Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation What hairstyling product (wax/pomade/gel/etc.) do you use?

I guess the title says it all. Please give a short review as well Let's make this thread informative !

I use

L'Oreal fix max gel: it's gives a good strong hold, matte.

American Crew Fibre wax: I just bought this one, havent used it much. Only few times when my hair were short. But this gives a matte look, but the hold isnt as strong as i want. I guess its just my hair. It's not suitable for wax.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Default Re: What hairstyling product (wax/pomade/gel/etc.) do you use?

I use Loreal glue. Decent stuff

Everything else doesn't work on me.

LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

PAUL MITCHELL TEA TREE SHAPING CREAM - matte, firm hold, smells FANTASTIC!

Redken for Men Disrupt Remodeling Fiber Gum - slight sheen, flexible hold, smells good. Still prefer PM Tea Tree though.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post

When my hair was short I used Gatsby too! Very affordable and highly effective. Have you tried the clay? Kinda gives a more matte look.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    When my hair was short I used Gatsby too! Very affordable and highly effective. Have you tried the clay? Kinda gives a more matte look.
    What do you use now Matt
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    What do you use now Matt
    I don't use any hairstyling products now, bro. Hair is kind of long now near the shoulders, so I'm not sure I can do anything much with it haha...

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post

I use Gatsby wax too. I have tried many other brands but I still go back to Gatsby because it's the only one that can hold my thick and hard hair properly. I've been using it for 5-6 yrs now and I really can't take the smell anymore. I tend to use quite a lot and the fragrance from the wax really drowns out the sillage of most frags I wear. I wish they would reduce the fragrance in it.

@Matt, how much effort did it take to wash out the Gatsby clay from your hair ? I Or is there some special shampoo to wash out clay ?
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 25th November 2009 at 07:31 AM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I use Gatsby wax too. I have tried many other brands but I still go back to Gatsby because it's the only one that can hold my thick and hard hair properly. I've been using it for 5-6 yrs now and I really can't take the smell anymore. I tend to use quite a lot and the fragrance from the wax really drowns out the sillage of most frags I wear. I wish they would reduce the fragrance in it.

@Matt, how much effort did it take to wash out the Gatsby clay from your hair ? I Or is there some special shampoo to wash out clay ?
    Oh man... the clay stuff can be a pain to wash off using just shampoo alone. I always use conditioner first - this seems to get rid off the clay really well - then shampoo after.

+1 Gatsby. Reasonable price, excellent quality

I got this gatsby too

Doesnt hold my hair as much as i want to. . But it smells awesome.

"No Pain, No Gain"

John Allan Blu Modern Pomade: excellent. It give hold, shaping, texture, separation, whatever you want for a styling product. No scent. Little or no shine.

Yardley Lavender Brilliantine (lightly applied) is wonderful with a great scent. This gives a lot of shine and is so terrific, I can't tell you. No greasiness if applied moderately.

1940's Big Band Brilliantine: fantastic, with some slight issues, but alas it appears no longer to be available. This has a somewhat odd smell (very mild so it doesn't ruin the product); and the container is not great, but the stuff in both original and firm is super. I am sorry I didn't have a chance to review it completely while it was still in production. I tried to buy some on the Net recently, but the site is down and I suspect they are, sadly, out of business. Another worthy small little company destroyed by the economic meltdown, I suppose.

Trying Dapper-Man Pomade: not crazy about it so far. This maybe solely for extreme slickers who want hard hold. I have two containers, unfortunately, may have to try and sell one somewhere. I suspect this is not for me.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 12th December 2009 at 03:55 AM.

L'Oreal studio line hair putty styling paste. stuff is the bomb!! much cheaper than the elite brands and just as good. bumble and bumble makes a good product if you want to spend the money but it usually isn't necessary. JMO

Brylcreem

American Crew Pomade

KMS Hairplay
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Currently nothing, but I am seriously considering purchasing the hair lotion (sort of a pomade, but also with hair treatment functions) from the low-end brand Tabac Original- also scented like the male frag with the same name
    Apart from that, anything by Nivea Men or by L'Oreal
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 12th December 2009 at 11:21 AM.

