Code of Conduct
    kebabster

Default Scent disappearing on skin (& elusive search)

Hello. I'm on that elusive search for the perfect fragrance for me. I've been seriously looking for the past couple of months but can't find anything. This site has been really helpful and informative. I must have read hundreds of reviews before heading off to a store with a list as long as my arm.

I only tend to wear one perfume at a time. For the last two years I have worn Peony - Stella McCartney (and layer with the amber solid fragrance for nights out). Prior to that I wore Coco Mademoiselle.

I'm not really sure what it is that I particularly like in a fragrance. I love neroli, geranium and ylang ylang in their essential oil form. I think I like florals with a musky edge. Any pointers?

I have ordered some sample of Serge Lutens perfumes which I am eagerly awaiting.

Also my main question is (after a long ramble, sorry!) is why do some scents disappear on people's skin*? I tried sjp Lovely today but couldn't smell it after it had evaporated. I like the smell on card. Is it worth trying Narciso Rodriguez?

* sorry if this has been asked before but a search didn't reveal anything.
    Last edited by kebabster; 24th November 2009 at 04:17 PM.

Default Re: Scent disappearing on skin (& elusive search)

SJP has a lot of musk...many people have a hard time (or can't) smelling certain musks. NR is quite potent, so it might be worth trying it as an alternative.

I guarantee you won't have a hard time smelling most of the Lutens line.

kebabster

Ah, the musk thing is interesting - thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I guarantee you won't have a hard time smelling most of the Lutens line.
    So I understand. Can't wait

ETA: if I can't smell something on myself does it mean that someone else won't be able to smell it on me either? Presumably it's still on my skin :easilyconfused:
    Last edited by kebabster; 24th November 2009 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kebabster View Post
    Ah, the musk thing is interesting - thanks.

So I understand. Can't wait

ETA: if I can't smell something on myself does it mean that someone else won't be able to smell it on me either? Presumably it's still on my skin :easilyconfused:
    If it's due to the anosmic (inability to smell) rationale, then unless they are also anosmic, they will be able to smell it on you just fine.

It could also be something as simple as not applying enough, or a weak concentration. I find SJP Lovely relatively strong, so I doubt it's that in this case.

kebabster

Thanks again - I really appreciate the time you've taken to explain this.

I can smell Lovely on the card just fine. I will have to get someone to sniff me!

Scents can disappear from the skin, or seemingly disappear, for several reasons. I have found that when I have dry skin that scents do not last as long. Also, it may be the case that anti-bacterial soaps and/or body washes negatively affect the life of scents on skin. Another reason could be nose fatigue. When our noses are exposed to strong scents for any lengthy period of time, the brain can filter out the smell making us temporarily anosmic to the particular scent.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant