Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: What hairstyling product (wax/pomade/gel/etc.) do you use?

Wow, I'm getting sold on American Crew. I will have to try it next time.
    http://www.lookgoodinc.com

I use a product called Muk. It has an extremely strong hold and is not greasy or oily at all. It washes out easily with a quick rinse.

It is Australian I believe, and I don't know if it is sold overseas.

+1 American Crew Fiber

Basenotes Member

None! One less thing to buy...but I do have some American Crew paste in case I ever get a hair in my ass and decide to try something. It been sitting there for a long time though...

has anyone tried dfi d:struct? i would like to know if it provides better hold than american crew forming cream.
    My (small) collection:
    Bleu de Chanel // D&G The One EDP // Salvatore Ferragamo F Black // Carolina Herrera CH Men // Perry Ellis 360 Red // Versace Pour Homme // Dior Fahrenheit // Paco Rabanne One Million // Issey Miyake L' Eau D' Issey // Diesel Fuel For Life // Nautica Voyage // Lacoste Essential //
    American Crew Nine // Versace Eros // Lanvin Sport // La Rive Extreme Story // La Rive Grey Point // La Rive Athletic Man // La Rive Brave

Cant find Groom and Clean but am using some ENJOY texture cream and so far, it has great hold and is not as greasy as I thought. It is like a gel in that it tends to clump up like a gel, but comb through it, it breaks it up and retains some hold, unlike some gels that if you break it up, no more hold

I've used a few American Crew products, starting with pomade in college (brown label) and moving my way to Fiber (blue label) and Forming Cream (green label).

Personally, I now use Forming Cream. It gives a pretty substantial hold while still keeping hair somewhat soft once it dries (hair is still pleasantly "touchable"). The finish has a very slight healthy shine (not completely matte), but not at all an oily or greasy finish. It smells very good, and is easier to work through hair than fiber. Forming cream is really good for short to mid length hair.

Fiber has a superior matte hold. The hold is unbelievable, and it also doesn't make your hair feel hard. I think of it like a clay, but better. If you want a completely matte finish with an extremely strong hold, fiber is the way to go. However, I find it is less versatile, as it's hard to work through longer hair, and it's harder to work into and style hair in general.

To me, pomade is too greasy/oily looking, but if you're going for a shiny look, that is a decent product.

I had a friend that used American Crew Grooming Cream, but apparently it has less hold than Forming Cream.

I somehow received the Citrus Mint Clay. It smells good, but it basically tore hair out of my head and was impossible to wash out. I would avoid this at all costs.

Basenotes Institution

My husband really likes Dirty Styling Cream by Lush.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I switched. I am 51, so short, thin and thinning hair, especially on top. Pomades, too greasy for me to get enough hold, fibre can be too hard to emulsify, grooming creams not enough hold

Big Sexy Hair has a thing of gel called Hard Up. My salon lady told me a key to keep from getting too helmet head - wet your hands and apply it that way, or very lightly damp your hair. Takes some of the tackiness out and it does work

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    My salon lady told me a key to keep from getting too helmet head - wet your hands and apply it that way, or very lightly damp your hair. Takes some of the tackiness out and it does work
    I've found that if my hair is slightly damp, that is the best time to work product in my hair.

If it has dried completely, re-wetting my hair is often not enough to overcome the way my hair has dried and wants to fall. I have coarse hair though, so for others wetting your hands might work well.

I would not recommend trying to put in product right out of the shower or when hair is completely dry.

i was a hairdress for several years before becoming a banker.

2 products are needed to style and maintain a hairstyle, and i swear by these 2-

1) Redken 20 Mud/Clay

2) Osis Session Hairspray

these 2 products are suitable for ANY hairstyle, trust me on this.

i once took a ride on a rollercoaster and came out with my hair in place, not a single strand out of place. they are THAT good.

i use gatsby pink and purple one,

pink is for short - med hair but strongest holding and power of all the collors, purple comes second,
    finish it off with some hairspray goood to gooo, hair stays the same all day, even thru rain,
    cant really wash it off unless u use shampoo

Last edited by Xqizit; 7th September 2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: image error

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I had used Redken ROUGH CLAY 20 MATTE TEXTURIZER on occasion in the past, but now I don't use anything.