Thumbs up Re: What hairstyling product (wax/pomade/gel/etc.) do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    American Crew Fibre wax: I just bought this one, havent used it much. Only few times when my hair were short. But this gives a matte look, but the hold isnt as strong as i want. I guess its just my hair. It's not suitable for wax.
    I use this, too, and there are several things to bear in mind when applying (if you haven't already):

You need to use a small chunk of the stuff to get any effect. I dunno if you have these cereals in Oz but the amount should be larger than a piece of Rice Krispies cereal but smaller than a Cocoa Puff. Maybe the size of a fingernail and probably the same thickness, too. Depends on your hair type and length but that should about do it.

Rub the chunk around in the palms of both hands to warm it up a bit. Then, starting at the back of your head, quickly work it from the roots of your hair to the tips, until you get around to the front. Take care not to overwork the Fiber when applying to your head; it seems to lose its ability to hold exponentially if you do more than five or six massaging strokes into the hair whilst styling.

Most importantly, your hair has to be DRY (or at least towel-dry) to get the maximum effect.

I am a big fan of the stuff, though (clearly). Hope it works out.

I used to had Shockwaves wetlook gel then Brycrleem modelling gel it ok.

Done anyone know if V05 matt clay let you create any style you want? i got short hair thx in advance.
    Cos im thinking of getting it when my hair grow longer lol.
    Last edited by perfume4life; 12th December 2009 at 09:46 PM.

American Crew pomade works best for me. I've tried many others, but none of them come close to American Crew.

Another satisfied user of Fibre here. Though, I definitely get best results with damp hair as opposed to dry hair.
    I also use a blob about the size of a dime (rice crispy size doesn't work for me as I have thick southern european hair).

I rotate between 3 hairstyling products; Axe Pomade Clean Cut Look, American Crew Pomade and Gilette Mess Constructor hair gel.

Out of the three my favorite is the Axe Pomade. Pros: It's not as expensive as the American Crew, it works well and the smell is nice. One of the great things about the Axe Hair products is they all have the same smell. The shampoo smells the same as the conditioner and all the styling products.

Gilette Mess Constructor is a creamy gel that gives great hold but it makes the hair quite stiff. I like using it on the weekends for the simplicity of washing my hair, rubbing some of this stuff in, combing it back and I am done.

American Crew Pomade gives the best hold and shine but it is very expensive and the smell is not that pleasent. It is overpowering and will clash with whatever scent you have on.

American Crew Pomade
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    PAUL MITCHELL TEA TREE SHAPING CREAM - matte, firm hold, smells FANTASTIC!

[IM]http://www.lookfantastic.com/Images/Products/pmteatreeshapingcreamf.jp/IMG]

Redken for Men Disrupt Remodeling Fiber Gum - slight sheen, flexible hold, smells good. Still prefer PM Tea Tree though.
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...AA280_.jpg/IG]
    Where do you guys get these Paul Mitchell, American Crew, and Redken products? I can't find any store in my region that will have them. Do you order them online, and if so, what site?

Which region do you live in? I purchase mine at my hair salon - any decent salon near you would carry both these products. Plus, Paul Mitchell products were on sale for quite a while (buy one, get one half off) which was great as well. If you need to order them online here's a reputable source (I know the PM Tea Tree seems to be OOS):

PAUL MITCHELL TEA TREE SHAPING CREAM

Redken for Men Disrupt Remodeling Fiber Gum

Edit: You can also find them on eBay at basically the same price as retail - this may be a good option depending on your location.
    Last edited by warlandsboy; 9th January 2010 at 06:22 PM.

I live in a small city near Pasadena, Texas. I know I've seen some American Crew products at my Salon but there wasn't many at all. As for Paul Mitchell I haven't seen that anywhere.

