep effect foundation. Even if it only does half of what it claims, that's an extra 5hours that I didn't get last night.

Diva - Ungaro
    Wishlist is pointless.

Haven't had this pretty girl out for a ride in a while, so.....

(GEEZE LipPrint...take care of yourself.

And Small? I am SO with you.....hope you don't have to wear mortifying bloomers in the bargain. But when you grow up all toned and bouncy, you'll be GLAD!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Hope you get that project done and over with today ineesepenes, my fingers are crossed it goes well!

I'm sort of with Small today...hesitant to go to the gym...it's the INSANE AB CHALLENGE this morning. I'm going to try to do 1000 (traditional style) sit ups in less than 1 hour Wish me luck, for this task I've spritzed some Danica Aromatics I Am Energy. (On Friday I did 750 in 48 minutes...so it's possible...)
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 24th November 2009 at 11:38 AM.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Vintage Guerlain Vetiver this overcast morning.
    "Are you a god?"
    "No"
    "Are you a wizard?"
    "No"
    "Are you a man?"
    "No"
    "Then what are you?"
    "I am awake.."
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Blog Entries

One last real day of work before a nice long stretch of days off and I am looking forward to some down time.

Re-trying a scent I think I should like more.

Bois 1920 Sanadalo e The

What to do with the scent that doesn't do what you think it should do. I like the House, as Real Patchouly from Bois 1920 is a beautiful meditation on patchouli. Enzo Galardi has shown a deft hand using a few notes to create subtle interactions as in Sushi Imperiale. So when faced with the 2005 release Sandalo e The I think "yum sandalwood and tea should be great". Instead I am sadly underwhelmed. The quality ingredients are there, the perfumer is there; the sum of the parts just never add up to a coherent whole for me.

The top of Sandalo e The begins with a floral accord of rose and jasmine along with a slight herbal accord. This only lasts a minute before the tea and sandalwood come into the mix. This opening phase is the best part of Sandalo e The and if it somehow could have remained this balanced mix of woody rose and tea I would have loved it. Instead the sandalwood gets out of balance and really takes over everything with the tea attempting to try and get back into the game from time to time. This makes the drydown almost annoying as I want to enjoy both of the titutlar notes and I really am only getting the sandalo at this point. If I want a great sandalwood drydown I'll turn to Burberry London for Men for a great example of how to do that.

Sandalo e The has excellent longevity and sillage.

I really like the idea of sandalwood and tea as complementary notes that can carry a fragrance. Unfortunately Sandalo e The is not the fragrance I'm looking for.

Have a Terrific Tuesday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Hope you get that project done and over with today ineesepenes, my fingers are crossed it goes well!

I'm sort of with Small today...hesitant to go to the gym...it's the INSANE AB CHALLENGE this morning. I'm going to try to do 1000 (traditional style) sit ups in less than 1 hour Wish me luck, for this task I've spritzed some Danica Aromatics I Am Energy. (On Friday I did 750 in 48 minutes...so it's possible...)
    Gosh. Respect! I am sat on the sofa with an alcohol-free beer and a sausage sandwich, there will be no situps here today

Blog Entries

Plan to test OJ's new Tiare from my new purse atomizer! Can't wait!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Hypnotic Poison
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by Hebe View Post
    Gosh. Respect! I am sat on the sofa with an alcohol-free beer and a sausage sandwich, there will be no situps here today
    I'm firmly in the Hebe camp here when it comes to impromptu bursts of athleticism.

That said, my SOTD is courtesy of Agent Ubu (Armani Prive Eclat de Jasmin), which I have now layered with Rose Alexandrie, so I am hoping every whiff will make me fitter by some kind of (very) remote controlled processs of osmosis.

Thanks to all who expressed concern about my early morning trials of Neotrantic Fragrances, which I have since learnt has no hyphen and is in fact a Swedish brand. Which goes a long way towards explaining why such an esoteric line would fetch up in a duty free area the size of a Portaloo, cheek by jowl with the Lacostes and the Escadas.

I was so distressed by my pre-flight sampling experience that I transposed the name of one of them: it is Manic Love (Women) - there is apparently also a men's version - God help all us brave men and women who try them...