Joico Joigel Firm. I rub in about half a dime's worth while the hair is wet and then style. By the time I'm about to head out the door my hair is a little crunchy. Run the brush through (natural bristle, natch) once and it holds well and doesn't look overly styled - just natural hold.

I use these:
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I'm a American Crew Fiber person myself! But I'll normally but a little be of got2be mousse in right out of the shower followed by the fiber when hair's damp then some pantene hairspray.

I have blonde shortish hair so I can keep my hair where I want it to be and still keep a matte look.

I've never been more happy with a product but I've been wanting to try d:fi extreme hold holding cream for a while now.

Basenotes Junkie

I used to use American Crew Fiber, but the smell is insanely strong (even though I like it). The strange thing is that whatever tub of it that I have at my home becomes very, very thick, to the point of being a pain to work with. When I head to the other end of the state, where I spend maybe a month out of every year, it is much more pliable. It's not a tub-dependent thing either.

Now I use Woody's Web, which is a bit softer and much easier to work, but with a similar hold. The fragrance is less intrusive as well, more of a sandalwood that doesn't overwhelm anything else I choose to wear.

Default Fudge Putty is great

Fudge has an extensive range of hair products but I have been using the Fudge Putty for last 6 years.Its has medium hold and gives a matt finish!!Also allows you resculpt your hair during the day! Definatly worth a try....I totally love it!

I use American Crew Light Hold Texture Lotion. More natural look than with fiber wax, I've found.

My First Post!

I use these two products daily. The Sebastian Texturizers is in gel form and helps detangle and really settles my fine, medium to longer hair down. It says it adds body but absolutely does not, which is a good thing for me!

The MOP is really different than any other product I've used. Much better than a typical wax or gel as it looks natural and last the work day. It is super thick and you rub a bit on your finger tips and break it down by rubbing it for about 5 seconds. It's applied from the mid to tip and it's great. Separation, Texture and Pliable hold. Whats different is, it never stiffens or becomes oily. You can restyle with you fingers if wind blown or victim of hat head! I'll reapply a little bit in the evening if I'm going out. Stubborn areas like cowlicks can be tamed with a quick application from base to mid. It's odd stuff, works 100% better than any other professional product I've tried for my Keith Urban styled hair. I purchase these from Amazon now. It's just more convenient.

Banned

@ McFly - thanks for the info ...

&

Dependent

Fx Surf Head texturizing paste. Get it at Walmart and I actually really like it.

I used to use American Crew Fiber or Bed Head in the blue tub. Now I use Paul Mitchell Lab ESP. It's more pliable than Fiber and has much better hold, while still giving me a matte finish.

Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

American Crew Pomade

After trying many on my hair, I primarily use:

1. Pinaud Clubman. Despite initial apprehensions, this does not leave my hair slick or greasy looking. It holds well all day. Nice smell going on as well, but dissipates soon thereafter.

2. Garnier Fructis Style Surf Hair. Leaves a matte effect (not shiny), and holds well.

Both are inexpensive, and easy to find (Walgreens, etc.). Neither cause me at least any flaking or itching. I would rather spend my dollars on scents.

Right now I'm using this one and works just fine:

along with just one drop of this one:

good products.

Pinaud Clubman Hair gel and a little Groom&Clean. Great scent and hold.
    The secret of life is to be surrounded by people who get you — just the people who get you.

--Jeffrey Tambor

Basenotes Member DETTERENCE_of_FRAGS's Avatar

Bumble & Bumble Sumo Tech Pomade when I have short hair.

Using Bollox at the mo.

Last edited by laph; 1st January 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Bumble and Bumble Sumotech

Currently wearing: Envy for Men by Gucci