I'm really interested in the the whole Tea Tree line of products, including the Body Bar and such but I doubt a salon would carry that?

I want to order online as a last resort.

Paul Mitchell hair products can be found at virtually any salon here (both low and high end). If you are looking for a wider range of products the best selection you will find are at beauty supply outlets. Here in Canada there's a chain called BSO - Beauty Supply Outlet and I'm sure they have something similar in your area. If not, even Walmart here carries some Redken hair products (such as the sampoos and conditioners which are really good IMO). You may have some luck finding the body products at a local spa that caters to men as well.

have anyone tried Gariner Fluctis Manga Head style?

I use Crew Forming Cream.

I use Osis+ Mess Up..very good product i must say~

I want something strong. Right now I'm using American Crew gel and pomade but neither gives me the hold I want. I think I'll try that L'Oreal gel mentioned above.

Redken Manuever. Much better than Disrupt. I have been on a personal mission to find a better smelling gel/wax, and have given up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog22 View Post
    Redken Manuever. Much better than Disrupt. I have been on a personal mission to find a better smelling gel/wax, and have given up.
    Best smelling wax ? Try this It holds pretty good too. I will buy one of it in the future

"No Pain, No Gain"

+1 more for American Crew Fibre. Love the smell and I like that it doesn't really feel like there's product in your hair. I've also picked up some Layrite Pomade but haven't tried it yet as the smell seems a bit overpowering.

i like Axe hair care products this one and the spiked up one is nice too to hold hair in place even if it is just combing it to the side which i do. Lately though I have not been using product and i am doing fine.

Another vote for gatsby moving rubber , great product and pretty cheap too

Baxter of California Water Pomade which I bought online Check out the pic below:
    http://www.fendrihan.com/baxter-cali...ade-p-466.html

If you have straight fine hair like I do, you can't beat this stuff. Just enough hold to keep my hair from frizzing out. I think it's perfect for people who don't like product in their hair. It has a fresh cucumber scent also that fades pretty quickly so it doesn't get in the way of my SOTD.

Last edited by tabbakh; 31st May 2010 at 08:02 PM.

I have some Light Elements Shaping Wax, for thin and fine, very short combed forward hair cut for a man. I am gonna try the Grooming Clay by Aveda.

I have a 3.39 ounce jar of Schrwarzkopf Fibre Gum, called Thrill Osis +. It is like a pomade but not as shiny and on my thin and flat hair, more of a medium hold. I have switched to Aveda products To eyeball it, it appears to be half full looking in the jar, but the jar when new was only 3/4ths full, so I would say it has 75% of the original product as it was sold to me left. Would trade it for something that you guys think might work. Pomades give me too much shine and weigh my hair down. Id try American Crew fibre or something like that.

this was when it was newer, so it is 2/3rds of so of what this is pictured

Last edited by finsfan; 16th June 2010 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post

i like Axe hair care products this one and the spiked up one is nice too to hold hair in place even if it is just combing it to the side which i do. Lately though I have not been using product and i am doing fine.
    I use the AXE products too.

I mix the 'Whatever' stuff with the 'Laid Back' and it always works great and lasts 10+ hours.

Tigi S-Factor Papaya Moisture Leave-in Spray lavishly applied (what a fancy name - the fancy smell is soon gone) works best of all the ones I've tried for my dry hair and scalp.

Depends what I'm in the mood for, in general the shorter your hair is, the less product and fuss it needs. These days I'll use a dab (less than a dime's worth) of Phyto7, or else about the same amount of medium hold gel. If you recomb your hair after the gel dries, you will have a natural dry look.

[QUOTE=Master-Classter;1694664]

American Crew Pomade

This. I have really short hair, so a tub will last me a long, long time.

Another American Crew Pomade user here. I've tried many, it's the best.