Lovethescents, where did you get your Tiare from, you jammy dodger you!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 24th November 2009 at 04:01 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

CdG Series 3 Zagorsk for me...

Oh, poor little Small! I hated gym as a young one, hated it even more in high school, and continued to hate the required year of gym in college. I cut up my gym suit when the 14-year ordeal was over. Highlights, or rather lowlights, of my sordid gym career: in 7th grade, my low gym mark kept me off the honor roll. In my first year of college, I nearly failed for my attendance record (to be perfectly fair, I took all my allowed sickness days, and then I actually got sick--freshman mono). Now the strange thing is: it turns out that what I hated was team sports. I did distance-swimming, jogged for over a decade, and currently do Pilates and regularly go to the gym. So, little Small, there are wonderful ways to "do gym."

Today I am wearing Burnt Amber.

Today I'm trying out Serge Lutens Fille En Aiguilles. It's a bit short lived on me so I missed out the middle but it starts with improbably clean hippies frolicking in an evergreen forest then dries down to... fenugreek and home grown cucumbers?! I'm not at all getting the conventional candy/fruits I expected. Still, cucumber is a fruit.

It's so bizarre, I love it! I don't know how come it's so 'green', but not at all bitter and musty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hebe View Post
    I'll gladly join you this afternoon!

Ubu - good luck on your 1000 situp challenge. At least they are not making you GHD situps

BTW - GHD sit ups = feet on one of those back extension racks, face the ceiling and do situps. You will either wind up with a stupid crazy strong core or a crazy stupid sore back

Wordie - Best of luck to Small. The gym scares me too. Particularly the "gym studs" who can shoulder-press their body weight (or more), crank out 20 strict pullups in a row and run sub 5 min miles repeatedly over the course of 1 session. Oh BTW, did I mention that these are the GIRLS?!?

I hope Small winds up enjoying herself or finding a physical activity she likes to do.

Ines - good luck with the group project. I always HATED those things for just the reasons you mentioned. It's been taking me YEARS to get over the trauma and learn to play nice with others again. Still not quite over it....

Still working from home sick. Chest colds suck (and I've been doing so well this year). Wearing Alexander McQueen's Kingdom. Because I am not smelling so well this morning, not picking up the cumin note.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Ah, Therese- when you wear Burnt Amber- please think of me
    [There is a LOT of me in that one, believe me !]

Poor Small...she's a good lassie.
    So are you,fellow ginger one !
    [Glad you're enjoying so many shared AL favorites...like a perfumed umbilical cord between us !]

SMM, welcome home ;-)
    BTW- I feel your uncertainty re: this particular frag; lovely, but it doesn't seem to 'gel' somehow.

I'm wearing a combo I recommend for SMM, Therese, and other amber fiends:
    AL Dark Amber w/ Balmain Ambre Gris.
    Your pillow will seduce you.

B is sick, J's comin' home.
    A shoe-in for French onion soup w/ exceptional Gruyere...
    Who's stopping by, folks ?

I send you all my love and considerable healing powers [ too bad, they don't work for me ;-)
    Physician, heal thyself, LOL !]

Let us be thankful.
    Amen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvGdrNv5hEg&feature=PlayList&p=E5F4B3FA0FA 36947&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=29"]YouTube- If it be your will - Leonard Cohen live in Tel Aviv[/ame]
    Last edited by chayaruchama; 24th November 2009 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post
    Ubu - good luck on your 1000 situp challenge. At least they are not making you GHD situps

BTW - GHD sit ups = feet on one of those back extension racks, face the ceiling and do situps. You will either wind up with a stupid crazy strong core or a crazy stupid sore back

Wordie - Best of luck to Small. The gym scares me too. Particularly the "gym studs" who can shoulder-press their body weight (or more), crank out 20 strict pullups in a row and run sub 5 min miles repeatedly over the course of 1 session. Oh BTW, did I mention that these are the GIRLS?!?

Still working from home sick. Chest colds suck (and I've been doing so well this year). Wearing Alexander McQueen's Kingdom. Because I am not smelling so well this morning, not picking up the cumin note.
    Gosh Sakecat, sounds like you run with the big dogs!!! I've met a couple of those bionic women too ~ CRAZY! Feel better and get back to celebrating that birthday of yours when you do!!!