Code of Conduct

Default Ebay listed new, unused, but looks not full? (Demeter)

This is my first post here and I'm pretty new to learning about perfume. I'm hoping someone here can offer some advice to me.

I just bought three Demeter scents from someone on ebay. The seller has 100% positive feedback and seems to sell a lot of health and beauty type products. These fragrances were listed as new, unsprayed. No boxes or anything, though they do have the caps. The pictures were slightly blurry and the bottles were on their sides on a counter.

But it looks to me like they have very different amounts in them. If I had to guess I'd say it looks like someone sprayed one a couple of times and another a few times. Is it normal for Demeter scents to not be uniformly filled? (I could try to post a photo if that would help)

I think I got a fairly decent deal on them, but of course I expected them to be brand new especially since I was planning to gift or resell one or two. I don't want to accuse the seller of anything without being informed. I guess if it turns out they did misrepresent I would be happy with a few dollars reimbursed or something.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? Thanks!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ebay listed new, unused, but looks not full? (Demeter)

When you remove the cap, can you smell the scent? If it has been sprayed, you might be able to smell it.

Generally on eBay the attitude is, "if it's good enough to keep, it's good enough to pay full price for." You were planning to gift or resell them-- getting a few dollars back would not make these more giftable or resaleable IMO. They would still be used bottles.

Decide wheher they are good enough to keep as is. If not, ask for a full refund upon return of he product.

A personal anecdote: I bought a bottle on eBay (not Demeter) that was advertised as full and never sprayed. No box. Bottle was opaque. It was a great deal.

When it arrived, the perfume smell was strong as soon as the cap was removed. But it felt heavy, and sounded pretty full when shaken. I sprayed it once; perfume came out with the very first spritz (indicating the pump mechanism had been primed by being previously sprayed.)

I decided to keep it since it was a good deal. But this was for me, not for resale. If it were for resale, I would have returned it for a refund.

Thanks for the reply! I have not sprayed any of them myself, and I can easily smell them when I take the cap off, from 3 or 4 inches away from my nose.

I wanted to keep one of the fragrances for sure. One I hadn't been able to smell before ordering so I had no idea if I'd like it or not, and one I like but is too similar to others I have. I would probably use both of them *very* rarely. But since if I asked for a refund I'd probably still have to pay for shipping both ways it would not be at all practical to return it and purchase another of the one I had planned to keep. If I'd known ahead of time that at least two of the three had been sprayed I'd have bid less since now I have to keep all three rather than having the option of gifting or selling them.

Blog Entries

Demeter is being sold now at CVS and I often see it at Marshall's/ TJ Maxx. They are always unboxed, and it's not unusual for customers to spritz surreptitiously and then not purchase. So it is possible that the seller didn't spray them but someone else did, before he bought them.

With eBay I figure there is always some risk, and bid accordingly.

By the way, welcome to Basenotes!

I have to add this: You can sell them, but be sure to list them as "used."
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 24th November 2009 at 01:21 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

If the fume sprays out on your first pump, it has been sprayed before. If not, and you have to 'prime' it with a pump or two, it is virgin.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    If the fume sprays out on your first pump, it has been sprayed before. If not, and you have to 'prime' it with a pump or two, it is virgin.

Thank you kbe, and 30 roses for that info. I learned something today!

Yes, thank you both so much! I sprayed the Blueberry Muffin (my favorite) which looked like it had the most missing, and it took about four sprays to get anything to spray out. So I guess most likely they really *are* brand new! Next time I'm at a store that carries Demeter I'll see if I can peek at a couple bottles and see if it's standard for them to have varying fill amounts. Thank you again for the help and information!

Some bottles, after sitting for a while, will take a few sprays for anything to come out. But if you push the pump and feel no resistance at all at first it's probably unused. Generally I don't expect to be able to smell anything off the bottle or from the cap until it has been sprayed at least once.