I like B&b styling creme for a natural, moderate hold finish. I like B&b Sumotech for a firmer, fuller look. I like Paul Michell Foaming Pomade for a slick, poured-on hair look. I really dislike the smell of the regular American Crew products so I avoid them.

Jonathan Antin Dirt. Gives freshly washed hair that next day look, but it's not really for hold as in a traditional pomade or wax.

Does pomade make your hair greasy, or does it dry hard like styling gel?? I use Crew firm hold styling gel....

Nothing. My hair is short and wavy so it just stays put.

I just switched to Kiehls Gel. Absolutley love it. Its strong but isnt sticky or gooey.

For short hair, any sort of pomade works for me, as long as it smells ok.
    For longer hair i have to use some sort of holding product like a dollop of gel with/or a spray to keep it in place.

that's it basically.

Im shouting from the rooftops that Ive finally found my holy grail of hair products.
    Lush's new "DIRTY" Hair Styling Cream is perfect for my hair. Wet or dry, it has a lot of versatility, and I use probably a dob the size of a fingernail. Excellent value for money, and remarkable results for my hair.

Violet Leaf Hair Balm by Aesop

http://www.aesop.net.au/Aesop_Web_Brochure_2011.pdf

I like Aesop stuff generally and also give it as gifts at Xmas. The Hair Balm is nothing fancy but on the odd occasion I want to avoid the Einstein look it does the trick nicely - it's quite dry, not oily or sticky at all.

I have recently started using this...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Having had a wide range of hairstyles and having used a wide range of hair styling products from American Crew, to Fudge, to Tigi...I found them all to either lack hold or else hold too much to the point of looking stupid. This D:Fi stuff is awesome, holds the hair really well, can be easily remoulded during the day and it also leaves the hair looking naturally messy and matte if thats the look you're going for. It's pretty much what VO5's extreme should have been. Great product and one I will be using for a considerably long time now.
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Body Shop Coconut Hair Oil.
    Nice shine and feeds the hair.

For styling Gatsby styling wax is the business , you can get it from ebay or jlist.com

I have some AC forming cream that I use sometimes, Axe spiked look which is my daily and is about empty, so today I mentioned to the girl cutting my hair that I needed something and she recomended Johnny B street cream. She said it was kind of like the AC fiber and cost less for twice as much. We shall see how that works.

I used to use Aveda Control Paste, but switched to the Redken for Men maneuver product and have been very happy with the results. I had a 20% off coupon to Ulta, so I got almost 2X the product for half the price.

I use the new suave proffessionals version of the american crew pomade. It works just as well and only costs around 3 bucks at walmart you cant go wrong. I also use the shampoo and conditioner of the suave proffessionals line and they are great also

I use a couple

American Crew Fiber - love the smell, matt finish. Hair has to be damp; if dry you will just pull your hair out, if too wet it just sucks.

Lock, Stock and Barrel 85 Karats grooming clay. This is more versatile and my 'go to'.

+1 American Crew Fiber.

I used a peanut sized amount and lightly work it into dry/very slightly damp hair.

How come no one here uses hairspray? I used to use the men's ones from Cedal until it disappeared.

So I hunted around for one that was fragrance neutral, that didn't smell like a woman's scent (which most do). the first I found was the 500g can of Goldwell, Style Fix hair lacquer - super firm. Cost was $8 at Hair Warehouse in Australia. It lasts me over a year or two, and stops my hair blowing around in gale force wind if heavily applied. Every now and then the nozzel gums up, and I run hot water over it to get it working again.

For something with not quite as much holding strength, there's Salon Professional, which is fragrance neutral to my nose and costs about $4 for a can. It is availble in about in half the cheap Chinese $2 shops in Australia. It's good for moderately windy days.
    Regards,
    Renato

Does anyone use D:fi D:struct? I want to buy that one or the one Mervin uses = D:fi Extreme cream. I have middle long wavy dark hair; I don't like the dusty matte look and want a bit of hold.